Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terd's home improvement blog
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I bought 3 bags of mulch yesterday and had Mrs. Ich spread them throughout the flower beds...

<-------- Scene Control :cool:

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
I'm having to touch up paint throughout the house as we try to get it ready for sale. I didn't want to purchase a gallon for the matte white, white semi-gloss etc so I took the 1 gallon cans that I haven't touched in years up to to Lowes and had the put them in those shaker things. Afterwards, the dude opened up them up and said I should be good to go. Saved me $50 or so. I also wear surgical gloves (RIP Stu) while I paint to make for easy clean-up. That's today's tip from ol Terd.

Terd, please remember when it comes time for hiring a home inspector, my father-in-law does that shit and he can use the business. If you don't already have someone in mind, PM meh when you reach that point and I'll get you in touch.

Also remember that we all like to look at houses around here, and we'll be happy to go house-hunting with you.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I would be happy to use him. I don't know one from the other so if you say he's a good, then I'll go with him. I'll text you as we get to that point in the process.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:05 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
my trash day is Tuesday, and yes, I have 2 cans. One of them is for garbage. The other is for recycling.

My trash days are Monday and Thursday and recycling is picked up on Thursday. I gave up on recycling a couple of years ago when I got involved in recycling efforts at work and found out that about 90% of curbside recycling ends up in the landfill anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Ichabod wrote:
I bought 3 bags of mulch yesterday and had Mrs. Ich spread them throughout the flower beds...

<-------- Scene Control :cool:

You ever get slime mold? I put 20 bags of mulch down last week and we got this spongy - yet firm - substance growing from it. We've had it a few times and I used to think it was coyote vomit or something, but I realized last night that it shows up every time I put mulch down. So I looked it up and it's something called slime fungus, which is apparently completely harmless, so I gave it to the boy to play with. The pic below is not mine, but it looks the closest to what mine looked like on the first two pages of google images.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:52 pm 

Staggered into the kitchen for a drink this morning, noticed an odd puddle on the counter. Looked up, and water was dripping through the ceiling.

The central air fan unit is in the attic, I figured the condensation drain pan was stopped up again.

Wrong. The sumbitch was rusted out. So before I took the dog for a walk, I got up there and put a bucket in place. Had to get a piece of plywood, too, so the weight of the bucket wouldn't cause it to fall through the sheetrock.

Did some online shopping for this thing tonight, kinda slim pickins. Grainger has one for $47. Or I could try to patch the other one.

The two-gallon bucket already was half full when I got home from work.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:32 pm 

This could be worked into 9 to 5 with some tweaking.

Stumbled outta bed and staggered to the kitchen
found a puddle from the air condition
and yawned and stretched and tried to come to life.....

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 pm 

Although it's kinda got a Sunday Mornin Comin Down vibe too.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:58 pm 

If it's a Sunday morning coming down thing, there has to be having a beer for dessert in the lyrics.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:57 pm 

After a day that was totally FUBAR, I decided to stop at Wally World and get a cheap weedeater. The goal was to make myself feel better by working in the yard. It was a long shot, I guess.

This one had the Murray brand slapped on it, and they had attachments there for you to buy. I just bought the weedeater for $100.

I spent the money on an expensive brand once, and I'm not going to do it again. So I buy a disposable one every other year.

To my surprise, I got it home and all of my old Troybilt attachments fit it. Used the blower to clean off the sidewalks. I also have a hedge trimmer that will fit it. I am pretty happy with this development.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:50 am 

Make sure you buy Trufuel for it and not gas station gas. They sell it at lowes and depot. It will perform so much better. Ethanol in car fuel really bogs down weed eaters.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:54 am 

changed out our garbage disposal. was not as hard as I thought it was. YouTube can teach you errthang you need to know.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm 

Trained Goucho wrote:
Make sure you buy Trufuel for it and not gas station gas. They sell it at lowes and depot. It will perform so much better. Ethanol in car fuel really bogs down weed eaters.

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I really think that is why mine never last that long. It wrecked the diaphram (a carburetor part) in more than one mower and trimmer that I have had over the years.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I bought a Ryobi leaf blower to clean out all the crap that blows into the garage. I find it mildly satisfying to wield so much wind power.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:18 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have a Toro leaf blower and I used it this weekend to clean up after trimming the landscaping. I trimmed the bushes with my Black & Decker hedge trimmer. Both are electric because I prefer that, but someone got my extension cords all tangled up and I had to separate them before getting started. I swear, I'm the only one at my house who knows how to properly coil an extension cord.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I have a Toro leaf blower and I used it this weekend to clean up after trimming the landscaping. I trimmed the bushes with my Black & Decker hedge trimmer. Both are electric because I prefer that, but someone got my extension cords all tangled up and I had to separate them before getting started. I swear, I'm the only one at my house who knows how to properly coil an extension cord.

