Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coronavirus and You. And Me, too.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Figure this deserves it's own thread at this point. How are things? What are you doing to pass the time? Got any symptoms yet?

I'm now working from home full-time. The kids are home, too. I'm glad they're grown and can feed and entertain themselves. We have a good amount of food and TP.

I sat in on an hour-long conference call this morning. Otherwise, I haven't done a damn bit of work.

I'm wearing pants even though I don't have to. I probably won't shower today.

You?

Post subject: Re: Coronavirus and You. And Me, too.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:44 pm 

Bored to death. Wait, maybe I shouldn't use that term.

We are on spring break, but I went in to the office today, got a bunch of stuff done. I usually do that at least once during spring break.

Tomorrow I have to meet with the principals to see what they want to do about remote learning. They are wanting some sort of tech solution to teaching kids but we aren't a 1 to 1 school.

It's interesting how different schools are approaching this thing. I have a friend whose school has canceled spring break for secretaries and tech types and they all report to work tomorrow even though they are out of school into April. Like my school, his is about 550 kids total, K-12.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:01 am 

Today is my first day of furlough which is how it was coined and while it does sound better than "i quit," i got fired, or i was laid off, it amounts to the same thing. Salezzzz. My wife works in hospital administration and for her this has been like soldiers prepping for war. She is pretty run down and worried. Sometimes it seems like our dogs pick up on the vibe, but i have my doubts.

We are both guilty of not social distancing until this past Sunday. I was working out at the gym up until Saturday and we even went out to eat later in the day. There was an eerie feel to the errands though. None more so than Sunday morning when we went Krogering at 7AM thinking everything would be freshly stocked, but they were wiped out. Having church canceled triple dog weirded things out.

It's a crazy time, yo, and seems to get weirder by the day. I try to keep a level head but sometimes differing doomsday scenarios play out in my mind and boy howdy can they get vivid and the onset of panic draws close. I hate when fictional skits are concocted in my brain and my nervous system reacts like it's reality. I remind myself of that and my head takes over and blows it off and I can placate myself again for awhile. There does seem to be a dash of dread in the pit of my gut and churning butterflies whose mission seems to be creating nervous diarrhea. Good thing lady tg stocked us up with 80 rolls of tp.

Yesterday i had a massive headache. It was the pressure kind behind the eyes. I also had a slight runny nose. I also got winded walking the dogs. Every little thing makes you wonder if it is a symptom but then i remember there is also pollen everywhere and i got winded when we were marching up a big hill. I'm a naturally frequent cougher so i cannot really read too much of that one and fatigue is also fairly common as well. I guess I won't think to much of it until i register a temperature.

I can't help but think of how glorious it would be if GIML was still around to see the kind of shit show kickballhead could drum up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:26 am 

I just canceled my NBA league pass. They actually charged me for this month.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:29 am 

Here is a good article explaining the covid and how it is different than the flu:

https://wsau.com/blogs/tom-kings-blog/54/its-not-just-the-flu/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:33 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

If you're currently out of work, you could brush up on your plumbing skills. Judging by the number of people who think paper towels are a sufficient replacement for TP, plumbers will be busy in the aftermath snaking toilets and clearing out pipes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 am 

Quality stuff from TG and Tit as usual.

I had to hide several Facebook friends last night. My gosh this stuff brings out the dumbass.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Hiding anyone on Facebook that works in the phrase "But the flu..." has cleaned up my news feed significantly.

Closed to the public but still working. I'm getting a ton of shit knocked out that I didn't have time for in the slow season. We're cutting out early every day and I foresee some kind of limited schedule coming soon. I'm dealing with decision makers who won't buy into the worst case scenario until someone shows up bleeding from the eyes. The wife and kid are mostly stuck at home, although the wife has to go in mornings this week to deal with distance learning plans. The kid is living her best damn life. We're still letting her play with kids on our block for the time being. Since I'm working daily and I've probably already been exposed, it seems pointless to get too carried away with the social distancing. All I know is that this has been the longest 5 day stretch of my life and I'm ready for normalcy to return.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Social distancing is my specialty anyway and I already work from home 80-90% of the time, so all is normal here - except the kids are at home, but they’re pretty self sufficient. They like structure, so we give them a list of shit they have to do for the day and they get after it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:25 am 
I'm a tool.

I had to cut SB off early and come in. Got to get people setup to work from home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:21 am 

This is really happening!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:49 am 

Just looking at the overall board and seeing a post by Katrina made me laugh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I went into work briefly around lunchtime to grab a power supply for my docking station, and that place was deader than dirty dead ceepe.

