Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vacation Blogs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Matalo wrote:

So where was your wife at?

"Forgive him - he knows not what he does." :roll:

Please Sir! Mrs. Ich has had to fend off many a slick legging from the likes of Terd, Grubes and Rowdyhatin' Walt over the years. I am continually reminded that I definitely "married up!" :cool:

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I am off for the next week but I am not traveling anywhere. So... drinking!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:43 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
I am off for the next week but I am not traveling anywhere. So... drinking!

Sounds like the perfect week off to me. *Opens beer*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Ichabod wrote:
Matalo wrote:

So where was your wife at?

"Forgive him - he knows not what he does." :roll:

Please Sir! Mrs. Ich has had to fend off many a slick legging from the likes of Terd, Grubes and Rowdyhatin' Walt over the years. I am continually reminded that I definitely "married up!" :cool:

you definitely married up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm leaving work right now and I have the next 24 days off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:32 pm 
I'm a tool.

:fu:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:14 pm 

cap wrote:
:fu:

:D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:58 pm 

Excellent, Mister Whistle. I got a late start, but I'll join you eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I went on vacation to Colorado. I did not buy any pot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:

Why not buy pot? What else does that state got?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Why not buy pot? What else does that state got?

Mountains. And there are quite a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I vacationed in Colorado as well and didn't get any pot drug. My kid got sick as a dog and we spent a day in the ER at a hospital just slightly larger than my house working through what we thought might be appendicitis. That will put a hell of a damper on a vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:01 pm 

I vacationed in Charleston, SC and bought gobs of pot. Have you ever been to Charleston? It's a lovely city with a rich history that is heavily populated with over the top southern preppies. Anyhoo, do you know what I did that got my yankee all in a doodle? I forgot and left my phone locked in my truck in the airport parking lot. That's a weird feeling, not having a phone for a week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 pm 

Trained Goucho wrote:
I vacationed in Charleston, SC and bought gobs of pot. Have you ever been to Charleston? It's a lovely city with a rich history that is heavily populated with over the top southern preppies. Anyhoo, do you know what I did that got my yankee all in a doodle? I forgot and left my phone locked in my truck in the airport parking lot. That's a weird feeling, not having a phone for a week.

Going without a phone for a week sounds like the greatest fucking vacation in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We are driving up to New York this Summer to visit the wife's family. We will be upstate in the Rochester/Niagara area for the first part and have many fun activities planned. Do you like activities? But then we will be in the New York/Jersey area for several days. Have any of you taken kids to New York? We're not ready to get the kids on the subway yet so probably not going into Manhattan. Maybe we'll take a subway across to One World Trade and take them to the observation deck. Maybe not. We might do the Statue of Liberty since you can take a boat there from New Jersey. What did you do with your kids in the New York area?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We were planning on doing NYC with the kid in 2020 but Covid happened and we haven't worked it back into the agenda. Not sure how old your kids are, but I wouldn't be too scared of taking them on the subway as long as you stick to the high traffic areas. Just stay close and make sure they have a phone in case you do get separated (I had a friend learn that lesson the hard way.)

If you can find a way to swing it, I highly recommend getting to Brooklyn and walking into Lower Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge. The views are awesome and it's a relatively easy walk. It leads up to city hall which is about 3 blocks from the 9/11 Memorial. One World Trade has a nice view, but Top of the Rock is much better. Cheaper, better view of the city as a whole, outdoors, less crowded, and I think you can use your ticket to go back up at night. Empire State Building is total ass.

It's a matter of personal preference, but I wouldn't recommend going out to the Statue of Liberty. We did it on trip number 4 because it was one of those things we had never done and I could take it or leave it. It's a pretty big time commitment. You can get just as good a view of the city and the statue on the free Staten Island in much less time. And if you're already in the World Trade Center area, the ferry is just a few blocks south. You can walk the southern half of Central Park in a couple of hours. The High Line park is also fun and there's a lot more cool stuff on the north end now than on my last trip (the Vessel looks awesome but it's closed because people kept jumping off of the top floor). Times Square is the asshole of the world in my opinion but it's worth seeing at least once. Grand Central Terminal is also neat. You can eat yourself into a coma in some of the hole in the wall places in NYC. Everyone will tell you go to Katz's Deli since Carengie is no more, but I prefer a small neighborhood deli in Midtown. I know we have Shake Shack here now, but the original one in Madison Square Park is fun to check out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:05 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The kids are 7 and 4. We are not going into Manhattan proper at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:14 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That's a good call. The World Trade Center is in Manhattan, but that's a pretty safe area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Is the dude who thinks you should start with the Phantom Menace going to be there?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:04 pm 
I'm a tool.

Diello wrote:
We are driving up to New York this Summer to visit the wife's family. We will be upstate in the Rochester/Niagara area for the first part and have many fun activities planned. Do you like activities? But then we will be in the New York/Jersey area for several days. Have any of you taken kids to New York? We're not ready to get the kids on the subway yet so probably not going into Manhattan. Maybe we'll take a subway across to One World Trade and take them to the observation deck. Maybe not. We might do the Statue of Liberty since you can take a boat there from New Jersey. What did you do with your kids in the New York area?

you'll get an eye shot out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
That's a good call. The World Trade Center is in Manhattan, but that's a pretty safe area.

