Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Obama opened up stem cell research.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:39 am 
Site Admin

why don't you suck on your glock forty and die instead of telling ich what plan to stick with, fuckface.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:46 am 

Whoa.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

glad cap wasn't around when man was inventing the wheel... "why go with that round thing when sleds have been working so well?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:12 pm 

i'm glad for stuff too!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
why don't you suck on your glock forty and die instead of telling ich what plan to stick with, fuckface.
luv u

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 pm 
I'm a tool.

fruitdog wrote:

i'd miss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Stem cell, not embryonic stem cells, research has been making a lot of headway. Why not just stick with that plan?

Cap, that's a fair question. If I were a man with your convictions in your current situation, I might be asking the same.

As I'm sure you've read, embryonic stem cells are believed to be more viable than adult stem cells for research purposes due to their ability to adapt to and assume the characteristics of any part of the human body. Therefore, scientists believe that research success will be greater and quicker with embryonic stem cells.

But, for purposes of this discussion, let's assume that you are a man in a different situation.

Let's say your wife had a strapping baby boy who grew like a weed and was crawling, then toddling, then running before you knew it. You got to coach his first T ball team, coach 2-3 years on his soccer team and even watched a year of flag football. You got to enjoy your son at Cub Scouts and even watch him "cross the bridge" into the Boy Scouts. You're feeling pretty good living the stereotypical American dream raising your son.

But a funny thing begins to happen. You notice your son has started to lag behind when running during his athletics. It's getting to the point that you have to start riding his butt about hustling! (I mean that's a father's responsibility). Then you notice that your son is starting to trip over his own feet while walking. (No big deal; he's just in a growing spurt and his feet are outpacing the rest of him - not to worry)

The thing is, you do worry. You try and ignore it, deny it and ignore it some more, but you can't because it's not natural how he has to use the banister to get up the stairs to his room, or how he has to use the coffee table or sofa to get up from playing in the floor. So, then you take him to the pediatrician where you become terrified because the pediatrician isn't telling you that you're being an overprotective parent, In fact, the pediatrician let's you know without saying it that you've got trouble ahead because he makes an appointment for you to see the pediatric neurologist that same afternoon!

The pediatric neurologist runs his diagnostics and tells you, while your boy is in the waiting room, that he's pretty sure that your son has muscular dystrophy, but that he can't know what type until more invasive tests are run. Therefore, at that moment, you don't know if your boy is going to live or die.

So you take your son down to the Scottish Rite hospital and get a battery of tests run, and they "kind" of confirm your worst fears. Your son has muscular dystrophy. There not sure of which type, but they are pretty sure it's a type that's nonlethal. They assure you your boy could possibly live into his 30s!

Now your boy is pretty smart. After all, he's 10 now and sharp as a tack. He knows something is wrong because of all the doctors and all of the tests and he asks his Dad for some answers. So now Cap, you get to sit down with your son and explain to him that he has a disease that will slowly rob him of his muscles, that eventually he'll be unable to run, ride his bike or even walk. You'll have to tell him that one day he'll go into a wheelchair and then, why you're looking in your son's confused and terrified face after he asks you a question no son should have to ask his father, you'll lie through your teeth and tell him no, he's not going to die.

You'll get to watch your son slowly decay. You'll get to take him to the hospital every six months and watch the same tests run and witness how he is getting weaker. You'll spend money that you don't have to take him to Baltimore to the National Institute of Health to see if they can provide the miracle you're looking for. You'll research the internet to uncover studies being performed in Ohio, Australia and Brazil that you can send your boy's biopsy samples to see if possibly they can provide that miracle.

And you'll want that miracle Cap. You'll want that miracle because it breaks your heart each year when you see your boy get so excited because the Jerry Lewis Telethon has raised record amounts. Your boy figures that that much money should allow a cure to be found most any day - but of course it doesn't. And, it'll break your heart even more when the telethon comes around and your boy doesn't say a word... because he's beginning to lose his hope.

