Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies I Watched This Weekend, Part 3: In 3D
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

or somesuch wrote:
Interesting note on Fury Road. I haven't seen it yet, but I went back and watched the other 3 to get ready for the new one on Blu-ray. I'm just saying (so you can't be mad), but those were disappointing. Not the badass movies I remember.

I've watched the first 2 recently and still love them. Thunderdome has some great lines and scenes but I always thought it was a pretty weak movie overall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

I watched Fury Road this weekend and loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:33 pm 

I watched it a couple weeks ago and loved it too. Charlize Theron is a handsome woman.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:34 pm 

I saw the Drop a while back and liked it a lot too. I also like crime books. Can't remember if I've read any Lehane books or not. Will check him out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:20 pm 
I'm a tool.

Here comes the Boom-good

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:32 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mad Max and Road Warrior are classics. I think both hold up. Road Warrior in particular is one of those genre-defining movies. Thunderdome I didn't even like as a kid.

Despite that my daughter and I are going as Master Blaster for Halloween.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Road Warrior definitely holds up the best of the 3.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Everest - IMAX 3D, yo. It's really good. :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:02 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:

Is that the story of when that dude lost his nose?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:08 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Is that the story of when that dude lost his nose?

Yes. It's not too gross. Some other stuff happens too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Martian - It was good. I didn't read the book because it's supposed to be hard science and I'm dumb when it comes to that stuff. The movie simplified things so a dummy like me could understand. Not sure about the big action climax but the rest is really good.

:alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Avengers 2 was one of those movies where I couldn't tell you what it was about 5 minutes after leaving the theater. Left no impression at all. Didn't even talk about it in the car on the way home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:14 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Avengers 2 was one of those movies where I couldn't tell you what it was about 5 minutes after leaving the theater. Left no impression at all. Didn't even talk about it in the car on the way home.

:babyarm: It's like eating Taco Bell. It doesn't matter what you order, all of the food items are made from the same 4 basic ingredients so it all tastes the same. After you leave the restaurant you can't remember what you actually ate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I didn't think it was THAT bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Why do you hate Taco Bell?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Just wanna point out that this whole thread is worth re-reading. Mid-2006 when everything was "better than Crash" is good times.

Yeah, I'm bored at work. :dep:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Intern - 70 year old retired widower played by Robert DeNiro goes back to work as a "senior intern" for the young, go-getter CEO (Anne Hathaway) of an online shopping website. It takes him awhile, but he finally gets through to her enough to become a valuable advisor when it comes to her well-disguised mess of a work life and personal life. It's not the cheesy rom com that the trailers suggest. It's got its share of sappiness and cheap jokes, but it was a real entertaining movie. I've always liked Anne Hathaway and De Niro's performance was almost good enough to make me forget about the stupid Focker movies.

:bun: :bun: :bun: :bun: out of 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Big Eyes - The true story of a female painter and her philandering husband, who takes credit for her paintings of children with "big eyes" since people apparently didn't buy art in the '60s if it was created by women, and "forces" her to continue to paint more at the expense of time with her children. I feel like this movie failed at what it was trying to do. I never felt like the wife was forced to go along with this charade (she even mentioned at the beginning that she left her first husband in a time when it was rare to do such a thing) and they made the husband mostly likeable until near the end when he went psycho all of a sudden. I did get giggles when he defended himself in court though. Oh, and there may be spoilers in that review.

:gomen: :gomen: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

We Bought a Zoo - The "true story" of a man and his two kids who tragically lost their wife/mom, and with the money left to them, they ... bought a zoo. It did tug on the heartstrings a few times and if you don't feel it naturally, the music will let you know when to feel sad. Anyway, you can see the ending coming from a mile away, but it did make me realize that if my wife passes, my two kids and I are fucked.

:biteme: :biteme: :biteme: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Pixels - In 1982, NASA sent up some videos of our pop culture up into space so aliens could see how awesome we were. Such videos included Max Headroom, Hall & Oates, Fantasy Island, and a young Adam Sandler and Tyrion Lannister playing video games. The aliens take the video games as a challenge and send "pixels" back to earth to accept the challenge and fight humans. The critics are roasting this movie, but it was watchable. I mean, it's freaking Adam Sandler so you know what you're getting. It's not trying to be Casablanca here. The "pixels" were good and I could have used more of those - best part of the movie. Michelle Monaghan is criminally unknown. She make major things happen in my pants.

:jer: :jer:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:18 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one, somey. At our house, "Worse than Pixels?" has become our "Better than Crash?" The kids wanted to see it over the summer so we actually paid full price for a weeknight show about a week after its release. We had the whole theater to ourselves. It didn't take long before we started to MST3K it. It's the only way we could've had any fun that night. The movie has a good premise that could be fun, but since it's Adam Sandler and Kevin James, that means they put zero thought or effort into it. They figured they could get by with "Here's Pacman!" and "Here's Donkey Kong!" so why do anything actually clever with it? This was one of the laziest movies I've ever seen. But I do agree with you on Michelle Monaghan. She's easy on the eyes.

:cap: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Well I gave it a 2, which last I checked, was not a good score.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I thought the Centipede battle was the best part. It would be fun to play that for real. Maybe one day with Oculus Rift. Again, good concept, but they did nothing creative with it. Crash is better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 am 

Bone Tomahawk: pretty good movie, especially in such a dead era for westerns. The state trooper in Fargo is the main good guy. His dime piece wife is played by Lili Simmons. There are nudes of her on the Internet. Kurt Russell is another lead and he's basically the same as he was in Tombstone, which was kick ass. Ol' Matthew Fox is back in this too.

