Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thinsgs I'm currently eating or things you ate recently
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Whipped up some bbq goodness for the Super Bowl:

Pulled Pork
Spare Ribs
Jalapeño Sausage
Hot Links
Chicken Legs

The "side" was deviled eggs. We made way too much food. I'll be eating this stuff all week.

Might wanna mix in a vegetable if you ever wanna shit again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Whipped up some bbq goodness for the Super Bowl:

Pulled Pork
Spare Ribs
Jalapeño Sausage
Hot Links
Chicken Legs

The "side" was deviled eggs. We made way too much food. I'll be eating this stuff all week.

Might wanna mix in a vegetable if you ever wanna shit again.

I can assure you that after that feast there was no problem in the shitter the next morning.

As for veggies, there was pickle relish in the deviled eggs, and I topped them with pimentos.

Oh yeah! I also made a batch of Velveeta queso with hot breakfast sausage. Served it with soft pretzel bites. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:34 pm 

I am a big fan of Chick-fil-a's Cobb Salad. A couple of weeks ago, it occurred to me that I could make the same thing:

lettuce, tomato, cucumber, boiled egg, corn, chopped-up chicken strip, and sometimes bacon.

Add croutons and ranch dressing.

Boiling an egg is a pain in the ass, but otherwise it's easy to make. Good eatin'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
I am a big fan of Chick-fil-a's Cobb Salad. A couple of weeks ago, it occurred to me that I could make the same thing:

lettuce, tomato, cucumber, boiled egg, corn, chopped-up chicken strip, and sometimes bacon.

Add croutons and ranch dressing.

Boiling an egg is a pain in the ass, but otherwise it's easy to make. Good eatin'.

I would think frying up a chicken strip would be more difficult than boiling an egg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 pm 

Sorry I didn't answer you, Craig. I cook the chicken strip in the air fryer. Twelve minutes.

Rustling up some catfish in the fryer right now, covered with Louisiana seasoned fry stuff. I could eat that every day forever and not get tired of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 pm 

How long and what temp do you cook the fish?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 am 

400 degrees, 15 minutes. 400 is the max temp for my fryer.

It seems like 400 for 15 minutes is a common setting for stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm 

Saving the forum 1 air fryer recipe at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Sorry I didn't answer you, Craig. I cook the chicken strip in the air fryer. Twelve minutes.

Rustling up some catfish in the fryer right now, covered with Louisiana seasoned fry stuff. I could eat that every day forever and not get tired of it.

Bruh. Eggs in the pressure cooker for 6 minutes, then in an ice bath. Cook 1 or cook 30 at a time, it's still 6 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Ok boys, I need cooking advice. Titette is graduating HS in 3 weeks and we're having a party for her at the house afterward. I got a new grill and the idea has been thrown out to smoke a brisket. I've never done this before. I have a neighbor who says he'll help but he also doesn't know how to smoke a brisket. Together, we REALLY don't know how to smoke a brisket. So I got a big grill and a smoker attachment thingy on the side. I have not bought the brisket so don't ask how much it weighs, though I may have to feed more than 20 people. I got 3 weeks to figure this out. Help me. What do I do?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I got you fam.

First thing: Go buy a practice hunk of meat. Preferably a pork shoulder. You don't want the very first thing you smoke to be a brisket you are serving to guests.
You need to learn your equipment before you tackle one of the hardest things to smoke.

Rule of (my) thumb is 1lb meat per person before cooking. Then add more. You can always give away or freeze what you don't eat.

How are you serving? Sliced? Chopped? If sliced then you will definitely want 1lb+ per person.

Secret to a good brisket: go to Costco and buy a PRIME beef brisket. You can't fuck those up.

It takes 1-1 1/2 hours per pound to cook a full packer at 235-250. Make sure you start your 20 pound brisket a full 24 hours before you serve. It will be fully cooked when the thickest part reaches 203 degrees and is all nice and jiggly. When it's done, wrap in a couple of thick towels and put in a cooler until you're ready to serve. It will stay screaming hot for hours.