You see your boy is 14 now and he's one year into being in a wheelchair. His buddies, who used to play at the house all the time come by occasionally to play video games, but now they have discovered girls, or they are playing sports, or doing any number of things that are easier to do without a kid in a wheelchair to bog things down. And then your heart starts to break all the more, because your boy who was so outgoing, so well-liked is beginning to become withdrawn. He just doesn't have that much to say to anybody anymore, including you.

But Cap, you are his Dad and you love him unconditionally. You spend even more money that you don't have to buy a van with a ramp that can get him around in his electric wheelchair because he can't even handle his manual wheelchair anymore. Remember Cap, your boy continues to get weaker and weaker with each passing year. You know that time is running out. And even if he gets weaker, but doesn't pass away before you do, you have to then ask yourself; Who will take care of him after I'm gone? Will he be okay?

So, I ask you Cap. If there's a chance that embryonic stem cells could provide an answer even one month before adult stem cells, wouldn't you want that extra 30 days for your boy?

I do, and that's why I'm unwilling to "stick to the plan."

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

Last edited by Ichabod on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Damn, Ich. I hope they find something soon.

Oh, and cap's a first rate brainwashed typical white republican dick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:12 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Very, very powerful stuff, Ich.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Admin

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

reading that just breaks my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 am 

vbear wrote:

No shit, I guess having healthy kids makes you take alot for granted. If my daughter was in the same position as lil ich I dont know if I could handle it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 am 
I'm a tool.

Ichabod wrote:
cap wrote:
Stem cell, not embryonic stem cells, research has been making a lot of headway. Why not just stick with that plan?

Cap, that's a fair question. If I were a man with your convictions in your current situation, I might be asking the same.

As I'm sure you've read, embryonic stem cells are believed to be more viable than adult stem cells for research purposes due to their ability to adapt to and assume the characteristics of any part of the human body. Therefore, scientists believe that research success will be greater and quicker with embryonic stem cells.

But, for purposes of this discussion, let's assume that you are a man in a different situation.

Let's say your wife had a strapping baby boy who grew like a weed and was crawling, then toddling, then running before you knew it. You got to coach his first T ball team, coach 2-3 years on his soccer team and even watched a year of flag football. You got to enjoy your son at Cub Scouts and even watch him "cross the bridge" into the Boy Scouts. You're feeling pretty good living the stereotypical American dream raising your son.

But a funny thing begins to happen. You notice your son has started to lag behind when running during his athletics. It's getting to the point that you have to start riding his butt about hustling! (I mean that's a father's responsibility). Then you notice that your son is starting to trip over his own feet while walking. (No big deal; he's just in a growing spurt and his feet are outpacing the rest of him - not to worry)

The thing is, you do worry. You try and ignore it, deny it and ignore it some more, but you can't because it's not natural how he has to use the banister to get up the stairs to his room, or how he has to use the coffee table of sofa to get up from playing in the floor. So, then you take him to the pediatrician where you become terrified because the pediatrician isn't telling you that you're being an overprotective parent, In fact, the pediatrician let's you know without saying it that you've got trouble ahead because he makes an appointment for you to see the pediatric neurologist that same afternoon!

The pediatric neurologist runs his diagnostics and tells you, while your boy is in the waiting room, that he's pretty sure that your son has muscular dystrophy, but that he can't know what type until more invasive tests are run. Therefore, at that moment, you don't know if your boy is going to live or die.

So you take your son down to the Scottish Rite hospital and get a battery of tests run, and they "kind" of confirm your worst fears. Your son has muscular dystrophy. There not sure of which type, but they are pretty sure it's a type that's nonlethal. They assure you your boy could possibly live into his 30s!

Now your boy is pretty smart. After all, he's 10 now and sharp as a tack. He knows something is wrong because of all the doctors and all of the tests and he asks his Dad for some answers. So now Cap, you get to sit down with your son and explain to him that he has a disease that will slowly rob him of his muscles, that eventually he'll be unable to run, ride his bike or even walk. You'll have to tell him that one day he'll go into a wheelchair and then, why you're looking in your son's confused and terrified face after he asks you a question no son should have to ask his father, you'll lie through your teeth and tell him no, he's not going to die.

