Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Sweet Greggo buys a house
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I hear all the cool kids are doing it, so I figured what the heck.

My goal is to be moving by May. I'm cleaning up my credit (hello, student loans and old medical bills) and should be ready to have serious discussions about borrowing in a month or so.

So at this point I'm looking for lenders. When I bought my first house the lending agent I used was recommended to me by a coworker. While the process was painless, I get the feeling that I probably didn't get the best deal I could have. I see these commercials for Lending Tree and it *sounds* like a good consumer tool, but who the hell knows about websites.

Has anyone else used a service like Lending Tree? Or did you just go the traditional route like I did the first time? Or do you have a good agent to recommend? Let's get me into a house, people!!!

Post subject: Re: Sweet Greggo buys a house
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I used Rodney Anderson. I was thinking about refinancing and was going to call Texas Lending. They do a good job and I don't have the time or patience to call/interview multiple companies to see if I can get a tenth of a percent better rate. Just get approved and if you really want to save money, make double payments and pay off your mortgage early.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 am 
I'm a tool.

I called Rodney ANderson, then I went to our credit union, then went to lending tree. I picked the best rate. 2.8%. The credit union won

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:16 am 
Site Admin

I used Guardian Mortgage. No origination fee. Rodney Anderson is a prick. The lowest interest rate is more important than the origination fee though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:17 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Go with the lowest rate. You're not selling, so it shouldn't be too hard of a process. Just put your info out there and you'll get a deluge of offers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Admin

:babyarm: Buying without selling is painless. If this was just an attempt to drive up post count, I commend you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
I used Rodney Anderson. I was thinking about refinancing and was going to call Texas Lending. They do a good job and I don't have the time or patience to call/interview multiple companies to see if I can get a tenth of a percent better rate. Just get approved and if you really want to save money, make double payments and pay off your mortgage early.

When I first thought of mortgage I thought of Texas Lending dot cooooooooooooooom. I suppose being the good strong P1 I am I should at least give them shot. (a shot??)

I agree on the over paying. I've had several people tell me to get a 15 or 20 year loan to shave the interest but unfortunately that also raises the payment. I think if I just get a traditional fixed 30 then I can overpay as I please and I'll have the lower payment if I need it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
I used Guardian Mortgage. No origination fee. Rodney Anderson is a prick. The lowest interest rate is more important than the origination fee though.

What didn't you like about Anderson.

and what is an origination fee? An agent fee?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mallard X wrote:
An origination fee is a payment associated with the establishment of an account with a bank, broker or other company providing services handling the processing associated with taking out a loan. Usually varies from 0.5% (half a point) to 2% (two points) of the loan amount.

The agents fee is like commission. It is the fee paid to the realtor for their efforts. Normally, is 6% of the sale price and is typically paid by the seller.

Okay, I wasn't sure if it was a new term for commision. I'm not so hip to the lingo these days.

So it's a fee to open an account at a bank (or whatever) so they can loan you money? wtf. Usually you get a toaster or a gun for signing up at a bank.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

What area are you looking at?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:42 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:

Don't worry I'm not moving to your neighborhood and driving down your mom's property value :D

I'm in Euless now and would like to stay but got DAMN they sho like them some inflated prices. When I type in my search options on the realtor websites the map has a huge blank area that encompasses Euless, Grapevine, Colleyville, Southlake and parts of Keller.

I like the mid cities area so looking west my options open up a bit. There's a small neighborhood in (technically) Fort Worth that I've got my eye on. There's actually a house that I would love to take a look at but like I said I'm at least a month out of talking to lenders. I hope it's still there when I'm ready but I doubt it will be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:49 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Mallard X wrote:
An origination fee is a payment associated with the establishment of an account with a bank, broker or other company providing services handling the processing associated with taking out a loan. Usually varies from 0.5% (half a point) to 2% (two points) of the loan amount.