Keep the seasoning simple. Equal parts kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. Add a little garlic powder if you want but that ain't Texas so don't.

Wrap when it stalls. By the time it gets to 160 degrees, it will have taken in all the smoke flavor it's going to get. Wrap in foil and throw it in your oven at 235-250 until it's done (did I mention it's going to take a LONG time to cook?)

In summation, do this:

1. Get a PRIME brisket from Costco.
2. Season with a Dalmatian rub. You can rub yellow mustard on it first to help the seasoning stick. Make sure you use plenty of seasoning. A packer brisket is a huge hunk of beef. Season it as such.
3. Smoke at 235-250 until internal temp hits 160-165. Then wrap in foil and put it in your oven at 250.
4. When the temp hits 203, wrap in a couple of thick towels and put in a cooler for at least 2 hours to rest. It can stay in there for 4 and still be too hot to touch though.
5. If serving sliced, make sure you slice properly. The grain on the flat runs 90 degrees to the grain on the point. Watch a couple of videos. Also, use either an electric knife or get an 18" slicer from a restaurant supply store.
6. If serving chopped, triple up on some food save latex gloves and get medieval on it. It will still be too hot to touch so e careful.
7. Get an aluminum pan to hold the meat. It will be a lot. Spend the extra $4 for something to keep it in.

If you have room, smoke a pork shoulder with the brisket. It will be done faster than the brisket but all of the rules are the same. Though instead of a Dalmatian rub you'll want to go with something sweeter. Get a bottle of Daves rub rub if you don't want to make your own.

Also also: the day of, cook up 5-10 pounds of sausage for the vegetarians. If you fuck up your brisket, at least your guest won't go hungry.

Also, you have my number. Call me if you need to!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:babyarm: My man.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:00 am 

Tit Whistle wrote:
:babyarm: My man.

:babyarm: Thanks, Gam. I am planning on doing this, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

So how do I turn this grill thingy on?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:28 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
I got you fam.

First thing: Go buy a practice hunk of meat. Preferably a pork shoulder. You don't want the very first thing you smoke to be a brisket you are serving to guests.
You need to learn your equipment before you tackle one of the hardest things to smoke.

Rule of (my) thumb is 1lb meat per person before cooking. Then add more. You can always give away or freeze what you don't eat.

How are you serving? Sliced? Chopped? If sliced then you will definitely want 1lb+ per person.

Secret to a good brisket: go to Costco and buy a PRIME beef brisket. You can't fuck those up.

It takes 1-1 1/2 hours per pound to cook a full packer at 235-250. Make sure you start your 20 pound brisket a full 24 hours before you serve. It will be fully cooked when the thickest part reaches 203 degrees and is all nice and jiggly. When it's done, wrap in a couple of thick towels and put in a cooler until you're ready to serve. It will stay screaming hot for hours.

Keep the seasoning simple. Equal parts kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. Add a little garlic powder if you want but that ain't Texas so don't.

Wrap when it stalls. By the time it gets to 160 degrees, it will have taken in all the smoke flavor it's going to get. Wrap in foil and throw it in your oven at 235-250 until it's done (did I mention it's going to take a LONG time to cook?)

In summation, do this:

2. Season with a Dalmatian rub. You can rub yellow mustard on it first to help the seasoning stick. Make sure you use plenty of seasoning. A packer brisket is a huge hunk of beef. Season it as such.
3. Smoke at 235-250 until internal temp hits 160-165. Then wrap in foil and put it in your oven at 250.
4. When the temp hits 203, wrap in a couple of thick towels and put in a cooler for at least 2 hours to rest. It can stay in there for 4 and still be too hot to touch though.
5. If serving sliced, make sure you slice properly. The grain on the flat runs 90 degrees to the grain on the point. Watch a couple of videos. Also, use either an electric knife or get an 18" slicer from a restaurant supply store.
6. If serving chopped, triple up on some food save latex gloves and get medieval on it. It will still be too hot to touch so e careful.
7. Get an aluminum pan to hold the meat. It will be a lot. Spend the extra $4 for something to keep it in.

