Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Pet Talk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:cry: Wow Hoob! So sorry.

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:32 pm 

Couldn't get the damned hole dug yesterday because I was so depressed. Built the coffin, started digging, couldn't make the coffin fit in the hole before dark. Lots of tree roots to deal with and that slowed things down. The Hoobstress showed up and brought food, just like when a person dies.

Finished it today. Sweet puppydog is buried with a couple of my landlords' dogs. Daisies are on the grave, thanks to the Hoobstress. Cried like a baby.

The ex offered to meet me for a beer on Friday night after this all happened. It was a nice gesture by the old gal.

I am too sensitive to have any more doggies.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:(

Good puppy dogs are only around for part of our lives, but we're around for ALL of theirs. I'm sure after she got hurt she found some comfort that her lifelong best friend was there for her.

Last edited by Sweet Greggo on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Wtf, gam. Damn it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:01 pm 

Putting "all" in caps was an impactful touch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:01 pm 

Very moving.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:05 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Having never been around for any of my pets's births, I'm calling bullshit on that ALL thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
:(

Good puppy dogs are only around for part of our lives, but we're around for ALL of theirs. I'm sure after she got hurt she found some comfort that her lifelong best friend was there for her.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm 

It was dark on yesterday evening's walk around 7 so I didn't see this ninja cat crouched in a yard. It was to my right. The two terriers walk on a split leash I hold in my right hand for a combined eight paw drive with 60lbs of torque. The catahoula is on a retractable leash I hold with my left hand. She's good for another 60lbs and standard 4 paw drive. They can pull with surprising force so all have prong collars as they are unrefined and will act a fool, unlike Hank (rip, pal) who I never had to leash. Anyhoo, the two terriers lose their shit at the sight of the cat which prompts the catahoula to do the same. I see the cat and veered towards the left side of the road to restore order. That cat, obviously full of total disdain, wasn't fronting any games and charged directly at the terriers and all hell broke loose. What a brouhaha, I tell ya. They all got a piece of el gato, heart of a lion, and as I'm dragging them their dragging that feline fucker down the street. I like cats and also I don't want to be a Nextdoor headline so I start kicking the catahoula so she'll let go. The cat broke free and ran up a tree so I guess it's ok. The terriers sustained some scratching. It was pretty bad ass but I guess you had to be there. Much respect for that cat. :pussy:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:14 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

*they're

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:16 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have a catahoula, too. She's only 45 pounds. She's got quite an underbite so I named her Carl. She's pretty needy, to the point of being annoying. Is your catahoula needy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:07 pm 

more like cataWHO CARES?!?! Am I right, guys?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have a cathoulikestolickherass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:20 pm 

A new Hollywood Feed was built nearby and I recently switched the brand of food I feed to my bitches. They are on Fromm now, fyi. There have been no complaints so far. Heck, they are already on their 9th bag. It really flies by I tell ya. Do you know what, though? The 12th bag is free. Sometimes I change flavors so they don't get burned out eating the same stuff all the time. I would want different flavors if I were a dog. Would you want different flavors if you were a dog? The current flavor they are on is Pork and Applesauce. I always think of ol' Pete Brady when I feed them this flavor. Pork chops, and uh, applesauce, isn't that swell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 pm 

I have never heard of Hollywood Feed. Looked up their website and they have a delivery dog sitting in the car, looking out the window. Pretty cool. They have stores all over DFW, too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:07 pm 

That catahoula leopard dog of mine, if I was ranking all the dogs I have owned, would be at the bottom. She's pretty and cool looking but she's nuts. She's also a G-Face killa, which can be kind of cool when you see things turn up dead like the possum from a year ago or the occasional squirrel, but upsetting when it's cute bunnies and stuff. Lucy, that's what her name was when we got her, will spend hours in the backyard alone and burrow down in the pine straw to conceal herself from her would be prey. She ran up with a bunny in her mouth a spring or two ago. It made the oddest squeak toy cries just before she released it in front of me to witness it take its last gasping breaths. It is really weird witnessing the life leave something's eyes. I don't like it either. Do you pronounce 'either' like Eye-ther or EE-ther? Eye-ther would be punnier in this instance I guess.

