Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: High School Playoff Football
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:17 pm 

I guess all of these mouth breathers who whined about the high school championships being at the Death Star are happy now. Well, they may not be smart enough to realize what just happened.

Today the NFL released their schedule and the Cowboys are hosting the Jets at night on Saturday, December 19. That is championship day for several divisions in Texas High School football, and it ruins things.

San Antonio or Houston may host it this year. Dang it.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews. ... dium.html/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:41 pm 

This weather event has coincided with high school baseball and softball playoffs. Dozens of games had to be moved because of the rain. Hoob HS moved three times because of it.

One of the interesting things that happened was, the schools with turf were busy as hell, hosting one game after another. One school finished at 3:00 am on Friday night/Saturday morning.

One turf school is in Bowie (the town), which is kinda sorta toward Wichita Falls. They had six teams there at once on Friday. Two games were going on and one was waiting to start. And a tornado visited. They quickly retreated into the high school for shelter.

Seeing the schedule this week, quite a few schools have scheduled games for turf schools. It doesn't matter if they have seating capacity or not. They have turf. Some of these host schools are little 1a schools not big enough to have football. I wonder what the rental fee is.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:41 pm 

Occasionally I get pressure to cover 7 on 7 football, and I won't do it because it's not football. I really hate it.

That season is going on right now, and it appears that Graham and Kaufman have been disqualified from the tournament they were in because they put up their dukes during a game. They may be banned from Texas 7 on 7 for a year. Too bad.

This tweet from a journalist made me giggle:

David Hinojosa ‏@hinojosa_david 9m9 minutes ago

Getting DQed from practice football is sad.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 pm 

Today in playoff softball, Pilot Point was playing Hughes Springs. The game was postponed with PP leading 5-4 in the third. And it wasn't postponed because of weather.

The home plate umpire picked that moment to have a heart attack. The game will be resumed on Monday. I think he lived, but it freaked out the poor girls on both teams.

Yabut.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Today in playoff softball, Pilot Point was playing Hughes Springs. The game was postponed with PP leading 5-4 in the third. And it wasn't postponed because of weather.

The home plate umpire picked that moment to have a heart attack. The game will be resumed on Monday. I think he lived, but it freaked out the poor girls on both teams.

Yabut.

They couldn't pull in the infield ump to finish the game? We've got a schedule to keep here, people!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:07 pm 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
jim jack wrote:

Yabut.

They couldn't pull in the infield ump to finish the game? We've got a schedule to keep here, people!

It was girls, and they didn't want to deal with it right then.

But I thought the same thing. I once saw a baseball plate ump get heat exhaustion and that is exactly what they did to finish the game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 pm 

Being a photographer at high school football games for years, I have always feared getting drilled by someone running out of bounds. I also fear getting run over by some random punk who wants to bowl over a photog like he sees on TV.

I have seen serious injuries of kids wearing pads who got knocked all the way onto the track, and landing on the asphalt blew out their knee or broke a limb. I'm not sure my old ass could survive that sort of thing. I am a chickenshit.

On Friday, a coach from Scurry-Rosser got hit by a play that went out of bounds, and he got knocked all the way back to the track and hit his head on a concrete curb at the edge of the track. His condition is serious. The kid from the other team who hit him feels awful about it. I won't link the Fox 4 story because it has an annoying autoplay video on it, but I will steal their copy:

Students at a North Texas high school are wearing school colors in support of their football coach, who was injured during a game Friday.

Mark Bachtel is the coach of the Scurry-Rosser High School Wildcats, southwest of Kaufman.

A player accidentally tackled him on the sidelines during Friday’s football game, causing him to hit his head on a concrete curb. A stunned crowd watched as a Careflite helicopter rushed him to the hospital and the game was canceled.

Fans and friends later gathered for a prayer vigil, including the Malakoff High School player who hit him.

"I kind of went into shock and I fell down on the field crying. I felt really bad about it, but I understand and the other players involved understand that there is nothing we could do about it," said Jake Woolverton, the Malakoff quarterback.

