Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terd's home improvement blog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I do enough projects around the house that I figured it was time to start blogging about them. I can certainly pay someone do the work but the cheap part in me doesn't want to have to pay for something that I know I can do myself. I've seen enough DIY shows that there's not much I can't handle. I'm fortunate that I work from home so I can tackle these projects without having to miss a beat work-wise. That and my dad is retired and he likes coming over to help with said projects.

Today's projects was installing gutters. I can't believe it's taken me this long to scratch this off the list but but with my landscaping coming along and my Knock Out roses starting to bloom, I figured it was time to address the issue of the water pooling right outside my front door and eroding my freshly laid mulch.

On a difficulty scale of 1 to 5, this one is a 1. It really takes two people though. I guess the most important thing is to make sure you have the right slope so that everything drains to the down spout. I still need to go back and calk the joints but it's late and I already put the ladder away.

Next project is Thursday: We're gonna finish the french drain project we started a few weeks ago. Once completed we can begin the beautification phase.

Post subject: Re: Terd's home improvement blog
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm 
I'm a tool.

can you come over and finish a tile job i started 3 years ago? I'll get you those PO's

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 pm 

My mom and I have argued about gutters forever. She doesn't believe in them, then wonders why nothing will grow around the damned house.

Installing gutters was the first thing I did when I moved into this house.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

freedom drain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I decided to get the ladder out and gave the gutters a good hard calking. With it getting late, the landscape lights came on and I have two lights out. I swear I should buy stock in Home Depot as many times as I go there. I set myself up with a contractors account to redeem rewards from all of my day to day purchases. When they ask for a job number I make up job names like "Hoob manor remodel".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 pm 

TerdFerguson wrote:
I decided to get the ladder out and gave the gutters a good hard calking. With it getting late, the landscape lights came on and I have two lights out. I swear I should buy stock in Home Depot as many times as I go there. I set myself up with a contractors account to redeem rewards from all of my day to day purchases. When they ask for a job number I make up job names like "Hoob manor remodel".

:D fruit dog's bah day project.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My next project name will VSBB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

I support this blog, but I was hoping the artwork blog would get more attention.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Funny you mention this. I went to the DMA over the weekend and I have plenty of HSOs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 pm 

TerdFerguson wrote:
I can't believe it's taken me this long to scratch this off the list but but with my landscaping coming along and my Knock Out roses starting to bloom

I have the J Berry Double Knock Out roses in my yard. Double.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Searches interweb to see if it's possible to buy triple Knock Out roses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

In my first post I said I was inclined to take on projects I can handle but I'm also smart enough to know when to pay others for the ones that I can't. When it comes to trees and pruning, I know nothing about it nor do I have the equipment to even try. I have a tree guy that I have used for years and I had him come over to take a look at my maples. He's an old school brother, around 55 or so, and one of the nicest people you could ever meet. He confirmed what I feared regarding last year's drought and he had to cut out a ton of dead limbs leaving my tree looking naked. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll make it and thrive. As he was finishing my two trees, I made a deal with him that if he would use his extra long chain saw to cut off some of my neighbors limbs that were encroaching on my property I would clean up the rest of the clippings. With any luck my St. Augustine will spread now that the trees are no longer shading my back fence. I have enough fire wood to last me a few seasons. I hated paying $5 for bundle of wood during the dead of winter.

Somewhere in another thread I mentioned a french drain project that I started. I wanted to rent a ditch witch but my dad insisted we could save the money and do it by hand. The initial phase was easy but the second phase was next to impossible due to all of the roots we've had to contend with. Digging ditches might be the hardest work out there. I could tell my dad was getting as tired and worn out as I was but I never once said we should have rented the equipment as I didn't want to throw it in his face that I was right and he was wrong. We completed as much as could and called it a day.

My tree guy saw us working and when I was paying for his services, he jokingly asked who my helper was. I told him it was my dad and he started telling me how lucky I was to share these kind of experiences with him. He said he would give anything to be able to do these kind of projects with his dad but he told him his father passed years ago. Looking back I guess not renting that ditch witch wasn't so bad after all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:29 pm 

You are lucky. I have a very superficial relationship with my dad. The difficulty dates back to childhood. Now I realize he was just too young, stupid, and broke to have 3 kids rat a tat tat. He was always pissed, used to yell at us that we lived and acted like animals, so much so that he was going to begin making us eat off of the floor. It didn't bother us at all. We just ignored him and relieved ourselves in the yard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Admin

I thought you're sawzall the roots idea was a good workaround.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I didn't think about that until we were 75% complete. I tried knocking out more yesterday afternoon and my sawzall idea was working great up to the point where I slung the pick axe a little too deep and hit a sprinkler line. It should be a quick fix but it's funny how a french drain project can turn into a plumbing project.