Anyhoo, last Thursday around 9 PM she was making all kinds of shrill barks with that high pitched maniac bark of hers. It is super annoying. It goes up an octave or two when her dog dopamine levels kick in from the thrill of cornering quarry, I've come to learn. So I grabbed a flashlight and headed out and found her going at it with a neighborhood cat. My heart sank. I like cats. It was awful. I kicked her, pulled at her, clubbed her over the head with a flashlight, but it was all in vain. The cat didn't stand a chance. I was hugging her body as an extension of her and felt her last lunge when she clamped down long and hard. It wasn't a fully grown cat but no kitten either. Come to think of it as i just typed it, I'm an ee-ther pronounciator of either. I finally got her off and inside and rushed back to offer aid. Poor little guy still had a few breaths in him and for a minute I had hope until he shit himself and gave up the ghost. Watching him die bummed me out. This was someone's pet.

What would you do if confronted with this situation? Just make it disappear and let the owners always wonder? That seemed heartless. I would want to know. I wrestled with with a few scenarios as I scooped its still warm and flexible body onto a shovel. I was mad at Lucy and sad for el gato the entire time I spent walking it down the street to just the right place before staging it to appear as a tragic case of hit by car. The next morning I went out to check on it before leaving for work. It was still dead, maybe even deader, as a motorist from overnight really had nailed it and the impact had repositioned it to opposite side of the road. Through the day i noticed the cat was becoming quite the talk of Nextdoor posts. Up to 25 commenters by day's end. A walker had even taken a picture of the dead cat and included it with a post for id'ing purposes. What a bunch of silly busybodies. Some suspected owners, just a street over, said the carcass looked just like their beloved Jeffrey who hadn't been seen all day. Others lamented about a dead animal in the street. It was kind of sorry of me and I didn't want someone else to have to deal with the yuckiness. When I got home I lined a Homer Depot bucket with a trash bag and took Jeffrey to a wooded area away from the neighborhood. Those depot buckets are so handy! I looked for his remains the next day when i was walking the dogs and hardly anything was left. Guess the vultures ate him up. May Jeffrey rest in peace. He was probably a good cat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I don't know that I would have done any different than what you did. I probably would not have done as much as you did to try to save the cat. Survival of the fittest and whatnot.

We got a rescue beagle mix during the COVID mess last spring. She was the best damn dog in the world. About 2 years old, house trained, calm, never barked, just chilled around the house a lot. Unfortunately much of that was due to her being heartworm positive when we adopted her. The rescue offered to let us out of it and also offered to pay for treatment. To them, treatment meant prevention pills and that didn't do the trick. She got sick in early March and had a mass that started getting bigger. A late night trip to the vet showed an aggressive tumor and major heart and lung damage from the heartworms, like bad enough it showed up on x-rays. The vet painted a pretty grim picture and pointed out that she was miserable. We made the tough call and it was the worst. My kid is still not over it. Hell, I'm not over it.

TG's story about the dog hiding from its prey reminded me of her. She wasn't real active, but she would stay out in the backyard for hours stalking something. Early on it was the neighbor's cat until she scared it away. Later it was the rabbits that hang out back there. She caught and killed moles twice (she loved digging for them) and brought them up to the porch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

These stories remind me of one Mrs Tit told me a few years ago. She had a boss lady who had two dogs. One was big and the other small. I'm not sure of the brands. One day, the boss lady got home from work, and let the dogs out on the back patio with her while she had a smoke. Her 3-year-old kid with out there with her and she was talking to/minding the kid when this godawful screaming came from the direction of the dogs. When she looked over, the big one had a big, dumb dog grin on its face, and the small one was ripped all to fuck, bleeding everywhere, and most definitely dead. No idea what made the big dog lose its shit. They apparently always got along fine. She got the kid back in the house and away from that furry, fuzzy psycho. She called her husband and they agreed to gas that fucker. Within an hour, he was at the vet and headed toward his eternal slumber.

Cats catch shit for being assholes, but dogs are assholes too. They're just better at hiding it.

Oh, and I'm definitely an EE-ther guy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:56 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have cats. I have always had cats. I'm what you would call a cat person. Today, I had to put down a cat. It fuckin' sucked and I'm not taking it well.