:babyarm: My subway fear is less danger than lost children. I imagine one running out as the door is closing. Thoughts like that keep me up at night.

There is a subway line directly from Hoboken to One World Trade that would be okay. I think there's a ferry as well during the week. My 7 year old really wants to see the Statue of Liberty or else I'd avoid it. But again, you can take a ferry from the Jersey side there.

When she was 1 and a half, I took her to Coney Island to have a hot dog and ride the Wonder Wheel. We saw a Brooklyn Cyclones game as well. Fantastic setting for a minor league game. This time the Rangers are in town playing the Mets while we're there. We're going to try to make it to one of the games, but the drive will be intense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Is the dude who thinks you should start with the Phantom Menace going to be there?

No, he lives here. I see him nearly weekly. He looks like a blonde Weird Al.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've never taken a PATH train, but that is probably much less sketchy than the actual NYC subway. Coney Island is fun. I've been twice. Much more fun on a Monday morning than on a 90 degree Sunday afternoon. I've been to games at Yankees Stadium and Citi Field. And a short season A-league Staten Island Yankees game. They didn't survive the minor league team purge. The stadium is right on the water next to the ferry landing overlooking the city with ships from Bayonne passing through. I saw a Yankees-Mets game at Citi and that was a fantastic experience. Obnoxious fans for both teams all around me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:37 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I took my sainted mother to a game at Yankee stadium in the bleachers like 15 years ago at the old stadium. The bleacher bums couldn't have been nicer. The marked us for tourists super quick and when they found out we were from Arlington, they spent the next hour literally educating us on the Rangers minor league prospects. Super knowledgeable. One of the most pleasant experiences I've had at a out-of-town game.

Worst fans I've ever experienced were at a White Sox game. 15 year old kids who were getting beers from one of their dads. The dad got kicked out for yelling cuss words too much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I took Tit Jr to NYC when was 11 or 12. Even at that age, taking a kid there is stressful AF. The subway isn't so bad as long as you do your research and know your route. The kids would probably enjoy Central Park, but seriously avoid Times Square. They'll wanna get their pics taken with Trash Elmo (and you'll want one with Captain America.) If you're going to the Mets game, the subway drops you off right at the park, and the trip there is pretty easy. Queens doesn't attract nearly as many hustlers and creeps as Manhattan does.

Also enjoy Rochester. I was born there, though I don't think they've commemorated it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I took Tit Jr to NYC when was 11 or 12. Even at that age, taking a kid there is stressful AF. The subway isn't so bad as long as you do your research and know your route. The kids would probably enjoy Central Park, but seriously avoid Times Square. They'll wanna get their pics taken with Trash Elmo (and you'll want one with Captain America.) If you're going to the Mets game, the subway drops you off right at the park, and the trip there is pretty easy. Queens doesn't attract nearly as many hustlers and creeps as Manhattan does.

Also enjoy Rochester. I was born there, though I don't think they've commemorated it yet.

There seems to be enough official parking lots around Citi Field to be able to drive. We will be in the northern part of New Jersey, so we won't even have to drive through Manhattan to get there.

I'll look for the official Tit Whistle Birthplace Commemoration Plaque in Rochester.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
I took my sainted mother to a game at Yankee stadium in the bleachers like 15 years ago at the old stadium. The bleacher bums couldn't have been nicer.

When I said the fans at Yankees-Mets at Citi were obnoxious, I meant that in a good way. The best was a twenty-something Mets fan behind me. He was wearing a blue t-shirt with a solid Mets orange Che Guevara head with "Viva Shea" below it. An Asian pitcher was starting that night for the Yankees and, every time he came up to bat, the Mets fan would scream in the thickest NY accent, "HIT EM! MAKE HIM RUN THE BASES!" He explained after the first at bat that he was thrown out after a base running error at some point that season. The Asian Yankees fan in front of me died laughing every time he did it.

Edit: Went back and looked and it was Chien Ming Wang. He got the win that night and that was his second to last appearance of the season before getting hurt. That night was also save #500 for Rivera.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:03 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
Diello wrote:
I took my sainted mother to a game at Yankee stadium in the bleachers like 15 years ago at the old stadium. The bleacher bums couldn't have been nicer.

When I said the fans at Yankees-Mets at Citi were obnoxious, I meant that in a good way. The best was a twenty-something Mets fan behind me. He was wearing a blue t-shirt with a solid Mets orange Che Guevara head with "Viva Shea" below it. An Asian pitcher was starting that night for the Yankees and, every time he came up to bat, the Mets fan would scream in the thickest NY accent, "HIT EM! MAKE HIM RUN THE BASES!" He explained after the first at bat that he was thrown out after a base running error at some point that season. The Asian Yankees fan in front of me died laughing every time he did it.

Edit: Went back and looked and it was Chien Ming Wang. He got the win that night and that was his second to last appearance of the season before getting hurt. That night was also save #500 for Rivera.

Wang was an awesome pitcher for a couple years until he hurt himself running the bases in an interleague game. He was never the same after that. That Mets fan was probably just trying to be a little less of an asshole with his reasoning, but he knew why he wanted Wang back on the base paths. :lol: