Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watch Hoob fail at getting into shape blog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 pm 

June 28. Rode the local trail (Bridgeport) with the new bike again, enjoyed it. Was the last ride of vacation, rode 12 times total. Loved it.

July 1. Johnson Branch. Skipped the death section because I left my phone in the office. Dang it.

July 3. Local trail, made it up the worst hill and was happy for a couple of minutes, then on an easier hill I ran into a rock, got knocked backwards and I landed on my back. Fortunately, I landed in soft dirt. First wreck on my new bike. Rode about 90 minutes.

July 4. Same trail, same distance.

July 5. Took the broken spoke bike to Jacksboro. Was kicking all sorts of ass and then I had a flat on the front tire about 7.5 miles out. Walked about a mile and a half and my knee was killing me. Rode the final 5 miles with it flat. Went 14.25 miles total. I hate that damn bike. I seriously thought about leaving it there. It's a damn lemon.

July 8. After getting rain on July 6, the local trail opened, went 8.75 miles. The ground was damp and difficult to ride. Didn't enjoy it. Was torqued about work and women and I can't fight through that when I ride.

July 10. Same trail, 11.75 miles. Loved it. Passed an old gal riding on the trail, she was wearing capris. Can't say that I've ever seen that before.

July 11 (today). Same trail, same distance, had fun. While getting my customary Diet Coke and Zebra cake, I caught some tall blonde looking at me. She got behind me on the way home and turned every time I did. At some point she purposely got caught by a red light and that was the end of that fantasy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:34 pm 

Same trail today, same distance, did a couple of things different and had fun. Sweated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:sweat:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:01 pm 

Went to Bonham State Park today, my 52nd time there but first in three years, and only the second time since 2013.

Was on the bike 90 minutes. It was bumpy but fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:14 pm 

Saturday: Local trail. A half-mile in I caught a handlebar on a tree and wrecked hard. Landed on my bad knee but it didn't hurt until a few hours later. Broke the fasteners on the speedometer and it was just hanging by the wire. Rode back to the parking lot and left, disappointed.

Sunday: Same trail, had better than normal strength even though my knee was hurting a little bit from yesterday's adventure. Decided to try a section called Boulder City, got my ass hung up on big time. Somehow wrecked going up a hill, got my leg stuck in between the handlebars and the frame. It didn't dampen the fun I had, though.

Got big air on a ramp on the Intermediate section. I wonder if people over at the offroad vehicle park could hear me screaming. By the time I was done, I was covered with sand and leaves. And sweat. Was on the bike 1:42.

I had fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

hoobascooba wrote:
Got big air on a ramp on the Intermediate section. I wonder if people over at the offroad vehicle park could hear me screaming.

"sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:53 pm 

:D

To be honest, when I saw this was a gif I was expecting some kid crashing. Still funny, though. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:23 pm 

After a day that made me want to retire, I double-birded everyone there, left work early and went to the trail.

The highlight was the jump. I got really big air, but I didn't align it right. Instead of landing on the trail, I went "wide right" and into some tall grass. I stayed upright, though.

It was pretty durned funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
After a day that made me want to retire, I double-birded everyone there, left work early and went to the trail.

The highlight was the jump. I got really big air, but I didn't align it right. Instead of landing on the trail, I went "wide right" and into some tall grass. I stayed upright, though.

It was pretty durned funny.

You need a GoPro and start a YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:26 pm 

Rode the local trail this morning and loved it. Successfully made the big climb and used fourth gear instead of first. No matter what else happened, this made the ride a good one.

Nearly broke my toe on chickenshit pass but didn't wreck. Somehow got it caught between the pedal and a rock and it hurt for several minutes. Did not get good air on the ski jump.

This was ride 125 at this trail. Was tempted to go again before dark but I ain't gonna.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:15 pm 

Local trail again, enjoyed it. On the big climb I had made it over the tough stuff and I said out loud, "How about two days in a row. You like that?" And then I hit a rock wrong and didn't make it to the top. Oops.

