Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shows to Go See and Enjoy 2: Judgment Day
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

And...go!

Post subject: Re: Shows to Go See and Enjoy 2: Judgment Day
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 pm 

This one is in the rear view mirror, but I saw a show in New Orleans earlier in the year by a local band called The Deslondes. I had never heard of them but a buddy of mine in South LA recommended them. I wouldn't know how to classify it really other than it's authentic. Kind of rockabillyish. I think they :rockon: and I think you will too. Seriously, if you ever see them pop up in DFW make a point to either check them out or not. They put on a great show. Here is one of their songs:

https://youtu.be/fnbsZzwPIwY

Here is another one:

https://youtu.be/23wpsuEyL6o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I saw Paul McCartney in June at the Rangers' Arlington Ballpark at Globe Life Park (yes, he played "Let Em In".) Bought some cheap upper-deck seats on Stubhub. You know how you can sit in the upper-deck during a ballgame and still see the center fielder just fine? I figured it'd be the same for a concert show. Nope. Was wrong on that one. They did have those big video screens on the sides of the stage so we could still see him. It was a really nice video production for us in the cheap seats. Unfortunately, we were actually behind the giant speakers they have up there and we got this weird reverb and the sound was out of sync with what you'd see on the screens. Not ideal. And the sound would change according to how the wind was blowing. SCIENCE! Still, he put on a great show. His voice isn't what it used to be but he's still strong enough to carry a 2.5 hour show. Would see again, but would spring for better seats, though the only good ones are probably the $500 ones up front.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I saw Paul McCartney in June at the Rangers' Arlington Ballpark at Globe Life Park (yes, he played "Let Em In".) Bought some cheap upper-deck seats on Stubhub. You know how you can sit in the upper-deck during a ballgame and still see the center fielder just fine? I figured it'd be the same for a concert show. Nope. Was wrong on that one. They did have those big video screens on the sides of the stage so we could still see him. It was a really nice video production for us in the cheap seats. Unfortunately, we were actually behind the giant speakers they have up there and we got this weird reverb and the sound was out of sync with what you'd see on the screens. Not ideal. And the sound would change according to how the wind was blowing. SCIENCE! Still, he put on a great show. His voice isn't what it used to be but he's still strong enough to carry a 2.5 hour show. Would see again, but would spring for better seats, though the only good ones are probably the $500 ones up front.

The wifey had no interest in seeing this. I should have bought a couple of seats for me and the kiddo. At the time they went on sale, you could get outfield seats for ~$165 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

$165 to look at an elderly man's ass or crane your head to the side to see him on a big tv screen?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
$165 to look at an elderly man's ass or crane your head to the side to see him on a big tv screen?

Hmm... I'm probably not remembering the seating chart correctly then. I remember the seats I looked at were on the opposite side of the stadium from the stage. I guess if he was set up in center field then the seats I looked at would have been behind home on the 3rd base side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Saw Vampire Weekend at the Toyoda Music Factory in Irving (yes, they played "Finger Back".) That was a hot fuckin' show. Literally. We were up front in the pit and it was like 110 degrees there. Mrs. Tit couldn't handle it and moved further back to cooler climes. I stayed up front with Titette because music > wife. It was a hot fuckin' show. Seriously. The band was awesome and the crowd was energetic. Good times. I am way too old for GA pit style audience member-being, but that music factory sucks when they do GA because the first available seats are too far from the stage. I was also dreading the post-show escape from this locale as we've discussed elsewhere but as luck would have it, we got right the fuck outta that parking garage and onto the highway in about 5 minutes. I think the key is get there early enough to get a good parking spot on a lower level. If not possible, try gam's Uber strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:38 am 
I'm a tool.

I'm so glad my kids like good music

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
I'm so glad my kids like good music

:babyarm: My kids like Ween, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You've definitely identified the trick to getting out of that garage. Get there early. That place was balls hot when we were there in June when the weather was still actually reasonable. They have fans, but it just moves around the hot air. You're a better man than me for standing in that pit. I was too old for that shit 15 years ago and I'll sit in a seat a long distance away as long as the sound is good.

Vampire Weekend somehow slid under my radar until this last album. That Harmony Hall song is catchy and it's something that my kid and I actually can enjoy together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:30 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We discussed it and that was our last GA pit at that place. It's a lot more fun up front but it's just too much on the ol' Titbody. We're going back there in October to see Wilco, but they're putting up the seats in the pit so we will sit for most of that show and enjoy it greatly. I appreciate the concessions that uncool Dad rock makes vs young people music. As William Howard Taft once said, "What a drag it is getting old."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:32 pm 

The National was last weekend. They put on a really top notch show. So did their opening act "Alvvays". I don't know why they spelled it like that because it's pronounced "always". Anyvvay, their lead singer had the dreamiest voice and I fell in love with her during their set. Check out some of their songs like In Undertow or Plimsoll Punk. Their set ended with Archie, Marry Me, another good one.

