Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watch Hoob fail at getting into shape blog
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:03 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
hoobmeister wrote:
Showered at the park when I finished, just stood there under the solid cold water for awhile. I usually don't shower at the park but I made an exception this time.

I thought this was going to take a George Michael turn for a second. I can't not say I'm a little disappointed it didn't.

I have a story about that. Someday when I'm really drunk I'll tell it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
hoobmeister wrote:
Showered at the park when I finished, just stood there under the solid cold water for awhile. I usually don't shower at the park but I made an exception this time.

I thought this was going to take a George Michael turn for a second. I can't not say I'm a little disappointed it didn't.

I have a story about that. Someday when I'm really drunk I'll tell it.

So, Saturday night then? I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:51 pm 

Rode the Greenbelt late in the day, a 21 mile ride on a rock road. The bike was covered with white rock when I was done. However, I needed the exercise.

Saw three squirrels and two armadillos. Had to slam on the brakes to miss one of those things.

A kickass time was had.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:17 pm 

Bonham State Park today, went two laps or something like 15 miles. Rode the second lap pretty fast, was kinda tired on lap one. It was nice and cool today. Thanks, Delkus.

On lap two I goofed around with riding in the second gear range. I think real riders do this most of the time.

Saw a couple of rabbits, a squirrel, and one snake. Oh, and a lot of poison ivy. Could have ridden more but a mom visit was looming. Sigh.

Bummed a trash bag from the park rangers and picked up some trash that some dumbass had thrown on loop M3.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 am 
I'm a tool.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm 

While mowing the yard today, I came to my senses and said out loud, "Hoob, why are you mowing the damn yard while you are on vacation? Take your bike and go camping." So, I packed up the car and off I went.

Rode a lap just before dusk at Bonham State Park. 'Twas awesome. Sitting in my tent now, drinking beer in violation of State law.

A kickass time is being had.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:04 pm 

Woke up this morning and it was about 60 degrees in my tent. Decided to go for an early morning ride. Legs were tired at first, but they warmed up fairly quickly. Was sweating like a mother when I was done.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:23 pm 

Sunday afternoon I went to Johnson Branch for a ride. It was 94 degrees when I shoved off.

Had a difficult time climbing, don't know why. Maybe my back tire is getting worn down. I felt fine, so it wasn't a strength issue.

Still, I made it through a few areas that sometimes pitch me over the handlebars that required some skill.

About a quarter mile from the end, I was going down a hill and my left hand slipped off the handlebars AGAIN. WTF? I crashed, hitting my knee on a rock, bloodying it and wrenching it in the frame of the bike. The handlebars hit me in the collarbone, putting a strawberry on one side. My knee is sore today and I wore a large patch over it.

My gloves are really old, and my handlebar grips are brand new. I am going to get different gloves and see what happens.

A kickass time was had.

BTW, an acquaintance of mine broke her arm here last week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Admin

jim jack wrote:
BTW, an acquaintance of mine broke her arm here last week.

maybe you guys should mix in a safe word?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:12 pm 

Went to Bonham State Park today, my first ride in two weeks. Went one lap. Brought some trimmers and did some maintenance on the place and it was needed. There was a large tree that had fallen on the trail, but it'll take more than a pair of hand trimmers to fix that. Would have loved to have gone another lap, but there wasn't time, as usual.

Bought new gloves yesterday in hopes that this would solve my problem of my hand slipping off of the handlebars. Had a close call with this issue again today but I didn't wreck.

Some other poor sap rode ahead of me and cleared out all of the spider webs. A kickass time was had.

Then I had to go to my mom's and have the life force sucked out of me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

Work today sucked royally. Think about someone sucking a tennis ball through a garden hose. Suck-starting a Harley.

Fortunately, I brought the bike and clothing just in case I had time to ride. I made time even though it was 99 degrees.

Went to Johnson Branch, did a good job of it for a change. Had fun climbing. No wrecks. Chickened out on dead man's curve. Wore the Camelbak for water. As I pulled into the parking lot at the end of the ride, I drained it dry. I am surprised by this and will have to bring a water bottle, too.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 pm 

After wasting the day working in the yard, I rode a lap at Johnson Branch. Wrecked on the advanced trail, attempted to climb a rutted out area too slowly and fell down the hill back-asswards. Was wearing my Camelbak backpack, so I didn't get a scratch. Wearing a helmet helps, too. Threw the bike off of me, dusted my old ass off, and continued on. I was lucky.

I name all of the places where I wreck, but I can't figure out what to name this spot. It shouldn't have happened at all, so I don't know what to call it. Maybe, Hoob is a dumbass hill.

