Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Money stuff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

A few weeks ago I was handling up on some bidness, part of which was providing my last three tax returns. I had printed out the 2 page forms from TurboTax. The person I was meeting with was confused and asked me "Is this all there is?". She said usually someone at my income level has a more complicated return. She's a lawery type and sees a lot of tax returns. If she raised an eyebrow at mine then it's probably worth it to me to evaluate my financial situation and see if I can (or need) to do something to improve it.

I stopped going to H&R Block years ago because I got tired of giving them $100 for something I could easily do, now made even easier with TurboTax. But SHOULD I have a more complicated return? Should I be going to a CPA? Will they find things that I do in my normal everything life that can help reduce my taxes?

I don't really have a portfolio outside of my 401k. I've got a small Roth IRA and I signed up with M1 earlier this year but it will be awhile before that account grows into anything significant. I try to claim medical expenses every year but it's always below the minimum so I don't get any deductions for it. We don't have childcare expenses anymore so I don't get a break there either. When I do my taxes in TurboTax, I take all the questionnaires looking for deductions but never qualify for anything.

I'm starting to think there are things I should be doing at this point that will help get me in a better financial situation. I don't live paycheck to paycheck but it seems like at this point I should have some of my money making more money for me than it currently is.

Am I the only person that's not going to be able to retire at 55?

Post subject: Re: Money stuff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:42 pm 

I don’t know enough about money either. It’s embarrassing to be honest. Should we PM Cods?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:33 pm 
I'm a tool.

Ask Somey. He's the richest here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Somey doesn't give out financial advice for free. That's why he's rich.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I use Turbo Tax and I'm sure I leave money on the table in the way of missed deductions. I have a buddy that saves every single receipt he gets and adds up his sales tax for the deduction. That seems like a whole lot of trouble.