Sounds like you uncoil your extension cord quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:49 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Cord Reel

Just make sure you unwind the cord all the way when you use it. I found out that 90' coiled up will generate 50,000 BTUs of heat and could possibly burn down your house.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We had this kind growing up. As a Star Wars nerd, I pretended it was a blaster of sorts. It fit perfectly around my Terd bicep. My dad would yell at me to stop playing with his power tools but I would tell him I was just brushing my teeth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

A large, and I mean large branch from my neighbor's property fell in my back yard a few weeks back. It's been too hot and I've been too lazy to chop it up and hall it to the curb. I finally said eff it and got out my reciprocating saw and started having a field day on it. Took me a good 3.5 hours but it's done. Got the leaf blower out and blew all the dead leaves into my neighbor's yard and now I'm done doing some pre World Cup drinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Kinda early to be done drinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:16 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Now that I think about it, you're right. Gonna head to the Fill to watch USMNT.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:20 pm 
I'm a tool.

TerdFerguson wrote:

i can't wait until you move to LE. We all could watch it over somey's. Set it up, somey!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

You mean terd and I could watch it after you dice?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 am 

Repaired my "beverage" fridge this weekend. I did some interweb searches on the symptoms of my fridge problems: Freezer Freezes over, and refrigerator doesn't cool.
ended up with Defrost Thermostat, and found a video on how to fix it at: http://www.partselect.com/PS1017716-GE- ... =PS1017716
It was am be easy to fix, and saved me 2 hundy. part was $10 + shipping.
The internets be cray yo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:

i can't wait until you move to LE. We all could watch it over somey's. Set it up, somey!

You screwed that up when you talked to Netera. Now I have to have a con-call with Dano to work this all out. If you screw on the managed services I will knife you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

:walt: "God Damnit, cap!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:21 pm 
I'm a tool.

TerdFerguson wrote:
I will knife you.

you and LE are made for each other

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have the direct number to the chief of the fire department. I should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:06 pm 

Living in a guest house out in BFE, I have had no washer/dryer, but I do have room for a stackable. The problem with that is, it has to be a gas dryer. Finally found a used set yesterday for $500 at a place in Grand Prairie. The Hoobstress actually asked if I was going to wear my gun when I got out of the car. Oops, I got off the subject.

The dryer has to be converted from natural gas to propane. Looked it up on video and it's not that hard to do myself. But there is one problem here:

I can't find the motherfucking part out here. The hardware stores are all saying that the propane company has it. The propane company said the seller should have had it. The seller said the propane company or hardware stores have it.

Sigh. Ordered it from Amazon for $12.50. Now I wait.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:56 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Our downstairs AC went out last September. We have a Freon leak somewhere so we had a guy come out and fill it up again. It lasted about 3 weeks before going dry again, so we had him out one more time to top it off and get an estimate on fixing it for good. He told us we needed to replace the compressor and put in a new coil that handle the new EPA-mandated Freon. Total bill would be $3800. Since it was late in the year, we let it slide and have been saving up to pay for it. Now we're ready to get it fixed before it gets all hot and shit circa March.

Yesterday, we had a couple more AC companies swing by and give us estimate. Let these bastards bid against each other. We're not dying of heat stroke right now, so we can afford the time to do this. I recommend it. Here's why: The first guy (estimate #2) who showed up yesterday is from A1 Air. They're huge. Got commercials on TV and shit. The guy kept going on like he's a salesman, though he kept reminding us he's an engineer. He gave everything a bird's eye look and declared we need everything replaced. Not just the compressor, etc., but the whole damned furnace. And since we have two, we should replace the other at the same time since it's going bad and probably won't make it through the summer. Cost to replace the one that isn't working would be $7000. Cost to do both at the same time would be $13,000. These are Daikin furnaces, the Lexus of furnaces, he assured us. Then he went out to his vehicle and called his boss to see if he could get a better price. Mrs Tit and I were rolling our eyes inside and comparing it to dealing with a car dealer. He came back in and said he got permission to lower the cost for both to $10,500. I bet he could cut us a deal on that clear coat too if we pushed it.

AC guy #3 showed up while guy #2 was writing his estimates for us. We could see him deflate a little when he realized we were getting multiple consultations and estimates. Guy #3 is an independent guy. He's a relative of my boss and comes highly recommended for being fair and not bullshitting you and trying to sell extras you don't need. He really got in there and looked around. Showed us how everything works. (Furnaces are neat.) In the end, he recommended replacing the compressor and coil, just like guy #1 last year. He said our furnances look fine. They should last a few more years without any trouble. And fuck a bunch of Daikin, he said. They're all the same and owned by the same company, apparently. He's working on a cost estimate for us and should have it to us by tomorrow. We'll probably go with him.