Rode the rest of the trail without a problem, really enjoyed the ride. Sweated like a mofo.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:21 pm 

Haven't ridden in a month. Loaded the bike up today and drove out to Bonham State Park, rode two laps on their trail, which was about 15 miles. Started at noon. At the end of lap one, the Hoobstress called and complained about me being out in this heat. This is the place where I overheated a couple of years ago because I drank a lot of soft drinks before I rode. From that point on, I have always drank a lot of water before I even got to the trail.

Although I wasn't as hydrated today as I usually am, I still drank quite a bit of water before I got there, and that saved my old ass. It was 102 when I started, 107 when I quit. Dayum.

Showered and went home. My pumpkin head is still kinda hot, but it was worth it. I had fun.

Have been having a lot of back stiffness lately. It has all gone away now. Strange.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 pm 

Has it been that long since I rode? Dayum.

Went to BSP today and went one lap. Early in the ride, I have to go uphill on pavement and pass by the guard shack at the front. The guard shack lady could hear me approach because of my heavy breathing. I was that out of shape.

She said, "You haven't been doing this lately, have you?"

Went one lap, didn't die.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:41 pm 

Went to Johnson Branch this afternoon, rode the entire thing. Didn't wreck, which lately has been a problem for old Hoob.

I don't understand how climbing power differs so much from ride to ride. Today I was great at it even though I'm not in shape. I've ridden this place about 80 times and still haven't mastered the gears for steep hills. Sometimes I can be really strong and can't climb anything.

I am really disappointed in how many trees were cut down by the folks at Dorba. It looks like somebody got a new chain saw and decided to fuck the place up. Trees were cut down and just left to rot wherever they fell. I'm not an environmentalist at all, but damn. What a mess.

Oh, well, maybe they know what they are doing. A truly kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I need to dust off the bike.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm 

Johnson Branch opened today, so I rode it this afternoon. Actually, it was quite dry.

Maybe I learned something about climbing today: don't inflate the tires to the maximum recommended pressure of 50 psi. They were pretty low today, probably something like 25. Climbed things like a mofo. Went a long time before I ever had to touch my foot to the ground. Made it over three different obstacles that I rarely cover.

Having a C.J. Wilson attitude about riding helps, too. I had it today. I was jumping over shit and thinking, "Look at me. I'm Hoob. After I finish this I'm going to practice landing a 737."

Encountered a female hiker twice. The first time I saw her, I thought, "oh, a root. Stay away." I exchanged pleasantries with her and went on. The second time, she looked pretty good and had a cute smile. She was maybe 25 years old. The fact that I saw her twice and had two different opinions of her bugged me.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:

Encountered a female hiker twice. The first time I saw her, I thought, "oh, a root. Stay away." I exchanged pleasantries with her and went on. The second time, she looked pretty good and had a cute smile. She was maybe 25 years old. The fact that I saw her twice and had two different opinions of her bugged me.

A kickass time was had.

Did you stop and have 6 beers in between sightings?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
jim jack wrote:

A kickass time was had.

Did you stop and have 6 beers in between sightings?

:D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:57 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:42 pm 

I can't start to describe how that freaks me out that people ride stuff like that. That guy was probably wearing pedal clips, which means his feet were clipped to the pedals. It's crazy, man.

By the way, I actually rode today, but it was only the Ray Roberts Greenbelt. My legs are really out of shape and weak, and the ground was mushy. Not a good combination. Only went 12 miles and not the entire 21 mile trek.

The temp was 53, so dressing for that sort of thing is difficult. Wore a cheap new athletic long sleeved top I got from Old Navy that zipped up to my chin like a turtleneck. SS shirt over that. Tights, bike shorts, full fingered gloves, skull cap, helmet, shoes. Was a little sweaty at the end but not bad.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:57 pm 

Oh, wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:32 pm 

It was warm and windy today, and Johnson Branch opened, finally. Legs were still weak, but I rode the entire 9 mile thing. Took an hour, 40 minutes to ride it. Had to stop twice because my heartrate got too high on climbs.

It's funny how I can do a better job of climbing with old bald tires on a surface that is totally covered with leaves and really slick. I guess it makes me use better technique. Lots of leaves also hide the big rocks and that can lead to problems, but I lucked out. This time.

