Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies I Watched This Weekend, Part 3: In 3D
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Make no mistake, the movie was about his life. My comment was in reference to the title.

Also, make no mistake again. Anyone who boycotts this movie because of the flag thing is a turd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Make no mistake, the movie was about his life.

Also, make no mistake again. Anyone who boycotts this movie because of the flag thing is a turd.

:babyarm: I don't like flagfuckers like cap either, somey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Make no mistake, the movie was about his life.

:babyarm: I don't like flagfuckers like cap either, somey.

Do you like the welcoming warmth and colorburst pop of a front porch flag from say Memorial Day to Labor Day or is this just more flagfuckery?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

That doesn't really bother me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It bothers the fuck outta me (actually it doesn't.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

The Old Man and The Gun - The true story of "old man" Forrest Tucker, who committed a series of bank robberies after his 17th (and penultimate) escape from prison, and the cop who obsesses over catching him. I was unaware of this story.

It was good. And it was a good role for Robert Redford's final act. RIP.

:gun2: :gun2: :gun2: :gun2: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I haven't watched it yet, but I know a number of scenes were filmed in Fort Worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 am 
Site Admin

A Simple Favor - a single mom/vlogger befriends a mysterious, classy woman whose kid goes to the same school. Mom 2 disappears and mom 1 becomes obsessed with solving the case. If you can get past the fact that the protagonist had zero translatable skills (cooking, parenting) to solving a missing persons case, then the first 3/4 of this movie is great. Engaging and intense. The last 1/4 was a total mess that turned predictable, tried to be funny, with dumb decisions by some characters that would never happen. It ruined it for me. Also, despite being an underrated hot (?), Anna Kendrick has a slight case of kangaroo upper lip.

:wife2: :wife2: .75 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:36 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Solo - It was fun. Weren't the nerds pissed off about it when it came out? I don't remember anymore. The Darth Maul cameo throws off the whole timeline. Whole series = bullshit now.

:somey: :somey: :somey: :bob: (out of 5)

Annihilation - Thinking man's sci-fi. At least it made me wonder what the hell it was about. A lot of things looked like vaginas to me. The bear was scary.

:wife2: :wife2: :wife2: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Dr Seuss' The Grinch - I have a bit of a soft spot for Dr Seuss. We all know the story here. There wasn't much added, and what was added was forgettable. I like Pharrell, but I didn't love him as the narrator. The colors on the OLED TV* were incredible though. The Grinch was nicer to his dog than he was in the old cartoon, which bothered me a lot when I was young. It was a perfectly acceptable ~80 minute time waste.

:sock: :sock: :sock: (out of 5)

* :bigtime:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
The Darth Maul cameo throws off the whole timeline. Whole series = bullshit now.

Timeline is still intact. He survived being sliced in half and falling down the pit. It's canon. He was in the Rebels cartoon also, which is apparently also canon. Whether surviving being sliced in half is better or worse than a fucked up timeline, is up for debate though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 pm 
I'm a tool.

:picknose:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm gonna need Surviving Maul: A Star Wars Story before I believe any of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

cap wrote:
:picknose:

Breaking news

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 pm 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:

Or Better call Maul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Or Better call Maul

:goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Boy Erased - After he learns his son is gay, a Pastor sends his son to a gay conversion therapy program. I'm trying to separate my thoughts on the subject matter from my thoughts on the movie and I am left underwhelmed by this. Other than a couple of scenes that didn't involve the main character, the conversion therapy seemed like some shitty church camps I went to, or Sunday School growing up. I wanted to hate the dad and "teachers", but never really got there. The dad just seemed like a misguided dude who is still living in the olden days. Russell Crowe is fat as fuck now.

:fag: :fag: :fag: .25 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:13 pm 

Ballad of Buster Scruggs- Cohen Bros. and Western = count me in. I liked how it was an anthology series. I go to bed pretty early on weeknights and got about three days of viewing pleasure from this. Would watch again. Opens with Tim Blake Nelson who is very underrated. Who's with me fellers? It was probably the shortest but also my favorite. The Liam Neeson story was the weirdest. I had to look her up but there is a story with an actress named Zoe Kazan. She looks like how the fake Michelle Wie sounds.

