Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies I Watched This Weekend, Part 3: In 3D
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

I read more than I watch TV or movies too, but my reading is of the non-fiction variety. I'd rather watch TV or movies than read fiction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm 
I'm a tool.

I don't like fiction either. The Bible and other history books.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I'm pretty much better than 99% of the US population.

^This^ is completely false. I'm still a horrible lump of a human being.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
The Lego Movie - Took Tit Jr to see it (just so you don't think I'm weird.) This movie is much better than it needed to be. I was hoping for tolerable and got pretty damn good. There's a revelation toward the end that completely changes the meaning of the movie.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: (out of 5)

Terdette #1 diced Someyette yesterday, so I took her to see this in 3-D. I don't really like 3-D much, but I thought it would be pretty cool for her, but she didn't even want to wear the glasses. I guess when they grow up on crystal clear picture on their TVs, the 3-D doesn't make much of a difference. She said it wasn't blurry when she took off the glasses, so whatever. I tend to side with the dad's original point of view about the toys. I don't let my kids mess with my shit either, especially if I had an elaborate set up like that (which I wouldn't). The movie was funny though. Batman and Green Lantern were hilarious. So was the short Lando cameo. Even though there had to be 100 references and jokes that went over my daughter's head, she liked it too and said she wanted to see The Lego Movie 2. I asked her what she meant and she said every movie has a "2".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:57 pm 
I'm a tool.

or somesuch wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
The Lego Movie - Took Tit Jr to see it (just so you don't think I'm weird.) This movie is much better than it needed to be. I was hoping for tolerable and got pretty damn good. There's a revelation toward the end that completely changes the meaning of the movie.

Terdette #1 diced Someyette yesterday,)

Terd teaches them young

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:03 pm 
I'm a tool.

Happy- Documentary about Siberia. I wouldn't mind living there. They actually have a leader

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Nebraska - An old man gets suckered by a "you won a million dollars" sweepstakes and recruits his son to drive him to "Nebraska" to claim it. It's funny, it's sad, it's touching. Most people probably think the mom (June Squibb) stole the show - and yes, she was funny and shocking (especially at the cemetary) - but I thought Bruce Dern was fantastic. It was a weird role for Will Forte too, but he was good. Apparently, he beat out some pretty heavy names for the gig. It's in black and white. Not sure why.

:wife2: :wife2: :wife2: :wife2: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm 

Jack Reacher--even by mindless action entertainment movie standards, this sucked. The books suck too. I don't know why I read them. They're on par with all the Robert B Parker Spenser series books which I read too. They also suck. A lot of killing, ass kicking, and alpha male attitude and 1 liners. No boobs. Except for Tom Cruise, he got shirtless.

:wanker: out of :wanker: :wanker: :wanker: :wanker: :wanker:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 pm 

or somesuch wrote:
Nebraska - An old man gets suckered by a "you won a million dollars" sweepstakes and recruits his son to drive him to "Nebraska" to claim it. It's funny, it's sad, it's touching. Most people probably think the mom (June Squibb) stole the show - and yes, she was funny and shocking (especially at the cemetary) - but I thought Bruce Dern was fantastic. It was a weird role for Will Forte too, but he was good. Apparently, he beat out some pretty heavy names for the gig. It's in black and white. Not sure why.

:babyarm: I liked DBC, but Dern's performance > McConaughey's

Also, I kinda liked the black and white. It set the vibe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:57 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Devil's Rejects - Been meaning to catch up with this one for a while. Heard it was brutal and a tough watch, but it wasn't that bad. Rob Zombie is a pretty good director but he doesn't need to be writing his own scripts. He also likes to show us his wife's tits and ass, which is good because she's hot and was probably a former stripper. But you know she's naturally pretty and not all tore up. Other boobs are also shown including some full frontal and lots of fucking. The final shootout set to Free Bird is kinda brilliant.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

End of Watch - a riveting action thriller that puts audiences at the center of the chase like never before. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña star as young LA police officers who discover a secret that makes them the target of the country's most dangerous drug cartel. It had the close up camera shake and I get why they did it here, but to make it happen, the story had JG's character filming for one of his college classes or some bullshit like that. Totally convoluted reason. That totally threw me, especially when they're clearing rooms and he has his gun in one hand and the camera in the other. It was pretty intense at times and the dialogue at the ride alongs with JG and MP was pretty classic, probably my favorite parts of the movie.

:drinkbuds: :drinkbuds: :drinkbuds: (out of 5)

Mr Peabody and Sherman - Mr. Peabody, the most accomplished dog in the world, and his mischievous boy Sherman, use their time machine - the WABAC - to go on the most outrageous adventures known to man or dog. Had to kill some time with the kid for Spring Break. I was kind of hoping the Muppets would be out already, but we settled for this one. It was better than I thought, but there were hundreds of history references that my kid didn't get and my wife wouldn't have gotten, and from the silence in the theater, I might have been the only one to get them. It was almost too much to keep up with.