Only had one little wreck that didn't hurt. On Careflite Hill, I have to go around a large tree and then properly line things up to safely make it down a deep creekbed and back up. Failure to be properly aligned will result in going over the handlebars and getting kilt. Slid in the leaves as I was cornering, t-boned a small tree, which prevented me from going down the hill. Yelled, "oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!" as I was spinning out of control. Having nearly met death, I decided to just walk the rest of that section. I have wrecked twice on this part before, and the worst bruise I ever had was here.

All other obstacles that had injured me previously were conquered. The boulder section, back stabber rock, and the moon rocks were all ridden over without flipping my old ass. Rode Dead Man's Curve successfully.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:31 pm 

Even though I'm on vacation, I'm dealing with school administrators that seriously need to eat a bowl. Mistresses who leave me with blue balls aren't helping, either. Having had enough of that, I decided to ride this afternoon. It was 35 degrees when I took off at the Johnson Branch trail.

I wore full winter gear including a girly head band over my ears. I stayed quite warm except for my fingers, which were so cold that I could barely work the brakes. And on this trail, brakes are a must.

Decided early on that I was only going to ride the five mile loop and skip the dangerous parts that extended the ride to 9.1 miles. Good move, Hoob. During the last mile, I noticed that my fingers were finally warming up because of me straining to get up hills. If I had ridden the death parts, I probably would have been ok.

As I was about to load my bike to leave, I encountered two guys in their thirties who said they were never riding in this weather again.

You know what? I thoroughly enjoyed this ride and kicked around the idea of looping back around and taking the short 3 mile trail. A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I like getting bundled up to head outside for exercise. Kudos to you for getting out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 pm 

Being warm and windy today, I was in hopes that one of the trails would open today. It happened, but it was 4:00 when I noticed it.

So, off I went to Isle du Bois at the last minute. Only had time for loops A, B, and C, which took 45 minutes. Had fun. There were others out there with the same idea: to try to get in a quick ride before dark. Did fairly well on the climbs. I even made it up the sand hill for a good part of it, but had to dismount before I made it to the top.

I'm pretty sure that is where I'm going to die someday: going up the sand hill on Loop C at Isle du Bois and having a heart attack. But that's ok. Whoever rides up on me and finds my dead ass will look down and say, "Looks like a kickass time was had."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 am 

Mallard X wrote:
jim jack wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is where I'm going to die someday: going up the sand hill on Loop C at Isle du Bois and having a heart attack. But that's ok. Whoever rides up on me and finds my dead ass will look down and say, "Looks like a kickass time was had."

No one, man. Don't do it :james dean: :brian picolo: :dale earnhardt: :nikki lauda: :sony bono:

Isle du Bois tranlates to Boy's island so watch out for the Oak Lawn Cycling Club riding by should you land ass up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:05 pm 

Took advantage of the weather and rode today. Did a lower-body workout before I left. Rode at Johnson Branch and had a really good time of it.

At the beginning, I encountered a 40-something guy and his wife. He acted like they were experienced riders, blah blah blah. Saw them again later. They had taken a fire road and skipped about 2 miles of trail. Figuring they were just riding the easy parts, I veered off to the advanced trail and forgot about them.

Jumped off the bike to take a piss, and just when I was about to lower my shorts to expose the Hoob salami, around the corner they came. Wow. That was close. After I finished nature's call, I mounted up and quickly ran them down and left them behind. Their vehicle wasn't in the parking lot when I finished, so they took a shortcut and got the hell off the trail.

Got passed by 3 bike douches about a mile from the end. If you are wearing a road racing shirt on a mountain bike trail in Cooke County, you are a bike douche. No changes.

I had a lot of fun today. Made it over every dangerous obstacle without a problem. I'm overdue for a big one, I guess. A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:48 pm 

'Twas 44 degrees when I hit Johnson Branch today. Loved it so much.

For the first time ever, I wore a compression shirt and it worked out pretty well. I could have gotten a UA model for $45 or a Starter brand at Walmart for $15. Yay, Starter. Also wore some gloves that I bought on clearance at the Oakley store for $10. My fingers still got cold and stayed that way for the first 40 minutes of riding. I guess they weren't any improvement over my other ones, but I didn't feel the wind hitting my fingers.

Rode the entire trail and could have gone more if it wasn't so close to dark. Nobody else was on the trail the entire time I was there. No wrecks. Had a blast.

As I was putting away the bike, an old guy was about to hit the trail. He was wearing shorts and a windbreaker. What in the world.

