Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Major League Ballparks you've attended a game at
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:28 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mr. Rogers's SkyDome in Canadia -- Great stadium for opening in 1989. Fans were hard-core into the game. Dome was open. Only got a view of the Canadian penis-tower which seems to be larger than other big-city penis-towers. What's the deal with big-city penis-towers? I eat the same two things at every baseball game: a hotdog with nothing on it and plain nachos. The same two things I've eaten at every game I've been to since I was a kid. Their hotdog was wrinkly and not tasty, and the nachos were meh. Canadia doesn't get it. I'd had top-notch poutine a few days before so didn't try it at the stadium. Got a cool baby-blue jersey cup for my collection. A real bitch to drive to and park. Overall still better than Rangers Stadium.

Citi Field -- cool stadium and vibe. Shit-ton of tailgating in the ample parking lots. The fans around us were cool considering we were decked out in Rangers gear (should mention they were playing the Rangers). I feel even with Mets fans, there's a bit of "oh, you're a Rangers fan? That's cute." Shook hands/creeped out Emily Jones randomly in the concourse before the game. The hotdog and nachos were good. The kids got ice cream in the home-run apple instead of batting helmets. Rangers lost. Great stadium. Better than Rangers stadium.

Bonus: The Louisville Slugger Factory -- really cool to tour the factory in downtown Louisville. Very cool behind the scenes stuff. Felt awkward though, since people are just going about their daily jobs. How would you feel if they gave tours of your office every fifteen minutes? Got to hold a bat Willie Mays used. Better than Rangers Stadium.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Damn, son, you were all over the place.

I did the Louisville Slugger tour when I was a kid back when the factory was actually in Indiana. It was the same back then that people were working and groups were strolling by. Probably just part of the job. They gave everyone a mini bat as a souvenir. Mine was a Jason Thompson. My brother got an Al Oliver. I think I still have mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:32 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We were on the road for 19 days. It was a blast. The wife has family in Rochester and New Jersey so those were the main places.

We got mini-bats as souvenirs but there's no names on them. Weirdly we randomly stopped at a gas station in Hancock (giggle), NY that calls itself "The Old Bat Factory" and claims to be in the building of the Louisville Slugger factory as well. When I look it up on line, I can only find the downtown Louisville and Indiana factories so not sure if they're legit. Got a shirt anyway. While in northern New Jersey I went and found Lou Gehrig's grave and then went to Babe Ruth's and Billy Martin's, which I'd been to before.

Non baseball things we did: the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, went to where Woodstock was held, and Niagara Falls including the Maid of the Mist and Journey Behind the Falls. Good family trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Damn I was coming here to post that I went to the new Globe Life today for the first time, but I see I’ve been defeated soundly. I had the chicken fried brisket sandwich. It was $16.50. I didn’t really like it much. I also don’t get full easily (still have my entire god given stomach), but I was struggling at the end.

My boy has finally gotten into baseball and begged me to go to a game. I’m old now and don’t really like leaving the house. Lots of Twins fans. Got 4 Corey Seager bobble heads. Traffic getting out was a nightmare. I liked the stadium. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I still haven't been to a game at the new stadium. I shit on it out of general cynicism-trolliness. My "complaint" from games on TV is the generic-ness of it. Nothing stands out to me yet, it might as well be Arizona's stadium.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

To make it less generic and more Rangery, they should've made the whole stadium a giant cowboy hat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 am 
Site Admin

I’ve only been to 3 current stadiums and I rank Globe Life last, so there is that. It is definitely generic and it’s still Arlington. I’m not really an Arlington hater, but we’re at the bottom of the list for atmosphere outside the stadium. It was nice not having to sit in 107 degree heat, but I did get a bit sad driving by TBiA. Lots of good memories there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
We were on the road for 19 days. It was a blast. The wife has family in Rochester and New Jersey so those were the main places.

We got mini-bats as souvenirs but there's no names on them. Weirdly we randomly stopped at a gas station in Hancock (giggle), NY that calls itself "The Old Bat Factory" and claims to be in the building of the Louisville Slugger factory as well. When I look it up on line, I can only find the downtown Louisville and Indiana factories so not sure if they're legit. Got a shirt anyway. While in northern New Jersey I went and found Lou Gehrig's grave and then went to Babe Ruth's and Billy Martin's, which I'd been to before.

Non baseball things we did: the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, went to where Woodstock was held, and Niagara Falls including the Maid of the Mist and Journey Behind the Falls. Good family trip.

How was the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis? We're going to Memphis this coming weekend and looking for stuff to do. We are not going to Graceland. So far we have the Stax Musuem of American Soul Music on our list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:57 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Civil Rights Museum is an absolute must. There's two parts to it: the Lorraine Motel (which is the main part) and the apartment building across the street where James Earl Ray shot from. We went 10 or so years ago and the only part that was finished was the Apartment and it felt like a museum just dedicated to James Earl Ray, it just tracks his movements leading up to the assassination. But now that the rest is finished, it's fantastic. I wish they had more dedicated to more than just black civil rights, but what is there is really well done.

