Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 74  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mundane shit worth sharing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 pm 

There is an old adult video store just north of Sanger on I35 going to Oklahoma called KT Video. It's been closed for several years and today somebody posted a picture of it on Twitter, being demolished. There were a lot of comments but the best one was this:

Alas, not a happy ending.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:56 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Jr got his first job. I highly recommend NOT ordering from the Pizza Hut in Sachse if you had ideas about doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 am 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:
Tit Jr got his first job. I highly recommend NOT ordering from the Pizza Hut in Sachse if you had ideas about doing so.

Cream sauce on side?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Tit Jr got his first job.

:fist:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 am 

Tit Whistle wrote:
Tit Jr got his first job. .

:bflat: So Old in the D. :bflat:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 am 

Anybody here subscribe to the Athletic? Newberg was spamming the crap out of everyone about it on Twitter when it started, and that turned me off of it. And him.

I briefly thought about subscribing to it when baseball started this year, now I probably never will.

Today Barry Horn Tweeted this:

Barry Horn
@bhorn55
·
18m
I have repeatedly attempted to unsubscribe from @TheAthletic
. I was assured last year it was done. But I once more have been charged a fee. What gives?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I wonder why they didn't just use an ad-based model for that. A subscription based service for something that is so wildly available for free doesn't make sense to me, but I'm sure there are people that like it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I like it. The Mavs writing is superb. Can’t get that anywhere else.

Levi Weaver is solid for the Rangers. I soured on Newberg years ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:31 pm 

I just killed the biggest rat I've ever seen. It was in my water heater room and tearing all sorts of shit up. I bought a snap trap at Tractor Supply today and used that. It took a while for the damn thing to die, he was so big. But he gone.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:28 am 

What next? Do you put on some dishwashing gloves and pick that SOB up by your hands and throw it away? Do you grab tongs from a kitchen drawer and do it that way? A shovel? That's the most squeamish part of the rat killing experience for me.

I caught a smallish rat on one of those glue traps last year. He was still alive, his rat eyes bugged out watching me, when i found him. I finished him off with a Louisville slugger. It was such a thrill I set another one. I caught a small bird with the second glue trap. Glue traps come 2 to a box, btw. Anyhoo, it was still alive, its bird eyes panicked and its wings flapping, when i found it. I tried to free it, but it was freaking out too bad. Nothing i could say could soothe him. Whistling was futile as well. One of its little frail bird legs might have been broken when i tried to free it from the snarls of the glue with some tongs. It was too much to bear so I finished him off with the same bat. It kind of broke my heart killing that little bird. I haven't used glue traps since. I ran the tongs through the dishwasher and never told the wife. I'd probably throw tongs away if i used them to discard a rat.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 am 

I used a shovel to pick it up. Even though it wouldn't have hurt anything to throw it out in the woods, I dug a small hole and buried him.

I also reset the trap just in case he had a friend.

The modern snap trap is so much better than the old style ones. I hope whoever invented them is rich.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:21 am 

jim jack wrote:
The modern snap trap is so much better than the old style ones. I hope whoever invented them is rich.

:babyarm: big time. did yours come with that toothpaste type stuff to bait them

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:54 am 

Oh wow, I didn't know there was such a thing. Choosy Hoobs choose Jif for rat bait.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Anybody here subscribe to the Athletic?

I do. It's pretty cheap and the content is worth it. Ken Rosenthal and Peter Gammons are both on there. Levi Weaver's coverage of the Rangers is top notch and reminds me of what Newberg was like 10 years ago. Sturm does the deep dive into the Cowboys and the NFL that he used to do on his blog if you're into that. I'm not a big basketball fan, but the NBA coverage is definitely worth a drive by for me. I've run across plenty of articles from other cities that are interesting. My favorite article thus far was the one (can't remember the writer) where they interviewed a bunch of QBs that had played for Mike Leach over the years.

