Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Diello Definitively Ranks the MCU Movies
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

So what about the various tv shows that are out there? Wanda Vision and Loki seem like no brainers, but are the Netflix shows or the shorts on Disney+ worth it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Diello wrote:
The Cap as Ruler of Asgard thing I think would be a good Taika Waititi type movie, just silly and fun. Truthfully, it's what "What If?" should be. As single, 30-minute episodes, nothing sticks. Pump the kind of money into it and make one story 3-4 episodes, give it some weight and gravity. And pick something like this instead of making T'Challa a Guardian.

In for a what if episode(s). That’s probably the kind of story the show should have been anyway. The storylines they came up with weren’t based on anything. The Peggy one was ok and Killmonger saving Tony was interesting - it was at least based on something. I really don’t remember much of the rest. I remember Thanos was a good guy in one and something about Zombies in another. There was something about a dance party in one. God that show sucked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

bigboy wrote:
So what about the various tv shows that are out there? Wanda Vision and Loki seem like no brainers, but are the Netflix shows or the shorts on Disney+ worth it?

All the D+ shows are worth a watch, except What if, imo. I don’t love them all, but I’m glad I watched them. But based on release date order, they all come after most of the movies anyway. The only Netflix show I watched was Daredevil. It’s technically now part of the MCU, but not necessary viewing to understand anything. D probably liked Daredevil more than I did.

I look forward to your MCU blog.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

And thus, A Tier begins.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:16 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

11. Captain America: Civil War 2016 -- A Tier -- Essentially Avengers 2.5, and I'm fine with that. A lot of fan-service, but also actually deals with the ramifications of all the destroyed cities left in the wake of each movie. It might be the most important movie of all the MCU, so many of the plot points are either the culmination of the previous movies, or lead to important moments in later movies. I would have rather had a true Cap movie, but distancing myself from that, this one's really good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

I also have Civil War at #11. I really liked that they touched on the damage the team caused. That stuff was fantastic. I wish there was a 3rd Cap movie where they could have resolved the Bucky stuff because that slowed Civil War down. I also really felt like they could have made the Cap/Iron Man fight at the end mean more. They’ve been in 2 movies together and they were at each other’s throats all the time. I’ve never felt like they were great friends being torn by different ideology. Maybe they could have used a 3rd Avengers movie that showed them more in sync and friendly before Avengers: Civil War. I also felt 6 on 6 was weak. I was led to believe there would be dozens of new characters. Crossbones deserved better. I don’t know, I may be too critical and I couldn’t write these scripts so it’s just picking at little things after the fact. It was a really good movie that was top 5 at one point, but has slipped upon reflection/re-watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:56 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

10. Spider-Man: No Way Home 2021 -- A Tier -- It's weird to say a top 10 movie is the most overrated movie in the MCU. This is all fan service, and the fan service works really well, in fact the fan service is what puts this so high. The plot service, not so much. Let's take every villain from every previous Spider-Man movie with complex back stories and solve their character crisis in a high school chemistry lab. And let's stop down big fights for funny conversations. That's a lot of bitching for a movie I really enjoyed. It's a lot of fun and Peter's character arc was well done and perfectly tragic. Very good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:24 am 
Site Admin

I have it at #5. This is where I contradict myself. I hate fan service with white hot passion, but the 2nd half of this movie was just way too much fun. I made my kids watch all 5 prior Spider-Man movies before No Way Home, so they could understand what was happening. So glad I made them do that. #teamandrew He got so screwed with that ASM2 script. I’ve also only seen NWH once, so it will probably slip when I have time to nitpick it. That Andrew Garfield/Zendaya scene though … my god.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:42 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My major beef with the Andrew Garfield movies is I felt they wrote Peter wrong. Mainly, in that movie, he jumps in to stop a fight before getting his powers and one of the big points in the comics was that he couldn't do something like that. Like us, he wasn't brave, he wasn't a hero until Uncle Ben dies. I'm not saying that they absolutely must stick to the comics for the movies, but I feel it takes a major motivation away from the character. It's similar to the 1989 Michael Keaton Batman. Making the Joker the person who kills Bruce Wayne's parents, then having him essentially be killed by Batman leaves Batman without much motivation. The underlying purpose of his war on crime is that he'll never be able to get Joe Chill, so he'll just have to get everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

