Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wendy Davis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 pm 
I'm a tool.

Is a baby killer

Post subject: Re: Wendy Davis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'd hit it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:12 am 

I bet she just lays there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:22 am 

But I would tear that up like there is no tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have to draw a little face on that mole, though. With the eyes looking the other way. Creepy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I hate any and all talk that devolves into disrespectful/hurtful comments and name calling and I hesitate to even bring this topic up but I had some questions about this whole government shutdown / debt ceiling and I wish there was a simple answer.

I used to be anti-health government care for everyone but I've read a lot of stories where families have gone bankrupt trying to pay for medical procedures that would otherwise cost pennies on dollar out of pocket in other countries. I would love kids and families to be covered but the question that keeps coming up for me is "sounds like a good idea, now how do we pay for it?".

Healthcare is broken and run by corporations and it needs to be fixed but raising the debt ceiling to make sure we all get it just doesn't sound logical. I'm not suggesting we don't raise it, I'm just trying to figure out if we are already in debt, how we can go out and buy more stuff. If it's not apparent already I don't know a thing about economics and I know you can't compare the government to a family's finances but when my wife and kids want stuff, I have to make decisions based on our finances as to whether or not they can have it. When sales are going good at work (I'm talking to you Cap), we get to do more fun things. When sales are slow, I have to say no more often.

Just about everyone here has families and budgets. You can't spend more than you bring in or you'll be in debt. Debt in itself isn't bad we're closing in on 17tril I think. Is there a number for everyone when they say enough is enough?

I was bored and just wondering. Go ahead and delete this mods please.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 pm 
I'm a tool.

effing commie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sounds complicated, which is why I choose to ignore it all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:05 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The debt ceiling doesn't have anything to with the ACA, the issues just happen to come up close to each other.

I'm no govt expert (failed it once in HS even) so I could be off, but I think it goes a little something like this:

The US's fiscal year begins Oct 1. Every year at this time congress passes a resolution to fund the government based on legislation that was passed the previous year. So like, everyone has already agreed on what the government will be paying for, now we just need to write the checks. This normally is a slam dunk deal because of course everything has already been debated in the Senate and House, voted on and passed in both the Senate and the House, signed into law by the President, and in some cases upheld by the Supreme Court. By this time everyone is usually happy because they either got their laws passed or they got something for allowing a law to pass that they didn't like. Everyone's a winner, right? Not this time. This time there are a few dozen members of Congress that were elected based on promises to get rid of the ACA by any means necessary. Normally this means doing things like working behind the scenes cutting deals, attaching legislation to a bill that has a good chance of passing anyway, etc. Hell, it can even be brought up FORTY-ONE times for a vote if you like. OR, you can watch the new laws fail (if they do) and use that to rally your base and get some more folks on your side in congress to vote it out.

So here's what's happening: A couple of weeks ago the Democratic controlled Senate passed a resolution to open the checkbook and fund the govt. This includes the military, contractors and new laws like the ACA. After the Senate passed the resolution it went to the Republican controlled House of Representatives to be passed. But instead of passing the CR (Clean Resolution, same exact thing the Senate passed with NO changes) they stripped out funding for the ACA. When the changed resolution went back to the Senate they shot it down. Then a line was drawn in the sand and no one is budging. A lot of people on the right (the far right) are applauding what's happening, but this is setting a very concerning precedent. This time the stalemate is the ACA but what's next? Abortion? Gay Rights? Civil Rights? What if a small fringe of people get elected based on promises that they will bring back segregation? Seems far fetched to us NOW.

But to your point: How do we pay for it? It can be done. Not spending a couple of trillion dollars in a decade fighting unnecessary wars would be a good start but I'm sure there are other things that can be trimmed. Everyone's taxes can be raised a little. It's a small price to pay to live in a healthy country. That's the way I see it. And for people griping about more taxes, hey that's great, but you've lived with FICA and Medicare taxes all your life. You'll adjust.