Like everyone else, I soured on Newberg's pretentiousness years ago. He spent years covering something that no one else was covering, but he lost me when he strayed into "I'm a better fan that everyone else" territory. Everyone is going ga ga over his current column where he is writing it from the time perspective of 2025. I get that there ain't shit else to write about, but sports fan fiction is dumb.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 pm 

jim jack wrote:
jim jack wrote:
jim jack wrote:
Deer season cannot get here soon enough.

I want the hunters to thin those sumbitches out and get them off the roads. I had two really close calls on the way home from work tonight. One was a buck that was obviously preoccupied with a doe. It is that time of the year.

Some guy was tailgating me at 70 mph. When the first incident happened, I swerved and got on the brakes. He dropped way behind me and stayed that way.

Kill them.

And then this morning, a friend hit one driving to work. She was in Azle on 199 in a populated area.

Kill them.

Fuck a duck. Today it was my turn. Because of the time change, I was on the road when the sun was coming up and that is a time when they are active.

A doe came out of the tall grass and ran in front of me. I was going 70. I nearly missed it, but it caught the driver's side and ripped the molding off of the front fender off of the driver's side.

A couple of years ago, I bought a deer whistle that mounts on the grill but never put it on because I read they didn't help. I put it on this evening.

Damn it to hell.

It happened again, this time to my Civic. I drove it the rest of the way home, something like 25 miles. It ruined the front end, hood, and dented the radiator. And yet the headlights still worked. I don't suppose they will total it since it drives just fine. But it has a lot of damage.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 pm 

jim jack wrote:
jim jack wrote:
jim jack wrote:
jim jack wrote:
Deer season cannot get here soon enough.

I want the hunters to thin those sumbitches out and get them off the roads. I had two really close calls on the way home from work tonight. One was a buck that was obviously preoccupied with a doe. It is that time of the year.

Some guy was tailgating me at 70 mph. When the first incident happened, I swerved and got on the brakes. He dropped way behind me and stayed that way.

Kill them.

And then this morning, a friend hit one driving to work. She was in Azle on 199 in a populated area.

Kill them.

Fuck a duck. Today it was my turn. Because of the time change, I was on the road when the sun was coming up and that is a time when they are active.

A doe came out of the tall grass and ran in front of me. I was going 70. I nearly missed it, but it caught the driver's side and ripped the molding off of the front fender off of the driver's side.

A couple of years ago, I bought a deer whistle that mounts on the grill but never put it on because I read they didn't help. I put it on this evening.

Damn it to hell.

It happened again, this time to my Civic. I drove it the rest of the way home, something like 25 miles. It ruined the front end, hood, and dented the radiator. And yet the headlights still worked. I don't suppose they will total it since it drives just fine. But it has a lot of damage.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Was the deer whistle included in the front end damage?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:05 am 

Even though it's 1:05 am and big weather is about to hit, I had to know. I went out to see and it's gone.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:16 pm 

When I drove by it today, the damn buzzards or whatever had already picked the ribs clean. It was well off the road, and they could work on it without having to worry about cars hitting them like they usually do.

What a feast.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:27 am 

Would a betting man lose if he wagered you rolled your window down and yelled "your welcome" as you drove by the sight?

Anyhoo, I am always amazed that these types of scavenging prey birds are never seen, especially in the urban world, but those big ugly rascals have always shown up, Johnny on the spot, in every neighborhood I've ever lived to clean up after the occasional possum or something that bites the dust. Where do these bird live? How does the word get out to them for every random carcass? Like, nature, man, drops a pin or something.