Right around the corner is Central BBQ which have the best ribs in town, and maybe the country. They do them both dry and wet. Have them and then troll Fruit for saying Memphis BBQ is better than Texas.

Rendezvous is a classic BBQ place right by Beale Street (which itself needs to be seen) but go for the atmosphere, don't expect the transcendent ribs of Central.

Visit Sun Recording Studio. May be the best tour in Memphis. Also the Memphis Redbirds have a really cool downtown stadium.

Be very selective about the hotel you stay in. I tried to go cheap and stay on the outskirts a bit. Mega-industrial area. There was a random Mexican restaurant in the shared parking lot. I went to get takeout and there were two armed, vested security guards wanding everyone walking in the door. So good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:

Right around the corner is Central BBQ which have the best ribs in town, and maybe the country. They do them both dry and wet. Have them and then troll Fruit for saying Memphis BBQ is better than Texas.

Oh it's on! :D

Thanks for the recommend. We're gonna do the Civil Rights tour. Gonna look into Sun Studios too.

We're staying in an AirBnB somewhere close to the 'burbs. My parents lived in Germantown on the east side for a few years while I was in college, so I have a pretty good idea where the white people sleep.

Tit Jr is coming with us, and he'll eat ribs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so we'll probably try every place we can find.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:28 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Chase Field - This is where the Diamondbacks play. Nice place but not a lot of character. The roof was open and the weather was awesome, so it was a nice night. D-backs played the Dodgers (or D-Backs vs D-Bags) and there were a LOT of Dodgers fans there. Good crowd. Fun to watch a game with. There were fireworks after the show.

Had a D-backs Dog, and there was no condiment station anywhere. Had to eat that sucker plain. Normally, I'm a spicy mustard and relish guy, though I will add chopped onions if they're available. What do you like on your hot dog? Mrs Tit got a burrito and it was spicy like a mug. She struggled with it so I got to eat some of that too. Later we got some fancy ice cream swirl in those plastic team helmets. Those are fun. Apparently the brand of ice cream uses sheep's milk. It tasted different and was good. I have no idea about the health benefits of sheep's milk vs cow milk.

This was my first post-covid game. It was good to be back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:15 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I don't put anything on anything. Hot dogs: plain. Fries/tots: maybe chili and/or cheese. Chicken nuggs: no dip. Hamburgers: lettuce onions and mayo. So sometimes I put something on something. Condiments over-power the entree in my opinion, even if applied lightly. If it needs condiments, then it wasn't good to begin with.

Ketchup is absolutely and in all ways disgusting. If you put ketchup on anything, you are a terrible and worthless human being. Ketchup is the Devil's cum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:47 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
Chase Field - This is where the Diamondbacks play. Nice place but not a lot of character. The roof was open and the weather was awesome, so it was a nice night. D-backs played the Dodgers (or D-Backs vs D-Bags) and there were a LOT of Dodgers fans there. Good crowd. Fun to watch a game with. There were fireworks after the show.

Had a D-backs Dog, and there was no condiment station anywhere. Had to eat that sucker plain. Normally, I'm a spicy mustard and relish guy, though I will add chopped onions if they're available. What do you like on your hot dog? Mrs Tit got a burrito and it was spicy like a mug. She struggled with it so I got to eat some of that too. Later we got some fancy ice cream swirl in those plastic team helmets. Those are fun. Apparently the brand of ice cream uses sheep's milk. It tasted different and was good. I have no idea about the health benefits of sheep's milk vs cow milk.

This was my first post-covid game. It was good to be back.

I would have had diarrhea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

I put mustard and relish on my hot dog. I don’t really love hot dogs. They’re ok and I eat them if they’re around, but I would typically choose something else, if available. I agree with D on ketchup, though maybe with not quite as much gumption. I also eat my freedom fries plain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:03 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

guys guys guys guys... have you seen this???

I've been mixing mayo and ketchup for decades. I use it mainly for fries but I put it on burgers, too. This stuff is not bad as far as premade mixed stuff goes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

There's a spicy aioli sauce that's really good on burgers. Kinda like mayochup but with some kick.

You know what else is really good? Take your bottle of mayo (not Miracle Whip that's gross) and add a packet of taco seasoning to it. Mix it up and mm-mm good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
You know what else is really good? Take your bottle of mayo (not Miracle Whip that's gross) and add a packet of taco seasoning to it. Mix it up and mm-mm good.

Sounds interesting. Which taco sauce? JitB?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Sounds interesting. Which taco sauce? JitB?

Taco seasoning. The powdered stuff. I think we had some Old El Paso lying around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i gotcha. Nothing like a little MSG to spice things up! I keep a shaker of store brand taco seasoning on hand for nachos. Sprinkle some of it on top of the cheese before you cook and BAM! the taste gets kicked up a notch and you're on your way to FlavortownTM!