Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nook vs Kindle - Vivid vs Skyrocket
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:50 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The wife wants an e-reader for Christmas and doesn't want an ipad. She wants a Nook or a Kindle. I went to Best Buy and looked at both of them and they both look solid. They're both essentially a mini-tablet with each having a web browser and ability to play movies and what not. All she wants to do is read books. She doesn't want to store pictures on it, buy music for it, or anything that would require large storage capacity. Just read books and occasionally facebook.

Has anyone had any experience with either e-reader?

Last edited by TerdFerguson on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nook vs Kindle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:22 am 

I got my wife the Kindle Touch 3g and she loves it. I heard it was best to avoid ones like the Kindle Fire because the color has a bad glare. Got it at BestBuy. That place pulls out all the stops for loss prevention. The Kindle was in some kind of protective case like that crystal in Superman's fortress.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have a Nook Color (the older one) and love it. However there are several things to consider:

1. What ecosystem do you want to be in? There is Amazon and there is Barns and Noble. Both have an app for Android, so you don't necessarily have to have a Fire or Nook Color, just a generic Android tablet will do. There are also apps for Android phones and the iPhone, plus you can read on your laptop. Everything syncs together. It should be noted that as of right now there are a lot more books available through Amazon. Your wife should check and make sure with store has the books she likes.

2. Price. The Fire is $200 while the (new) Nook Color is $250. If you're going to spend the extra $50 then you'll really want to make sure the form factor and user experience is worth it. Check some online reviews and video reviews to see both in action.

3. If all she wants to do is read books, NOTHING ELSE, then get her an actual e-reader. They are a LOT lighter and they last for weeks in between charges. Plus they're super portable. Most likely she can slip one in her purse with plenty of room left over. The new Nook is absolutely fantastic. It's got a beveled no slip back that makes it super comfy to hold and the "flashing" during screen refresh is kept to a minimum. It's pretty compact as well. The Kindle is nice, too, and right now you can get one for $80 <-- CHEAP.

As I said, I have the original Nook Color and love it. However if I were to buy either the new Nook Color or the Kindle Fire today I'd lean toward the Fire. Not only do they have more books but they're app selection is larger and to top it off it's $50 cheaper! Plus I think Amazon is going to outlast Barnes and Noble.

BTW, you mentioned you have a TouchPad... dust that sucker off, there is a Kindle app for it. Although it's so heavy it's hard to hold it long enough to read on it :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Admin

TerdFerguson wrote:
The wife wants an e-reader for Christmas and doesn't want an ipad. She wants a Nook or a Kindle. I went to Best Buy and looked at both of them and they both look solid. They're both essentially a mini-tablet with each having a web browser and ability to play movies and what not. All she wants to do is read books. She doesn't want to store pictures on it, buy music for it, or anything that would require large storage capacity. Just read books and occasionally facebook.

If she is anything like her sister, and I believe she is considering they have periods at the same time, she will read 2 books and it will sit on the dresser until you decide to dust it off and read Bob Sturm's Mavericks book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:

If she is anything like her sister, and I believe she is considering they have periods at the same time, she will read 2 books and it will sit on the dresser until you decide to dust it off and read Bob Sturm's Mavericks book.

I know that's exactly what's going to happen. I'm just going to get her a library card.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:53 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
I have a Nook Color (the older one) and love it. However there are several things to consider:

1. What ecosystem do you want to be in? There is Amazon and there is Barns and Noble. Both have an app for Android, so you don't necessarily have to have a Fire or Nook Color, just a generic Android tablet will do. There are also apps for Android phones and the iPhone, plus you can read on your laptop. Everything syncs together. It should be noted that as of right now there are a lot more books available through Amazon. Your wife should check and make sure with store has the books she likes.

2. Price. The Fire is $200 while the (new) Nook Color is $250. If you're going to spend the extra $50 then you'll really want to make sure the form factor and user experience is worth it. Check some online reviews and video reviews to see both in action.

