Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoob's reviews of eateries that nobody cares about
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:42 pm 

My wife and I sometimes try to pick new places to eat. Most of the time we end up in separate bathrooms at home, pooping out the results.

Today we tried Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Denton. They have two such places in Foat Wuth, so I guess it's nearly a chain.

On the plus side, food was good, they actually put some effort into the tacos, and the sides were good.

The negatives were, it was too expensive ($1.85 for a soft drink), no hots were working there, it was a sports bar atmosphere, and all the furniture was wood. It looked like something I made in the ag shop when I was a kid.

Other interesting items. As is my custom, I carried my Glock in, and there were at least a dozen law enforcement types there eating. I guess I didn't have to do that. Also, the cashier, if cleaned up properly, would have been really attractive. Alas, she had three tattoos on her hand, another on her arm, and looked like she had been on somebody's webcam show until 5:00 this morning.

I think I'll say thumbs up for Fuzzy's Taco Shop. They have a website, http://www.fuzzystacoshop.com.

Post subject: Re: Hoob's reviews of eateries that nobody cares about
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
My wife and I sometimes try to pick new places to eat. Most of the time we end up in separate bathrooms at home, pooping out the results.

Today we tried Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Denton. They have two such places in Foat Wuth, so I guess it's nearly a chain.

On the plus side, food was good, they actually put some effort into the tacos, and the sides were good.

The negatives were, it was too expensive ($1.85 for a soft drink), no hots were working there, it was a sports bar atmosphere, and all the furniture was wood. It looked like something I made in the ag shop when I was a kid.

Other interesting items. As is my custom, I carried my Glock in, and there were at least a dozen law enforcement types there eating. I guess I didn't have to do that. Also, the cashier, if cleaned up properly, would have been really attractive. Alas, she had three tattoos on her hand, another on her arm, and looked like she had been on somebody's webcam show until 5:00 this morning.

I think I'll say thumbs up for Fuzzy's Taco Shop. They have a website, http://www.fuzzystacoshop.com.

so, you carry your Glock around in case a New Years celebration breaks out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Fuzzys is good, but I can go to a tacqueria down the street and get something better for half the price. You should try the burritos.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:30 am 

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:

That's a good way of putting it.

Back in the eighties, I used to work for Oshman's Sporting Goods. I was shocked when we sold every damned box of ammo on December 31. I was so naive that somebody had to explain to me that all of my brown brothers were going to shoot that stuff off at midnight.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:54 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
rowdyhatinwalt wrote:

Back in the eighties, I used to work for Oshman's Sporting Goods. I was shocked when we sold every damned box of ammo on December 31. I was so naive that somebody had to explain to me that all of my brown brothers were going to shoot that stuff off at midnight.

Hoob.

meskins get lazy in their adulthood, and instead of whacking the pinata with a stick, they mow that fucker down.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:57 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
jim jack wrote:
rowdyhatinwalt wrote:

Hoob.

meskins get lazy in their adulthood, and instead of whacking the pinata with a stick, they mow that fucker down.

good god, I'm on a stupid post roll.
F me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:57 pm 

Lately my attempts to try Mexican food have not been good, and many of them have ended up with hard sprints to the restroom. I don't see how places can mess up Mexican food, but we have found a few lately that did.

Saturday we played way out in Sachse, and I noticed a restaurant called Asado's nearby, so we went there before the gig.

The food was good. I had tacos al carbon, and they gave me plenty to eat. They also didn't ruin it by putting sour cream all over it. In fact, it wasn't anywhere on my plate. Sour cream on Mexican food was made for white people to eat and is not a part of authentic Mexican food.

They had a page of expensive foods on one spread (two pages) of the menu, and they had more traditional pricing on another spread. I was able to eat my meal and drink two beers for $16, which is good.

Most of the female wait staff was cute, and they were all friendly.

Thumbs up to Asado's in Sexy Sachse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Lately my attempts to try Mexican food have not been good, and many of them have ended up with hard sprints to the restroom. I don't see how places can mess up Mexican food, but we have found a few lately that did.

Saturday we played way out in Sachse, and I noticed a restaurant called Asado's nearby, so we went there before the gig.

The food was good. I had tacos al carbon, and they gave me plenty to eat. They also didn't ruin it by putting sour cream all over it. In fact, it wasn't anywhere on my plate. Sour cream on Mexican food was made for white people to eat and is not a part of authentic Mexican food.

They had a page of expensive foods on one spread (two pages) of the menu, and they had more traditional pricing on another spread. I was able to eat my meal and drink two beers for $16, which is good.

I live like 5 miles from that place and have never tried it. I'll give it a try sometime soon thanks to the Hoob stamp of approval.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit, just a few miles up 78 and north on Ballard is a nice little mex place tucked away in that old downtown strip. It's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:05 am 

jim jack wrote:

Hmmm, now that I know what band you're in, will have to come listen to you sometime. :-)

For those that are into margaritas, Asado's gives them away free often!