You'll get to watch your son slowly decay. You'll get to take him to the hospital every six months and watch the same tests run and witness how he is getting weaker. You'll spend money that you don't have to take him to Baltimore to the National Institute of Health to see if they can provide the miracle you're looking for. You'll research the internet to uncover studies being performed in Ohio, Australia and Brazil that you can send your boy's biopsy samples to see if possibly they can provide that miracle.

And you'll want that miracle Cap. You'll want that miracle because it breaks your heart each year when you see your boy get so excited because the Jerry Lewis Telethon has raised record amounts. Your boy figures that that much money should allow a cure to be found most any day - but of course it doesn't. And, it'll break your heart even more when the telethon comes around and your boy doesn't say a word... because he's beginning to lose his hope.

You see your boy is 14 now and he's one year into being in a wheelchair. His buddies, who used to play at the house all the time come by occasionally to play video games, but now they have discovered girls, or they are playing sports, or doing any number of things that are easier to do without a kid in a wheelchair to bog things down. And then your heart starts to break all the more, because your boy who was so outgoing, so well-liked is beginning to become withdrawn. He just doesn't have that much to say to anybody anymore, including you.

But Cap, you are his Dad and you love him unconditionally. You spend even more money that you don't have to buy a van with a ramp that can get him around in his electric wheelchair because he can't even handle his manual wheelchair anymore. Remember Cap, your boy continues to get weaker and weaker with each passing year. You know that time is running out. And even if he gets weaker, but doesn't pass away before you do, you have to then ask yourself; Who will take care of him after I'm gone? Will he be okay?

So, I ask you Cap. If there's a chance that embryonic stem cells could provide an answer even one month before adult stem cells, wouldn't you want that extra 30 days for your boy?

jkjkjkjkjkjk

you.are.welcome.forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:54 am 

you're an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:03 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I didn't see anybody thanking you, cap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

no kidding

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Stu wrote:
no kidding

------>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:sad:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

NfiMB wrote:
vbear wrote:

No shit, I guess having healthy kids makes you take alot for granted. If my daughter was in the same position as lil ich I dont know if I could handle it.

Yes, you would "eventually" handle it. First you would lay in the floor and gasp for breath like you just got kicked in the gut, but you rise to the occasion and do the best you can for your kid.

Hugs to all of you who sent messages. Your support and empathy are always source of comfort - particularly when I have bad days like yesterday.:soppy:

For those of you interested, Michael J Fox will be on Larry King Live tonight on CNN discussing the stem cell research debate. For those of you unaware, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's during the filming of Doc Hollywood and has been a stem cell research advocate for many years now.

Larry King Live

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:34 pm 

Ichabod wrote:
NfiMB wrote:
vbear wrote:

Yes, you would "eventually" handle it. First you would lay in the floor and gasp for breath like you just got kicked in the gut, but you rise to the occasion and do the best you can for your kid.

Hugs to all of you who sent messages. Your support and empathy are always source of comfort - particularly when I have bad days like yesterday.:soppy:

For those of you interested, Michael J Fox will be on Larry King Live tonight on CNN discussing the stem cell research debate. For those of you unaware, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's during the filming of Doc Hollywood and has been a stem cell research advocate for many years now.

Larry King Live

Yeh, eventually I would, but man it would be tough. I respect you for the way you are dealing with the situation. Keep up the fight Ich.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Blind to be cured with stem cells

BRITISH scientists have developed the world’s first stem cell therapy to cure the most common cause of blindness. Surgeons predict it will become a routine, one-hour procedure that will be generally available in six or seven years’ time.

The treatment involves replacing a layer of degenerated cells with new ones created from embryonic stem cells. It was pioneered by scientists and surgeons from the Institute of Ophthalmology at University College London and Moorfields eye hospital.