3. If all she wants to do is read books, NOTHING ELSE, then get her an actual e-reader. They are a LOT lighter and they last for weeks in between charges. Plus they're super portable. Most likely she can slip one in her purse with plenty of room left over. The new Nook is absolutely fantastic. It's got a beveled no slip back that makes it super comfy to hold and the "flashing" during screen refresh is kept to a minimum. It's pretty compact as well. The Kindle is nice, too, and right now you can get one for $80 <-- CHEAP.

As I said, I have the original Nook Color and love it. However if I were to buy either the new Nook Color or the Kindle Fire today I'd lean toward the Fire. Not only do they have more books but they're app selection is larger and to top it off it's $50 cheaper! Plus I think Amazon is going to outlast Barnes and Noble.

BTW, you mentioned you have a TouchPad... dust that sucker off, there is a Kindle app for it. Although it's so heavy it's hard to hold it long enough to read on it :/

I played with the $250 Nook and $200 Fire and they're both pretty nice. I was gonna buy the Nook but no one has them which was kind of a good thing since it gave me to time to research. I like the touch-screen vs the buttons on the side that the less expensive e-readers have and the ability to read magazines in kick-ass color (I can get my Golf Digest on them) is pretty cool. With the e-reader wars begun they have, I too think Amazon will win out. I think the Nook is a better piece of hardware but investment wise the Fire will last a lot longer. And yeah I have a touch pad but it's already gathering dust somewhere. I have a computer and an iphone. I don't need something in between. Craig is right. The ipad will pass.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I love meh Kindle. I got one of the older keyboard ones, and I read a shitload more now that I have it. That's mainly because it's so easy to get your books for free. I've only bought one book since I got it. Everything else is available for the taking provided you're an asshole scumbag like me. Also, it fits neatly into my back pocket, so I can walk around with it without anyone knowing I'm about to go take a dump. You can't do that with a real book.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:17 pm 
I'm a tool.

TerdFerguson wrote:

i got my mother the colored kindle and she loves it. It has games for the boys and she has all her books. it serves her well

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:
colored kindle

Does that mean it's stolen?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 pm 

Smite Boy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

$5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:32 pm 

I got the Kindle Fire for the daughter.....it looked cool, and has a cool beat you can dance to. I dont read so....the last book I read was Miracle Man Nolan Ryan in 1995 and before that was McMahon, Autobio of Jim McMahon in 1987. Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 am 

or somesuch wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:

Every year I tell the parents not to get anything for me for Christmas but every year they do. Got a Kindle this year. Well, really a Nook but I exchanged it and just finished Sturm's littly Mavvy book. Not a bad read. Look out Mike Lupica.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:14 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
or somesuch wrote:
TerdFerguson wrote:

Every year I tell the parents not to get anything for me for Christmas but every year they do. Got a Kindle this year. Well, really a Nook but I exchanged it and just finished Sturm's littly Mavvy book. Not a bad read. Look out Mike Lupica.

I got a Kindle Fire too and I dig it. Comics are much awesomer on it than on my laptop. And I can't wait to watch baseball on it.

Post subject: Re: Nook vs Kindle - Vivid vs Skyrocket
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I edited the subject as I'm dang near close to getting a new phone. Went to BB today and was going to pull the trigger on the Vivid but they were out so I have to go to the one in Allen tomorrow. Anyone have a compelling reason why I should go with the Skyrocket? The photos, the video, the sound, just about everything about the phone blows the iphone away. Not only that, you can expand memory on the fly with an SD card. I also found out that porting your itunes library over is a snap. Eff Apple.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

TerdFerguson wrote:
Eff Apple.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Posting from my new phone. I was an apple douche for the longest time and it was a great phone and I can't say anything negative about it but now seeing what droid can do on an HTC, I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm not phone nerd but I dig my droid. I've seen what the iphone can do and I just plain like the droid better. So there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:30 pm 

Tit Whistle wrote:
I'm not phone nerd but I dig my droid. I've seen what the iphone can do and I just plain like the droid better. So there.

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My 1st gen Kindle Fire was having some problems charging, so I bought a Fire HD. The new interface and browser are much improved. I can finally get my gmail on it. Typing is easier (though still kind of a whip.) I bought another for Mrs. Tit for the upcoming Christian Pagan Festival holiday. She doesn't know so don't tell her.