(I personally am liking Desperados right now because they have good food and the music man sang happy birthday to me the other day)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:24 pm 

Have been passing a new place out on 380 called Bubba B's. It's a cajun type place. Since we haven't been to a new place in a month, I took Mrs. Hoob there Saturday afternoon, had a catfish/shrimp platter.

They need to change vendors that supply their catfish and shrimp.

Also, how about some sort of flavoring in the batter? If it's going to be so bland, drop the price. A lot.

We were underwhelmed by the eating experience. I wanted to like them because the staff was so nice to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:30 pm 

Ok, Saturday night I played in Rockwall, so we noticed a small Italian place called Napolis Restaurant near downtown. It was a small mom and pop looking place.

I played it conservative and just ordered spaghetti and it was pretty good. I don't like ordering fancy stuff before gigs because sometimes they have unfortunate gastric results. There's nothing worse than bailing out in the middle of "Louie Louie" because I have to make a run to the crapper.

My friends ordered various dishes and loved them.

So thumbs up to Napolis in Rockwall.

The only negative of the place was, it was BYOB, which was a little strange.

Hoob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:02 pm 

I think I'll rip a well-liked place today: la Madeleine.

If a place is not a traditional eating establishment and has different "rules" for ordering and getting your food, they should make it plain to new customers. For example, Babe's system of ordering and eating food is different, but they tell you that as soon as you set down.

But not these hoitty-toitty French bread baking sons of bitches. If Mrs. Hoob hates you, you suck.

The food didn't come close to matching its price. So F la Madeleine. I have money to spend, but it won't be going there again.

Hoob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:20 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:

If a place is not a traditional eating establishment and has different "rules" for ordering and getting your food, they should make it plain to new customers. For example, Babe's system of ordering and eating food is different, but they tell you that as soon as you set down.

But not these hoitty-toitty French bread baking sons of bitches. If Mrs. Hoob hates you, you suck.

The food didn't come close to matching its price. So F la Madeleine. I have money to spend, but it won't be going there again.

Hoob.

the wifey and i ate at one of those several years ago. i don't have the words to describe how underimpressed we were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
jim jack wrote:

Hoob.

the wifey and i ate at one of those several years ago. i don't have the words to describe how underimpressed we were.

You're both wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Mike Hunt wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
jim jack wrote:

Hoob.

You're both wrong.

no, i distinctly remember being very unimpressed. like hoob and mrs sweet clean hoob, me and the wifey were also a bit confused at first as to how we could actually obtain foodstuffs when we entered.

to be fair, i believe we both had a sandwich of some sort. perhaps there is something else on the menu worth returning for, i dunno. but our experience was enough to keep me from finding out.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:01 pm 

My idea of a dream job:

Pissing in the batter that they use to fry up Stuckey's chicken. Somebody has that job. Or maybe they use a horse to do it. It's nasty.

I thought this chain went away 30 years ago, but a truck stop in Decatur converted from a Church's to a Stuckey's. Same building, same employees. But when they changed the sign, the food changed. I've tried it twice, threw it away uneaten both times.

So, eat at Stuckey's and get gas.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:22 pm 

jim jack wrote:

Hoob.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:26 pm 

My wife brought me home a box of Beer biscuits from Barbeck's, were damn guud.
they say the food is kickass, anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:42 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Barbecs is indeed am good. Make sure bring cash. They don't mess with these new fangled credit cards.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:40 pm 

Good typing by you, towards my eye's into my brain forming happiness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 pm 

The other day a friend dragged me to a little place in Decatur called Moua Asian Cooking. I've driven by this place hundreds of times and never even noticed it. It's mostly Chinese food but they have a few Thai choices, too.

Almost all of the meals cost $7.50. The soup varies. They had egg drop one day, hot and sour the next.

Bring cash. They don't take cards. It's not a fancy place at all, so you wouldn't want to bring a date there.

Big thumbs up to Moua Asian Cooking out in Decatur.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:36 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Have you tried this place?

I don't know how good the food is, but this here is the last sign designed by yours truly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 am 

Ah, yes. It's on my list of things to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 pm 

jim jack wrote:
My idea of a dream job:

Pissing in the batter that they use to fry up Stuckey's chicken. Somebody has that job. Or maybe they use a horse to do it. It's nasty.

I thought this chain went away 30 years ago, but a truck stop in Decatur converted from a Church's to a Stuckey's. Same building, same employees. But when they changed the sign, the food changed. I've tried it twice, threw it away uneaten both times.

So, eat at Stuckey's and get gas.

And now the chicken shack side of this place is closed.

It was a Church's and was busy. But they didn't want to pay the franchise fees to Church's and so they are closed. Crap on them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 pm 

Passing through Decatur today with the wife, we decided to stop at a place called Catfish O'Harlie's. It's been there for about a dozen years so I thought it might have something. My observations:

1. Rude hostess/cashier. Needed a kick to the ass by Raphael Septien while Lance Rentzel watched.

2. Crappy food. Really crappy. If the best thing about your place is the iced tea, you should probably rethink how you do things.