Bachtel has been a coach and teacher for 40 years. He remains sedated at Baylor University Medical Center with a serious head injury and fractured eye socket.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:26 am 
I'm a tool.

yes sad story. however, you need to stay behind the thick white line.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:43 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
... and the game was canceled.

wtf this ain't nebraska

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:00 pm 

Coach Bachtel is reportedly doing better. It wasn't said in the Fox 4 story, but he is an assistant coach at Scurry-Rosser. The head coach of the team is Jason Bachtel, his son. It appears that the entire family are pretty good guys and highly respected in the profession.

It's just message board talk, but I read where the head coach sought out the kid that ran over his dad and comforted the kid.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:49 pm 

On the subject of coaches getting in the way, the rule is, warn you once, flag you the second time.

Last night I covered a game as usual, and the referee was downright aggressive in making coaches stay the hell off of the field.

Before two minutes were off of the clock, my side of the field had received a sideline warning, and the other side had already received a penalty.

Officials piss me off sometimes, but I don't have a problem with this one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:08 pm 

I have heard rumors of Texas playoff games happening in Oklahoma but until now, I had never known of it for real.

Anna High School (a small 4A north of McKinney) is playing Perryton, a school on the northern edge of the panhandle. They are playing in Cache, Oklahoma, which is near Lawton. It is north of Wichita Falls.

This is just round two of the playoffs. There aren't that many schools in 4A Division 2, so that means a large area of covered by this region.

It also means that somebody's gotta drive a long way to get their ass beat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 am 
I'm a tool.

you know what Anna stands for don't you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:

I don't, but since it's you asking, I can only assume it's incredibly racist. Let's hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
cap wrote:

I don't, but since it's you asking, I can only assume it's incredibly racist. Let's hear it.

I'll take a guess at "Ain't No Niggers Around".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:45 pm 
I'm a tool.

allowed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:D never disappoints :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:52 pm 

:shock:

What in THEE hell.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:09 pm 

Oh dear me. Doug Anderson is a play by play guy for Texas high school football, does a good job, and appears to enjoy himself. He also Tweets quite a bit.

He has pissed off a lot of people for Tweeting that Allen High School enjoys a big advantage because they refuse to break their mammoth high school into smaller schools like Plano and Frisco have done. He's right, though.

Good job, Doogie. Come on!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:58 pm 

The Cowboys 2016 schedule has been released, and there are no Saturday games this time. Immediately there is talk about the HS state championships coming back to the Death Star.

Houston stations are reporting it is a done deal, the UIL is saying nothing is official. Here is a quote that I stole from the Morning News. It boggles the mind:

"According to documents obtained by The News in February, NRG Stadium charged the UIL a $495,000 usage fee last year. AT&T Stadium charged $150,000 in 2014. Attendance was also down 94,509 over the three-day event."

I had heard generalizations like this before about how JJ doesn't charge that much for stadium use for HS games. I don't like the guy at all, but good on him for this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:50 pm 

I hate 7 on 7, but I thought this was an interesting tweet about Waxahachie qualifying for state:

Matt Diggs ‏@ProfessorDiggs 5m5 minutes ago

Waxahachie has done a great job. Say what you will about having a guy like Kitna as head coach, Hachie has become relevant again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:57 pm 

Plano East's Matt Diggs covers high school football for online consumption, as far as I know, he does it for free. He occasionally rubs people the wrong way, but I like his work because he tells it like it is.

He is sometimes critical of schools that host 7 on 7, saying they stack the pool with beatable teams to make it easier for the host team to get to state. One of his recent targets of this practice is Wylie ISD.

A couple of weeks ago, he was on the sidelines at the Wylie tournament (called an SQT) and one of their assistant coaches confronted him, telling him to stop filming and to leave. He was also banned from all Wylie ISD events. Diggs did as he was told, but a shitstorm soon resulted. On a coach's message board where Diggs regularly posts, a thread about it was removed because the site host was afraid it would damage some coaches' reputations and careers. As far as I know, most of the talk there was in favor of Diggs.

Keep on keepin' on, Professor Diggs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:38 pm 
I'm a tool.

high school football starts tonight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:03 am 

Thanks Potsmokin, I mean Cap. Seeing KIOT makes me smile.

I photographed a game tonight and am absolutely covered with mosquito bites. For the life of me, I do this every damn year. I'll get eaten up at a game, put my spray in my camera bag for the rest of the season and never need it again. Same as last season, and the season before that.