A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

What kind of compression shirt did you get? I layer up with the long sleeve microfiber shirts. Keeps me warm and dry. I also have microfiber long johns. I have some gloves that have metal pads on the index finger and thumb so that you can still use your phone. I like working out in the cold but I hate being cold.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:40 am 

I like being cold but hate working out in the cold!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 am 

TerdFerguson wrote:
What kind of compression shirt did you get? I layer up with the long sleeve microfiber shirts. Keeps me warm and dry. I also have microfiber long johns. I have some gloves that have metal pads on the index finger and thumb so that you can still use your phone. I like working out in the cold but I hate being cold.

Some cheapo Starter shirt. I thought I was going to have to cut it off of me. It worked, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:54 pm 

Went to Isle du Bois yesterday with the intent of getting a ride in. Great weather.

As I topped the hill to get to the parking lot, I noticed it was chock full of canopies, equipment trailers, and booths. I couldn't believe it.

They were having a fucking race.

So, no trail riding. I went a lap on the concrete sidewalk that is a couple of miles long, but just one lap. I was too pissed off. Encountered a butch girl riding on the sidewalk that didn't understand where the trail head was. Resisting the urge to pull down my pants and show her, instead I explained that it was where the booths and crap was.

A kickass time was not had. Go race somewhere in Dallas, fuckers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm 

Didn't really feel like riding today, but I went to Johnson Branch anyhow. Started off really well and was enjoying myself. Made it up a couple of climbs that commonly get me. Would this be the day that I ride the entire trail without touching my foot down once?

About 30 minutes into my ride, I had negotiated the moon rock section, and I was scooting uphill when I hit a rock, lost momentum, and stopped. Noticing the chain on the ground, I thought that I had knocked it off somehow. Odd, I thought. Then I realized why I had stopped and why the chain was on the ground.

The sumbitch was broken.

I was 3 miles from the parking lot. I walked about a half mile on the trail (including carrying my bike through the dead man's curve section), found a fire road, and walked it on in from there. The entire walk back took an hour.

My feet are sore now because those shoes sure as shit aren't hiking boots.

But a kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:56 pm 

Went in to get a replacement chain this morning, was told that it would have to be fitted to my bike and I couldn't do it myself.

Brought in my trusty Trek, expecting to be told that the sprockets were worn out. They had cautioned me about this last summer when I was there. Sure enough, the back one was declared dead. Paid $21 for a new one (called a cassette) plus $10 for labor. When I was done, I had spent $62 with the warning that it might not be fixed. The front sprocket (called a crank) was also worn down.

Went to Johnson Branch and the thing shifted like a mofo. How can replacing a chain make that much difference? Rode all the obstacles, had fun. I did have an off-course excursion on the advanced section and the back of my leg looks like it has an odd tat on it now.

I spent $429 on this bike in 2003, and I bet I've spent $2000 on it since then. I didn't buy it expecting to ride it on these rough trails, but it has done well. This summer I might get another one. I learned today that a 29" tire does much better over death rocks than the 26" like I have. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Did you have a kickass time?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:53 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
Did you have a kickass time?

Mose definitely. A kickass time was had.

This morning I toyed with the idea of driving up there and doing a short ride in this crazy weather just to say I rode once while it was in the 20s. It's sleeting like a mother now, so that dumb idea is out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm 

When my chain broke a couple of weeks ago at Johnson Branch, I walked back on a fire road that I never ride or walk on, ever. I came upon a custom-made wooden bench along the way. It was a memorial for a guy who was 58, and there was a drawing of a man riding his bicycle on it.

I shot a picture of it with my phone and just now remembered that I had it. I looked up his obituary and learned that he was an avid mountain biker and actually got married at a trail, then he and his new bride raced together. Here is a key part of his obit:

Nineteen years later John passed away while engaged in his favorite activity - riding his mountain bike at Johnson Branch State Park.

I wish I knew the story.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Or it could be some weird Twilight Zone thing where you're really dead and ghost Hoob just found his memorial bench.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 pm 

Reminds me of the story, "August Heat," that I read in high school. Where a man walked up on a stone mason who was making a tombstone for a random person, and it happened to be Hoob, I mean, that guy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 pm 

It be neat if the bench was made from the wood of the tree he smashed into that killed him, but i bet it was a simple heart attack.

You know, I can go years working out in the same gym at the same time and recognizing people and never speaking to them. There was a dude probably in his late 50's one morning that I saw all the time that boom! had a heart attack. I was doing squats. The squat rack was next to the fire exit and when the fire dept. wheeled him out he looked dead. I could see the gym workers in the mirrors when I was doing my last set mopping up what I guessed was his last urination. It was weird. Anywho, he never got a memorial bench press or anything. Whoever he was.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 am 

I will not weigh this much when spring break is over.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 34  Next