3. No one interested in ringing me out even though a manager was 6 feet away doing "paperwork." Rude hostess/cashier finally came up and reluctantly took my money just as I was about to announce that I was going to leave without paying if no one wanted my money.

4. Really, no one was nice to us the entire time. I'm sorry I inconvenienced these people.

I'm sorry to have bothered you Catfish O'Harlie's in Decatur. I won't bother your piece of crap establishment again.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:03 pm 

I ate there once. fishy fish that sucked balls. The catfish filets were lukewarm and limp and when I bit into the first piece it had that gray slime shit under the batter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've never been to Decatur.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:04 am 

WTF is with most of my recent reviews being out there? Maybe that's my problem.

I went to a different place last night and will post that one sometime. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:15 am 

During gigs at Lone Star, we always got in arguments about the pre-show meal. Usually it meant doing a half-ass setup so we could get a seat at Outback, a place that I hate. Then we'd find something wrong as we were about to begin the gig, pissing me off. One night in disgust I announced, "Screw y'all, I'm walking over to this dirty Mexican place and eating there by myself. See you fags later."

To my surprise (and dismay), my friends followed me in. The place was the Mexicali Cafe on Northwest Highway near Jupiter, one door over from Lone Star. The place doesn't look good at all and I shudder to think about what the kitchen looks like. They did get decent inspection ratings the last time I looked it up.

We loved it. I've never spent more than $10 for a meal. I recommend the chicken taco plate. Big thumbs up to the Mexicali Cafe in Dallas.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:04 pm 

So the Missus drags me to Fuzzy's and we find out that if we go back and refill our drinks, it's a dollar. Really? Your food was colder than your drinks. Please die.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:30 pm 

jim jack wrote:
So the Missus drags me to Fuzzy's and we find out that if we go back and refill our drinks, it's a dollar. Really? Your food was colder than your drinks. Please die.

:babyarm: I don't understand the love for that place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Neither Fuzzy's in Arlington and never paid for a refill. And the grilled shrimp tacos are great.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
jim jack wrote:

:babyarm: I don't understand the love for that place.

I've never been to one but a party I went to had them cater... it was just this side of disgusting.

Maybe they're better fresh but I'll never find out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:33 pm 

Diello wrote:
Neither Fuzzy's in Arlington and never paid for a refill. And the grilled shrimp tacos are great.

:babyarm: ate at one in Arlington and the one by UTD and never paid for refills. (except on beer)
Love the shrimp tempura tacos!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:32 pm 

I misunderstood their $1 refill policy. The rule is, bring your Fuzzy's cup back and get your drink for a dollar.

A Rosa's opened in Denton and I went there today. Meh. Got a taco plate, was nothing special. Well, the speed that it raced through my digestive system was especially special. Damn.

It wasn't very expensive, though, and you get the food fast. I'll probably go back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The wifey and I went to Avocado California something something in Euless today (close to Target). Sushi place. Cheap. Good.

Also there is the King's Buffet that opened next to a new Fuzzy's Tacos on the other side of the highway. Decent place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
I misunderstood their $1 refill policy. The rule is, bring your Fuzzy's cup back and get your drink for a dollar.

A Rosa's opened in Denton and I went there today. Meh. Got a taco plate, was nothing special. Well, the speed that it raced through my digestive system was especially special. Damn.

It wasn't very expensive, though, and you get the food fast. I'll probably go back.

I think Rosa's is pretty solid. I like their salsa bar. Fuzzy's is overrated but if you get one of their burritos they are huge. I think I had the pork one time and I couldn't finish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Admin

I like Fuzzy's more than Rosa's, but Rosa's is cheaper and you get more food for your $$. I love the Crawfish tacos at Fuzzy's, but 3 bites and it's gone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 pm 

The last 2 times I tried Fuzzy's, I was working my way through a burrito and bit into fatty meat and had to suspend all chewing motions as I scrambled in a panic for a napkin to spit in. After that, I can't finish the meal. You know, we're never so vulnerable than when we trust as we blindly chomp into the opaque tortilla of a meat burrito; but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, if we have bitten into a steak, carnita or even chicken burrito only to recoil in disgust as our teeth bounce off the rubbery fatness of gristle, neither can we find love or joy in the burrito. Chew on that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 am 

Cledus wrote:
Diello wrote:

:babyarm: ate at one in Arlington and the one by UTD and never paid for refills. (except on beer)

I met a Cle charachter that noone knows about at Fuzzys in Arlington.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 pm 

VBF wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Diello wrote:

I met a Cle charachter that noone knows about at Fuzzys in Arlington.

Ah yes, "angry burrito eating drunk cle". :violin: he was a good'n :D

Glad the picture is lost, but wish I could have seen it first.