Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watch Hoob fail at getting into shape blog
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm 

Things fell into place so I could get another ride in today before the rain hits. Rode the 9 mile trail, was sore at first. About 5 miles in, I ran out of gas, which is very unusual. Ate a protein bar and I was ok after that. I've ridden many times on an empty stomach and that didn't happen.

It was 57 degrees. In addition to the normal attire, I wore tights, a light long-sleeve undershirt, and winter gloves.

Looked at myself in the mirror and I am so unathletic looking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:21 pm 

Had a lot to do today, made time to ride and glad I did. Took the 9 mile, one hour ride and enjoyed it.

Before I left, there were 4 guys talking about going another round. One talked about breaking two derailleurs on this trail. I was thinking to myself, "I am one of you!"

They also talked about a night ride in the future. One jokingly said they could combine a night ride and a feral pig hunt. I have done one night ride in my life and I loved it, but there is no damn way I would do that there with the hog activity that is there. No. Way.

I had fun. Wore tights, a cheap thin undershirt, a thicker skull cap, and winter riding gloves. Temp was in the mid-fifties. Spent some time thinking about what I would have to wear after this cold front hits.

This is probably the fourth time in my life I've been this low in weight, and this time I did it by watching calories. Picking out clothing to wear to work is a lot easier these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The pandemic has given me an excuse to be lazy and get too damn fat again. Fat enough that my doc said I'd qualify to move up on the vaccine list because of my pre-existing condition: too damn fat.

I gotta get outside and talk a walk or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
The pandemic has given me an excuse to be lazy and get too damn fat again. Fat enough that my doc said I'd qualify to move up on the vaccine list because of my pre-existing condition: too damn fat.

Same. I go to the doctor next month for my annual physical. I'm not looking forward to finding out how much I weigh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:03 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

Same. I go to the doctor next month for my annual physical. I'm not looking forward to finding out how much I weigh.

I'll pray for you, Tit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:14 pm 

The last ride was on February 8 and today was the perfect day to get back on the bike. Finished up the chores and off I went to the local trail.

Rode exactly an hour at a leisurely pace. I am not in good riding shape but that is fixable. My bad knee was hurting some but the pain eventually went away.

Noticed some people riding four wheelers at the motorized park that is next to the bicycle trail.

I had fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:46 pm 

Did a long ride today and felt surprisingly good. Because of the recent rain, traction was really good and the climbs were easier. I made the big climb on the second try. No way I do that on a normal day at my current level of conditioning. But I'll take it.

Got decent air on the jump, giggled like a girl afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:25 pm 

Saturday morning: did a long ride and had a hard time with the advanced part. Became aggravated at my inability to climb anything. Once I got back on the easier parts, I was happy again. It's a miracle I didn't crash, and I had several close calls with it. Went wide right on the jump, got kinda close to a nearby tree when I landed.

Sunday afternoon: my tail was sore so I decided to just do a simple one hour ride. Got a Zebra cake afterward.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Go star crunch or go home

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:49 pm 

I'll try to remember that the next time I go. I've never had that one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:38 pm 

Went after work and rode the simple one-hour ride. For an hour, I forgot about things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:20 am 

jim jack wrote:
Went after work and rode the simple one-hour ride. For an hour, I forgot about things.

Even the suggestion to pick up a star crunch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:50 am 

Ok, that got a big LOL outta me.

I'll ride again on Sunday and get one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:24 pm 

Decided today that seat time and exercise was more important than action and adventure, so I took the one hour loop twice. Saw a few hikers including a neighbor that I refer to as "meth teeth girl." She was smoking, of course. An oddity about this woman is, I walked up on her at a convenience store once and she was talking to a friend about some guy that had a bigger dick than some other one. What a world we live in.

Was on the bike two hours, went something like 18 miles. I didn't ride hard at all.