The agents fee is like commission. It is the fee paid to the realtor for their efforts. Normally, is 6% of the sale price and is typically paid by the seller.

Okay, I wasn't sure if it was a new term for commision. I'm not so hip to the lingo these days.

So it's a fee to open an account at a bank (or whatever) so they can loan you money? wtf. Usually you get a toaster or a gun for signing up at a bank.

And you can usually talk the realtor down to 4%. Tell them to hit the bricks if they don't like it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mallard X wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:

Don't worry I'm not moving to your neighborhood and driving down your mom's property value :D

I'm in Euless now and would like to stay but got DAMN they sho like them some inflated prices. When I type in my search options on the realtor websites the map has a huge blank area that encompasses Euless, Grapevine, Colleyville, Southlake and parts of Keller.

I like the mid cities area so looking west my options open up a bit. There's a small neighborhood in (technically) Fort Worth that I've got my eye on. There's actually a house that I would love to take a look at but like I said I'm at least a month out of talking to lenders. I hope it's still there when I'm ready but I doubt it will be.

As I'm sure you are aware, the quality of school districts is vitally important. If you are looking a whole lot house (and land) for a reasonable price, you might consider Haslet. Rhome, as well...but that might create quite a commute for you, depending on where you work.

Both feed into the Northwest ISD.

I like the west side and would love to be so close to dark skies. I work on the north east corner of DFW and the wifey is in Grapevine. She could probably find something new if we relocated but that commute would whip every inch of my ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18 pm 
I'm a tool.

move to frisco

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:

A whole bunch of people bought way more house than they could afford with crappy sub prime mortgages in the box bordered by Denton Hwy., 114, I-35, and 820 over the last decade. That's resulted in a shit ton of houses on the market in that area with deals to be had. I had some friends that upgraded out of that area into a custom built home and they had a hell of a time getting what they wanted for their house because of the cheap inventory. They delayed selling for a year because the first realtor they approached told them they would be lucky to get $10k less than what they owed. They ended up getting out of it ahead, but not by much.

When we were house shopping 10 years ago, I found that the prices in HEB were a lot higher than the suburbs to the west (North Richland Hills, Keller, north Fort Worth, but the homes tended to be older and of much higher quality. My best advice is to use a realtor (the buyer is paying for it) and be patient. We looked at nearly 100 houses over 6 weeks and I didn't see one that was even worthy of an offer until about number 75.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 am 

I would've gotten pretty frazzled around showing #8. holy shit, that realtor must've hated the bigboys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:

A whole bunch of people bought way more house than they could afford with crappy sub prime mortgages in the box bordered by Denton Hwy., 114, I-35, and 820 over the last decade. That's resulted in a shit ton of houses on the market in that area with deals to be had. I had some friends that upgraded out of that area into a custom built home and they had a hell of a time getting what they wanted for their house because of the cheap inventory. They delayed selling for a year because the first realtor they approached told them they would be lucky to get $10k less than what they owed. They ended up getting out of it ahead, but not by much.

When we were house shopping 10 years ago, I found that the prices in HEB were a lot higher than the suburbs to the west (North Richland Hills, Keller, north Fort Worth, but the homes tended to be older and of much higher quality. My best advice is to use a realtor (the buyer is paying for it) and be patient. We looked at nearly 100 houses over 6 weeks and I didn't see one that was even worthy of an offer until about number 75.

I've looked in that area on the realtor sites and you're right. You can just about get twice the house for the same money in Euless. I still haven't ruled it out but it would take a lot to pull me away from the Mid Cities area. Much like my political views, I like to stay in the middle. ;) Plus I'd pretty much have to give up driving my truck and get a little 4 cylinder. And that commute... man, what a whip. My drive right now takes <20 minutes, rain or shine. I never have to deal with traffic except at a couple of stop lights. I go through the airport and don't even have to get on a highway. It's hella sweet and if you have the means I highly recommend it.

