Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: thinking about buying an iphone
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:57 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

If you're within a couple of months, they'll usually work with you. If you haven't noticed though, the Pre is in high demand and the stock is low. Sprint isn't cutting any deals right now. If you could have quelled your sense of entitlement for a month or so and let supply reach demand then you might have been able to work a deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
If you're within a couple of months, they'll usually work with you. If you haven't noticed though, the Pre is in high demand and the stock is low. Sprint isn't cutting any deals right now. If you could have quelled your sense of entitlement for a month or so and let supply reach demand then you might have been able to work a deal.

I know you are a sprint whore, but come on. I originally posted about this in 2007, sprint should have worked hard to keep a great customer bottom line.

Sprint reported sales of $8.4 billion and ended the quarter with 49.3 million subscribers after losing 1.3 million. Of those lost, 1.1 million were postpaid subscribers who have annual contracts with the carrier. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has been trying to stem the subscriber exodus since his arrival — and had said it should ease at the end of 2008. Instead Sprint saw about 4.6 million subscribers defect in the last year, with 2.6 million leaving in the second half.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:54 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Rockme wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

I know you are a sprint whore, but come on. I originally posted about this in 2007, sprint should have worked hard to keep a great customer bottom line.

Sprint reported sales of $8.4 billion and ended the quarter with 49.3 million subscribers after losing 1.3 million. Of those lost, 1.1 million were postpaid subscribers who have annual contracts with the carrier. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has been trying to stem the subscriber exodus since his arrival — and had said it should ease at the end of 2008. Instead Sprint saw about 4.6 million subscribers defect in the last year, with 2.6 million leaving in the second half.

I know the numbers. The service is still the same, so jumping ship just because everyone else is doing it is a pretty lame excuse.

Leaving your carrier for another because you want the phone only they carry is understandable, however if you're leaving for the sole reason your carrier won't bend the rules for you then that's just childish.

The iPhone a decent feature phone and with the 3GS looks like it will finally get true smartphone status (although some will still argue no physical keyboard = no smartphone). It's okay to want it just for what it is, no other excuse is necessary.

Hopefully you've adjusted your budget though. It can be quite a bit more expensive to own an iPhone over a similar phone with Sprint. It all depends on what you plan to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, shopping around for the best deal is childish. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:34 pm 

The iPhone a decent feature phone and with the 3GS looks like it will finally get true smartphone status (although some will still argue no physical keyboard = no smartphone). It's okay to want it just for what it is, no other excuse is necessary.
[/quote]

this might be the craziest thing ever written on this board ever.

the market leading smart phone for the 3-4 yrs is only now a smart phone?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I just used my iphone calculator to multiply 56534.12 X 934.3 and it gave me the answer real fast. I would say it's pretty smart.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:

He wasn't shopping around. He is still in a contract with Sprint for another phone that he received a subsidy on, and is upset because Sprint won't let him out of that contract and buy a Pre for the subsidized price. If you're within a couple of months of your contract ending, Sprint will normally allow you to do this. However with the Pre being in high demand and short supply, Sprint is understandably only allowing customers who are actually eligible for the subsidized pricing to get the discount.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:58 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Rockme wrote:
sweet greggo wrote:

this might be the craziest thing ever written on this board ever.

the market leading smart phone for the 3-4 yrs is only now a smart phone?

Not really that crazy. If you read the blogs and tech news you'll find that practically the only people that called the iPhone a smartphone for the last 2 years were those that owned one. MMS, video recording and especially voice guided navigation and tethering help take it to that next step, but a lot of folks (mostly those that just don't like Apple, for whatever reason) will still insist it's not a smartphone for the sole fact it doesn't have a physical keyboard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

It was a better world when we all had house phones.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:

with the curly cords! I loved those things!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
I just used my iphone calculator to multiply 56534.12 X 934.3 and it gave me the answer real fast. I would say it's pretty smart.

Drive by Terd posts are genius.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Hi Walt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:30 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
Hi Walt.

hi there, Terdlinger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:32 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

just bought a big ass battery for meh Googly phone. It makes it look like a literal brick, but the bitch lasts alot longer now.
That's all I got.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Just bought this hands-free device for my phone:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:15 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:

He wasn't shopping around. He is still in a contract with Sprint for another phone that he received a subsidy on, and is upset because Sprint won't let him out of that contract and buy a Pre for the subsidized price. If you're within a couple of months of your contract ending, Sprint will normally allow you to do this. However with the Pre being in high demand and short supply, Sprint is understandably only allowing customers who are actually eligible for the subsidized pricing to get the discount.

You are worse than the Hardline defending of palmero.

My contract is/was coming up, they did offer me the subsidy but I wanted a better deal, because I am a superstar customer. Their final offer was 248.03 for the pre, I got the iphone 3GS 16GB for $215. If they had given me $50 bucks off I would have stayed.

When Sprint gives up the ghost next year, I am going to IM you from my iphone while I am shitting on their grave.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:01 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

But hes got the good bone marrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Rockme wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:

You are worse than the Hardline defending of palmero.

My contract is/was coming up, they did offer me the subsidy but I wanted a better deal, because I am a superstar customer. Their final offer was 248.03 for the pre, I got the iphone 3GS 16GB for $215. If they had given me $50 bucks off I would have stayed.

When Sprint gives up the ghost next year, I am going to IM you from my iphone while I am shitting on their grave.

