Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Things I learned about cars
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

There's a engine temperature light and a transmission temperature light. Had never heard of the latter. Assumed the warning light with the thermometer on it that kept coming on, despite the temp gauge never rising, meant I had something wrong in the coolant system. $200 later, still had the problem. Then found out that there is a transmission temp warning. More money down, let's hope we're good.

Post subject: Re: Things I learned about cars
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Transmission problem? The bidding starts at $2500.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm 

Those accordion foil sun blockers are very unforgiving if you don't remember how to fold them just so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You gotta go with the round ones with the wire that can bend in a weird way that makes them smaller when not in use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 am 

TerdFerguson wrote:
You gotta go with the round ones with the wire that can bend in a weird way that makes them smaller when not in use.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am 
I'm a tool.

Ford>Chevy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That's taste testing dogshit right there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 am 

Women are probably responsible for 80% of all parking lot accrued door dings as they just don't seem to give a damn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:18 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mrs Tit put a nice racing stripe down the driver's door on my car when she pulled into the garage too close to the wall and scraped the door against the handlebar of Tit Jr's bike. She gave more than a damn and wouldn't shut up about it for some time. I'm the one who didn't care so much.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:01 am 

Diello wrote:
There's a engine temperature light and a transmission temperature light. Had never heard of the latter. Assumed the warning light with the thermometer on it that kept coming on, despite the temp gauge never rising, meant I had something wrong in the coolant system. $200 later, still had the problem. Then found out that there is a transmission temp warning. More money down, let's hope we're good.

Have you ever seen this light?

Did you know some fancy cars have lights that come on when your tires need air? Yes, my car has this light. It came on this morning. Please refer to pic above. It is known as a "TPMS" light. TPMS is an acronym. It stands for "tire pressure monitoring system". Whenever I have a dashboard light come on it becomes all I can think about while I am driving. The light dominates my thoughts i.e.: "do I have a nail in my tire?" I wonder, "is it just one tire, or maybe more?" I hope it's just one. Sometimes changes in temps cause this to happen. I stopped at a 7-Eleven and parked next to their air station. Please note, the inside panel of your door has a sticker that will tell you what p.s.i. (yes, this is an acronym too which means "pounds per square inch" your tires should be filled to; mine was 35. The front left one was at 29. A visual inspection revealed no punctures. It is a good idea to keep 4 solid quarters in your ashtray for these situations. I had no change in mine so I went inside and purchased the following items: a cup of coffee, some chewing gum, some chocolate covered goji berries from Brookside ( I almost went with acai), and a case of ozarka. I selected "cash back" ($5) on the credit card pad and then asked the clerk for $2 in change for the air machine. Once I put air in my tire and started driving the light went off. Whew. Is there a time when you were confronted with a challenging car problem and how were you able to resolve it yourself?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 am 
I'm a tool.

tighten you gas cap

or you need a complete engine rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Diello wrote:

Have you ever seen this light?

Did you know some fancy cars have lights that come on when your tires need air? Yes, my car has this light. It came on this morning. Please refer to pic above. It is known as a "TPMS" light. TPMS is an acronym. It stands for "tire pressure monitoring system". Whenever I have a dashboard light come on it becomes all I can think about while I am driving. The light dominates my thoughts i.e.: "do I have a nail in my tire?" I wonder, "is it just one tire, or maybe more?" I hope it's just one. Sometimes changes in temps cause this to happen. I stopped at a 7-Eleven and parked next to their air station. Please note, the inside panel of your door has a sticker that will tell you what p.s.i. (yes, this is an acronym too which means "pounds per square inch" your tires should be filled to; mine was 35. The front left one was at 29. A visual inspection revealed no punctures. It is a good idea to keep 4 solid quarters in your ashtray for these situations. I had no change in mine so I went inside and purchased the following items: a cup of coffee, some chewing gum, some chocolate covered goji berries from Brookside ( I almost went with acai), and a case of ozarka. I selected "cash back" ($5) on the credit card pad and then asked the clerk for $2 in change for the air machine. Once I put air in my tire and started driving the light went off. Whew. Is there a time when you were confronted with a challenging car problem and how were you able to resolve it yourself?

Most stores will turn on the air machine if you ask them nicely. Especially since you bought stuff from them.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 pm 

Motherfucker.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

This may be super gay, but any time that tire pressure light comes on in Mrs. bigboy's car, I just run it up to Discount Tire and let the guy at the free air check station do the work.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's not super gay. I do the same thing. Of course I buy all of our tires from them.

Unless the mere act of taking it up there and not doing it yourself is gay then scratch my back money man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:36 am 

Did you know they don't issue state inspection stickers anymore? All that bs is linked to the registration sticker now. Also, if both of your stickers expire in the same month you have to get the inspection done first before they will renew your registration. :babyarm:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Yup we are a one sticker state now. I blame Perry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:21 pm 
I'm a tool.

efficiency

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 pm 

I drive a Tundra which is a model of a pick-up styled truck that is made by Toyota. Were you aware that these vehicles have not 1 but 2 catalytic converters? I found this out yesterday after both of them were removed by thieves in broad daylight.

How did this happen? You might be wondering. Well, I've been trying to become more squared away lately. Check that. My wife is trying to become more squared away lately and making me join her. Anywho, our latest foray was having a will in place. Yesterday afternoon I met her at a law office to wrap this up. This particular law office is right off the 75N frontage road between Meadow and Royal. I arrived around 4 and left around 4:45. When I started the truck to leave it made the loudest NASCAR engine sound ever and startled the mess out of me. It did not register right away, and I started to think it was a drag racer on the freeway until I revved the engine (yes, it is a V8 :bigtime:) a little and immediately realized I'd been ripped off. It was so stinking loud but also pretty darn cool sounding. I immediately thought "catalytic converter" as I've been noticing this trend being reported a lot in the news for the past couple of years. Still weird tho. I got out and observed a DeWalt metal cutting recip blade on the ground and then inspected underneath the truck. Wow. Pretty brazen stuff.

The truck was towed to a Toyota dealer. The service girl called me today. There are 70 trucks ahead of mine with stolen catalytic converters and no inventory. No timetable when I will get it back. :mad: Thieves suck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

I’m shocked this thread was started 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I do a lot of work with off-duty police officers and 2 of them are detectives whose main focus is catalytic converter thefts. The stories that they tell are incredible. In Texas, the laws are lax enough that they don't deter anyone from stealing them and they don't scare away the few people that can fence them. The cars they've mentioned that targeted are the Prius, the Toyota Tundra, and Transit vans. Apparently a lot of Transit vans have catalytic converters that are bolted in and can be removed with an impact driver in a minute or so.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Maybe 8-9 years ago we had a rash of catalytic converter thefts from the parking lot at work. All Toyotas. It's well known that they're easy to steal from certain models. You'd think by now they'd develop a better way to deter thieves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:48 am 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:
Maybe 8-9 years ago we had a rash of catalytic converter thefts from the parking lot at work. All Toyotas. It's well known that they're easy to steal from certain models. You'd think by now they'd develop a better way to deter thieves.

:gun2:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:23 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The thief probably works for a repair shop. Toyota made 70 trucks but only 50 catalytic converters.