I had fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:34 pm 

Local trail again, had fun. It was 90 degrees and I had issues with sweat getting into my eyes. I already wear a skull cap but it gets soaked and the sweat comes straight down on my face.

Just now ordered a Halo headband, which is supposed to channel the sweat to the back of my ears.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 pm 

Local trail, was 85 degrees and pretty humid. Wore the Halo headband and I didn't have the same issues that I had the other day. But it was only 85. That's 20 rides for this new bike.

Wasn't very good at climbs today but I enjoyed them anyway. Got decent air on the ski jump.

My gloves are sitting on the front porch. My goodness those things smell bad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:51 pm 

Local trail, went a lap and loved it. Probably at a high-water mark for being in shape. My legs don't look it, though.

Encountered three people who put my old ass to shame and one was about my age. They were resting up after a lap and were about to go another one.

But it's ok. I had fun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:28 pm 

After yesterday's adventure, I decided to do a double ride today. Loaded up the SUV and went to Jacksboro. Got there and discovered that I forgot my Camelbak. I had brought a couple of insulated water bottles, so I put one on the bike and off I went. Tied my carkey to my shoe laces. This meant rationing water but it worked out ok. It also meant no phone or ID. I crapping don't care about those things.

Next was Bridgeport, and it went ok. However, I was really pooped and I didn't ride with much gusto. But it's something I always wanted to do and that's that. Also had to ration water here but it worked out just fine. It was 93 degrees.

I used to have a checklist for gigs so I wouldn't forget various pedals, cables, stands, costumes, and the like. I also have one for the stuff I take to work each day.

I need to make one for riding. Dammit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:07 pm 

Are there any trails in Runaway Bay?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:24 am 

Not that I am aware of, although they certainly have the terrain for it there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:45 pm 

Local trail late in the day, had fun. Got big air on the ski jump, went wide left, laughed like a hyena.

For the second ride in a row, I encountered a snake on the trail. This one was fast-moving and was desperate to get out of the way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:38 pm 

Local trail again, was 98 degrees and I sweated. At the end I was talking to a guy in the parking lot and I was standing out in the damn sun while he was in his pickup's air conditioning. I finally had to get rid of him so I could get in the a/c myself. I got too hot.

Had a blast today, but I did not get good air on the ski jump.

I also have a 75 second video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxB7jWhqXeU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That looks hella fun, but I'd probably wipe out within 5 seconds if I tried it. I don't know how you avoid constantly racking yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:42 pm 

My dear 83 year old mom got really pissed off at me over this video.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I enjoyed your commentary. Holy fuck, man. When you talk about riding trails like that, I never imagined them being that extreme. I feel like I'm about to die when I make the transition from the street to my driveway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Love it! Post more vids!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:35 pm 

Went to the trail and rode the easy 8.75 mile part. Was on the bike 58 minutes. Sweated. Didn't infect anyone.

It may be a month before I get to go again.

Here's a 1:25 video of the easy part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBrzejo ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Nice! How do you handle passing/being passed on those trails?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:05 am 
I'm a tool.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Nice! How do you handle passing/being passed on those trails?

like this :dogstyle:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:04 am 

Officially, you are supposed to yell "TRACK!" which tells someone that some douche wants to pass.

But usually I'll just follow them until they notice me and then pull over. Unless it's a female. Then I'll just follow them.

Maybe one day I'll live out Cap's answer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:38 pm 

After a stupid ass 60 hour work week, spending time at the trail didn't sound that appealing but I am really glad I went. Fall is my favorite time of the year to ride, and today I was reminded of that.

Wasn't able to make the big climb and that was no surprise. However, I did get big air on the jump and loved it.

Was on the bike 1:20. They are having some sort of event next weekend so the trail will be closed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:38 pm 

I had a ton of stuff to do today and at some point I came to my senses and said, "Screw all of this. Go ride. Now."