Oh, and my feet got wet. Please feel sorry for me.

But football is back, and I am happy with this development. 'Tis awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:38 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Good luck with the Zika.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:47 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
Good luck with the Zika.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:35 pm 

Pickens High School, South Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:53 pm 

I guess I could have posted this in the baseball thread. But I didn't. This is from the UIL:

In athletics, the Legislative Council approved a proposal to establish a pitch count limitation in baseball. High school pitchers will be limited to no more than 110 pitches per day, junior high pitchers will be limited to no more than 85 pitches per day. Days of rest between participation will be required based on the number of pitches thrown. If approved by the Commissioner of Education, this rule change will be effective immediately.

-----------------------------------

I don't have a big problem with this. I've read elsewhere that the home team is responsible for keeping up with this. Some are poo-pooing that part of it, but I don't have a problem with that, either.

A high school game is 7 innings, and a kid that gets to 100 pitches before that usually gets yanked anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:55 pm 

People point to events like this and say it shoots a hole in my opinion about too many teams making the playoffs:

Last night in the 4A playoffs, Hondo (1-9) beat Devine (9-1), 56-28.

In 3A, Kerens (3-7) beat Rivercrest (10-0), 38-28.

I once taught at a school that went 10-0 and then laid an egg in round one. I drove home thinking that it would have been better to just not make the damn playoffs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:09 pm 
I'm a tool.

Little Elm got whooped by Frisco Lonestar. Effing Frisco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:25 pm 

Sorry about that, Cap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Little Elm got whooped by Frisco Lonestar. Effing Frisco

Welcome to Trump's America.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:53 pm 

Hoob High School is done for the year, so I'm watching the TXA 21 game of the week. Doogie Anderson is doing the play-by-play. He's struggling.

It's Southlake Carroll vs. Desoto. SLC has a dumbass that had a good run right off the bat and then gave out the "feed me" routine that Zeke Elliott does. He's been shut down since that happened. Dumbass.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:30 pm 

Today's channel 21 game of the week was Highland Park vs. Denton Ryan. HP won and is headed to State. Their quarterback is John Stephen Jones. Yep, Jerruh's grandson.

It was a good game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:33 pm 

Years ago, I taught in Grayson County near Sherman. One school near me was Gunter, a place I've always respected. I always wanted to work there but things never fell into place.

Tonight they played Boling in the 3A D2 State Championship. I looked at Boling's skill, speed, and size and thought that Gunter was about to get drilled.

And then Boling was the recipient of a hide tanning of the highest order. More proof that I don't know jack about football. A smaller team went out and just kicked their ass.

I really like small school football, and I enjoyed this game.

Edited to add: attendance was 18,812. Last year at Houston, only the 6A title game had higher numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:47 pm 

Attendance for the state championship weekend went from 156,143 at Houston last year to 245,913 at the Death Star this year.

Suck it, Houston.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 pm 

It's playoff time. I noticed a former employer (2A) made the playoffs and are playing on a Thursday. Small schools don't do that, do they? Then I figured out why.

Too many farging teams made the playoffs and there aren't enough good places for them to play on Friday.

Numerous small 3A schools are hosting games because they have turf and decent stadiums. I see a tiny 2A (enrollment 151) hosting a game. I wonder what they charge for rent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trinity is playing Plano High at Pennington on Friday. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:33 pm 

HP vs. Lake Ridge was a good game. Jerruh's grandson played injured and it slowed them down but HP still won.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trinity vs Allen was great in the first half. The second half Allen dominated. There were 4 HORRIBLE calls that all went Allen's way at key points in the game. Not saying we would have won if they were called correctly, but it definitely would have been a different game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm 

That game was televised but I had to miss it because of reasons. I'm sorry I missed it.

There were a couple of six-man games just 12 miles down the road from me and I had to miss those as well. A friend went to see Strawn vs. Milford. Strawn won 102-71. He said Strawn had more players and wore Milford out. Milford was a passing team, Strawn ran the damn ball.

Also played near me was Tioga vs. Jonesboro. Jonesboro won 83-56.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 am 
I'm a tool.

Milford? I did computer work there years ago. K-12 in one building. It was strange seeing little kindergarteners in the same hallway with seniors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next