The thing I have learned over the years is that no matter how much you plan out your list of things to get at Home Depot, you'll go back a second time to pick up something you forgot and then a 3rd time because your original list isn't working and you're gonna go in a different direction. At least that's how it always worked for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 am 

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
The thing I have learned over the years is that no matter how much you plan out your list of things to get at Home Depot, you'll go back a second time to pick up something you forgot and then a 3rd time because your original list isn't working and you're gonna go in a different direction. At least that's how it always worked for me.

:babyarm: :babyarm: :babyarm:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

This may sound really stupid but if and when I ever move, I'm going to make sure I live down the street from a Home Depot. I actually think Lowes is more organized and has way friendlier staff but growing up, HD was the choice of my dad so I guess that's why I'm partial to them. That and they sponsor GameDay which prominently features Big and Rich who sing that awesome song, "We're coming to your city". jk

if you want a little bang in your ying yang...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 am 

TerdFerguson wrote:
This may sound really stupid but if and when I ever move, I'm going to make sure I live down the street from a Home Depot. I actually think Lowes is more organized and has way friendlier staff but growing up, HD was the choice of my dad so I guess that's why I'm partial to them. That and they sponsor GameDay which prominently features Big and Rich who sing that awesome song, "We're coming to your city". jk

if you want a little bang in your ying yang...

The buyer for Lowes seems to have better taste in things like fixtures, rugs, patio furniture and stuff than Depot, but Depot seems to be the better place for down and dirty project things and power tool needs. You gotta dig for good lumber at either place, tho. I hate when one or the other seems to be on a customer service push and every fucking aisle you gotta respond to a salutation of some sort. Another thing Depot messed up on is the bathroom layout. They placed the kiddie urinal by the sink, normal size middle, normal side on the other end right next to a shitter. Sometimes people are doing the big nasty right by the normal size and it's like do you use the middle and break protocol or go to the kiddie one and get splashed with pee.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Trained Goucho wrote:
The buyer for Lowes seems to have better taste in things like fixtures, rugs, patio furniture and stuff than Depot, but Depot seems to be the better place for down and dirty project things and power tool needs. You gotta dig for good lumber at either place, tho. I hate when one or the other seems to be on a customer service push and every fucking aisle you gotta respond to a salutation of some sort. Another thing Depot messed up on is the bathroom layout. They placed the kiddie urinal by the sink, normal size middle, normal side on the other end right next to a shitter. Sometimes people are doing the big nasty right by the normal size and it's like do you use the middle and break protocol or go to the kiddie one and get splashed with pee.

You get salutations at HD? I get ignored. I thought it was because I looked so manly, they thought I knew what I was doing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:33 am 

Mallard Toss wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:
Digging ditches might be the hardest work out there. I could tell my dad was getting as tired and worn out as I was but I never once said we should have rented the equipment as I didn't want to throw it in his face that I was right and he was wrong. We completed as much as could and called it a day.

I told him it was my dad and he started telling me how lucky I was to share these kind of experiences with him. He said he would give anything to be able to do these kind of projects with his dad but he told him his father passed years ago. Looking back I guess not renting that ditch witch wasn't so bad after all.

That's a touching father and son story! It's great that your dad enjoys himself so much, but be mindful of his age and medical history. If he has an erection lasting longer than four hours, you should seek immediate medical attention.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Installed a couple of ceiling fans in some bedrooms. Of course the j box in the attic wasn't installed in a manner that would support the weight of a fan so I had to get up in the 130* heat to toe nail a 2X4 to the truss. Once the insulation gets on you it's church. Got down and rinsed off with the hose but the rest of the night I felt like I had tiny glass slivers up all in me. Got them both up and running and one of them has a constant buzz. I'm tempted to take it down and get another but my energy is dwindling.

The cleaning lady showed up this morning and was all neck-braced out from an accident. The wife and kid had still not left for school and they got talking and the wife told her to go home and get some rest and to come back next week when she was feeling better. We have some family coming into town this weekend so whoTF is going to clean the house? I'll be golfing so sorry for her bad luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:05 am 

Even worse than isulation is getting that Great Stuff foam sealer on your skin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 am 

Although if you let that stuff mound up and spray painted it brown it would look like real life dung.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am 

Great pranks the whole family could enjoy this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:29 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Damn near everyone on the street is getting a new roof. This makes me nervous cuz one guy paid like $9500 for his. Insurance people are coming out and telling them "Yeah, you need a new one." These houses are only 10 years old; this shouldn't be happening. IMO, I'm surrounded by suckers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 pm 