:terd: :terd: :terd: :terd:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

It was fine. I didn't love it but enjoyed most the stories. The last one was a dud so it probably soured me on the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Hardcore Henry - Dunno how plausible it was but it was a lot of fun.

:robot: :robot: :robot: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Bohemian Rhapsody - the story of Freddie Mercury from the early '70s to the Live Aid performance in 1985. This was far from a masterpiece, but it was entertaining. The music really carried it. You may have heard these songs before.

:bus: :bus: :bus: .25 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:25 am 

Conversation with a killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes- This is on Netflix. It was pretty fascinating. If you watch this you may be like me and have the impression that T-bun was flat out just not a nice man. He was especially very mean to women. I'd even go so far to say very, very mean.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 am 
Site Admin

A Star is Born - An aging, alcoholic musician stumbles upon a young, talented up and comer in a bar. Things take off romantically between the two and as Lady Gaga's career takes off, Bradley Cooper's starts to decline. I really wanted to like this more than I did, but I thought BC's decision in the end kinda ruined it for me, though I can typically appreciate and support the non-typical Hollywood ending. Color me very impressed with the work Cooper put in to this role.

:hrn: :hrn: :hrn: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

White Boy Rick - Based on the true story of Richard Wershe Jr, who got busted for gun slinging in the 1980s and became the youngest FBI informant ever (14). It didn't suck, but it wasn't a story that necessarily needed to be told either. The FBI was pretty shitty for their role in this. Even though things didn't turn out so well for "White Boy Rick", he is lucky this took place in the '80s, because I can see this thing going a whole different direction if this takes place in the early '90s.

:mikehunt: :mikehunt: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Abducted in Plain Sight - Documentary on Netflix about a family in the 70s who let a friend be inappropriate with their daughter. You will not believe how stupid some people can be. If this were a Hollywood drama, you wouldn't believe a word of it.

:cap: :cap: :cap: (out of 5)

Lego Movie 2 - Not as good as the first, but not that bad either. I missed about 15 minutes in the middle because of diarrhea. The movie didn't cause it; IHOP did. Don't eat there.

:violin: :violin: :violin: (out of 5)

The Favourite - Good arthouse flick. Thought it would be funnier. Needed subtitles.

:beaver: :beaver: :beaver: :beaver: (out of 5)

Casablanca - The theater down the street from us showed it last night so we went. Still fantastic.

:stu: :stu: :stu: :stu: :stu: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Robin Hood (2018) - Dog turd. Watch the 2010 version instead, which is dog-turdly in it's own right, but far less than this one. Jamie Foxx's British accent was laughable. There were a handful of fun scenes, but they were few and far between. Quick Power ranking of the Robin Hood Movies: 1 - Men in Tights, 2 - the Disney one with the fox, 3a - Kevin Coster, 3b - Russell Crowe, 5 - This one.

:ghostking: .5 (out of 5)

The Girl in the Spider's Web - The reboot/sequel (I don't know) to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The same character (different actress) is hired by someone (I've already forgotten) to hack something to do with nuclear codes from the NSA, then a bunch of running and fighting happens. Something about a subplot where they need to get some kid to America, I don't know. It was probably a decent movie, but the details bored the shit out of me. There was an opening scene where the main chick was exacting some vengeance on a dude who abused his wife/kid. I was hoping we could get more of that. I liked the first one better.

:meltdown: :meltdown: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Lego Movie 2 - At some point, all the lights and singing and dancing unicorns made me start looking at the time and dying for this thing to end. And it fucking draaaaaagged. Then they have to insert a "not what you think" plot underneath and this old man was ready for bed. There were a couple of funny references, but the first one was much better. Get off my lawn.

:dad: :dad: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 am 
Site Admin

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - unnecessary Disney cash grab. I'm no ballet or The Nutcracker expert, but the connection to the Nutcracker seemed flimsy. The visuals were stunning, I liked the music, the story was garbage. The major actors seemed to phone in their roles outside of Kiera Knightley, whose role was so annoying, I couldn't take it. She is better than this.