I have no defense of the AG movies. I just like him a lot. Can we get the definitive ranking of all 11 Spider-Man movies? (Including Spider-Verse, Venom, Venom 2)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have seen neither Venom Movie

9. Spider-Man 3
8. Amazing Spider-Man 2
7. Amazing Spider-Man
6. Homecoming
5. No Way Home
4. Far From Home
3. Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man 2
1. Spider-Verse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

And for the record: Spider-Verse is the greatest superhero movie ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

And I don't even know how many X-Men movies there are any more.

First Class, Days of Future Past, and the OG X-Men are good. X2 and Logan are great. The rest are trash. I haven't seen the last several. But trash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

11. Spider-Man 3
10. TASM 2
9. Venom
8. Venom 2
7. TASM
6. Far From Home
5. Homecoming
4. Spider-Man
3. No Way Home
2. Spider verse (I know this is blasphemy)
1. Spider-Man 2

13. Origins: Wolverine
12. X-Men 3
11. New Mutants
10. Apocalypse
9. Dark Phoenix
8. The Wolverine
7. X-Men
6. Deadpool 2
5. Future Past
4. First Class
3. Deadpool
2. X2
1. Logan (not close)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
2. Spider verse (I know this is blasphemy)

Not blasphemy, just wrong. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:26 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Will there be rankings of the DCU or the Batman movies?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Will there be rankings of the DCU or the Batman movies?

DCU: Wonder Woman is awesome, The Suicide Squad (2021) is good, everything else is complete dog shit.

Batman (there's only 3 good Batman movies):

8. Batman v Superman
7. Batman and Robin
6. Batman Forever
5. Batman Returns
4. Batman
3. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight Rises
1. The Dark Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

9. Doctor Strange 2016 -- A Tier -- Great characters, great acting, phenomenal visuals, great story. Hard to complain about anything, really. Maybe a bit of the hapless comedy stuff with the cape, etc. Just high-quality work all around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:49 am 
Site Admin

8. Batman and Robin
7. Batman v Superman (at least it tried, unlike #8)
6. Batman Forever
5. Batman
4. Batman Returns (I always thought this was weird-good)
3. TDKR (I think it’s kind of sloppy. Side note: you can hear Bane’s voice creeping out in Venom)
2. Batman Begins (it’s really 1B, I love it)
1. TDK

I don’t have it in me to rank the DCEU. I don’t hate it as much as most, but they’re all about even, except the 2 that D mentioned. I would probably swap his #1 and #2 though. I think I like the ones that weren’t well received (Batman v Superman, Man of Steel) more than those that were (Aquaman, Shazam), but idk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Diello wrote:
9. Doctor Strange 2016 -- A Tier -- Great characters, great acting, phenomenal visuals, great story. Hard to complain about anything, really. Maybe a bit of the hapless comedy stuff with the cape, etc. Just high-quality work all around.

#14 for me. I don’t have anything bad to say about it. Maybe the first act was a little paint-by-numbers and I’m kind of over Cumberbatch. But he’s good in the role. The final scenes with Dormammu look great in Dolby Vision. Bigly looking forward to the new one.

My rankings in your top 8: 1-4, 6-7, 13, 20.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:36 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
8. Batman and Robin
7. Batman v Superman (at least it tried, unlike #8)
6. Batman Forever
5. Batman
4. Batman Returns (I always thought this was weird-good)
3. TDKR (I think it’s kind of sloppy. Side note: you can hear Bane’s voice creeping out in Venom)
2. Batman Begins (it’s really 1B, I love it)
1. TDK

I don’t have it in me to rank the DCEU. I don’t hate it as much as most, but they’re all about even, except the 2 that D mentioned. I would probably swap his #1 and #2 though. I think I like the ones that weren’t well received (Batman v Superman, Man of Steel) more than those that were (Aquaman, Shazam), but idk.