I forgot to bring my wallet. At my age, this is really dumb because if I died on the trail, they would have a hard time identifying my dead ass. More importantly, it meant no money for a Star Crunch for old Hoob.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:18 pm 

Since every trail around here is under water, I went out to Jacksboro and rode the trail around the lake at Fort Richardson. Was on the bike 1 hour, 40 minutes an rode 18 miles. Noticed at some point I was pedaling too slow because of fatigue. The rule is, pedal at a pretty fast rate. If you can't do that, downshift until you can.

After the ride, went to the little hamburger stand in town and got a burger. They were busy. Some old guy was telling me about his time working in a dairy as a kid. In the short time I was there waiting for my food, I heard the same story twice. Geez, that's going to be me in 10 years.

The plan is to go again Sunday if it doesn't rain, and if I can get out of bed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:09 pm 

Same place today, rode quite a bit harder. Pretty worn down at the end, but I enjoyed it more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:10 pm 

Same place again. I like vacation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:44 pm 

Same place, was windy today. That wind. She is a bitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:23 pm 

The local trail opened and I went today. I did ok.

Since this place is usually the first in DFW to open after a big rain, we get a lot of newbs who drive up here. I sometimes encounter people who don't know the trail and are riding the wrong way.

That happened today and I assured the party of three it was no big deal. The trail is not marked as well as it should be.

It was 91 degrees and humid. My balls got sweaty. Balls.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 pm 

Local trail, felt better today. Look out, grannies. Hoob is feelin' his oats.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:43 pm 

Local trail. One of my to-do things is to do 2 laps of the full trail.

Did it today. Stopped and ate a sandwich and a protein bar after lap one, which took 1:25.

I needed colder water for lap 2. It was warm for the final 30 minutes and it makes a big difference.

Was on the bike 2:50. I probably need to miss a day.

*Opens beer*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 pm 

Local trail, went one lap for 11.85 miles. More humidity today but I'm in a little bit better shape so it wasn't as big of a deal as it could have been.

As I was packing up I met a random guy who was about to go ride. After about five minutes of talk, I figured out that his dad coached at my high school when I was a senior. My hometown is 105 miles from here.

This was ride 9 of vacation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:10 pm 

Last ride of vacation was today, rode the local trail and went 11.85 miles. While going through chickenshit pass, I hit the rocks wrong and got thrown straight up into the air like I was riding a bull. I didn't wreck, but I did laugh a lot. Regretted not bringing the GoPro for that one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:47 pm 

After working two days, I decided that was enough of that and took today off. Rode the usual 11.85, sweated up a storm. Enjoyed myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:36 pm 

Since rain might happen overnight and I don't have a date today, I rode this afternoon. During the ride I got thrashed by thorny branches that needed to be trimmed.

I keep a hand trimmer in my SUV, fetched it and rode the easy section again and did some unauthorized trail maintenance. Trail people hate when riders do this sort of thing.

I don't care. I hate getting my ancient arms and legs all scratched up when riding. Old man skin bleeds easily.

Rode 16.7 miles, actually had fun other than the parts where I was bleeding. Made the big climb today, first time in nearly a year to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I know some people got hurt, but I really enjoyed the aerial footage of that big bike crash at the Tour de France. I like to imagine there was a Fart 'n Fall involved.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:21 pm 

I thought it was funny. Shame on me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 pm 

This is really happening!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:13 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You guys are gonna run Paul off again. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:14 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I know some people got hurt, but I really enjoyed the aerial footage of that big bike crash at the Tour de France. I like to imagine there was a Fart 'n Fall involved.

The shot of chick getting blindsided is amazing. I'm sure I watched it 20 times at least. I hope it hurt. Dumb bitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:31 pm 

Rode the local trail today. It was only 87 degrees but I was pretty sweaty when I was done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:38 pm 

Rode the local trail. I took some of the rocky intermediate section going the wrong way. It was fun.

I know there are people who do that on the super advanced section. I have no aspirations of ever being that good of a rider.