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: (out of 5)

Melancholia - Justine and Michael are celebrating their marriage at a sumptuous party in the home of her sister and brother-in-law. Meanwhile, the planet, Melancholia, is heading towards Earth. This movie is very fucking slow and very "artsy" and it dragged on, even though I liked it quite a bit. The planet was a metaphor for something else ... I think. I couldn't recommend this movie to anyone, ever, but I did like it a lot - as I empathized with Kirsten Dunst's character. She also shows her boobies and they are very nice. Her face, not as nice.

:gammy: :gammy: :gammy: :gammy: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:17 pm 
I'm a tool.

Grown ups 2- genius. :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:

Mrs. Ich and I watched this last night. Good movie. Will Forte surprised me. Bruce Dern deserved his nomination.

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 am 

check out Blue Jasmine next.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
End of Watch - a riveting action thriller that puts audiences at the center of the chase like never before. Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña star as young LA police officers who discover a secret that makes them the target of the country's most dangerous drug cartel. It had the close up camera shake and I get why they did it here, but to make it happen, the story had JG's character filming for one of his college classes or some bullshit like that. Totally convoluted reason. That totally threw me, especially when they're clearing rooms and he has his gun in one hand and the camera in the other. It was pretty intense at times and the dialogue at the ride alongs with JG and MP was pretty classic, probably my favorite parts of the movie.

:drinkbuds: :drinkbuds: :drinkbuds: (out of 5)

I watched this movie yesterday. I liked it probably even more than you did. It almost didn't need the plot about being targets. It would've been cool just to be a regular buddy movie where they drive around and do stuff, but I understand why they ended it the way it did.
:ginger: :ginger: :ginger: :ginger: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:42 pm 
I'm a tool.

Captain Phillips- Waaaay better than I thought. Eff the Muslims, but Christians are the bad people

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:22 am 
Site Admin

cap wrote:
Christians are the bad people

No

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:16 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Grand Budapest Hotel recounts the adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend. The story involves the theft and recovery of a priceless Renaissance painting and the battle for an enormous family fortune -- all against the back-drop of a suddenly and dramatically changing Continent.

This was a wild farce of a movie which made me laugh out loud many times. Mrs. Ich, not so much, though she was preoccupied with the older couple on the other side of her groping each other like teenagers.

:p :p :p out of 5 :p

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 pm 
I'm a tool.

Dallas buyers club- the effing government is corrupt!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am 
Site Admin

bigboy wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Also Silver Linings Playbook is kick ass. Even Bradley Cooper is likeable in this.

Meh. I was into it until it got to the part where Robert DeNiro's character placed a bet on the dance contest. It fell apart quickly at that point.

Cap has bet on crazier things than that, but I thought it was meh too. I wanted to like it because I found both characters likeable, but the football and dancing shit seemed so forced in. Also, the scene where J-Law's character come back to the house after Cooper missed the dance practice for the game was cringeworthy. I thought the conversations between the two main characters, where they were ripping each other, were the best parts.

:fag: :fag: :fag: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 am 
I'm a tool.

American Hustle- the first scene was hilarious. Messing up the comb over

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mallard X wrote:
Ichabod wrote:
Grand Budapest Hotel Mrs. Ich, not so much, though she was preoccupied with the older couple on the other side of her groping each other like teenagers.

Disgusted or envious?

I was envious. She was disgusted.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:

Found it interesting that the movie made the Gov/FDA out as the bad guys. In reality, the FDA worked with the various buyers clubs to get the drugs into the coutry. Leave it to the Hollyweird libs to make the government out to be evil, amirite?

Also Rod Woodruff wasn't a raging homophobe either. He was bisexual.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm 
I'm a tool.

Diello wrote:
cap wrote:

Found it interesting that the movie made the Gov/FDA out as the bad guys. In reality, the FDA worked with the various buyers clubs to get the drugs into the coutry. Leave it to the Hollyweird libs to make the government out to be evil, amirite?

So is Francis underwood. Spoiler alert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm 

Diello wrote:
cap wrote:

That movie also made the both people standing sexual intercourse position look easy. Well, it's not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm 
I'm a tool.

Diello wrote:
cap wrote:

why do you know so much about aids? gaywad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:48 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Now You See Me - Good cast, stylish, had the right twists, etc., but holy shit was this one weak-ass screenplay. Could've been interesting, but wasn't. Opportunity = blown.

:violin: :violin: (out of 5)

Life of Pi - Really pretty to look at. Profound? Maybe. Worth another look. The CG tiger was better than that volleyball from Cast Away.

:crickets: :crickets: :crickets: :crickets: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:56 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Winter's Bone
Well done movie starring Jennifer Lawrence as a 17 year old mountain girl trying to hold her family together after her father goes missing on a bail bond which meas that they would lose their home and surrounding land.