Opened a door with my bare hand then absent-mindedly rubbed my eye a minute later. Soon you'll refer to me as dirty dead tit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:26 pm 

It's hard to break old habits, isn't it.

I was introduced to a priest yesterday and I attempted to shake hands with him.

He laughed and said, "I can't shake hands with you." His hands were in his pockets and he just kept them there.

I laughed and said it was nice to meet him and walked on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

WFH and have plenty to do but who knows for how long. Pretty tired of sitting in front of the damn computer right now tho.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:58 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mrs Tit started working from home today and it's been a goddamned nightmare. First, her workplace sucks. They had no plan whatsoever for something like this and had to develop something on the fly. After realizing they couldn't buy 6000 laptops with one day notice, the plan was to let everyone bring home their PCs and monitors. Everyone also got a USB stick to boot from for security reasons, so a buncha non-techie types not only had to set up a desktop by themselves, but also access their BIOS to boot from the USB stick. There were also fun obstacles like no access to Wi-Fi and a block on setting up dual monitors despite sending everyone home with two monitors. After much gnashing of teeth, she got set up and worked all morning before everything went kablooey. Network issues on the company's side. By 3:00, the told everyone to shut down and have a nice weekend. Hopefully shit will be fixed come Monday.

My workplace may not be perfect, but they were at least on the ball before the shit hit the fan. My only issue was remembering my VPN login. Otherwise, it's all been easy.

But like Fruit, I'm also tired of sitting in the same spot and staring at these monitors.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we cleaned out the kids toys because they never play with anything anymore. They didn’t put up a fight. I put together a basketball goal today because my boy is obsessed with sports. I’m probably going to do some painting next week. I went to Home Depot to get samples. It was dead in there. May do some gardening or do some shelving in the garage the week after. I haven’t done a lot of work-work this week. I also watched “Cats”. It was pretty ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm 

In addition to helping the poor devils at Hoob ISD, I did a little bit of tech support for my previous school today, unknown to the current tech staff, of course. They are just trying to get some distance learning going and the tech staff isn't responding to tickets as usual.

I was happy to help. However, it just reminded me of how much I hate the admins there. Fuck those sons of bitches from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:40 am 

I guess police activity has dwindled somewhat. The city of Denton lockup has gone down to nearly nothing. It is common to see DWI, public intox, and family violence suspects there.

There was nobody in the pokey yesterday and on Saturday morning there was one woman, a DWI suspect. I suppose the bars being closed down has quite a bit to do with it but people still get their drink on.

I made it an entire week without seeing anyone running radar. I drive through one of the biggest speed traps in Tejas and this week, they weren't out a single time.

I'm Hoob, and those are your Saturday morning coronavirus observations. Stay tuned for the weather after these commercial messages.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:53 pm 

Today I listened to the admin office ladies talk about how they are about to run out of TP at home. I thought to myself, "Why don't you just poop at work like I do? You'll never run out of toilet paper that way."

I'm kinda new there, so I just kept my opinions to myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:57 am 
I'm a tool.

They don't just TP poop. They TP Pee Pee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I started working from home last Thursday and the wifey got sent home last Monday. She's a project coordinator for a construction company. Yesterday she got assigned to 2 projects, so she has to work in job trailers now. :cool: The kiddo just finished her 3rd week out of school and HEBISD just extended the closure to 4/17. My guy says they'll end up cancelling the year. She's only had one class that has been giving out assignments but that changes next week.

I've never like working at home on the weekends because I didn't have a dedicated place to work. We have a REALLY old desk that has the REALLY old pc on it, and there's no room to put my laptop. Trying to sit at the dining room or coffee table and write POs or emails while the wifey and kiddo were making more noise than bb's in a tin can was impossible. So on the first day of working at home I mothballed the old pc and moved the desk into the spare bedroom. I shut the door and Cookie and I get to hang out all day. I kinda dig it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 pm 

Hey all you cool cats and kittens. I am feeling covid coverage fatigue like a mug. This seems like the 3rd Saturday in a row where I've been told we are 7 days behind where New Orleans or New York or Italy is now and just wait, it's about to be really bad. I've stayed almost exclusively in my neighborhood bubble for the past week and kind of tried to stay as unplugged as possible and things have seemed pretty normal. Made me almost start to become irritated, like we are all about to be Delkus'd by these bickering statiticians, preachy healthcare types, and the alarmist media. Then I ventured out into zombieland with the wife for a few errands and groceries and was reminded of how weird everything is. When the Whole Foods in broke ass Jackson, MS, is wiped out-- shit is real.