This is great news! Another major step forward! :fist:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I saw that yesterday. Good news indeed. Hopefully with American scientists having access to embryonic stem cells now we'll see more and more of those stories.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:37 pm 

Ichabod wrote:
cap wrote:

The thing is, you do worry. You try and ignore it, deny it and ignore it some more, but you can't because it's not natural how he has to use the banister to get up the stairs to his room, or how he has to use the coffee table or sofa to get up from playing in the floor. So, then you take him to the pediatrician where you become terrified because the pediatrician isn't telling you that you're being an overprotective parent, In fact, the pediatrician let's you know without saying it that you've got trouble ahead because he makes an appointment for you to see the pediatric neurologist that same afternoon!

:fist: stay strong, i know your pain

the years of researched robbed by politicians is ridiculous. we thought our daughters' cure was going to be through embryonic stem cells, and it only caused my hatred of our political system to grow exponentially. Stay strong, I believe, so many cures will be opened through science, very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:01 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Welp, tomorrow being Labor Day it's time for my annual plea for your help with regard to the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Telethon. Mrs. Ich will be manning the phones tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have a training class that will mean I'm missing my first telethon in the last ten years.....

Regardless, I know times are tight economy wise, but any size donation would be greatly appreciated by the Ichabods....

Hugs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 am 

I dont see how Jerry Lewis can rin a Telethon, I mean he's gotta swim, run, and bike..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 pm 
I'm a tool.

you need stem cells for that post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Hey Gang,

The telethon raised $60 million today. That's a great number given the economic times! (The record is $65 million set just last year)

:babyarm: To all that contributed.

Hugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Ichabod wrote:

:babyarm: People survive. I'm not sure how they do it in the face of shit like this. But when you're in that moment you're not concerned about whether or not you can handle it. You don't think can I do this. You just do it. It becomes normal to you and one day when your situation has improved and you're removed from the immediacy of it all, you look back and wonder "how in the fuck did I handle all of that."
Good luck Ich.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:48 pm 

Sagger Pance wrote:
Ichabod wrote:

:babyarm: People survive. I'm not sure how they do it in the face of shit like this. But when you're in that moment you're not concerned about whether or not you can handle it. You don't think can I do this. You just do it. It becomes normal to you and one day when your situation has improved and you're removed from the immediacy of it all, you look back and wonder "how in the fuck did I handle all of that."
Good luck Ich.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:05 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sagger Pance wrote:
Ichabod wrote:

Good luck Ich.

Thanks Sagger....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

i know what that shit's like, man. It fucking blows. But don't underestimate the power of determination.

There are some really good neurologists in this town. I actually know a very good nontraditional guy that does amazing things with kids with neurological disorders. I can find a number for you if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:31 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

whatever, pinata boy...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

suck it, anticontrarian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:37 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sagger Pance wrote:
i know what that shit's like, man. It fucking blows. But don't underestimate the power of determination.

There are some really good neurologists in this town. I actually know a very good nontraditional guy that does amazing things with kids with neurological disorders. I can find a number for you if you want.

Sure, send me a message with his number whenever you get a chance...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

U.S. set to fund more stem cell study

Launching a dramatic expansion of government support for one of the most promising but most contentious fields of biomedical research, the National Institutes of Health on Wednesday authorized the first 13 lines of cells under the administration's policy and was poised to approve 20 more Friday.

:dance: This makes meh happy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:babyarm: Good news indeed, Ich.
science = awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That is indeed great news. Let's hope scientists can cure a bunch of shit before we put a pub back in office.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
science = awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:08 am 
I'm a tool.

Ichabod wrote:

Launching a dramatic expansion of government support for one of the most promising but most contentious fields of biomedical research, the National Institutes of Health on Wednesday authorized the first 13 lines of cells under the administration's policy and was poised to approve 20 more Friday.

he sending 30,000 troops to their death, might as well do this too

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Ichabod wrote:

he sending 30,000 troops to their death, might as well do this too

are you in kindergarten again? Who talks like this?