Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Take Two
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm getting thumb-stomached tomorrow. That other thread bout all that weight lost so long ago? Yeah, didn't take.

It's a long process of hoops to jump through before it happens, I started it all in August (technically I started more than a year ago, but found out insurance wouldn't cover it, so I was finally able to change insurance in August). I had to see a psychologist to see if I was mentally ready, a dietician for obvious reasons, I had to have stress tests, some sort of sonogramish thing to check the veins in my legs, an upper-gi, I had to do a sleep study and have been wearing a cpap machine, and the cherry on top: a colonoscopy. Good times.

I've been on a liquid diet for the last two weeks. I can only have 3 protein shakes a day. Holy shit it's hell. Now I just want them to cut my stomach out to stop this. But the fun thing is all my poop is just liquid black tar. So the bowl always looks freshly Pollocked when I'm done. I'll miss that.

Post subject: Re: Take Two
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Recalling the hoops I had to jump thru just to get a CPAP machine, I can't imagine what you gotta go thru to get a thumb stomach. Still, Godspeed You Black Emperor. Hope it all goes well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Am I the first person to post from in a hospital room?

Surgery went perfectly. Just chilling now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Did you get the actual bypass or the lapband thingie? Or is there even some newer procedure I'm not aware of?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm not sure if anyone does the lapband any more, and it's for moderate weight loss any way. I had a Duodenal Switch is a step more drastic from gastric by pass which is itself a step up from gastric sleeve.

Sleeve takes the stomach and cuts out the kid of "bulge" of the stomach so that it becomes a sleeve. It looks like the esophagus doesn't stop.

Bypass cuts the stomach off almost entirely. Just a small pouch at the end of the esophagus, then connects it to the small intestine, bypassing the rest of the stomach, which is not removed in order to keep producing stomach acid etc.

Duodenal switch starts with a sleeve, but also disconnects the stomach from the small intestine and then reconnects it much farther down the line, so there's less room for absorption.

All of them require the patient to take vitamins for the rest of their lives. The only thing I absolutely, positively have to give up forever are carbonated drinks. The gas that comes from them would wreak havoc in the new tiny-stomach. I haven't drank a soda with any regularity in years. Carbonated beverages includes beer, which I also haven't touched for years, so no big deal. I will miss the special occasion Champagne, though.
I have been told that sugar and fatty foods will give me the runs, so avoid them. Limiting sugar won't be an issue, but all my weight came from a steady fast-food diet so that's gotta go. They say your tastes might change as well. Many people find they don't like red meat any more. Never was a steak guy, so not a huge deal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:04 am 
I'm a tool.

Diello wrote:
But the fun thing is all my poop is just liquid black tar.

Tell us more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Diello wrote:
But the fun thing is all my poop is just liquid black tar.

Tell us more.

You'll be glad to know I had my first bowel movement since the surgery. While it is still charcoal-black, it was nice and solid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:fist: a solid number 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

For two weeks before the surgery and two weeks after the surgery I had to be on a liquid diet. Basically 3 protein shakes a day and maybe soup soup broth. The last two weeks have been "soft foods" so some ground meats, yogurts etc. As of tomorrow I have no restrictions (except for carbonated drinks).

On Christmas Eve, 3 weeks into the liquid diet, I had to pick up pizza from Mr. Jims. Holy motherfucking shitballs that was the most torturous thing I've ever had to do in my life. My car smelled like pizza for days.

Tomorrow I'm having a piece of pizza.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Note: I'll probably only be able to eat a single slice as opposed to eating the entire pizza. Progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The pizza was good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 pm 

:soppy:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I haven't had Mr Jims since the 80s. The closest one to me is in Colleyville, I think. I think I'll pay them a visit this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Down 50 pounds in 2 months. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:13 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:fist:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:fist:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've started hitting the gym the last couple weeks. I'm a big treadmill guy. That's where I've been watching Hawkeye. But I'll be out of episodes tomorrow. So I need suggestions of a show to binge. I can't do anything too heavy like the Wire or Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Something more disposable. I'm thinking of starting the Boys on Amazon Prime, but most episodes are over an hour long. That's a bit too much treadmill time. What have I missed that I should've seen?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mrs. Maisel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Seriously, The Boys is good, and so is Invincible on Amazon Prime. Both are B tier, but worth your time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Mrs. Maisel

Miss Maisel is good except for Miss Maisel. She is the absolute worst part of the show. The best part are both sets of parents, and the Chinese gal is nice to look at.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Has anyone watched Reacher? Looks dumb as shit but fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:32 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Seriously, The Boys is good, and so is Invincible on Amazon Prime. Both are B tier, but worth your time.

