Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Tit Whistle tells you what music to listen to
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 pm 

Have you given humanz by gorillaz a listen?

spotify link

My opinion is that this album is incredibly disappointing. Do you know what else? It seems disjointed. May I be frank? It's a mess. Not sure what they were aiming for here but it's like they threw shit against the wall hoping something would stick, (that's an old expression)then threw some interludes in randomly to make it look like a well planned and orchestrated effort. well, I'm not buying it.

1 :urinate: out of 5

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I just fired it up. I will report back in an hour or so.

Titette goes absolutely ape for Gorillaz, but she said she only listened to the album twice this past weekend. She usually keeps new shit running non-stop, so I'm proceeding with caution.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:16 pm 
I'm a tool.

My son likes Metallica. Now I know he's not gay. :rockon:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Have you given humanz by gorillaz a listen?

spotify link

My opinion is that this album is incredibly disappointing. Do you know what else? It seems disjointed. May I be frank? It's a mess. Not sure what they were aiming for here but it's like they threw shit against the wall hoping something would stick, (that's an old expression)then threw some interludes in randomly to make it look like a well planned and orchestrated effort. well, I'm not buying it.

1 :urinate: out of 5

I didn't think it was that terrible. I don't get the interludes, but I've hated those on just about every hip-hop album I've ever heard, too. There are some good songs here, though it meanders in the second half. There are also too many guest stars. It's not able to develop it's own personality. Sounds like a collection of club tracks by different artists. It's their weakest album so far, but it's still decent.

:urinate: :urinate: :urinate: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:02 pm 

inspired by Harvey, Houston rapper z-ro pens catastrophic song "houston2gether"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Remembering Harvey, how his smile would make you smile...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:42 pm 
I'm a tool.

Jet city woman may be a top 10 rock song of all time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's been awhile since I've sought a ruling from Tit: am I supposed to like Father John Misty or is it okay that I just don't get it? I've seen him on SNL a few times and, when I saw he was touring with Jason Isbell, I tried multiple times to give his work a try. I just can't get past it sounding like a bad Radiohead ripoff. Jason Isbell was great and, unlike most of the douches there last night, I was enjoying his work well before A Star Is Born. It was my first show at Toyota Music Factory, which is like a shrunk down version of whatever they're calling the amphitheater at Fair Park these days with a lot fewer seats under cover and no sun beating you down before the show starts. My only complaint is that it's so close to the freeway that we had a ton of bleedover noise from cars and trucks (at least where we were sitting). I didn't notice it until about halfway through and then I couldn't get it out of my head.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I like a couple of his songs but I've never bothered with a full album. I guess that means he's ok but no reason to go apecaca. Everything I've heard is more acoustic and less Radiohead-tweaky. I don't know anything about that Isbell guy but i haven't seen A Star Is Born yet.

I like that Toyota place. Good place for shows. Not a shithole like Fair Park. Getting out of there is a giant suck though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I like that Toyota place. Good place for shows. Not a shithole like Fair Park. Getting out of there is a giant suck though.

I liked it except for the bathroom situation. I was at the first concert they had (ZZ Top! :rockon: ) so I don't know if they just didn't have everything open or what, but a line to one of just a couple of restrooms they had was at least 100 people deep.

Getting out was a breeze. My workplace is at 114 and Beltline. I Uber'd in and out. It was $9+ each way. I don't know how much it costs to park at the venue but I'm sure the $20 was more than worth the hassle of dealing with traffic.

I don't remember hearing traffic, but my brain is remembering that the back was closed and there wasn't any lawn seating. Not sure though. :dunno:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I knew Radiohead wasn't the best comparison, but it's a little concept-ish and that always makes me think of Radiohead. Jason Isbell was kicked out of Drive-by Truckers for being a coke head and a drunk. He got rehabbed up and is solo now. I think most people would call him country because he has a fiddle player, but he's definitely not mainstream Nashville country. I would call it more Americana/southern rock. I ran across him a few years ago after KXT played one of his songs. He wrote one of the songs for A Star is Born.

The bathroom lines were pretty bad, but I went as we walked in during Father John Misty's set, so I didn't wait. The beer prices were insane. $13.75 for Bud/Coors or $18 for the good stuff, tall boys only. We parked in the garage next door and traffic was a bitch leaving. We were up near the top of the garage and traffic didn't move for 30 minutes after we got to our car. We were going to Uber, but I was afraid of running out of time with trying to get the kid to her friend's house.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

30 minutes to get out of the garage happened to us the last time we went there. You back out and you sit until the shit unwinds up to your level.

And if Jason Isbell was in the Drive-by Truckers, I'm probably familiar with a couple of his songs from there, but I just didn't know his name.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

He played a Drive By Truckers song or two in some of the shows on this tour, but not here. Usually Goddamn Lonely Love or Decoration Day. He does a cover of Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac that is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm 

What do you think of The National? I don't hate them and even don't mind hearing a song or two from them, but I mostly just don't get the adoration their fans heap on them. To be clear, by "their fans" I am speaking of my wife. Something about the dude's mumble mouth talking in a sing songy way really moves her to tears. My tolerance for their music wanes after about 3 songs and I have to tap out. I do find it easy to pick one of their songs, like Graceless for example, and just mumble around in a low energy stream of consciousness way about whatever mundane thing I'm doing in the moment and then just end it with "Grace". YouTube the song, you'll see what i mean. It makes for a pretty good Matt Berninger impression, but my wife disagrees. He is their lead singer fyi. I had to bing that.