If you have room, smoke a pork shoulder with the brisket. It will be done faster than the brisket but all of the rules are the same. Though instead of a Dalmatian rub you'll want to go with something sweeter. Get a bottle of Daves rub rub if you don't want to make your own.

Also also: the day of, cook up 5-10 pounds of sausage for the vegetarians. If you fuck up your brisket, at least your guest won't go hungry.

Use pecan wood. TRUST.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:53 am 

Cledus wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
I got you fam.

In summation, do this:

Use pecan wood. TRUST.

Use cracked pepper and himilyan pink salt instead of plain ol McCormick or Morton.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Cledus wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
I got you fam.

In summation, do this:

Use pecan wood. TRUST.

Post Oak on a brisket is good stuff. Pecan is good, too, esp on chicken. Use apple or cherry for pork.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Ok let's talk wood chips now. I got your flavors but what's the best way to prep. I'm reading soak in water for 30 minutes but how long does that last? And do I put that on a bed of burning dry chips or charcoal? Charcoal might last an hour but how many bags of wood chips will I need for a 24 hour grilling?

Also I had to post this on my phone because newer, shittier workplace has this place flagged as "Adult Material". Tone it down, fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:49 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Ok let's talk wood chips now. I got your flavors but what's the best way to prep. I'm reading soak in water for 30 minutes but how long does that last? And do I put that on a bed of burning dry chips or charcoal? Charcoal might last an hour but how many bags of wood chips will I need for a 24 hour grilling?

Also I had to post this on my phone because newer, shittier workplace has this place flagged as "Adult Material". Tone it down, fuckers.

Describe your equipment. Then tell me zackly what grill/smoker combo you have.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My equipment is black and hard and gets things hot. I have this grill and this side fire box.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm 

I was under the impression craig had more advice to offer based on your set up, but I guess he was just curious.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:48 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I was counting on a lot more.

Party = ruined

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Okay... not gonna lie, you're taking on a helluva project for a rookie. Your grill and super tight box is a pretty thin guage metal and will not hold your temperature very well. It's okay though since you're not going to use it for the whole cook.

Your small, thin box is going to give you crazy fluctuations in temp. Don't panic. Get a constant burn going and adjust your vents. Let it sit for 10 minutes and check again. Adjust as necessary. If you have a probe thermometer, set it up inside your grill away from the one on the lid. Make sure the probe isn't touching anything. Your box will read different temps in different areas. It's good to have at least two thermometers. The more information you have, the better.

If you're using 100% wood, you'll have to babysit this puppy the whole time you're cooking. You'll want to check your temp every 20-30 minutes. When you get your wood burning, move it to the far side of the box and put your next wood in the near side. You want your wood hot so it won't take as long to catch fire and cause any fluctuations in temp in your grill.

If you're using charcoal, you can probably use the minion method. This is dumping about 10 lbs of charcoal in the box, leveling it out and pouring a few lit coals in the center. The hot coals will light their neighbors, and set of a slow chain reaction to burn over several hours. The more even your pile, the more even your burn. You can also set it up to burn on one side and work its way to the other. The advantage here is that you'll have a more controlled burn and more even temp throughout the cook. You can put in a chunk or two of wood that will burn at different intervals to help with wood flavor. You will have to babysit this as well, but not as much as if you were just using wood alone. If you run out of fuel before you're ready to wrap and move to the oven, just dump some more in. I would suggest after 6-8 hours you can wrap anyway, you'll have some good flavor working by then.

You need a water pan. I'm not taking about a 1" deep cake pan, get a throway aluminum pan that's a few inches deep. This not only keeps the air nice and humid but also helps maintain consistent temps. If all of the water burns off, refill it with HOT water. You don't want your fuel energy going to heating up the water.