Is The Boys okay to watch in Public? I watched the first two episodes of the Peacemaker, not in public, but I wouldn't want to watch that on an ipad at the gym considering there's full doggy style sex plus the violence. Also, I don't want to watch any more of the Peacemaker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:18 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

Is The Boys okay to watch in Public? I watched the first two episodes of the Peacemaker, not in public, but I wouldn't want to watch that on an ipad at the gym considering there's full doggy style sex plus the violence. Also, I don't want to watch any more of the Peacemaker.

It's pretty violent, like exploding heads violent. There's a lot of sex stuff too, so it's not for the gym. But it has other things like babies with laser eyes and a dude with a 20 foot dong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Hit the 75 pound mark today. I've started setting actual goals. Aiming to be down 120 by the end of the school year.

My chosen show for the treadmill for the time being is Atlanta. No surprise that it's a great fucking show.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

After this morning's dump, I am officially down 100lbs since December 4. I can see my penis without a mirror.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:43 pm 
I'm a tool.

Can we see ?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:fist: :weenie: :babyarm:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Can we see ?

The dump? Sure, next time I'll take a picture.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

120 down. Still a long way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:45 am 
I'm a tool.

Good job, dude.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:26 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Surgery was one year ago today.

Attachments:
before and after.jpg
before and after.jpg [ 124.03 KiB | Viewed 1359 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Damn. That's quite the transformation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:01 pm 

Wow. That's great.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:42 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

For the record: we have actually changed the towels since last year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That is quite the progress! :babyarm:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:08 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's taken a year and a half, a lot of hard work, and a crippling amount of debt to be able to say this:

I am overweight.

According to my BMI, I am no longer obese, just overweight. Of course, to get out of the 'overweight' category, I'd have to weigh less than 200 lbs and I don't see that happening. I don't put much stock in it, since considering by BMI, Roman Reigns is obese. But it's nice to be able to say it, nonetheless.

I'm going to be 50 in a few weeks and I currently weigh less than I did when I graduated high school. Worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:22 pm 

:soppy:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:01 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Awesome, D! How are you feeling after dropping all that weight?

I ballooned the fuck out in recent years, but the past 4 months I've been eating right and exercising and I've lost around 45 pounds. I feel so much better just losing that and I'm still well on the obese side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:39 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Congrats, Diello! I am in envy.

Congrats to you too, TW. I put back on a lot of the weight I lost a few years ago. About 6 months ago I decided to address it and lost 15 pounds over the course of a couple of months. I stalled out on weight loss but I haven't put any of it back on. Gonna work on the next 15 soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:

I ballooned the fuck out in recent years, but the past 4 months I've been eating right and exercising and I've lost around 45 pounds. I feel so much better just losing that and I'm still well on the obese side.

That's awesome. When I lost weight 10 years ago, I dropped 35 pounds in those first few months by changing my eating habits. It always sounds so easy, but it's a bitch. I work with a 300 lb lady who works out 5 days a week, drinks gallons of water every day, and eats two different Sonic breakfast sandwiches every morning and doesn't understand why she isn't losing weight. You simply can't work out enough to overcome those calories.

I definitely feel better; joints, feet, back, etc, but more so with the general energy I have and the psychological effect. A student took a picture with me back around Christmas and printed it out as a card for me. It was the first picture I'd seen of myself since high school that I could actually look at without getting depressed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:26 pm 

Diello wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

That's awesome. When I lost weight 10 years ago, I dropped 35 pounds in those first few months by changing my eating habits. It always sounds so easy, but it's a bitch. I work with a 300 lb lady who works out 5 days a week, drinks gallons of water every day, and eats two different Sonic breakfast sandwiches every morning and doesn't understand why she isn't losing weight. You simply can't work out enough to overcome those calories.

I definitely feel better; joints, feet, back, etc, but more so with the general energy I have and the psychological effect. A student took a picture with me back around Christmas and printed it out as a card for me. It was the first picture I'd seen of myself since high school that I could actually look at without getting depressed.

:babyarm:

You said something that is really true and I didn't figure it out until a few years ago: You simply can't work out enough to overcome those calories. I walk 6-8 miles a day while doing my job, and it doesn't overcome bad dietary decisions.

Good job, sir.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
You said something that is really true and I didn't figure it out until a few years ago: You simply can't work out enough to overcome those calories. I walk 6-8 miles a day while doing my job, and it doesn't overcome bad dietary decisions.

That's exactly what the surgery does, it prevents calorie consumption. The first time I lost weight, I had an order of priorities:

1. Eat less
2. Eat better
3. Exercise

In that order. 2 and 3 don't matter if you don't do 1. And for people like me, 1 is the absolute hardest thing. The surgery takes care of 1, but the rest is up to me.