Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurants I ate at this weekend
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Woodshed - I don't know things about chefs but I guess Tim Love is one. I've eaten at the Love Shack in the Stockyards and wasn't overly impressed with their burger, despite the presence of a quail egg. The Woodshed is a BBQ place. They have ribs, but they also have weirdo BBQ like redfish or somesuch. I had pork ribs that were very good. For a trendy-hipster friendly place the prices were decent. $15 for a pound of ribs and a baked potato. Sandwiches and burgers with chips were $10-$12. Sister-in-law had some sort of Korean BBQ that was very good, similar to Mongolian beef. There was also the Woodshed Burger which consisted of a burger patty, chopped beef, and elk venison sausage all together. (the type of sausage changes on a daily basis amongst other things) They recommended a whitefish dip that I thought sucked but everyone else liked it. It was like mushy vagina. The garlic aioli potatoes were good.

The seating is all outdoors. It is literally on the Trinity river by the Fort Worth zoo. You sit at picnic tables. It toes the line of hipster irony, but doesn't go too far over. It helps that the food is actually good. Food came very quick but our waiter was not the greatest. Parking sucks but valet is only $5. Other bullet points: People bring their dogs. The condo-douche who pays $2500 for a 600 sq. ft. place and has a chocolate lab puppy is a big player. So is the big bushy hipster beard. And the TCU frat boy in his tri-delt party t-shirt. There was live music that was not over-bearing at all. No problems conversing.

Oh, if sweet Cle made it this far, they have cornhole. Not kidding. Bean bags and boards. Really.

I would go back.

Post subject: Re: Restaurants I ate at this weekend
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You couldn't post this in the thread "things I'm currently eating"?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm not currently eating this.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:52 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Good point.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

IHOP

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:24 pm 

Sounds like a kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
Parking sucks but valet is only $5.

I tried to go with a group from work right after it opened and they all went apeshit when they saw the valet parking stand. "OMGTHATMEANSITSREALLYEXPENSIVEWEHAVETOGOSOMEWHERETHATSJUSTASEXPENSIVEBUTDOESNTHAVEVALETPARKING!!!!!"

:tired:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:07 pm 

Inside Dave's Stove Shop just off I20 on the eastern edge of Weatherford is a cafe that serves Man vs. Food kinda sammiches. The store itself a shack that is a mix of an antique place/stove shop/fire pits/grills/ windmills and garden stuff. We stumbled on it by accident last Sat. on our way for some hiking at Mineral Wells state park. The cafe doesn't look like much at first, kinda country decored up, but when you see the fresh baked goods and breads you'll be all like gawt dayem. I got a turkey on fresh jalepeno sourdough. I was expecting deli type meat but it was fresh carved turkey meat, all breast--none of that peasant dark stuff either. Also present were tomatoes, fresh sliced jalepeno, avacado, lettuce, and a pickle wedge. Could barely get my mouf on that thing. It's a pound your fist on the table and point at what you're eating after every bite experience. You'll throw rocks at Sprinkles after eating one of their cupcakes too. These bitches are like twice as tall and perfect. I had a chocolate one infused w/peanut butter. I wanted the banana one that had yellow icing and topped w/a chocolate dipped strawberry but some d-wad local up front cleaned out almost all the pies and cupcakes. The service is a bit on the countrified cocky side. Don't expect to get overly 'sugared' to death by some plump dixie bell of the ball at this place as the 2 grandmas running this counter look to be on the retired lot lizard spectrum of charm and looks, but they make damn fine sammiches. Wish i was there now.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That's the first time anyone has ever wished he was in Weatherford.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:39 pm 

They have a Belk now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:53 pm 

oops

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:32 am 

Trained Goucho wrote:

Dude was probably mad because he had to split their checks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 am 