Our cat Cookie (named before Gam named his dog that) was almost 11 years old. Earlier this year she was diagnosed with hyperthyroid, which is common in older cats. We didn't do anything about it at first but a couple months later, circa July, she stopped eating and started losing weight. I can pinpoint it around the time Titette asked us to keep their dog, Nirvana, while she and her girlfriend went to Nashville for a trip. That's not a problem. We have a dog now too (named Mona) and Mona and Nirvana like to frolic and do dog things in the backyard. Nirvana is a 1-2 year old German Shepherd mix, which means she's big and she's got big dog energy. She didn't have much experience with cats, and when she saw one, she'd run for it and the cats would naturally freak the fuck out. I never thought the dog meant any harm and she never caught them, but if she ever did, she would've just roughhoused with them. Mona is a Spaniel mix and about cat sized and Nirvana often tramples her ass when they run around together, but Mona fights back because she's made of scrap iron. Nirvana just doesn't know how to reign it in with smaller animals. She's kinda dumb but doesn't mean any harm.

Anyhoo, while Nirvana was staying at the house, we sequestered the cats into an upstairs area with sole access to a few rooms with plenty of places to sleep and hang out. A food and water station was created and we gave them a separate place to shit. My work area is in this upstairs section so they also got plenty of social time. But after hours, after I'd go downstairs for the evening, they'd sometimes jump the barrier and explore. One night Cookie came down and was heading for her normal feeding area in the kitchen, and Nirvana saw her and chased her and scared the bejeebers out of her. Seriously, there was a bejeeber trail all the way up the stairs. Cookie made it to safety but I think a switch flipped in her brain.

We didn't notice until a couple weeks later but she started losing weight and realized we never saw her eating the food we put out for her and the others. A cat who won't eat won't live long but add the hyperthyroid and trouble is a-brewing. We got some meds for her thyroid and started feeding her wet food, but she'd eat some and leave a lot, sometimes even turning her nose up to it completely. Blood work was done at the vet and the meds were working, but she wasn't eating enough to put meat back on her bones. She would lick the gravy from the wet food and leave the chunkier bits, not getting enough nutrients. She was heading downhill. Weight loss is first. Organ failure is next.

Monday was a good day, but Tuesday she didn't eat in the morning. I checked on her after work and she was a mess. Awkward hunched posture and dilated eyes. Hypertension may have caused vision problems. She wouldn't eat, and while she took an interest in a bowl of water, she stuck a paw in it but wouldn't drink. She was anti-social and finding quiet places to hide as animals do when their time is running out.

I texted the kids and they came home last night to say their goodbyes. We've had to put down animals before but everyone was much more emotional with Cookie. Everyone loved her. Even people who hate cats loved her. I have other cats that you'd hate if you're a cat hater, but Cookie would win you over. She was a beautiful shorthair with calico fur, really pretty and she kept herself well-groomed. For a few years, some extra heft kept her from getting her asshole clean as a whistle, but she tried. She was outgoing and would talk back to you when you spoke to her. She had lots or personality and she loved to cuddle. And she was smart enough to grab things with her paws. She was an opposable thumb away from using tools and fucking shit up.

She survived the night last night. I was hoping she'd go on her own, but she didn't. I made a late morning appointment with the vet. The kids were there to attend. As I mentioned, we've put other animals down before, and I've always been the one who had to keep focused while everyone else could emote. I can't count how many times I got verklempt today. It's been hitting me hard. Maybe it's guilt from feeling like I could've done more for her. Maybe it's because she was only 10. (I had a cat who lived to 19 once.) Whatever it is, I truly loved that cat. She was my friend and I'm gonna miss her. Shit, there I go again all verklempt. We're having a party at the house this Saturday. Gonna pour one out for her. You're all invited.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:56 pm 

I am so sorry, Tit. That's a tough one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:35 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

10 is too young for a cat. Sorry for your loss, buddy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

I like cats, but I’ve never owned one. My dad hated them and my mom was allergic to them. My wife is also allergic. It’s always been weird to me that they just walk around the neighborhood.

Anyway, condolences buddy. Stay hard Cookie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:24 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Thanks every one of ya for your kind words.

Wednesday was a tough day and I had to get all that out of me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5