Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oscar talk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Silver Linings Playbook--Haven't seen it and all its nominations make me automatically dismiss it. It will have to be really good for me to overcome my own bias. Also, I don't like Bradley Cooper in general. He's my new Edward Burns. The Weinsteins bought all of the nominations.

Lincoln--Also haven't seen it but I will rectify that. I'm guessing it will be the big winner of the night. Kinda moved less by this than past Spielberg. Schindler's List and Munich are more impressive to me as they featured "greyer" subjects. Schindler's original motives weren't good and the actions of Israel in Munich aren't cut and dry either. Making a movie about how great a dude Abe was seems easier. He should've made him gay.

Life of Pi--Liked is but didn't think it was great. Ending was a little anti-climactic.

Beasts of the Southern Wild--Just saw it last weekend. Really liked it. Fairly surreal and symbolic. Kinda like a book you know you're supposed to like. But you do anyway and can't explain why.

Argo and Zero Dark Thirty--Missed Argo and Zero Dark is on the docket this weekend. Both were huge critical hits and yet both directors miss out. Can't see Zero winning best picture when the director isn't nominated.

Amour--Some French film. The only thing gayer than Les Miz.

Django--Christoph Waltz nominated but not DiCaprio. Not my favorite Tarantino, but still a good.

Post subject: Re: Oscar talk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:

Django-- Not my favorite Tarantino, but still a good.

My feelings exactly.

Can't comment on the rest since I haven't seen them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 pm 

Diello wrote:
Also, I don't like Bradley Cooper in general. He's my new Edward Burns.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:12 pm 
I'm a tool.

He's my new Edward Scissor Hands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've seen Argo, Lincoln, and Les Mis. I'm planning to see as many of the other 6 as I can in the next month.

My wife saw Silver Linings Playbook and liked enough that she wants to see it again with me. The guys that review movies for Deadspin (they hate almost everything and when they like something, they act pissed about it) think that Jennifer Lawrence is a near lock for Best Actress.

Has there ever been an acting category stacked with accomplished nominees like this year's best supporting actor?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Diello wrote:
Also, I don't like Bradley Cooper in general. He's my new Edward Burns.

:babyarm:

His looks are distracting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Did a triple play this weekend.

Lincoln--If this wins, I would have no problem with it. It's not a bio-pic, but only tells the story surrounding the weeks leading up to the passing of the 13th amendment. It works best a s a political story showing that the same crap of buying votes that goes on today was going on 150 years ago. The ridiculousness of people who wanted to vote against abolition makes you wonder how stupid we're going to look in the future.
**SPOILER ALERT** Lincoln dies.

Zero Dark 30--I liked it better than This is 40. Really good. Done well in that it feels mostly like a documentary, it doesn't take sides. Okay, it feels like what a documentary should be. Kind of like the Social Network, it is a movie that should be made 20-30 years from now. And that's a good thing. The last 25 minutes are worth the price of admission alone. Perfectly directed to create the perfect amount of tension.

Argo--Where ZD3 felt like a documentary, this is most definitely a movie. And just as good. All three movies do a great job of balancing the personal stories with goals at hand (ZD3 does it by essentially eliminating that personal side of the story, but makes the obsession with Bin Laden that much more intense). the Hollywood stuff is as interesting as the CIA stuff.

All three share the theme of the dirty things America has done in order to accomplish righteous goals. The political process in Lincoln, the torturing in ZD3 and putting a corrupt Shah in power in Iran to sell us oil cheap in Argo. You'd think that the current political climate was tense or something. Whatevs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Golden Globes are more fun with half a bottle of wine in you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm 
I'm a tool.

Or a 6 pack of Milwaukee best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm 

and wtf Jodie Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:

Dang, I've seen pics of that on the internet. Did it hurt?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:40 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
and wtf Jodie Foster

It's obvious she's gay. When they bought out those beavers on a platter she tried to eat them and we all know what beaver is code for. Am I right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:55 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:

It's a good thing they flange out quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sliver Linings Playbook--Far less meh than I was expecting. The guy that played Bradley Cooper wasn't as annoying as Bradley Cooper. Really good up until the last 30 minutes when it turns into a Sandra Bullock/Hugh Grant romantic comedy. Up until then it was an interesting look at a bipolar guy and a widow/slut trying to hook up. They did real good at making them and DeNiro crazy without really being movie crazy, they handled it really well. But then they have to win a dance competition. Really. Just didn't get it. It's kinda like a book that you really enjoy reading but when you finish the last page you kinda go meh.

:meh: :meh: :meh: out of 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I felt exactly the same way. What was a pretty good movie to me started to completely unravel at the scene where they worked out that stupid bet. Once he figured out who really wrote the letter and suddenly started acting completely sane, the interesting was gone. It didn't turn into a bad movie, but it finished way weaker than it started. I was happy they didn't turn it into a complete schlock fest and have them dance to My Cherie Amour.