I'd give it 3.85 :click:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:50 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Weird watching 2 guys argue over who hates a movie more than the other.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Um I don't think we're arguing about that. :notsure:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:12 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Looks like Tit called you out on giving Pixels more than one star and you defended it by saying you thought it sucked as much as he did. What'd I miss?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
We Bought a Zoo - The "true story" of a man and his two kids who tragically lost their wife/mom, and with the money left to them, they ... bought a zoo. It did tug on the heartstrings a few times and if you don't feel it naturally, the music will let you know when to feel sad. Anyway, you can see the ending coming from a mile away, but it did make me realize that if my wife passes, my two kids and I are fucked.

I enjoyed this one despite the fact that it's sappy and a little predictable. It's Cameron Crowe's only movie since Almost Famous that doesn't suck. I can confirm that someone was slicing onions in the room the first time I watched that final scene in the restaurant. I too would be totally screwed if something happened to my wife.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:29 am 

bigboy wrote:
or somesuch wrote:

I enjoyed this one despite the fact that it's sappy and a little predictable. It's Cameron Crowe's only movie since Almost Famous that doesn't suck. I can confirm that someone was slicing onions in the room the first time I watched that final scene in the restaurant. I too would be totally screwed if something happened to my wife.

That was a pretty good movie. Even Scarlett didn't come across as cunty. I'd be totally effed if my wife died. She does all the bills and crap and knows all the passwords. Plus, we don't have any friends. I'd probably get off the grid and maybe try long haul trucking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Looks like Tit called you out on giving Pixels more than one star and you defended it by saying you thought it sucked as much as he did. What'd I miss?

I guess the math portion where 2 =/= 1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

I guess the math portion where 2 =/= 1.

Wait til your kiddo starts learning common core math. I don't know how to numbers anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:02 pm 

What is common core math? I heard someone else talking about that recently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's a buncha bullshit, that's what it is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I watched all the Star Wars movies in recent weeks with Tit Jr. He was catching some flak from kids at school for never sitting down to watch them. Peer pressure makes you do dumb things, ya know. These movies have been discussed to death, so I'll post my rankings then his, which may prove to be controversial.

Mine:
V
IV
VI
III
I
II

His:
VI
V
III
IV
I
II

He thought the original Star Wars was kinda boring. I think he's high, but I tested his urine and he's not. He's looking forward to The Force Awakens. I'm not, but I'll take him to see it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Your rankings are spot on. I never understood why so many people liked II more than I. I get that IV can be boring, but it's still not dogshit like I-III. I actually think VI upon re-watch is not only the worst of the OT, but a below average movie. I've really been trying to get my daughter to watch these movies, but I don't know why. Other than nostalgia, there's really only one that I even like that much.

Where did you get them? I have DVDs of the PT, but don't have the OT. I want the blu-ray, but I refuse to pay for the re-releases. Give me the originals kemosabe. There are some decent changes (I do like what they did with Palpatine in Episode V) and the deleted scenes are fine (the Biggs one in IV is needed), but most of the changes are garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have the DVDs of the original movies with all those add-ons I received as a gift a long time ago. This means we saw the improved Ewok song at the end. Tit Jr heard all about the Yub-Yub song and really wanted to see it. He was a little disappointed. We had to go to youtube for the original. I bought Phantom Menace on DVD when it came out for some reason. Found used DVDs of II and III at Half-Price Books for $8 each. The only digital options were around $20 each on Amazon or Vudu. Not paying that for movies I don't even like.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:56 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I agree with your rankings, too, Big T. I've only watched VI once and haven't had a desire to see it again. Same with I-III. I could watch VI and V anytime and still be entertained. II is one of the worst movies ever made. I is okay but a little hokey. III wasn't too bad, especially when Anakin is burning alive and gets fitted for the suit. The whole NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO thing really should have been focus grouped though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

When I saw III in the theater and the NOOOOOOO part happened, I laughed out loud. I don't think that was the desired effect. This was only the 2nd time I've sat thru it. It's still pretty funny. I was a youngun of 6-7 years when the original Star Wars came out. I thought Vader was an evil fucking robot at the time. I really hate that he was a sullen, pissy teenager and at one time in his life he loved a girl. I prefer the evil, soulless robot. Give me a T-1000 over him.

II commits the unforgivable sin of being boring. And honestly, I wasn't following the plot all that well. Didn't feel like paying attention to all the bad expository dialog. And tying up Jedis so they can be eaten by hastily-sketched alien things was stupid. The only good part was when Yoda went apeshit at the end.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Far and away, II's most unforgivable sin was "hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo". Was "don't worry, this is Jedi business" also from II?

II was completely unmemorable outside of the bad dialog. I don't even remember Yoda going apeshit in that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Admin

The actual holding by the lake on Naboo was from II, but that horrific line of dialogue was in III. Jedi business was in II.

II's dialogue was indeed the worst though and the plot was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:33 am 

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is a documentary on Netflix. Very worthwhile. I am grateful to them, mostly for the gifts of Bloodsport and the Breakins. Looking back, do you think that poor white girl had any business dancing with Turbo and Ozone. Ozone may have been puttin the pussy on a pedestal.

:bananapepper: :bananapepper: :bananapepper: :bananapepper:

Last edited by Trained Goucho on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Would I be judged harshly if I admited that I've never seen the Breakin' movies?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 81  Next