True Food Kitchen good luck getting seated right away in this Preston Center hotspot--it's right across from Sprinkles and, apparently, all the rage. We tried this place on a Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks ago but the wait was for over an hour so we ended up at a place in North Park mall, Seasons 52. Anyhoo, we went back to True Food at the odd hour of 3:40 PM this past Saturday and the wait was 30 mins for a table or immediate service if you found space at the awkward communal table or bar. I followed my wife to a seat at the end of the communal table which ran the length of the bar and had bar stool type seats. I sat facing the restaurant which was an open and airy space that had a warm feel. Dallas diners put forth much more effort to be attractive than the FW crowd. I was glad I didn't wear those Adidas wind pants. Fuck a communal table, btw. To my right was a family of 5. The couple looked to be early 40's w/ 3 kids around 10ish. she was in head to toe lulu lemon gear and pret.ty hot from what I could glean from my stealthy peripheral glances. I heard and listened all about their lives as they were right next to us and rather loud. She became a helluva lot less hot after hearing her nag and whine and yak yak yak. I hated her. We got some hummus to start. There were 2 really young looking girls I would've pegged for 16 except they were drinking white wine to my left. there was a seat dividing them from us and in those seats the girls had stowed their expensive purses to thwart any would be diners. Nice maneuver. The manager busted them for it tho and alerted them to the purse hooks underneath the table. He then sat right next to me and motioned for some very doable root to sit across him (to the right of my wife). It was apparent that there was about to be an interview conducted right next to us. Delicious! Speaking of delicious do try their hummus which was divine and accented with thinly sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes. The interviewee had black hair that was pulled back tight into a long curled pony tail. She was interviewing for bartender. Our entrees arrived. My wife got a tofu type stir fry bowl or something and I had a tempeh sammich with a sweet potato hash. Tempeh is pronounced tem-pay if you ever want to order it and want to look well versed in front of a granola crowd. My ears strained and I was more dismissive to my waiter than usual so I could get back to eavesdropping on what was rapidly becoming a most uncomfortable interview. The manager conducted himself with an air of smug gentility while delivering the mission and vision of the restaurant, the position, and boring numbers stuff. Some people, no matter their position in life, can always speak to you like they are your manager or something. This dude was one of those types, a real asshole. At any rate, from his pontifications I learned how True Food kitchen is a concept borne from a doctor with a hard on for healthy living and encompasses farm to market principles, sustainable something or other, grass fed blah blah, vegan or vegetarian stuff and on and on. The potential bartender did a good job of being engaged but was belied by her habit of throwing her head back over her shoulder to free her eye of the obstruction of the curly pubic strand she pulled had pulled down straight over her right eye. The lone bang over the eye is a cool look when you're envisioning a beej, but probably a poor choice for an interview hairstyle. I bet she regretted it. She did demonstrate what sounded to me like a good grasp of liquor knowledge. Her voice was raspy. She was doing good and then the manager changed course and went to classic behavioral interview questions. Out of left field he goes "tell me about a time, specifically, when you went above and beyond for a customer." she tanked, big time, much like my tempeh-LT (tempeh instead of bacon). The avocado on it was a nice touch tho. He let her wiggle on the hook for a long time. I had to decline dessert, I was so uncomfortable. Would I go back to this restaurant? yes, I would. The previous would I question reminds me of a joke. Here is the joke:

There was a man with a wooden eye he was very self conscious about at a mixer when he spotted a lady he found attractive. The woman was very self conscious about her own physical imperfections as she had rather large, floppy ears. After a drink our two the man mustered enough courage to finally approach her. They made easy small talk and enjoyed each other's company. A popular song played over the speakers. "Would you like to dance?" he asked her. "Would I!" she exclaimed. "Floppy ears!" he screamed back.