Interesting study of the code of the hills and the interaction amongst the various clans.

Great performane by Dale Dickey as a lead mountain woman. Coincidently, Dale was a year behind me in high school back in Knoxville. She's carved out a pretty good little career as a character actress.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Admin

cap wrote:
21 Jump Street-Horrible.

You are crazy. This movie is bordering on 4 stars out of 5. Hilarious. I never saw an episode of the show though, so I can't compare.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:babyarm: to :somey:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
cap wrote:
21 Jump Street-Horrible.

You are crazy. This movie is bordering on 4 stars out of 5. Hilarious. I never saw an episode of the show though, so I can't compare.

the show was terrible. The movie was genius. You were right about the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Cap liked both Grown-Ups.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:52 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
Cap liked both Grown-Ups.

Jesus fuck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Captain America: the Winter Soldier - You get to hear Gary Shandling say with all seriousness "Hail Hydra".

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: 1/2 out of five.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:19 pm 
I'm a tool.

Django- quinton's best movie to date

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Here's my movies over the last 2 weeks. 5 star scale.

Monsters University - :variable: :variable: :variable:

Stealth - :ebrake: 1/2

Gattaca - :saggerdash: :saggerdash: :saggerdash: :saggerdash:

Take Shelter - :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: 1/4

Also rewatched Unforgiven and LA Confidential. Time has been kind to both of them. They hold up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 am 

here's my movies from the last week. 5 star scale:

rewatched American Beauty after some people talked about it on AIF. Now that I'm in my 40's I really figured it would resonate in a more powerful way. It didn't. I don't think it has aged well. Seemed really overacted, particularly by Annette Bening. Even Spacey was a little too Spacey. I'd still give it :drama: :drama: :drama:

Prisoners: this thriller was quite entertaining and keeps you on your toes throughout. Sure, it has a few plot holes but I liked it. Stars Hugh Jackman. His wife is played by Maria Bello, who is a trashy hot root that seems boozy and low class in every role. Jake Gyllenhaal is the detective assigned to the case. Not sure why he is sporting neck and knuckle tattoos in this role.
:ginger: :ginger: :ginger: :ginger:

Joe---- read the review in the DMN on Saturday and watched it later that night. Stars Nick Cage. The review lauded this as his comeback movie. What's great abut Cage is that he approaches even truly terrible movies as serious parts and he throws himself into the role 100% even though, well, the movie kind of demands a certain amount of coasting. It's why his bad movies are so entertaining to me. He's more subdued in this and it has an interesting story. kind of an indie feel to it. I liked it.
:beaver: :beaver: :beaver: 1/2

Mistaken for Strangers documentary made by the lovable fuck up brother of the lead singer for the National. Their music doesn't do it for me, but this movie was great. originally, the brother- who is a metal head, wanted to name his documentary For Those About to Weep, as a nod to his musical preferences and a playful jab towards the angst ridden tendencies of the National's songs.
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: and 1/2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Captain Murica 2 - It was good.

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Dallas Buyer's Club - Holy shit, Jared Leto will go all in for a role. Had no idea that was him until I looked it up. And I was thinking how crazy Matthew McConaughey looked until Leto. I didn't know much about this story, and I was prepared to give this 5 out of 5, until I read some more information about it and they changed a lot.
:fag: :fag: :fag: :fag: (out of 5)

After Earth - I really want to like M Night. He's willing to do things different than most people and I can appreciate that. But this is just like any other movie. Any other movie where people have to leave earth because it's not safe for humans anymore and while on a mission outside of their new planet, encounter an asteroid belt and have to go through a wormhole which takes them back to earth. Yeah. Will Smith's kid needs to take an acting class and a speech class. He sucks.
:crickets: :crickets: (out of 5)

American Hustle - It was good, but it needed more hustling. There was never a doubt in my mind who Amy Adams was siding with in this thing. It could have used a big twist. It was still entertaining enough. Both Bale and Cooper looked pretty awesome with their respective 'dos.
:psb: :psb: :psb: 1/2 (out of 5)

Thor 2 - Whatever. See it if you want. Or don't. I don't give a fuck.
:evil: :evil: :evil: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

bigboy wrote:
August: Osage County - An alcoholic old man runs out on his sick, drug addicted wife and eventually offs himself. Their 3 daughters come to town for the funeral and to figure out what to do with their mother. There's an extended post funeral dinner scene where this family full of a lot of shitty people attack each other. Even the characters that aren't shitty have their flaws. There's a pretty big plot twist in the end that's kind of sickening. The acting in this one is damn good all the way around - it is obvious Meryl Streep Oscar bait. Entertaining and pretty dark, but doesn't leave you feeling bad in the end.

:wife2: :wife2: :wife2: and a half out of 4

This is a spot on review. Bye forum. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:24 pm 
I'm a tool.

Don't encourage that bitch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 81  Next