I forgot about Aquaman and Shazam (weird, I know). Aquaman was fine, Shazam was good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:27 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I haven't seen much of the DCU. I have a vague recollection of taking the kids to see Batman v Superman, but I can't remember anything about it. Everyone loves WW, but I lost interest after 5 minutes and went and did something else.

Last year's Suicide Squad was pretty good. The first one is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Haven't seen anything else and don't really have the interest.

I agree with you guys on Batman.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:29 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Shazam is fun and has no real connection with the rest of the DC movies. It's "Big" but with a superhero.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I agree it’s “fun”, but way too cheesy for me, and not a character I have any interest in. If I had to pick a #3, it’s probably Birds of Prey, but that one had plenty of problems too. I haven’t seen any of them more than once except both Suicide Squads, which I firmly put at first and last. Re-watch could help solidify the rankings, but that sure af ain’t happening. I did watch the Snyder Justice League (which I guess means I’ve watched that twice) but that was way too long to keep my attention. I’m not even sure what the stuff at the end was, though it seemed … interesting?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

100%, totally cheesy, which is fine by me with the character. Shazam/Captain Marvel is my favorite character of all time, so I was mildly disappointed with the direction they took, but I thought the result was good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
I was leery of Cap going in. Not near my favorite character. When I saw the TFA in theaters, I remember thinking it was ok to good. But after re-watch and the development of the character in future movies, I really think this one did a great job establishing the character. It’s a perfect origin story, imo, and I’m usually drawn more to origin stories anyway. I’m glad you moved it up, I was hoping for more than 3 spots. :)

It’s #8 for me.

I’d be sooooooo in for the #2 option. Not big on #1. I thought Cap budging Mjolnir in AoU was a nice little touch, but I would have left it in AoU. I already think this thing has gotten too “spacy”. Cap in Asgard would make my head asplode.

Did Cap move Mjolnir in AoU? I thought it was just a shift in camera focus that gave the illusion of movement, but it didn't actually move.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just rewatched the scene and it definitely moves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3bhQwY ... MovieClips

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:18 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

8. Spider-Man: Far From Home 2019 -- A Tier -- This movie could rank this high simply for the look and handling of Mysterio alone. Dead perfect. Con-man illusionist. Add to that the John Hughes aspect of Peter's story and I love it. One thing Spider-Man stories should always do is show what a curse it is to be Spider-Man. Everyone would have loved to wake up one day in high school with the power and abilities to stand up to every bully and right every wrong, but reality is that it would run your life. And where better to illustrate that than on the school trip? Make plans to tell the girl of your dreams how you feel, in Venice of all places, and some dude with a fishbowl on his head shows up to ruin the party. One mild complaint was the scene where Mysterio explains everything in celebration with his team was ham-fisted, back Jake Gyllenhall's performance won me over enough to let it slide. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:40 am 
Site Admin

I have it at #13, but you made a great case for moving it up and I will consider it. I do hate how Iron Man was so involved in this without being in it. Let him go. I also hated the Skrull twist at the end, but that complaint is very minor. This movie is still a ton of fun to watch. Jake G is awesome. I had it higher after first viewing.

We have 6 of the same in our top 7.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I try to distance myself from the post-credit or non-essential things. I agree with the Skrull part, but I tend to forget about it when thinking back. Right or wrong, things like that just don't affect my overall view of the movie.

Now I want you to rank all of the post/mid-credit scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Man, that would be rough.

Loved/Really Liked
Nick Fury showing up in Iron Man
Baby Groot and Drax in GoTG
Jonah J in Far From Home (but it stressed me out for 2.5 years)
Maximoffs in Winter Soldier
Thanos in the Avengers
Shwarma in the Avengers
Coulson and Mjolnir in IM2
Fury and Hill vanishing in infinity War
GoTG2 had a lot and I liked them.
Captain Marvel showing up to the Avengers Facility in Captain Marvel

Also, you need to watch Hawkeye for the credit scene alone, although you’ll get it without watching the whole show.