Seasons 52. As referenced above. I don't even want to link this bland turd. I can envision the menu having a snippet written about the chef: "please welcome chef John Smith who has previously honed his skills at the cafeteria at Baylor Medical Center, and most recently Love Field". Old people seemed to love it. Blue hairs everywhere. I'll probably take my parents there when they are in town. They love bland, uninspired food that is lukewarm. It's also the kind of place where I won't care how embarrassing they act. This place is decorated weird too, like a Hampton Inn continental breakfast area replete with wall to wall carpeting, dark wood accents that look like the same kind of fake wood that O'Sullivan furniture is made of, and brassy fixtures. Don't waste your food chip here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:14 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We had lunch at Pei Wei on Saturday. It was good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

We had Fish City Grill for dinner on Saturday. The oyster nachos were terrific.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Next time you are in Preston Center try R&D Kitchen. I went there a couple of weeks ago for dinner and that place is crawling with talent. I had the Mediterranean seared tuna salad and it was delish. For dessert, I had 3 more Cs on Ds (Crown on Diamonds, ie rocks).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

:babyarm: It's good. They change the menu every month.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 pm 

Is that the old Houston's?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:58 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

No

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:31 pm 
I'm a tool.

or somesuch wrote:
The oyster nachos were terrific.

i'm surprised.

I actually have an idea for a restaurant. Nachos restaurant. The main courses are nachos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

cap wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
The oyster nachos were terrific.

i'm surprised.

I actually have an idea for a restaurant. Nachos restaurant. The main courses are nachos

I would eat there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:48 am 

Kalachandjis
we ate here for the 1st time on Saturday at lunch and liked it so much we went back yesterday for lunch again. Located at 78/garland rd/e grand blvd and I30, this vegetarian cafeteria style restaurant is nestled inside a Hare Krishna temple. Weird, wild, stuff. Lots of skinny, buzzed-cut Golden Child type dudes walking around shoeless and enlightened looking. I couldn't see inside the temple but it was loud and raucous like a Pentecostal celebration. I read where the proceeds from the food offset the costs to run the church. That business model sure beats getting the stern shaked voiced preacher guilt sermons about tithing. Anywho, the food was fresh, Indian influenced yumminess that was dirt cheap--$19 for the two of us. Cool environment with plenty of kooky people watching, it also has a really nice Joe T Garcia-ish courtyard. This one will get added to the rotation. The captain approves too, lemme tell ya.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:57 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We went to Mooyah for lunch on Saturday. I had a turkey burger. It was good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 am 

My parents came over for a day visit Saturday. we took their non ethnic eating asses here---> Cedars Remembering the time at the sushi place when they ate the edamame, shells and all, and proclaimed through intense chewing that "they didn't like it" or this other time dad when asked for ketchup to go with a samosa, I knew it was a gamble. Cedars is a buffet tho, like Ali Baba, with tons of options and no wait staff. You really gotta keep Bill limited to any and all interpersonal waitperson scenarios or he'll embarrass the hell out of you. He's a combo of Ed Carter and Jerry Clower, a chatty man with a silly Southern twang given to cutesy behavior that is intertwined with bigotry and far out politico based on turbo Baptist principles. Sandy, on the other hand, is a total enigma. She is a woman that rarely talks but has expressive eyes that bug out frequently when they're not squinting through gray bangs above an odd shit eating grin. Anywho, they were scared shitless but brave and after I walked them through the different selections and the various stations they attacked it with vigor. Bill particularly liked the hummus but even after several subtle corrections he still pronounced it whomuss. He liked the falafel too, compared it to a hushpuppy, and thought it would be good with ketchup. It's a pretty good place. Ali Baba is better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:07 am 

El Corazon -------after looking at bushes and stuff at Ruibals Nursery near the Farmer's Market yesterday afternoon, we had a tasty Tex Mex lunch in Oak Cliff. Did you know El Corazon means "the heart" in Mexican? Their sign is a red heart shape with like a lightning bolt crack in it that looks like the cd artwork on the same titled Steve Earle album. Telephone Road was my fave song from that one. El Corazon was also the name of the treasure map in Romancing the Stone. The parts of the movie when they were in the jungle were the best. It breaks my corazon to see what a wildebeest 80's dime piece Kathleen Turner has become. Anydanghoo, I had the portobello fajitas and lemme tell you, they were delish. They were also extremely messy and squirted juices with every bite. I was ashamed by my napkin when I placed it on the table after I finished.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:59 am 