In the month or so before the concert I really immersed myself in the National's music and they really won me over. Guess it's an acquired tasted. Matt, the lead singer, came out into the crowd during Terrible Love and I could've easily taken a step to the left and reached out and touched him but I didn't because that would've been faggy. It was really cool though. He was good at working the crowd.The Santa Fe opera house is an awesome place to see a show with great scenic views all around. It also had very comfortable seating although most of the show was spent standing. It was a well behaved crowd tho, but this isn't the kind of band to bring out hell raisers. There was a big tailgate type scene in the parking lot beforehand with groups of arty looking people sharing food, wine, and fellowship. Apparently this is a thing for any concert at this venue, fyi. We walked by them whist drinking warm Ozarkas. We each bought a shirt at their merch table to commemorate the event.

5 stars. would see them again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I think Alvvays spells it that way for Googling reasons. Kinda like Chvrches. I like Alvvays a lot. I don't know what the girl looks like but she sounds cute. Dreams Tonite is another good song. Good for slow dancing at mixers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:52 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

For Gam:

Majestic Theater
April 13, 2020
Letterkenny LIVE!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:42 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
For Gam:

Majestic Theater
April 13, 2020
Letterkenny LIVE!

:mad: fuckin scalpers already snatched up all the tickets!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 am 
I'm a tool.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
For Gam:

Majestic Theater
April 13, 2020
Letterkenny LIVE!

I have a pair. I'll give you the RR discount. $500 for the pair

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
For Gam:

Majestic Theater
April 13, 2020
Letterkenny LIVE!

I have a pair. I'll give you the RR discount. $500 for the pair

You certainly DO have a pair for trynna charge that much!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Lady I sit next to at work is hella pissed about the scalpers. It's a popular show at her house and they all wanna see it. I'd see it too, but I'm the only one in my house who's into the show, and I don't wanna sit there alone, especially at scalper prices. I'm on season 3 right now. The Letterkenny vernacular is starting to infiltrate my own.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You haves the best opinions on what's good show watchin's, and that's what I appreciates about ya.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live at the Winspear Opera House. This is pretty much just another episode of the show. They get the puppets out and do some shtick, then they show a movie on a big screen and talk over it. The movie this time was the 80s karate classic "No Retreat, No Surrender" featuring Jean Claude van Damme. Man, what a stinkeroo. This is the last tour starring Joel Hodgson. He's hanging up the jumpsuit after this. Good times.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Ween is coming to town. Apr 3, Southside Ballroom.

See everyone there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:54 am 
I'm a tool.

My wife bought tickets to the Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison and Joan Jett. I'm going to that to watch old, fat, white people try to rock out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:36 am 

The best thing about Motley Crue these days are the Vince Meal memes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Motley Crue is pretty much the only one out of that group worth seeing for me. I wonder if Camaro Vbear will be there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I got tickets to see The Flaming Lips perform their entire Soft Bulletin album at the Meyerson. They're gonna do it with an orchestra behind them, so it'll be like that Metallica S&M album except it won't suck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:30 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
I got tickets to see The Flaming Lips perform their entire Soft Bulletin album at the Meyerson. They're gonna do it with an orchestra behind them, so it'll be like that Metallica S&M album except it won't suck.

What was there a pandemic clause in their refund policy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Officially, it's postponed, so no refunds yet. Our tix will still be honored so we'll just wait till it's rescheduled. Same with the Ween show. That's currently rescheduled for September. We'll see if the date holds.

I think if a show is canceled you can get a refund. Anything else you gotta wait.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:01 am 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Officially, it's postponed, so no refunds yet. Our tix will still be honored so we'll just wait till it's rescheduled. Same with the Ween show. That's currently rescheduled for September. We'll see if the date holds.

I think if a show is canceled you can get a refund. Anything else you gotta wait.

Ticketmaster are a bunch of cheap mf bastards. The shows WILL BE CANCELED, give me my refund.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:46 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Ticketmaster are a bunch of cheap mf bastards. The shows WILL BE CANCELED, give me my refund.

Tell them you also want the interest they earned while the money was sitting in their account.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

6 months interest on concert tickets that cost a hundred bucks each? Hell, yeah. Tit will finally be able to afford to buy a soft drink at Sonic outside of happy hour.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
6 months interest on concert tickets that cost a hundred bucks each? Hell, yeah. Tit will finally be able to afford to buy a soft drink at Sonic outside of happy hour.

Better he gets it back than to let TM have a bunch of free money. Did you see Superman III? Or Office Space? Those few cents start to add up. There's 2,000 seats at the Meyerson. For shits n giggles we'll say that all seats averaged $100/ea. That's $200k. Now add in the money from all of the other cancelled concerts around the country. It could easily be in the 10's of millions. All that money may be sitting in an account early daily compounded interest. Also, fuck Ticketmaster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I got my Flaming Lips tickets directly from the Dallas Symphony. Ticketmaster was not involved. Also, we wanna see this show if they reschedule so it's not a problem to hang onto them. They already said they'll honor existing tickets. It's not breaking my bank to keep them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I guess I just don’t have enough fucks to give when it comes to worrying about Ticketmaster earning interest from holding ticket money for cancelled. I had Avett Brothers tickets for this Friday. The show was postponed into June and cancelled a week ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You've no fucks to give for big business sticking it to the little guy? You've no fucks to give for corporate fat cats lining their pockets with the blood and sweat of the common man? You wanna see how deep this rabbit hole really goes or are you a globalist? I'll admit, I was anticipating the low energy, country cuck road show, but you're curious. Color me glad. It's time to wake up. It's time for you to spit out all of the toxic sludge you've been spoon fed by the Ian Hanomansings and the Gloria Macarenkos of the world. News flash, the out of control PC police are forcing your beloved Letterkenny Chiefs to change their name. And we want you, the salt of the earth alphas, the stewards of traditional morals, traditional values, the silent majority, to join us. The fight against poor, uneducated libtards requires nothing short of a massacre. The point is the government is trying to keep you and your humble agricultural livelihoods thoroughly cucked. It's time to wake up and smell the chem trails! It's time to stand up for your God given right to have kick-ass names for all your favorite teams, and fuck anybody whose feelings get hurt along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:54 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:words:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I can't say I completely don't give a shit. Ticketmaster is a dog shit company, yes, but making interest off of ticket money that will eventually be refunded is pretty low on the lists of reasons why. That is a business practice that's hardly unique to Ticketmaster. I'm more perturbed about the $25 per ticket service charge they're bending me over for on the front end of the transaction than the $1 in interest on the back end. And if it's concert tickets, that's generally throw away money for me. It's not like I was going to save it and draw interest on it in the first place. If I didn't buy concert tickets, I probably would have spent it on a trip to the gun range or a Ranger game or some kind of kick ass yard tool I don't need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Last night I got to see a lot of new grandmothers in spandex at the Duran Duran show at Dickies Arena in the 817. When I was in 6th grade, I came up with a plan: I'd be the one guy who liked Duran Duran as an in with all the girls. It didn't work. Everyone just thought I was gay. Ambiguous Elementary School Sexual Orientations aside, I still love Duran Duran. I'd debated seeing them live several times without pulling the trigger, due to cost, timing (not a fan of the mid-week concert, I'm old), etc. Pulled the trigger now because who knows when tours get cancelled due to pandemics or band members' cocaine-hearts finally giving out. 100% glad I saw them finally. Really fun show. Always a gamble with these bands as to how much new-album stuff they're going to play vs. the classics, which was the main reason I never saw Prince. Also this was 4 of the 5 members of the classic line-up (2 out of the 3 Taylors), also a gamble. They were missing the guitarist, but he didn't even play with them when they had their bit of resurgence in the 90s.

Show was great. Simon Le Bon was so high-energy that it was infectious. Nick Rhodes wore a shiny suit. So easy to sing along with Hungry Like the Wolf, Notorious, Wild Boys, View to a Kill, Union of the Snake, The Reflex, etc. Great bit: when they did Girls on Film, they switched in the middle of the song to Calvin Harris's "Acceptable in the 80s" before going back.

Niles Rodgers and "Chic" opened and were fun. Only a couple disco songs, then they went through a bunch of songs he wrote for other people, including Daft Punk.

Only hits they didn't play were New Moon on Monday and Is There Something I Should Say. So many great classic pop songs. They closed with Rio. Been singing it all day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I saw them live during their early 90s resurgence and they put on a hell of a show. Even then on the heels of a popular new album, they just plowed through the hits. It was great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
Only hits they didn't play were New Moon on Monday and Is There Something I Should Say.

Crazy that they have so many hits they couldn't get to them all. I really like both of those songs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:37 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

They played 3-4 new songs plus a couple deep cuts (Hold Back the Rain and Planet Earth) plus they covered White Lines.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Set list (*new album songs):

Wild Boys
Hungry Like the Wolf
Invisble*
All of You*
Notorious
View to a Kill
Come Undone
Give it All Up*
Careless Memories (didn't know this one)
Ordinary World
Tonight United*
Planet Earth
Hold Back the Rain
The Reflex
White Lines
Girls on Film
Save a Prayer
Rio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Turns out Mrs Tit wanted to see Duran Duran but I never took her seriously enough to buy her tickets. Am I Damone, and I'm supposed to procure tickets to everything for everybody? She knows how to buy shit on the internet. This is not my fault.