The purchase price for the Pre with all of the discounts is $200. Sprint must hate you. Regardless, you're saving about $35 on the purchase price, yet depending on your options you will most likely be spending several hundred dollars more over the course of your contract with AT&T. Since money has been your only argument for leaving Sprint, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Here is something I can't stand about Sprint. Why they hell after I hear the person I'm calling say leave a message do I have to hear some chick tell me how to leave a message? Just freakin beep already so I can move on.

Issue #1:
The chick comes on and says "to leave a voicemail, press 1 or just wait wait for the tone. To leave a numeric message press 2 now."

First off, who leaves a numeric message? We spend all this money on "smart phones" only to turn them into a pager? Ghey? I think so.

Issue #2:
So after her instructions you would think there would be the tone she mentioned but no. There is a pause which seems like an eternity only for her to come back on to tell give you more instructions on what you can do after the tone.

Give us a tone already so we can move on!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Sprint blows. I had them for years and they had the worst coverage no matter where I went in the area. Why would anyone shill for that shitty company?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:
He wasn't shopping around.

are you sure about that, shitposter?

Rockme wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

hi, Fruit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 am 
Site Admin

hey sugarbritches

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:07 pm 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
The purchase price for the Pre with all of the discounts is $200. Sprint must hate you.

They did offer me the phone at $199 and then charge me $12 for shipping and $36 for something else.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Regardless, you're saving about $35 on the purchase price, yet depending on your options you will most likely be spending several hundred dollars more over the course of your contract with AT&T. Since money has been your only argument for leaving Sprint, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not true, I spending less on the plan from ATT then SPRINT.

what is your anti-iphone, pro sprint argument for the sheer number of apps available on the iphone? How many apps does the pre have? How many will they have in 12 months?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I owe Fruit like $36 in golf bets. $36 to me is really like $22 to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:13 pm 

or somesuch wrote:

:babyarm: I liked having Sarah patch me through to aunt Bee just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
Here is something I can't stand about Sprint. Why they hell after I hear the person I'm calling say leave a message do I have to hear some chick tell me how to leave a message? Just freakin beep already so I can move on.

Issue #1:
The chick comes on and says "to leave a voicemail, press 1 or just wait wait for the tone. To leave a numeric message press 2 now."

First off, who leaves a numeric message? We spend all this money on "smart phones" only to turn them into a pager? Ghey? I think so.

Issue #2:
So after her instructions you would think there would be the tone she mentioned but no. There is a pause which seems like an eternity only for her to come back on to tell give you more instructions on what you can do after the tone.

I hate that too, but at least you can hit 1 to get the beep. My second daughter is on Verizon. They've got an annoyingly long message too, but no way to skip it that I know of.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:43 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
He wasn't shopping around.

are you sure about that, shitposter?

Rockme wrote:

His first post about it sure didn't indicate it. It sounded like he was just upset he couldn't get the full discounts for the Pre so he jumped ship.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Rockme wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
The purchase price for the Pre with all of the discounts is $200. Sprint must hate you.

They did offer me the phone at $199 and then charge me $12 for shipping and $36 for something else.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Regardless, you're saving about $35 on the purchase price, yet depending on your options you will most likely be spending several hundred dollars more over the course of your contract with AT&T. Since money has been your only argument for leaving Sprint, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not true, I spending less on the plan from ATT then SPRINT.

what is your anti-iphone, pro sprint argument for the sheer number of apps available on the iphone? How many apps does the pre have? How many will they have in 12 months?

That $36 was probably the activation fee. Gotta love all the additional fees utility companies can get away with.

I'm curious, what terms did you end up getting with AT&T? I've looked into before but it was always a lot more expensive, unless you leave off text and have minimal minutes.

The Pre launched with 18 apps, and that was bumped up to 30 a few days later. I imagine in 12 months they'll have several thousand. The SDK is set to be officially released in the fall, but a bootleg hit the internetz over the weekend. It's pretty slick. I wish I knew something about css styles, I'd make me a freakin podcast app.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:49 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Well this is fucking fascinating.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:

Issue #1:

Issue #2:

I hate that too, but at least you can hit 1 to get the beep. My second daughter is on Verizon. They've got an annoyingly long message too, but no way to skip it that I know of.

can you not hit # to bypass the memo?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:

Issue #1:

Issue #2:

can you not hit # to bypass the memo?

I don't remember it saying that during the recording, but I'll definitely try it next time. :babyarm:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Until the Pre has a fart app, it will never compete against the iphone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
but a lot of folks (mostly those that just don't like Apple, for whatever reason) will still insist it's not a smartphone for the sole fact it doesn't have a physical keyboard.

What kind of stupid fucking logic leads people to conclusions like that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
but a lot of folks (mostly those that just don't like Apple, for whatever reason) will still insist it's not a smartphone for the sole fact it doesn't have a physical keyboard.

Go to engadget or gizmodo, find a post about Apple and read the comments. Usually there are several pages of idiots (on both sides) going back and forth at each other.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
It can be quite a bit more expensive to own an iPhone over a similar phone with Sprint. It all depends on what you plan to do with it.

if you're a fucking retard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:37 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
bigboy wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

Go to engadget or gizmodo, find a post about Apple and read the comments. Usually there are several pages of idiots (on both sides) going back and forth at each other.

like you and rockme?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Hi Sagger!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:50 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That motherfucker! :mad:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

hey tit!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

son of a bitch!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sagger Pance wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
It can be quite a bit more expensive to own an iPhone over a similar phone with Sprint. It all depends on what you plan to do with it.

if you're a fucking retard.

wtf? This isn't my opinion mumbles, it's the freakin facts. Jesus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next