Each house has it's own realtor, right? On Zillow or Trulia the listings will have a realtor to contact for more info. I assume that's who you have to deal with. I can't remember exactly what I did when I bought my first house in 97. Somehow I ended up at a Remax office. I can't remember if they told me about the house or if I got their number off of the sign.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 am 

Never use the realtor off the sign.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Admin

We looked at about 30 in 2 days. My wife had really got stuck on new construction homes during the 30 in 2 days fun. It pissed me off because she stopped looking at what we were originally looking for in a house and decided she would rather make it work with a new house that hadn't been lived in, at the expense of my commute. This pissed me off at first, but we eventually found a builder who was building most of what we wanted in an area that we wanted. It helped that we knew the realtor personally and we knew he was more interested in us being happy than lining his own pockets.

When we bought the first time, we only looked at 10 or so in 1 day and chose from that 10. Not that we weren't happy with it - we were - but I felt like we were rushed a little.

I enjoy the homebuying experience. The homeselling experience, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:

Is this like "don't ever go through the drive thru"? Now I'm scared.

Last edited by Sweet Greggo on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

Is like "don't ever go through the drive thru"? Now I'm scared.

That realtor is working for the seller. Get your own realtor unless you plan on negotiating yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
I would've gotten pretty frazzled around showing #8. holy shit, that realtor must've hated the bigboys.

She was pretty damn patient and actually pushed us to find what we wanted and not settle. She pushed us to walk away from 2 houses we really liked because 1 was a bad deal (not the layout we wanted and too small) and 1 was overpriced (a home equity loan kept them from taking less than the asking price which was way too high). Luckily, we ended up with a great layout and 4 bedrooms for less than the first 2 houses we wanted to make an offer on. My only regret was that we got the shaft on insisting on a few cosmetic upgrades because there was a lot of safety items that the inspector wouldn't sign off on - no GFI circuits in the kitchen, no overflow on the water heater, no ground on the main electrical panel, a bad thermostat on the oven, and the dishwasher was plumbed wrong. That stuck us with original linoleum in the kitchen and these big ass built in place book shelves in the living room that we would have insisted they remove if we had any leverage.

If you have your heart set on the mid-cities, look at the 76021 area code. That's Bedford, north of 183. There's a huge variety of prices as far as houses go and they're all from about 1970 to the mid-90s.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

That realtor is working for the seller. Get your own realtor unless you plan on negotiating yourself.

Outside of throwing names at a dart board, what's the best way to choose one? I know literally no one in the house selling biz.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

Outside of throwing names at a dart board, what's the best way to choose one? I know literally no one in the house selling biz.

You want a referral from someone. Otherwise, you'll call the Remax or whoever and you'll get whoever answers the phone. Good realtors have a built up their client base and don't have to answer the friggin' phones. I mean, they did when they started out, but they don't anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mallard X wrote:

Based on where you would prefer to live, have you considered NRH? It's fairly centralized and has nicer neighborhoods and a better school district than HEB...imho.

I haven't ruled anything out, tbh. This is the last house I plan to buy so I am exploring all options.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

She was pretty damn patient and actually pushed us to find what we wanted and not settle. She pushed us to walk away from 2 houses we really liked because 1 was a bad deal (not the layout we wanted and too small) and 1 was overpriced (a home equity loan kept them from taking less than the asking price which was way too high). Luckily, we ended up with a great layout and 4 bedrooms for less than the first 2 houses we wanted to make an offer on. My only regret was that we got the shaft on insisting on a few cosmetic upgrades because there was a lot of safety items that the inspector wouldn't sign off on - no GFI circuits in the kitchen, no overflow on the water heater, no ground on the main electrical panel, a bad thermostat on the oven, and the dishwasher was plumbed wrong. That stuck us with original linoleum in the kitchen and these big ass built in place book shelves in the living room that we would have insisted they remove if we had any leverage.