$10k is probably a good deal to replace a couple of furnaces, but I don't need them right now, so fuck that guy for trying to push that shit on me. But imagine how many people pay it without question when they're burning up in their living rooms in the middle of July. I don't know if I've said this before, but if you call someone to come fix something and a youngish white guy shows up, smile politely, get an estimate, then send him on his way and call someone else. He's gonna screw you somehow. The work will get done, but you'll pay through the nose. Get an older white dude, preferably caked with dirt and sweat, or a Mexican.

Last edited by Tit Whistle on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:00 am 

Those are good rules of thumbs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 am 
I'm a tool.

Tit Whistle wrote:
Our downstairs .

i'd like to see that contract.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 pm 

It's been 6-8 years, but I got a new compressor for $3700.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:16 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

As a follow-up, we got an estimate from the last guy for $6300 to replace both compressors and coils. It's a lot of dough. A1 called Mrs Tit back on Friday saying they had a better offer. We figured if we could get them down another grand or two for the full shebang, we might go with them as it would be the better deal. She played phone tag with them yesterday until she finally got to talk to a sales manager who refused to acknowledge that the $10.5k quote we got in writing is correct. He still wanted to charge $13k. Apparently he was a real asshole, but pretty much all sales guys are. So fuck a bunch of A1. Stay away from this place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
As a follow-up, we got an estimate from the last guy for $6300 to replace both compressors and coils. It's a lot of dough. A1 called Mrs Tit back on Friday saying they had a better offer. We figured if we could get them down another grand or two for the full shebang, we might go with them as it would be the better deal. She played phone tag with them yesterday until she finally got to talk to a sales manager who refused to acknowledge that the $10.5k quote we got in writing is correct. He still wanted to charge $13k. Apparently he was a real asshole, but pretty much all sales guys are. So fuck a bunch of A1. Stay away from this place.

That's way too much. Guaranteed right, day or night.

:fu2:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Our AC got all polished off last night. The new compressors and coils were installed a couple weekends ago. The guy came back last night to top off the coolant since it needs to be 72 degrees outside or something to get the measurements right. We have cool air again and it's gonna be a comfy summer. I also got $300 knocked off the price for helping the guy do some of the heavy lifting. I just had to help him move the compressors to the side of the house and help plant those concrete slabs they sit on. Did you know those are half fiberglass? It was a good 10 minutes of hard work for your old buddy Tit. I sat on my ass inside the rest of the day. In the end, it cost $6000 for two new compressors and coils. It's a good chunk of change, but I think I got a good deal. This guy is based out of Lake Dallas, but he'll go anywhere for a job. If you need AC work, PM meh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:22 pm 

I once knocked a large chunk out of one of those bases with a weedeater. I kinda thought they were all fiberglass.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My inside and outside A/C units are being replaced as I type this. I had been nursing along both units for nearly 10 years with 200-300 bucks in repairs a year just to avoid having to bite the bullet. Last year I spent more than $600 on new capacitors for the outside unit, tightening down the fan drum that had worked its way loose (and made an annoying noise for the rest of the year), and a shorted out wire on the heater. That would have covered 10% of the cost of the new units. I woke up last Monday to water coming out of the wall at the slab in the garage. That usually means the condensation line coming out of the drain pan is clogged. I tried all of the usually tricks to unclog it and I still had water in the garage on Wednesday. I had a friend look at it that night and he quickly determined that I had a hole in the corner of the drain pan and that my only options were a new unit or dealing with the water (which by Thursday was starting to cause a moldy smell in the garage. I got a quote for both units from another friend with his own A/C business on Thursday and he had a crew here at 7:00 this morning ready to do the deed. The guy that started the demo on the old unit said it was the original unit installed in the house (38 years old) since it looked like the closet had been built around it. Usually I lose sleep over spending money on repairs like this, but I'm excited about saving on my electric bill and not having to blow money on repairs on an annual basis.

On a side note, I shut down the A/C on Friday morning so I could start cleaning up and disinfecting the mess in the closet and the garage. We've been rocking the open windows all weekend. I wish the weather would stay like this for the rest of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Replaced the downstairs unit just last week. I too was tired of getting nickel and died each season. Ironic that Mrs. Ich turned the heat on yesterday morning, but July will be here soon enough and I will smile. :)

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:38 pm 

I replaced a square 4x4ish porch column with one of those precast column style ones. I used some old 2x4s and a car jack to lift up on the porch and pop the old column out. Easy peezey japanesey. The worst part was cutting the new column down. It was real dusty and I sneezed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I need to expand my backyard. For some reason the fence on the south side of the house is almost to the back corner, instead of towards the front like the other side. My plan is to install a new gate and fence about 20' closer to the street side, giving me ~150 sq ft of extra back yard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I wanna build a deck and an awning in my backyard. One of these days, I will.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next