You called them buzzards and I always thought of buzzards as the circling birds in the more rural areas and that the big uglies I would see in the city were vultures but apparently buzzards, vultures, and condors are all kind of the same thing and there are 23 varieties of them. They are found on every continent except for Australia and Antarctica. While there are many fascinating TIL-type facts I encourage you to explore, here are the ones that stood out to me about vultures/buzzards/condors:

*it's a myth that they circle dying animals
*they pee on their legs to cool off in hot weather. this process is called urohydrosis
*featherless heads and bare necks protect them from bacteria & parasites on rotting carcasses that cause infections
*when threatened, vultures vomit to lighten their body weight so they can escape more easily into flight

cliff clavin pic here

Finally, they have weak feet and legs and cannot carry prey away. Something else moved that deer off the road. :eek:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That surprises me that the buzzards never moved to Australia. Seems like there'd be fine pickens for them in that Outback. Then again, spiders the size of Datsuns.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:37 pm 

Some varmints have been introduced to Australia throughout history (rabbits for example), I am surprised that buzzards weren't brought there at some point.

When we would notice buzzards circling in the sky, it was common for Mrs. Hoob to turn to me and ask if I was feeling sick. I still think of her when I see this. And I smile.

It took the insurance rep a long time to read off the list of parts that were broken and the total damage was $6,000. It would have taken around $10,000 for it to be totaled.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Drunk

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:05 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
Drunk

:twirl:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:54 am 
Site Admin

jim jack wrote:
Some varmints have been introduced to Australia throughout history (rabbits for example), I am surprised that buzzards weren't brought there at some point.

When we would notice buzzards circling in the sky, it was common for Mrs. Hoob to turn to me and ask if I was feeling sick. I still think of her when I see this. And I smile.

It took the insurance rep a long time to read off the list of parts that were broken and the total damage was $6,000. It would have taken around $10,000 for it to be totaled.

australia built a super long fence because of those damn jackrabbits https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence
more than 2000 miles of fence, crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
jim jack wrote:

australia built a super long fence because of those damn jackrabbits https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence

It kept out the Mexicans, too. Maybe Trump was on to something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:53 pm 
I'm a tool.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:
jim jack wrote:

It kept out the Mexicans, too. Maybe Trump was on to something.

Make Australia Great Again

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:27 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

fruitdog wrote:
jim jack wrote:

There is a movie with the “Rabbit Proof Fence” as the backdrop. Some mixed race kids get sent away to become servants. The kids escape and follow the “Rabbit Proof Fence” to get home, all the while the authorities are following them along the route of the “Rabbit Proof Fence”. It was pretty good. I think it was called “The bus that couldn’t slow down”.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:08 pm 

Since I bought my blacklight flashlight a few months ago, I haven't seen any scorpions in the house. My usual routine is to use the flashlight in darkness and look at the walls, ceiling, under the pillows, and under the bed.

Last night I saw a white dot high up on the wall above the air conditioner. How odd, I thought. Turned on the regular light and it was a MFing scorpion, balled up for some reason. Tried to kill it and missed and it dropped to the floor and hid.

TWO HOURS LATER I finally killed the damn thing with a shoe. I came in a little bit late to work since I didn't fall asleep until around 1:30.

So, two thumbs up on the blacklight flashlight. It probably kept my old ass from being stung during the night.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Since I bought my blacklight flashlight a few months ago, I haven't seen any scorpions in the house. My usual routine is to use the flashlight in darkness and look at the walls, ceiling, under the pillows, and under the bed.

Last night I saw a white dot high up on the wall above the air conditioner. How odd, I thought. Turned on the regular light and it was a MFing scorpion, balled up for some reason. Tried to kill it and missed and it dropped to the floor and hid.

TWO HOURS LATER I finally killed the damn thing with a shoe. I came in a little bit late to work since I didn't fall asleep until around 1:30.

So, two thumbs up on the blacklight flashlight. It probably kept my old ass from being stung during the night.

They don't squish easily, especially on carpet. Use needle-nosed pliers to grab em by the pus- er.. tail. Then you can kill em on your terms. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:50 am 
I'm a tool.