Most of the rest were meh to a waste of time. Some were nice teases that haven’t gone anywhere (yet).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:17 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:babyarm: Quality list.

Is Ferris Bueller's Day off the OG post credits scene? I can't think of a true post-credits scene before that. I remember Cannonball Run showing bloopers during the credits, but nothing truly post-credits. Maybe I should count the various Bond movies with the simple "James Bond Will Return in--" and actually name the next movie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:38 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Did the scene with Rooney getting on the bus run the entire length of the credits or is there a gap? It's the first real post credits scene I can remember.

One of the things that makes FBDO so great is the lack of a sequel (not counting the tv series since Hughes wasn't involved). That gives me an idea for ranking: best movies without sequels. None of the Hughes directed movies have a sequel, so some of those could easily be on the list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Rooney scene was during the credits. The only post-credits scene was Ferris telling everyone to go home. Which lead to the Deadpool post-credits scene. Which was then topped by the Deadpool 2 during-credits scenes. "You're welcome, Canada."

As for best movies without sequels, you're going to have to narrow it down. I mean, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, most every Kubrick or Scorcese movie, ET, the list is endless. You might have to say best movie without a sequel that seems like it should have had a sequel. True Lies comes to mind. ET would also be on that list. Close Encounters?

As for weirdest, most unwarranted sequels; Eddie and the Cruisers 2, and Another Stakeout.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

While it wasn't a post-credits scene, the original Muppet Movie had the muppets doing muppet things in the theater as the credits rolled. At the end, Animal turned to the camera and yelled, "Go home! Go home!" That's the first time I know of when someone breaks the 4th wall and says movie's over, bounce, yo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That's a good call. I watch the OG Muppets movie with the kids all the time but had forgotten that one.

Okay, now you have to rank all the Muppet movies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:58 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

4-?. All the others I've never seen
3. The Muppets
2. The Muppet Movie
1. Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Definitive

1. The Muppet Movie
2. The Muppets (2011)
3. The Great Muppet Caper
4. Muppet Treasure Island
5. The Muppets take Manhattan
6. Muppet Christmas Carol
7. Muppets Most Wanted
8. Muppets in Space

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
6. Muppet Christmas Carol

I watched this with the kids two Christmases ago. They... were not fans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

7. Avengers: Infinity War 2018 -- A Tier -- It's hip to say this is the best Avengers movie, and I love it despite some issues. One issue is essentially dismissing the Asgardians right off the bat. I know it makes Thanos and his army appear powerful, but after the Ragnarok storyline, it's weird that they were just so casually written out. Then there's the fact that for a 2+ hour movie, the vast majority of Thor's screen time is spent making a new hammer. This probably goes back to the Captain Marvel issue. They needed to do something to keep him away from Earth long enough for Thanos to be able to succeed. And so Thor gets a sweet entrance into the battle. Though it feels like he's not the all-powerful character they want us to feel like he is. And of course, they write out the Hulk to try to level the playing field as well. That's a lot of bitching about a really, really good movie. Peter Dinklage as a giant was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The ending elevates it. The good guys got their asses kicked. People love The Empire Strikes Back for the same reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:42 am 
Site Admin

#6 for me. I love it so much. The humor hits so hard, especially from the Guardians. There are three scenes that fire me up. 1. Thor’s entrance to Wakanda 2. Black Panther screaming “Wakanda Forever” before flying at the enemies. 3. When the train in the subway station flies by and you see a shadowy figure, then the camera zooms into bearded Cap. The MCU is really good at those. When we have this movie on at the house, I usually yell when those scenes come on and it makes the kids crazy. Along with Ragnarok and Guardians 2, this one has been a big bonding movie. It does such a good job of focusing on Thanos despite going back and forth between all the different Avenger groups.

Have our heroes not learned that you can’t go one by one at the strongest guy? They’ve made Banner way too goofy now.

My 1-4, 7, 20 are left on your list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next