The ACA is NOT perfect. Personally I would like to see an actual Universal Healthcare system. But it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully in a couple of years when people realise there aren't really "death panels" and not everyone's premiums shot up 3000% they'll see that the ACA is doing some real good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Reactionary Cods would like a word with you over --->

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:
The debt ceiling doesn't have anything to with the ACA, the issues just happen to come up close to each other.

I'm no govt expert (failed it once in HS even) so I could be off, but I think it goes a little something like this:

The US's fiscal year begins Oct 1. Every year at this time congress passes a resolution to fund the government based on legislation that was passed the previous year. So like, everyone has already agreed on what the government will be paying for, now we just need to write the checks. This normally is a slam dunk deal because of course everything has already been debated in the Senate and House, voted on and passed in both the Senate and the House, signed into law by the President, and in some cases upheld by the Supreme Court. By this time everyone is usually happy because they either got their laws passed or they got something for allowing a law to pass that they didn't like. Everyone's a winner, right? Not this time. This time there are a few dozen members of Congress that were elected based on promises to get rid of the ACA by any means necessary. Normally this means doing things like working behind the scenes cutting deals, attaching legislation to a bill that has a good chance of passing anyway, etc. Hell, it can even be brought up FORTY-ONE times for a vote if you like. OR, you can watch the new laws fail (if they do) and use that to rally your base and get some more folks on your side in congress to vote it out.

So here's what's happening: A couple of weeks ago the Democratic controlled Senate passed a resolution to open the checkbook and fund the govt. This includes the military, contractors and new laws like the ACA. After the Senate passed the resolution it went to the Republican controlled House of Representatives to be passed. But instead of passing the CR (Clean Resolution, same exact thing the Senate passed with NO changes) they stripped out funding for the ACA. When the changed resolution went back to the Senate they shot it down. Then a line was drawn in the sand and no one is budging. A lot of people on the right (the far right) are applauding what's happening, but this is setting a very concerning precedent. This time the stalemate is the ACA but what's next? Abortion? Gay Rights? Civil Rights? What if a small fringe of people get elected based on promises that they will bring back segregation? Seems far fetched to us NOW.

But to your point: How do we pay for it? It can be done. Not spending a couple of trillion dollars in a decade fighting unnecessary wars would be a good start but I'm sure there are other things that can be trimmed. Everyone's taxes can be raised a little. It's a small price to pay to live in a healthy country. That's the way I see it. And for people griping about more taxes, hey that's great, but you've lived with FICA and Medicare taxes all your life. You'll adjust.

The ACA is NOT perfect. Personally I would like to see an actual Universal Healthcare system. But it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully in a couple of years when people realise there aren't really "death panels" and not everyone's premiums shot up 3000% they'll see that the ACA is doing some real good.

:patriot:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:
Lawd, I was born a ramblin' man...

:patriot:

:soppy:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Lock it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
I'm a tool.

Mallard X wrote:
:smile:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

It hairlips me to say it, but I agree with your assessment. Well stated.

or whoever he cut and paste from

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I gotta say I'm liking the new kinder, gentlier Mallard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 am 
I'm a tool.

Mallard X wrote:
Thank you. I'm ashamed of my past transgressions and appreciate that someone like you would give me a second chance. All of you guys are great, otherwise I wouldn't still be hanging around for eleven years now.

Thanks, Ted!

Christians, ie me and ted, are taught to give second chances thanks to the ever glory of Jesus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:24 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I could have just copy/pasted that? :dead:

Last edited by Sweet Greggo on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
I gotta say I'm liking the new kinder, gentlier Mallard.

It proves that with modern medicine anything is possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:54 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
Mallard X wrote:
Thank you. I'm ashamed of my past transgressions and appreciate that someone like you would give me a second chance. All of you guys are great, otherwise I wouldn't still be hanging around for eleven years now.

Thanks, Ted!

Christians, ie me and ted, are taught to give second chances thanks to the ever glory of Jesus.

:D Sometime I can't tell if you are slow or genius.