My wife has adopted a daily decontamination routine when she gets home from work. I had to set up this Sterilite tub next to the garage entryway door where she dumps purse, keys, shoes, and lunch dishes into. Step 2 she proceeds to Chlorox wipe all these items down as well as her car interior and the doorknob. Step 3: she strips to nudity and immediately washes the day's outfit and then it is off to the shower and no, i am never invited to join.

Talked to my sister earlier. She told me a meandering story. My sister's mother in law went to urgent care with flu like symptoms three days ago, failed flu test and has been tested for Covid and told to quarantine.

What does she do? Two days into quarantine, she decided she needed to run errands and drops off a bottle of apple juice to her father in law's Nursing home, where a worker checked it in and gave it to him.

After she did this, she calls my sister frantic and requested that my sister go to Nursing Home and ask them to give it back so she does not "infect" her dad.

Stay home, shelter in place, self quarantine. Hah.

We may as well be telling monkeys not to throw poop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:38 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Probably like the rest of you, I am growing out a quarantine beard. It's looking good, but I'm now wondering if I should groom it and keep it trim or should I go full feral man in an underground bunker? When beardful, I'm not a neckbeard guy, so I usually shave there. I also shave a little on the cheeks, and someone once remarked that I looked like Ulysses S. Grant. He had a nice beard, especially for the post-Civil War era of wild-ass beard growth. So do I continue with the Grant, or is the whole purpose at this time to just let the fucker go?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:18 pm 

I would go with the Grant.

I still can't go without shaving. I've had a couple of 3 day stints of no shaving but i end up caving. By day three, i look really haggard. My stubble is not a uniform color nor is the salt and pepper coverage even. I'll have some patches that are clumps of silver/white surrounded by really dark so the lighter places look bald from a distance. Then I'll shave and feel better. I just much prefer a fresh shaved feel.

I tend to go in the opposite direction of hair grooming too. Instead of letting my hair grow out wild ass style i find myself looking at the Wahl kit and thinking of letting loose with the #1 or even the 1/2 guard for the extreme buzz. I've acted on this impulse in the past and it's always been met with all the enthusiasm of a terd in a punch bowl by the wife. I've also thought about a mohawk. Last Saturday i was at Target and looked at some of the lady hair dye kits and thought about getting the white/grey color. Could be a fun experiment but I didn't buy it and decided to err on the side of unsalaried budgeting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

i haven’t touched my beard in a couple of weeks. I hate the way it looks. Too patchy around the cheeks. Good mustache though. Not as good as Gam’s.

Also cut my own hair. I used scissors around the sides and back though, because my beard trimmer couldn’t handle it. It looked a bit sloppy but who cares amiright? Bought some hair clippers the next day and my wife fucked up my son’s hair (he has good hair) so we just gave him the buzz cut all the way around. He loves it.

Kids are starting to treat this like a vacation. Complaining about having to wake up at 9:00 and such. They’re also not handling the structure as well as they were in the beginning. Also, they’re slobs.

Watched Bad Boys For Life today. This is the third in the franchise, FYI. They missed a golden opportunity to call it Bad Boys 3 and call the next one Bad Boys 4 Life. I can’t be the only one who has thought that.

Someone save me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have never seen any of the Bad Boys movies. I also haven't seen any of the Fast 'n Furious movies. I haven't seen Mrs. Doubtfire either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:14 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mrs Doubtfire is a good. That was when Sally Fields was still pretty hot.

My brother has been sick for a couple of weeks. He never figured out this crazy thing called life, so he lives with my mother and collects a disability check every month. He doesn't have insurance so going a doctor is usually not on his ToDo list unless he has to go to the emergency room. Last night he finally decided that potential death by the Rona outweighed his fear of having to pay a bill so he asked if I would take him to the clinic. So I dropped him off at the new JPS clinic that just opened in Euless about a year ago. He was in and out in about 1 1/2 hours, then we spent another 45 minutes in the line for the pharmacy drive thru. Turns out he only has bronchitis (I called it) and he got 3 prescriptions for $33. I'm glad he doesn't have the Roans, but most of all I'm glad my mother stopped calling me to tell me he was going to kill her with it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:31 pm 

Yikes. I would have been afraid to ride in a vehicle with the guy. Glad it turned out for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:

My brother has been sick for a couple of weeks. He never figured out this crazy thing called life, so he lives with my mother and collects a disability check every month. He doesn't have insurance so going a doctor is usually not on his ToDo list unless he has to go to the emergency room. Last night he finally decided that potential death by the Rona outweighed his fear of having to pay a bill so he asked if I would take him to the clinic. So I dropped him off at the new JPS clinic that just opened in Euless about a year ago. He was in and out in about 1 1/2 hours, then we spent another 45 minutes in the line for the pharmacy drive thru. Turns out he only has bronchitis (I called it) and he got 3 prescriptions for $33. I'm glad he doesn't have the Roans, but most of all I'm glad my mother stopped calling me to tell me he was going to kill her with it.