:sheepdance: :sheepdance: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Bohemian Rhapsody - Yes, the music is great, but this is a by-the-numbers biopic. The band fights, someone writes a song. They fight again, someone writes another song. Repeat until Live Aid. Doesn't tell us much about Freddie Mercury other than he was flamboyant. I like Rami Malek but I don't see what was so great about his performance. He just pranced around like Freddie and now he's gonna win a fuckin' Oscar for it. And I didn't like that Mike Myers joke. Too cutesy for me.

:fu: :fu: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
Abducted in Plain Sight - Documentary on Netflix about a family in the 70s who let a friend be inappropriate with their daughter. You will not believe how stupid some people can be. If this were a Hollywood drama, you wouldn't believe a word of it.

:cap: :cap: :cap: (out of 5)

I know most people are commenting on their stupidity and naivety (and I get it), and I realize I'm not winning any dad of the year awards, but I lost all respect and sympathy for the parents when they decided not to press charges so their "dirty laundry" didn't get out. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Bohemian Rhapsody - Yes, the music is great, but this is a by-the-numbers biopic. The band fights, someone writes a song. They fight again, someone writes another song. Repeat until Live Aid. Doesn't tell us much about Freddie Mercury other than he was flamboyant. I like Rami Malek but I don't see what was so great about his performance. He just pranced around like Freddie and now he's gonna win a fuckin' Oscar for it. And I didn't like that Mike Myers joke. Too cutesy for me.

Not a Queen fan I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Not a Queen fan I guess.

Incorrect. Queen is great. The movie is shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

I get that there is a lot of darker story they left out and there is probably a better movie they could have made - the rest of the band telling FM they had to go home to their families instead of partying, made me laugh. But I had so much fun watching it, I didn't care. It's not Best Picture worthy, but once Don't Stop Me Now starts picking up, I get weak.

:somey: -----> :bananadance: :elephant: :sheepdance: :jig: :dance:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Not a Queen fan I guess.

Sound like a quater to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Not a Queen fan I guess.

Look, you can't just invent words to defend your position.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 am 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Not a Queen fan I guess.

Look, you can't just invent words to defend your position.

He has blurry vision. He can't see what he's typing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Velvet Buzzsaw - Netflix horror/satire thing about the art world. Good cast but kind of a mess. The black chick who played the black chick wasn't a very good actress. Stay away from this flick.

:ghostking: :ghostking: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Watched a few good ones recently.

Widows - tried to be/do too much, but still worth a watch. :wife2: :wife2: :wife2: .25 (out of 5)

The Sisters Brothers - :kev: :kev: :kev: :kev: .5 (out of 5)

The Favourite - :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: (out of 5)

Green Book - :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: .5 (out of 5)

A Quiet Place - :biteme: :biteme: :biteme: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:00 pm 
I'm a tool.

How do you all have time to watch so many gosh darn movies?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 am 

Triple Frontier--at first I thought this might be pretty good but by the halfway point it was firmly meh. Shortly after that it began to flat out suck. Haven't finished it. I bailed when the ground cratered under this jack ass on a mountain trail and it tumbled to its death. Maybe it wraps up in spectacular fashion. Netflix originals almost always disappoint.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

See I've reading about how that one kinda meh the first hour but kicks ass in the second half. I'm still interested. Maybe I'll watch it someday.

Zodiac - In the conversation for best movie of the 21st century. Debate me.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie: :weenie: :weenie: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Triple Frontier--at first I thought this might be pretty good but by the halfway point it was firmly meh. Shortly after that it began to flat out suck. Haven't finished it. I bailed when the ground cratered under this jack ass on a mountain trail and it tumbled to its death. Maybe it wraps up in spectacular fashion. Netflix originals almost always disappoint.

I watched it last night and didn't think it was so bad. Definitely flawed but it's got some chunks of strongness. My main problem was how greedy they got with the money. I mean how much did they really need?
:hrn: :hrn: :hrn: (out of 5)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next