Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Terd looks at 50 works of art before he dies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

There are Terds and then there are rumors of Terds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 am 

A couple of months ago we watched a documentary called Meow Wolf which was in advance of our visit to the interactive art experience. I don't know what else to call it as it is not a studio. I think the documentary was on Prime and it tells the story of these young artsy upstarts that moved to Santa Fe in the hopes of living their dream. They're the typical idealistic early twenties types that were taken to next level annoying heights with their granola grunge Mad Max fashion and attitudes. Frustrated that the art scene there was too high end and corporate-y, and the established order was unwelcoming, they bonded together and rented spaces and built large themed exhibits that broke all the rules and was something new and unique. It began to take off and they were getting a lot of buzz. They are all really talented and hard workers. Anyhoo, they eventually reached out to the writer of Game of Thrones who is a local resident there and he became their backer and bought an old bowling alley that they transformed into what is now Meow Wolf. It's really cool. Once you get in you enter into what looks like an old house but in every room in the house there is a portal to another world---like when you open the refrigerator in the kitchen you walk through it in to a balls tripping wonderland maze. Deep in the bowels of all of this there is a small concert area. The Black Lips are playing there next month. There is also a bar, a snack center, and a retail section with all kinds of MW themed crap. They are cashing in big time. They are even franchising the thing and building similar outposts in places like Denver and I forget where else.

Funny how they have all become the corporate-for profit model artists they were so opposed to when the movie began. It is still really cool. Terd, put this on your list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:43 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

So did you move to Santa Fe? I don't recall reading about this in your newsletter. Or are you just vacationing there? It's a nice time of year to visit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm 

It was just a vacation. We do talk smack about retiring there. Where is your retirement dream locale?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mine's in east Texas, away from the larger towns. I already have my and my wife's burial plots paid for in Arbala. I hope to be able to move out there while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

My wife brought up going on vacation over Christmas this year. As I am not much on celebrating the birth of ol' JC, I was bout it bout it. We decided we didn't want to go anywhere that would be better in the summer (ie anything but skiing), so we were looking at skiing in Colorado. As we began the budget crunching, it looked like Colorado wasn't in our best interests this year, so we began discussing a road trip to Santa Fe. If there was enough snow to ski, great. If not, we'd take in all Santa Fe had to offer. We quickly realized that all Santa Fe had to offer was minimal and 10+ hours in the car with kids was sounding less and less appealing the more we thought about it. So we're back on the budget buster vacation in Breckenridge, but I can't help but wonder if Meow Wolf would have sealed the deal on Santa Fe.

Prez, please move this post to the vacation blog if you feel it's better suited there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We kinda got a boner for Colorado lately and it could be a moving destination after Tit Jr finishes high school. We both agree though that we should take a trip there in the winter to see if our attitudes change about it. Summers there are awesome. Wonder what January is like?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am 
I'm a tool.

Y'all are rich. I wish I had a vacation