Did you get them some water?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 am 
I'm a tool.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dr-peter-hotez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Yikes. I would have been afraid to ride in a vehicle with the guy. Glad it turned out for the best.

If he would have had the typical symptoms of the cove then I would have told him to ride in the bed of the truck :grin: . I still wore a mask and gloves though, and made him wipe his hands with sanitizer before he got in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

Did you get them some water?

:D

I swear I'm gonna get her a Jitterbug.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:48 pm 

A couple of super gay things have resulted from this shelter at home biz in the neighborhood: One is the bear hunt. I first saw this on Nextdoor. It was some young mom junior leaguer type asking everyone to participate in placing teddy bears in your windows so the young chillrens on walks could experience a fun family activity. She looks like what you would expect. Isn't that heartwarming? Is this a national thing?

I also saw something about birthday parades and just experienced one. It's a rolling convoy of birthday well wishers who drive by and honk horns and yell stuff like "happy birthday" as they pass from a socially safe distance while the birthday person stands outside and takes it all in. I guess today is one of my neighbor's teenage daughters bdays as they just had one. They have a horseshoe driveway and a good twenty cars made several passes around through it. Who thinks this shit up and how does it go viral? Anyhoo, It was a boisterous scene. I should've called the cops. This is the tree incident neighbors. Can you believe they still have a dang blue tarp on their roof from when that tree fell on their house last June. They must be fighting with insurance or something. I can't figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:13 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

A new development during these times of pandemic is the newspeople broadcasting from home. Local news typically has a main anchor at the studio, but the co-anchor, weather guy, and sports mofo are all sitting at home and doing reports from there. Every 30 seconds they mention they're social distancing like their caca don't pee-you. Anyhoot, they're always sitting in some tastefully decorated corner, never in front of a Motley Crue poster or some unfiled pile of junk like you'd see at my house. I always wonder if they're wearing pants. Would you wear pants if TV let you broadcast from home? When was the last time you wore shoes?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 am 
I'm a tool.

The channel 4 weather lady had kitty cats in the background. It was cute

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:55 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
I also saw something about birthday parades and just experienced one.

Mrs. bigboy is a teacher and she's done one birthday party with a student via Zoom and is doing a birthday parade this afternoon. The teachers from our neighborhood school (our kid doesn't go there, she goes to the high tone school where my wife teaches :bigtime:) did a parade through the area a couple of Sundays ago. It was kinda cool and weird at the same time.

The haircut struggle is real for me. I don't indulge in much, but I insist on going to a real barber every 2-3 weeks for a good haircut. I like the getting a neatly cropped buzz, getting around the neck and ears shaved, and getting my eyebrows and ear hair cut the right way. I hit the 3 week mark today and I'm already getting anxious. If it gets bad enough, I'll buy clippers and let the wife do it, but that's going to be a last resort. I've probably only gone more than 4 weeks without a cut a half dozen times in my adult life and never longer than 6.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:03 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I typically go 12-18 months between cuts. Every now and then you gotta reset.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:49 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I get my hairs cut around the 15th of the month. I should get it done every 3 weeks but I can't be expected to keep up with that shit.

Last month on Friday the 13th I meant to visit my girl (does everyone here have a girl?) but didn't. The following Tuesday they announced via Facebook that they would be closed for 2 weeks. They're still closed :/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 pm 

I really don't know how I'd handle it if I still had hair.

When the news about salons came out, it never occurred to me the problems that might cause. I understand it now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:20 am 

Went to Walmart early this morning and do they ever have the crowd control thing going on. A cop was watching the number of people coming in, and there were multiple employees at the exits. I'm guessing at some point they were going to limit the number of people coming in. They had switched the IN and OUT doors for the heck of it. Doing this caused a traffic issue kinda like a figure 8 track.

A lot of employees and shoppers were wearing masks, the most I have seen anywhere.

I got paper towels. I was nearly out at home.

A woman with pretty eyes who is wearing a mask does something for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Ran an errand today and decided to fill up the family truckster since it was below a quarter tank and gas is going for $1.35/g these days. I pulled into the local Krogers and figured I could use whatever fuel points we've built up over the past weeks since no one else should need to gas up their cars anytime soon. Turns out we had over 700 points to use which translates to a 70 cent per gallon discount. Turns out it saves to hoard shit. Got the price down to $.65 per gallon. Got a little over 13 gallons for $8.75. I got my license in 1987. I don't know if I've ever paid that little per gallon for gas.