If you have your heart set on the mid-cities, look at the 76021 area code. That's Bedford, north of 183. There's a huge variety of prices as far as houses go and they're all from about 1970 to the mid-90s.

The wifey and I like that area. There aren't a lot of 2 story houses that are available with my parameters though.

EDIT: Is parameters the right word here? Conditions. Yeah.

Last edited by Sweet Greggo on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

You want a referral from someone. Otherwise, you'll call the Remax or whoever and you'll get whoever answers the phone. Good realtors have a built up their client base and don't have to answer the friggin' phones. I mean, they did when they started out, but they don't anymore.

So...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mallard X wrote:
Based on where you would prefer to live, have you considered NRH? It's fairly centralized and has nicer neighborhoods and a better school district than HEB...imho.

:babyarm: There are good areas in HEB, but you're less likely to go wrong in NRH.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

So...

when we bought our house in FW we used a guy named Russell Wilson. I think he's with Keller Williams in ag town. Older guy. Nice and not pushy or sleazy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:39 am 
I'm a tool.

Trained Goucho wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

So...

when we bought our house in FW we used a guy named Russell Wilson. I think he's with Keller Williams in ag town. Older guy. Nice and not pushy or sleazy.

did he tuck the ball and run for it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

So...

The woman we had about 8 years ago was more about selling our house than buying the new one. I think anyone can help you buy a new one, but you want someone who knows whether you might get screwed on a place. I can refer you to this lady, gam, but she mostly works Dallas and might not know your area as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

So...

The woman we had about 8 years ago was more about selling our house than buying the new one. I think anyone can help you buy a new one, but you want someone who knows whether you might get screwed on a place. I can refer you to this lady, gam, but she mostly works Dallas and might not know your area as well.

Ya wouldn't hurt to ask her a few questions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

So...

PM = sent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:20 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Trained Goucho wrote:

So...

PM = sent

That poke in your butt was me... luv u long time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:30 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mallard X wrote:
bigboy wrote:

You're right. I forgot about that specific area. My problem is that when I think of the HEB area, I mistakenly associate it with Euless, specifically the area around the Dr. Pepper Stars Center. Looks like little Juarez there.

Easy holmes. :terd:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
I'm a tool.

I'm sure there are nice neighborhoods in Euless. Never been to one, but i'm guessing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

There are indeed nice areas in Euless. Now Irving... not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

This is a family friend. We got our house through him.

I would also suggest using remax.com and going through their locator map, it has a lot of good features. You can see exactly where houses in your parameter are exactly located. Make a list of addresses and put them in the GPS then take the family for a drive to check the neighborhoods and compare the pictures to the actual thing. Narrow down your list from that then give the list of potentials to your realtor. That way you're not touring dozens of houses you wouldn't take anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:

I would also suggest using remax.com and going through their locator map, it has a lot of good features. You can see exactly where houses in your parameter are exactly located. Make a list of addresses and put them in the GPS then take the family for a drive to check the neighborhoods and compare the pictures to the actual thing. Narrow down your list from that then give the list of potentials to your realtor. That way you're not touring dozens of houses you wouldn't take anyway.

:babyarm: We pretty much picked all the houses we wanted to look at. Our realtor just drove us around and unlocked the doors for us. I think that was her first time out in Wylie and she thought she was about 10 feet from Arkansas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 pm 

Diello wrote:

I don't understand why he's poo pooing on your thread with his superman agenda, Craig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:18 pm 

Please call my referral with confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:

:soppy:

I like Superman too, little buddy, but I don't think he's gonna help me find a house ;)

I like Remax.com cause as far as I know it's the only site that lets you enter how many stories you want.

:babyarm: We do the cruising thing and check out potential neighborhoods and schools. Zillow, Trulia, Remax et all have phone apps that we use to navigate around. I've even gone so far as to print out an entire school district and drive it street by street looking for unlisted homes. I'm gonna drive some poor realtor nuts :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next