I did get good air on the jump, and I landed way left and into some tall grass. I laughed.

I am old and weak. And old.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:46 am 

jim jack wrote:
No matter what we are interested in, we will encounter douches. They are at work, and they are involved in recreation as well.

Today I was in the parking lot at the trail, getting ready to go ride and some guys had just finished and were packing up next to me. They were discussing places where they fell and what parts were the most difficult. At some point, one of the guys said, "what about you, Bobby?"

Bobby's answer was, "oh man, that trail was so slow I never did get my heartrate up on any of it." This guy was pretty doughy and there was no damn way he was THAT good of a rider. I looked down and shook my head and really didn't care if anybody said anything to me. But they didn't.

I had fun. And yes, my heartrate did get really high a couple of times. Stupidass Bobby.

I arrived at the trail today and was talking to a random guy who had also just driven up, and we chatted while we got ready to ride. At some point I realized I was talking to Bobby.

We did NOT ride together, though.

I can't believe a guy with that much fat on him can ride the advanced parts. But he does it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:33 pm 

Rain spoiled my fun out here, so I drove out to Jacksboro and rode this afternoon. I had fun.

Encountered a mom and daughter combination walking by the lake in a remote area. Daughter looked to be about 30, mom about 55. Both were attractive. My imagination ran wild.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 pm 

Rode the local trail on Saturday, had a wreck on the advanced part that put a strawberry on my leg. While focusing on the rocks up ahead, I failed to see a rock that was closer to me. It yanked the handlebars out of my hands and down I went. I think my exact words were, "Fuck! that hurt!"

Got big air on the jump, the best I have ever done.

I had fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:37 pm 

Went on a late Sunday afternoon ride. The highlights:

1. While passing by a tree, something sprayed me in the face. It didn't stink or burn or anything at all, and I didn't see any varmints nearby. No idea what it was.

2. The jump was historically funny. The approach to the ramp is a dicey thing. It's a downhill curve and it's really rough and it's hard to stay aligned properly. Today I got out of shape as I was picking up speed, hit the ramp crooked and went way up into the air, and WAAAAY left into some knee high grass. I stayed upright, but by the time I got it stopped, I was 20 yards off of the trail. It was very funny. I wish I had worn the GoPro.

A kick ass time was had.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:03 pm 

Rode early Sunday afternoon, had to quit after 40 minutes because of a surprise thunderstorm in the area. Rain was predicted to hit about 5 hours later.

It never rained at the trail or at my house.

Oh well. I did work up a good sweat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:22 pm 

Took the local trail this afternoon, decided to just do the easy part twice. Was on the bike 1:53. I hate it that I avoided the adventure parts of the trail, but I think I enjoyed myself more today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:01 pm 

Took the local trail again, the plan was to take the easy part twice. Felt old and slow to start with, got a little better. On lap two, I found myself on the advanced part. Did ok on the climbs and had fun.

Nearly ran out of water. Started cramping in my hip near the end of the ride.

Was on the bike 2:20 and I'm not sore. That doesn't make any sense because I'm not in great shape. I sure don't look like I am.

I don't understand physical fitness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:01 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I did yardwork on Sunday and my back still hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:21 pm 

Rode on Saturday, only went on the 8.75 mile loop. Was pissed off at my women issues and wasn't in the mood. And I felt really old.

Rode again on Sunday, did the advanced loop and did ok. Oddly, I did the entire climbing series without stopping.

Got no air on the jump. Some buttnugget put a big ass rock on the approach and I had to slam on the brakes to miss it.

They've built an Evel Knievel ramp on the advanced part and I did ok on it. I need to wear the GoPro one day and demonstrate it.

And then I was going down a steep, fast hill with a curve on it, and a damn rattlesnake was laying there in the middle of the trail, waiting for me. I ran over it.

About 30 seconds later, I said out loud, "I just ran over a fucking rattlesnake."

It was a good ride.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next