$9500? Oh, shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 pm 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:
Damn near everyone on the street is getting a new roof. This makes me nervous cuz one guy paid like $9500 for his. Insurance people are coming out and telling them "Yeah, you need a new one." These houses are only 10 years old; this shouldn't be happening. IMO, I'm surrounded by suckers.

wrong. shit is made in China because of CLinton. So, shit only lasts 10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I just took a shit that lasted only 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:20 pm 

Mine are typically soft stooled and done in about 10 seconds. Just 1 good push,forceful and loud, like a girl peeing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:32 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I only did about 10 seconds of actual shitting. The rest was sitting there reading.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:38 pm 

The Texas Home and Garden show is this weekend. Man, I'm stoked. it's gonna be like Houzz come to life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 pm 

Soldering a copper pipe is am are be hard as a mofo. saved me $130, but damn it took forever to get right.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:47 pm 

No way I could do it. I am envious of you.

When replacing a faucet at mom's, I used something called a SharkBite fitting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:47 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sharkbites are awesome. I don't know why they work but they work.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:55 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I installed a new automatic sprinkler controller this weekend. It's a Rain Bird. It was super easy to do. The old one wouldn't keep the proper day and time, so when I set it to water on Thursdays (our designated water/trash day...what day is your trash day?), I'd walk away and the controller would suddenly think it's Sunday and I'd miss my watering day. That can wreak havoc on a lawn, boy howdy. Upon examining the old one, which sat dropped and discarded on the garage floor, I found one of those dime-sized batteries buried deep in the circuitry. I bet if I replaced it, the old one would work better. Too late, fucker. You should've had something on the LCD notifying me of that. Instead you're going to the junkyard. Say hi to my old VCR when you get there.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:59 am 

my trash day is Tuesday, and yes, I have 2 cans. One of them is for garbage. The other is for recycling. They are huge too, way bigger than the city of FW. I don't know my water days. I set my Rainbird to M,W,F @ 4 am. I need to replace a couple of heads. Have you ever done that? our bulk trash is the 3rd Thurs of the month. Those fuckers will pick up anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I replaced a head in the backyard last summer. It was easy. Unscrewed the old and screwed in the new. You may get a little dirty. And watch out for ant piles! We also have bulk trash pickup on the 3rd week of the month, but you gotta call them and let them know or your stuff will sit out there for weeks. We called them once and they took a bunch of old carpet from when we put in wood laminate, and they took a huge grill that was rusted like a mug. People down the street got rid of a piano. It's always one dude who takes it all by himself. His job may be tough, but at least he's out in the open air.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 am 

Our guy drives an 18 wheeler, aka "big rig", "tractor trailer", or "semi". sometimes people just call them "big trucks". There is another dude who sits way up high in a compartment on the trailer who operates a crane. It's like Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel watching him work this ginormous shovel bucket and pick up garbage and dump it in the trailer. Too cool. What do you think the coolest television big rigs were? BJ McKay had a pretty red Kenworth with a matching trailer. The one in Smokey and the Bandit had a custom trailer with murals of carriages and stuff. The tractor was a gold and black Kenworth too, I think. Convoy had a bunch or rigs. I bet some of them were Peterbilts. Maybe Freightliner too. Chrome Shop Mafia used to be a guilty pleasure of mine. Do you like truck stops? Man, those dudes have great jobs. Open roads and open air. Sometimes if you do like this :fist: and make your arm go up and down a trucker will honk. They have air horns that are very loud. :hrn:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have an uncle who's been a long haul truck driver his entire adult life. His regular route was Florida to California to New Jersey and back to Florida, hauling orange juice in his big tanker. When we lived in California, he'd call us every couple weeks and have us meet him at the Red Lobster right off the 5 in Valencia. Man, we'd throw down on some crab legs those days! He always said that after I graduated that I should come with him and make the round and see the country. I never did since it would be a nightmare due to my inability to sleep in a moving vehicle. And if we stopped for the night, I'd have to spoon with him in that bed area in the back, which is kinda sexy but kinda creepy. I haven't heard from him in years. He stopped getting in touch after my mom died. Some say he's still out there, countin' the miles and eludin' Smokey, slipping juice through your town under the cover of night. He's 72 now and should really stop soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm having to touch up paint throughout the house as we try to get it ready for sale. I didn't want to purchase a gallon for the matte white, white semi-gloss etc so I took the 1 gallon cans that I haven't touched in years up to to Lowes and had the put them in those shaker things. Afterwards, the dude opened up them up and said I should be good to go. Saved me $50 or so. I also wear surgical gloves (RIP Stu) while I paint to make for easy clean-up. That's today's tip from ol Terd.