Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stay hard, Hang Zone
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2548 ... from-ktck/

Some speculation that this is a hoax but this is the 3rd straight week they’ve been off the air.

Post subject: Re: Stay hard, Hang Zone
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:25 am 
Site Admin

The source seems to be that email from Dan Bennett that was floating around yesterday, which may or may not be real and hasn’t been verified. I question why they would resign if they’re working out a new contract? They’re not technically employed. Why not just continue to work out a new contract? Maybe they already have something in the bag.

Like you said though, 3 straight weeks and 4 of 5 gone. So something is up, even if that email is not real. Jub has made several comments under his breath this morning.

I didn’t listen much, but I’m still bummed about it for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:44 am 
I'm a tool.

Shut it down! Let's go home!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

I hope they start doing a podcast. I would Patreon that bitch so hard. Fuck a bunch of radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Maybe it's the old man in me, but I don't see how podcasting will make them anywhere close to the money they were getting at the Ticket. Part of me thinks Dan and his ego is behind this. He and Bob also played chicken with the man until swerving at the last minute. Maybe Jake didn't have the sense to swerve and allowed Dan to drive his career right into the terlet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

5000 Patreons at $5 is like 23.5k a month. If they build on it and do some live streams on twitch like gordo I think they can approach what they probably left on the table. TC and Jake's little podcast makes 4 or 5k a month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:36 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

If Jomboy Media can turn a niche You Tube channel into a seven figure a year media business, Dan and Jake can easily convert their radio audience into something that replaces their Ticket salaries. I would listen. Jake used to bug me, but he’s probably one of the smartest and more well rounded guys on the station. He makes Corby and Davey sound like preschoolers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Bob and Corby have both made subtle comments that nothing is final.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Corby just addressed it on the air. Negotiations still ongoing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
5000 Patreons at $5 is like 23.5k a month. If they build on it and do some live streams on twitch like gordo I think they can approach what they probably left on the table. TC and Jake's little podcast makes 4 or 5k a month.

I guess really am too old then. The Musers have been part of my morning for almost 30 years, but if they quit and started a podcast I'd rarely listen and definitely wouldn't pay via Patreon.

btw it's good to have you back fruitskip and of course it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Some of these podcasts are absolutely banking it. The Chapo trap house podcast makes something like 180k a month off their Patreon. Dan and Jake could never approach that but radio is old media.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:56 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That is crazy money. I know there are youtubers that make serious money with their channels. Heck, one of my wife's cousin has a channel. She gets 40-50k views a video. I have no idea how much money that translates to. EDIT: I looked her channel up. She's got 736k subscribers and just shy of 114m views. I had no idea.

I've listened to podcasts sporadically over the years. Since Spotify started carrying and promoting them I've dedicated more time for them. Still, I can't imagine me ever paying a subscription or Patreon. The shows typically have sponsors the host hawks or they have ads (or both).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:38 am 
I'm a tool.

Kemp posted a cryptic message on Twitter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

It’s over

I hope you had the time of your life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
It’s over

The seat sniffers in the comments...the horror...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:51 am 
I'm a tool.

Solo Sean Bass 10-3 is going to be a rating bonaza. :click:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:16 am 
Site Admin

cap wrote:
Solo Sean Bass 10-3 is going to be a rating bonaza. :click:

That’s not a thing though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:03 am 

Tit Whistle wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
It’s over

The seat sniffers in the comments...the horror...

You’d really be blown away by the Reddit page and the MTC site. Wowzer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:20 am 
Site Admin

I enjoy some of the MTC comments from insider-y types. But some of the speculation from randos - that have no idea about anything or just repeating the same shit ad nauseam - can be an absolute beating. I just started looking at the Reddit page when the D&J stuff started and it’s tough to get through.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:42 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I like Sean Bass, but I had to laugh when I skimmed the Ticket Reddit and saw a topic with the title "5 hours of Sean Bass should be a war crime."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:01 pm 

I just now had time to read some of the Reddit stuff. It's like someone took a dumbass rake and gathered up a bunch of dumbasses, put them in a Hefty bag and emptied it out over there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
It’s over

Way too many people are more

It's the end of the world as we know it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm 

I just listened to episode 1 of the Dumb Zone on youtube. I enjoyed it. I found out aboot it because I still can't pry myself away from all of the silliness being posted aboot (I'm canadian) their departure. It seems most people on Reddit and MTC have taken the career change of D & J as a personal affront and are rooting for failure in whatever endeavor they finally decide upon. It has all been irritatingly entertaining to read.

Speaking of MTC, I remember in the glory years of forums how angry I could get over the overbearing nature of the GIML mods. It's silly to remember, but I was a younger man in those days and much more capable of raging out. I've mellowed out since then, and while I made up my mind a long time ago that the plainsman is a character I am not particularly e-fond of, in fact I find him to be an e-chode, his latest post conjured up all kinds of old school internet anger I have not felt towards anyone since the likes of the Kitty, the cow, j007, the unit, et all. Somey, have you read this all caps diatribe that is replete with all manner of foulness of language? If you haven't, please do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

I also listened to the podcast on YouTube. I also enjoyed it. For those wondering, it’s $6.90 per month or $69 per year (childish). One free podcast and three behind the paywall per week. I’m not sure if I’ll pay, but I do like D&J.

Most posteurs that I’ve read didn’t enjoy the podcast.

@TG - yes, I read it. While I don’t think it’s anyone’s place to tell Plainsman when and where to post, I do see where the posteur is coming from and PM overreacted big time. If you don’t want to post your scoop, then don’t say anything. He kind of asked for it. He also already backtracked on his “D&J are not going to the Freak” scoop. I think that’s the info I’m most interested in. I don’t care one way or the other about him generally. I tend to get angrier at logical fallacies within arguments. There was one that pissed me off big time today, but I’ve already forgotten.