If you freeze your meat, make sure you thaw it out COMPLETELY before you start your cook. Use a probe thermometer to check. Especially if you're cooking a pork shoulder. It can be nice and thawed on the outside and the center still be 20 degrees. You'll end up turning the outside to jerky before the center is done.

There is a shit ton of info on the webs. Read the blogs, watch the videos. When all else fails, ask me!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Screw it, I'm just gonna order a bunch of pizzas.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:51 pm 

Be sure and order from a reputable pizza parlor and not one that packs their pies in small, thin boxes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

btw, don't soak wood chips. In fact, don't get wood chips at all. Get CHUNKS. You're cooking a 20lb hunk of meat, not a 4 oz fish fillet.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:

:babyarm: or just put the brisket in the oven. The taste is distinguishable, but you'll be done eating after 10 minutes anyway. After that, you'll be wondering why you gave away your day. It's not worth all the trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

:babyarm: or just put the brisket in the oven. The taste is distinguishable, but you'll be done eating after 10 minutes anyway. After that, you'll be wondering why you gave away your day. It's not worth all the trouble.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Akshually, my dad, Earl, has braised his brisket in the oven for years and everyone loves it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lately I've just been contemplating how much time we spend cooking/cleaning up vs how much time I spend eating, and the ratio doesn't seem like I'm making the best use of my life.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:

I have the same issue. I had this job for 5 years and never had the problem. Left for 2 years, came back in January and I can barely get into the site now. I've had luck with this thread, but when I tried to quote your pizza post, I got the denial. Maybe because you said "screw".

I do not have to wear khakis.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Weird because "screw" is exactly the kind of toning down I requested.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am 
I'm a tool.

IT guys are the worst

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 pm 

cap wrote:
IT guys are the worst

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've decided to not do a brisket for this party. Gam scared me off the idea. Still gonna cook ribs, chicken, burgers, and sausage, but I'm qualified to do those and so is my helpful neighbor who will be manning the grill while I'm at the grad ceremony. I know you're all disappointed in missing out on what should've been an epic dinner wipeout story, but this is too big a moment to ruin with my culinary ineptness.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I was hoping to hear about the pizza order.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sorry to scare you, but you're probably making a good decision. Go with what you know, that way if something unexpected happens you'll be able to adjust.

Good luck with all of your meat!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Party was a great success. The ribs we made we're fantastic. Everyone was pleased. Boners all around. Even the women. We had 4 racks of ribs and we used my neighbor's Traeger smoker, which isn't as fancy as gam's Yoda smoker, but it works about the same. It held all 4 racks of ribs but that's all the room it had. We set it for 160 degrees for an hour then upped it to 225 for 2 hours. Then we took them out, sauced them, and they got crockpotted for 4 hours. Timing was about perfect as they finished up around the time we got back from the grad ceremony. I fired up my grill to cook the rest of my meats with regular charcoal while neighbor man added more sauce and put them back in his smoker to keep them warm. Those shittin things was good. Got real drunk after. A kickass time was had.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:fist: :babyarm:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:52 am 

Tit Whistle wrote:
I fired up my grill to cook the rest of my meats with regular charcoal while neighbor man added more sauce and put them back in his smoker to keep them warm.

Did you utilize the ol’ minion method?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Anyone hear of Cbowl Poke? There's a couple around town. It's basically a bowl of deconstructed sushi. Build your own bowl from a few dozen ingredients. It's damn good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Found myself in Addison last week around lunchtime, so I went to the Yelps and discovered a little place called Super Chix. Holy crapdamn, it was pretty good. Reminded me of Chik-Fil-A before they started sucking. I got the deluxe chicken sandwich and fries with cajun seasoning. 8/10 would go back.

According to the website they only have a handful of locations. Judging by their look they've got some money behind them, and I hope they get bigger. I'd love it if they opened one up in my area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 am 
Site Admin

I went there a month ago or so. Had the memphis hot chicken sandwhich. it was solid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next