Sweet Greggo wrote:
jim jack wrote:

They don't squish easily, especially on carpet. Use needle-nosed pliers to grab em by the pus- er.. tail. Then you can kill em on your terms. :twisted:

:babyarm: Stab those bastards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 pm 

The animated Kiss of War commercials on Google Play Store are goofy as hell. The girl warriors all have out-of-proportioned booties, huge knockers, and beautiful hair. One commenter compared some of these commercials to scenes from Brazzers, which made me laugh.

I saw some comments about which females were the hottest. I am pretty sure that some of these guys needed some alone time while thinking about their favorite Kiss of War girl.

We are a nation of dumbasses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:01 pm 

Never heard of Kiss of War but didn't feel the need to look it up. Never heard of Brazzers and did look it up. I'm glad there weren't any auto pop ups.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:23 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Never heard of Brazzers

:bullshit:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:30 pm 

A recurring complaint I have had with the kitchen in the house is its lack of electrical outlets (or is it receptacles). I think it's receptacles but I always say outlets. Anywho, there are 0 along the backsplash all down the counters. There is 1 on the island. I've been in this house 4 years this week and have always gotten ticked when I think about the impracticality of so few receptacles. This week an under the cabinet light burned out. It is the first time one of these lights has gone out. When i looked up under the cabinet to remove the light bulb I discovered there were 2 additional outlets up under them sumbitches. It was like getting a new kitchen and something that has made me happy.

BTW, the light bulb is like no bulb I've ever had. It is a small bulb, just like those kind with 2 pins/prongs on the end, except this bulb had a usb-type end. What is your least favorite light bulb? The 2 pin kind of bulbs are my least favorite light bulbs. Boy, they sure heat up fast too, like as soon as they get plugged in. I always wear nitrile gloves when i change out light bulbs. Do you know what else? There sure are a ton of different kinds of light bulbs these days. Lowe's and Depot did not carry this one. Couldn't find the exact right kind on Amazon either. It was a G9 25w 120v, fyi. Luckily there is an odd chain here called Batteries and Bulbs. All they sell is batteries and bulbs. They had it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm 

bigboy wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Never heard of Brazzers

:bullshit:

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:14 pm 

Trained Goucho wrote:
What is your least favorite light bulb? The 2 pin kind of bulbs are my least favorite light bulbs.

My least favorite is the 2 pin one that goes in Malibu ground lighting. They are a pain to deal with, and sometimes the problem isn't the bulb. But sometimes it is.

Funny that Mrs. Hoob told me to stay my ass away from the house until the ground lighting stopped working. Then suddenly I was welcome again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I had a kitchen fixture when we moved in that had the 2 prong bulbs and I had hell finding them because there were no specs etched anywhere on the bulbs. Luckily Home Depot didn't have much of a selection and I lucked out and picked the right one. My current hell is that we installed a ton of new lighting when we moved in and the wife bought a bunch of Edison-style decorative LED bulbs and a couple of them have gone out for some odd reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:36 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I had a light fixture in my laundry room that had two circular fluorescent bulbs:

In the 4 years I owned it the bulbs burnt out 4 times. The bulbs cost about $6 each and would always burn out together. The last time it went dark I just bought a new light fixture altogether:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial- ... /205148599

It uses integrated LEDs and claims it will last 50k hours, so if it's left on 24/7 it will last over 5 years. Under normal use it should last longer than me. Plus, it's at least 4 times brighter than the other fixture. I wish I would have changed it when I first bought the house.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We had one of those integrated LED lights above the kitchen sink in the old place. I bought it way undersized so it was never bright enough to use without turning on the other lights in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:29 pm 

Hoob ISD just switched to all LED lighting last week. I walked into my office the other day and I realized I could see how dirty the floor was.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Anyone had any issues with flickering lights in a ceiling fan? This started happening a few weeks ago. I thought it was because the fluorescent bulbs were going out but now I think it might be the LED bulbs I was put in. I looked up possible causes and the internet says it's most likely due to the limiting switch, but these are some low level watt bulbs. My guess is the fan just doesn't like LED bulbs, but I'll have to buy some traditional bulbs to make sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 74  Next