Did you know the Freak moved Danny and Sirois to AM and Julie and Cavanaugh to PM? Not sure if that means anything for our heroes and I will let Gam speculate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

No surprise they're reshuffling. Their ratings are pretty much dogshit with no improvement since their startup. I read some speculation on one of those radio nerdery websites that the format may not be long for this world.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:29 am 
I'm a tool.

or somesuch wrote:
I also listened to the podcast on YouTube. I also enjoyed it. For those wondering, it’s $6.90 per month or $69 per year (childish). One free podcast and three behind the paywall per week. I’m not sure if I’ll pay, but I do like D&J.

Most posteurs that I’ve read didn’t enjoy the podcast.

@TG - yes, I read it. While I don’t think it’s anyone’s place to tell Plainsman when and where to post, I do see where the posteur is coming from and PM overreacted big time. If you don’t want to post your scoop, then don’t say anything. He kind of asked for it. He also already backtracked on his “D&J are not going to the Freak” scoop. I think that’s the info I’m most interested in. I don’t care one way or the other about him generally. I tend to get angrier at logical fallacies within arguments. There was one that pissed me off big time today, but I’ve already forgotten.

Did you know the Freak moved Danny and Sirois to AM and Julie and Cavanaugh to PM? Not sure if that means anything for our heroes and I will let Gam speculate.

who pays for podcasts? fuck that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:42 am 
Site Admin

cap wrote:
who pays for podcasts?

A lot of people

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:12 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm far enough out of the loop that I don't know what MTC means. Can someone define it or provide a link? I'd like to point and laugh at the nerds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

http://myticketconfession.blogspot.com/

It used to be an actual blog. Now the posts are just a photo of a hot redhead with a title that references something on The Ticket and comments on whatever is happening. I don't really get it and I looked at it last week for the first time in years. It's been around forever like I think since before the seat sniffer forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:31 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
I'm far enough out of the loop that I don't know what MTC means. Can someone define it or provide a link? I'd like to point and laugh at the nerds.

I didn't know either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:30 pm 

He started MTC during the where’s greggo days. The founder used to pontificate on Richie Witt’s observer blog in those days and would get nut kicked to oblivion. Same thing happened at GIML, so he did what the giml mods used to always tell people to do if they didn’t like it-he started his own dang forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:09 am 
I'm a tool.

bigboy wrote:
http://myticketconfession.blogspot.com/

It used to be an actual blog. Now the posts are just a photo of a hot redhead

good spank bank material

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:43 pm 
I'm a tool.

I feel bad for Blake. He worked hard for Dan and Jake. He was their Jamie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I had never heard of MTC either.

My conclusion is D&J quit with the assumption they would go to the Freak once their NC is up. Danny's and Siroises' NC was 6 months and I'm pretty sure Rhyner's was 9. Maybe the hosts' NC get 9 and producers get 6? Dunno, but it's safe to say D&J have to wait at least 6 months. However, I honestly don't think the Freak will make November. They started in late October and their ratings have been dogshit from day one without showing any real improvement. D&J wouldn't be able to start until at least January, and I don't know if the folks running things over there have that kind of patience.

This is all just spekuhlashun on my part. I have no idea what's actually going to happen :dunno:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

With all the options available to listen to these days--from streaming music and podcasts to satellite radio--people who still listen to terrestrial radio seem to me like the type who still listened to 8-track tapes well into the CD era.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Donnie and Matt McClearin: 10-1
David Mino and Sean Bass: 1-3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I wonder why they kept the time split 3/2 hours. Why not 2 1/2 hours each? Keeping Norm to a 2 hour show was probably a mutual decision. I always thought that when he left they'd combine the time slots and make a 10-3 show or 10-2:30 and have the HL start a 1/2 hour early, that way there would be 3 @ 4 1/2 hour shows. If D&J would have stuck around I think adding Donny to the Hang Zone Invasion would have been a good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:08 pm 
I'm a tool.

:crickets:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:50 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Cumulus is suing Dan and Jake:

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2023/08/ ... jake-kemp/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Apparently Jake was making $50k/yr producing BaD. He complains he didn't get a raise when he was promoted to host, but it sounds like he got a bump a few months after. He ended up making $150k/yr during the last contract. I guess the Eagle offered a little more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

"The Dumb Zone" Patreon subscriber count is at 4,582. At $6.90/ea, that's a whopping $31,615.80 gross revenue per month. I don't know what Patreon's cut is or how many people they have to pay out of that, but it seems like an impressive number so far. However...

Cumulus won a cease and desist order against the boys, so no more new content until their no-compete is up in January. Many people have taken to reddit to announce they will continue to subscribe to support the legal fight the D&J are in. Others have pleaded more people sign up just for the cause. I don't get that. D&J aren't starving. They (esp Dan) made a decent amount of money at the Ticket. They didn't get fired. They ask for more on their contracts and Cumulus said no, so they didn't re-sign. They had no-compete clauses that they knowingly and intentionally broke, and now they're paying the consequences. In short, they made this bed and now they have to lay in it. Giving money to these boys after all that doesn't make any sense to me, especially when there are many more deserving things to give money to.

Odd how the tribal mind works.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:26 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I thought they were going to mediation to negotiate a settlement of the no compete. Something like 10k people stood out in the August heat year after year to watch people they didn't know and hadn't heard of before engage in spare boxing matches because they did it under the umbrella of the station. And you're suprised a good portion of their listening audience are willing to give $7 a month to a show that isn't on the air? Cults are built on flimsier premeses.