When I first read this, I thought you were gonna say you squirted after you got home. I dunno, maybe that happened anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
El Corazon -------after looking at bushes and stuff at Ruibals Nursery near the Farmer's Market yesterday afternoon, we had a tasty Tex Mex lunch in Oak Cliff. Did you know El Corazon means "the heart" in Mexican? Their sign is a red heart shape with like a lightning bolt crack in it that looks like the cd artwork on the same titled Steve Earle album. Telephone Road was my fave song from that one. El Corazon was also the name of the treasure map in Romancing the Stone. The parts of the movie when they were in the jungle were the best. It breaks my corazon to see what a wildebeest 80's dime piece Kathleen Turner has become. Anydanghoo, I had the portobello fajitas and lemme tell you, they were delish. They were also extremely messy and squirted juices with every bite. I was ashamed by my napkin when I placed it on the table after I finished.

Dammit man, the Doobie Brothers broke up! Shit! When did that happen?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:

They closed the one in Euless. I don't think it lasted 2 years. Was meh anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:52 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Euless sounds pretty lame.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Euless redefined lame.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:05 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Euless redefined lame.

Then again, they do have Softball World.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:06 am 

Afrah: on Main St in Richardson just east of 75. I've seen this place several times and wondered about it. the Yelp reviews rave about it. We were dressed way down over the weekend and feeling gamey after having visited animal shelters. Greek sounded good and we happened to drive by here and gave it a whirl. It wasn't anything stellar, but it wasn't bad either. Kind of a dirty diner look. Lots of flies. On the front patio there were a bunch of chunky hipster chicks wearing turban gear puffing on hookahs. I've never tried the hookah. Color me intrigued. This place did not impress the wife. She found a black hair and tapped out. It was probably one of Hank's, but there was no talking her out of it. Probably not a suitable date night place, but dunchable if people still did that.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:09 am 
Site Admin

I'm a fan of the hookah.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Trained Goucho wrote:
Afrah: on Main St in Richardson just east of 75. I've seen this place several times and wondered about it. the Yelp reviews rave about it. We were dressed way down over the weekend and feeling gamey after having visited animal shelters. Greek sounded good and we happened to drive by here and gave it a whirl. It wasn't anything stellar, but it wasn't bad either. Kind of a dirty diner look. Lots of flies. On the front patio there were a bunch of chunky hipster chicks wearing turban gear puffing on hookahs. I've never tried the hookah. Color me intrigued. This place did not impress the wife. She found a black hair and tapped out. It was probably one of Hank's, but there was no talking her out of it. Probably not a suitable date night place, but dunchable if people still did that.

I enjoy it during the week when they got the buffet going. It's not as good as Ali Baba but they've got some really good dishes that I really like on their buffet.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:21 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We had a good dunching there years ago with Tit. Wasn't Somey the 4th?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:24 am 

you ever go to that bar right down from there? Forget the name of it. the brick is painted greenish/grey I think. closer to 75.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:25 am 
Site Admin

If that's the place I went to, then they have the best falafels in the metroplex.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:41 am 
Site Admin

or somesuch wrote:
If that's the place I went to, then they have the best falafels in the metroplex.

:babyarm: that's the one

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Trained Goucho wrote:
you ever go to that bar right down from there? Forget the name of it. the brick is painted greenish/grey I think. closer to 75.

The one with the neon sign that just says BAR? That's main street liquid lounge. I haven't been in years but Ted and I have been there more than a few times. I met Walt up there too a couple of times when he used to live in town. I think we even had a big get together there once. I'm not sure why I haven't been in a while, maybe it was the awful karaoke selections by the patrons. A man can only take so many buck cherry songs.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:53 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
or somesuch wrote:

:babyarm: that's the one

I recall you fellas raving about the falafel.