Anydangwho, they will be playing in Santa Fe at their outdoor opera house in September and tg and his dime piece will be there as part of our 19th wedding anniversary extravaganza. We were actually married in October but this is the gift. I thought we used to have a thread about concerts/venues we were planning to go to but I couldn't find it. Maybe I am thinking of the jp's forum. I bet he cries when he listens to the National too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I like The National but I don't go crazy about them either. Like you, I like a few songs but I haven't bothered with an album in a while. I do love that "Mr. November" song. That's the one that goes

I won't fuck us over
I'm Mr. November
I'm Mr. November
I won't fuck us over

I won't fuck us over
I won't fuck us over
I won't fuck us over
I'm Mr. November

It's a good song. I also remember that concert thread. It was a useful thread. I'm gonna start a new one right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 pm 

so purdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am 

Tit, have you listened much to the self titled release by Purple Mountains? It's a great listen, especially if you're in a bit of a melancholy mood. I didn't really know about it until they started playing All My Happiness is Gone a bit on Sirius.

For those that don't know its a band formed by a dude named David Berman. He was the frontman for Silver Jews throughout the 90's and some of the aughts. This new album was released in May. Berman killed himself in August. The lyrics for a lot of the songs are pretty dark. Now that you know how the story ends the songs were a pretty obvious cry for help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have not listened to it but I will on your recommendation. I heard the whole story about him and I've listened to some Silver Jews in the past, but just never got around to his new one. Crazy how he didn't put out any new music for years, then dropped this and then offed himself. That's how Stu did it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:48 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Listened to it this morning and it's a damn fine album. Surprisingly upbeat music for a guy who had clearly decided to end it soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:42 pm 

Have you given Fiona Apple a listen? I've been listening to it this morning. I was curious because critics have been raving so much about it. She does have a cool voice and it's nice to see a blast from the past make a comeback. I enjoyed the 1st listen ok enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:14 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I gave it a listen after everyone went apeshit over it last week, and I think it's one of those times when they're absolutely right. I haven't paid much attention to her since that first album in the 90s. She's always been a wacko but she sounds like got her shit together enough that she can have some fun for a change. I love this swingy jazz neurosis stuff. I'm gonna listen to it again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 pm 

Lately i've been down a rabbit hole on YouTube of some subset called Western AF. It's been fun.It's new stuff that sounds real old school like this dude:
https://youtu.be/zvie5df0SP8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:16 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I haven't listened to the Ticket in almost 15 years now *dodges rock thrown by PSC* so I don't know how much this has been discussed on air, but I recently got into the Spinnin' album by Dallas's own Bastards of Soul. This is some damn fine 60s R&B/Soul music featuring one Dan Balis on bass. I used to give him shit for being a spare, but that dude fuckin' brings the bass grooves on this album. Real smooth playin'. Good for rump-shakin'. Former The Jones Thing member Chris Holt is in this band too. That's what we call pedigree. I first listened to it on Spotify, then I bought it on vinyl. Yes, I've turned into one of those vinyl guys. Don't become a vinyl guy. It's expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have them on my big Spotify playlist. Good stuff. I would almost go so far as to say that take what Leon Bridges does and make it better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:38 pm 

I had "Everywhere" by Fleetwood Mac stuck in my head yesterday so last night i watched the video and then went down a rabbit hole of "before the beginning" which was the music of FM before they went poppy. First time I've ever checked out their music from their original form. What a radical change they went through.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:57 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

What's the consensus on AJR? I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard of them before a few days ago when their video for 3 o'clock Things showed up in my FB feed. I liked the jazzy parts and the short fat lead singer reminded me of me so I was really viben on it. Then I pulled up another video and there was a tall skinny guy singing but it sounded the same as the short fat guy. Come to find out the short fat guy is just an actor :neutral:

I binged em on the Spots and found that even on their debut album their sound is super produced. Lots of drum machines, sound effects and auto tune. The singer has a decent pop voice and the music is bouncy for the most part. They sound like a lighter version of fun., but without the cringey "i beat my girlfriend but wear high cropped capri pants with no socks but I'm not hiding anything I really am straight I swear" vibe.

Anyhoos, BANG BANG BANG! here we go!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:44 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've never heard of them. Don't listen to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I've never heard of them. Don't listen to them.

Too late, they suckered me in. Apparently the 3 guys are brothers, and AJR is the first letter of each of their names. They've only released 4 albums. On 3 of them the first song is called "Overture" and is a remix of all the songs on that album. It's not a medley by any means. More like a reimagination of everything. It's a neat concept.

The first 2 albums are pretay gud, the 3rd one is kinda weak, and the latest is by far the best. One of the brothers is also their producer and he's pretty good at it.

Anyway, it's indie pop and it sucks! *sniff*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:05 pm 

Heard a really cool song on KXT yesterday and the radio read Modern Lovers “Kit”. I couldn’t remember them having this song but wanted to hear it again and looked it up on the YouTube. It’s actually a band called Kit and the song is Modern Lovers. It was released last May and what do you know they are Dallas locals. Apparently a side gig from the local punk band Sealion whom I’ve never heard of either. Here it is
https://www.centraltrack.com/exclusive-premiere-song-of-the-day-fit-modern-lovers/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:58 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Pretty cool track. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite Modern Lovers song is "Roadrunner". I can listen to that song anytime. Might be in my all-time top 10. I also like the Roadrunner theme song from the Saturday morning cartoon show when we were kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:43 am 
I'm a tool.

:grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30