First time to ride in four weeks, really enjoyed it. I made all the big climbs but needed more than one attempt on all three.

Leaves are starting to fall and I enjoyed riding through them. This was ride 135 at this trail.

Loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's starting to cool down a bit. Great time to do anything out dorsie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:53 am 
I'm a tool.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
It's starting to cool down a bit. Great time to do anything out dorsie.

except today

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:58 am 
Site Admin

I would have gone with doors-y over dorsie, but to each his own.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I should have went went dorsey in honor of long time country music DJ Terry Dorsey.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Talk about a missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:46 pm 

Went today, encountered a guy who had a generic youth minister vibe. He looked to be 40 or so. He was a nice guy and gave me pointers on how to make one of the big climbs. I didn't follow his advice and made it anyway.

Being kinda concerned about my oldness, he thought it necessary to follow me in for the final 5 miles or so. So the rare riding conversation occurred.

I learned that he rode at least 5 days a week. A couple of days were with his kids, the others were by himself. I was envious. All I can think about now is retiring so I can do the same thing.

The local store didn't have Zebra cakes so I bought an oatmeal creme cookie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I hate oatmeal cookies but I L.O.V.E. those Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:33 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Oatmeal crème pie > Strawberry Shortcake Roll > Swiss Roll > Fudge round

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:28 pm 

Rode this afternoon, decided that if I went on the advanced course I'd be done by 5:30, which isn't a problem. But if I had a flat or mechanical issue, I'd be stuck out there in the dark with the damned wild hogs and I forgot to bring a light. So I rode the 9 mile trail really fast and was done by 5:00.

Ten years ago I would have chanced it and rode anyway. But that was 10 years ago.

The entire trail was covered with leaves and I liked the crunching sound it made as I rode through them. I am an old kid.

The nearby store had Zebra cakes today and I bought one.

I=happy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm 

Not really in the mood to ride but I did it anyway. Glad I went.

Extra clothing today was tights and a long sleeve undershirt, thin full-finger gloves. Wore a skullcap as usual but put it over my ears and I usually don't do that.

It was 54 degrees, hands were cold at the start. I have heavier gloves but didn't think I needed them. What a dummy.

Did the 9 mile ride in 57 minutes, had fun. Only encountered a couple on the trail and they were about my age. They were resting. She was quite the looker.

Stopped and got a Zebra cake afterward.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:35 pm 

The weather was perfect for a Thanksgiving day ride. Took the advanced trail, wasn't able to make the big climbs of course. Tinkered with higher gearing on some of the slowest sections.

Kinda half-assed it on the ramp section, ended up flying the farthest ever. Landed on both wheels at the same time, which nearly racked me. This bike has air shocks in the front, they may need airing up.

Went 11.95 miles, was on the bike 1:20.

Decided I didn't need a Zebra cake this time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:05 pm 

Rode today at around 4:00, decided to play it safe and do the one hour ride in case a problem occurred. About four miles in I heard a thump thump thump sound and it was obvious I had something stuck in a spoke or a tire. It was a stick with a thorn that was stuck in a tire. Pulled it out and was greeted with a loud hisssssssssssssssss. Great. Jumped back on the bike and hauled ass.

This place is a figure 8 and I was a mile from the trailhead. I did make it to the trail head and the tire was still up. How about that.

So I did what any other idiot would have done: I kept on riding. If it had gone down I might have been out on the trail after dark.

When I was done I put a gauge on the tire and it had 25 in it and some people actually ride with 25 to help with climbing. I think I started with 38.

For what it's worth, I use Stan's Notube sealant and I guess it worked. This time.

I had fun but I'm not in good shape.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:09 pm 

Rode the local trail today, decided that distance was more important than adventure this time. Took the easy 8.75 mile loop twice. Was on the bike 1:53.

The girlfriend took one look at me yesterday and declared that I was "scrawny."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next