Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forum Book Club
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's a pretty big undertaking but worth it so far. They can be dense with the descriptions of clothes and feasts, but not as bad as Tolkien. Book 3 is the best. That one is chock full o' awesomeness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:26 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Finished The Wind Through the Keyhole, an additional book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Not a bad little read, but I have no idea why this needed to be a Dark Tower entry. Basically, it has the characters telling each other stories. They could've been included in a short story anthology and we'd have been none the wiser.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:28 pm 

I read his book On Writing about a month ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:38 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

That book is practically a bible to fiction writers. It's gotta drive a certain segment crazy since a lot of critics think he's a hack. (I disagree.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I read "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" last night to my daughter. He loves him some jam on his muffins. He's silly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

If you like those, might I recommend the dog/donut, cat/cupcake books by the same author. It's the same in that when you give the animal their food of choice, they keep asking for other things. :click:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am 

About a month ago on a triannual family visit, I found out a bud I grew up with was in the clink and looking at 25 years. It was as shocking as hearing about a death. Been on the mind a lot. Been reading a lot of prison related books lately. One I really liked was You Got Nothing Coming: Notes From a Prison Fish by Jeremy Lerner. This guy was pretty funny. Good read.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm about halfway through Under the Banner of Heaven by the great Jon Krakauer (Into Thin Air, Into the Wild) and I've come to one conclusion already: fundamentalist Mormons are some crazy motherfuckers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm 
I'm a tool.

Have your wife read 50 shades of gray. THat makes them horny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I have actually read two whole books this Summer:

World War Z -- Figured this would be high on the TW Book Club list. It's dozens of accounts from around the world of the Zombie War, all told 12 years after the end of it. Zombie stuff generally bores me because there's nothing new anymore. The Walking Dead interested me only in that it's a TV show and not a movie. I like the idea of it going on and on, but I didn't stick with the show nonetheless. But the thing I liked about this was the global scale of it and how it changed the world. Politics, religion, economics, etc. Every country handled things differently and mix that with gory accounts of zombie fun and you get something a little new. Good read. Also <350 pages and most accounts don't go on for more than 10 pages, giving plenty of stopping points if you need them.

Ready Player One -- Ridiculously fun book. And veeeerrrry nerdy. Most people conduct their lives within a MMORPG simulation called the OASIS, they go to school, conduct business, etc. But also within the OASIS are thousands of worlds of quests and adventures spanning every game genre. The founder and owner of it dies with no heirs and leaves a series of puzzles behind. Whoever can solve it first will get his fortune ($250 billion) and company. This sets off a frenzy of people searching the OASIS for keys and gates. A ruthless corporation with unlimited resources works to find the answers before any individual can. The main character is a kid living in the stacks (trailer parks have gotten so large with the crumbling economy that trailers are now stacked atop each other, Lego-block style) outside Oklahoma City. It teeters on the edge of masturbatory fantasy as the references are obviously the random things the writer is into and not what the rest of us nerds would like. But it does well with lots of D&D, Zork, and other early dork references. At one point, the main character has to play a first-person simulation of War Games. He has to know every line and even gets bonus points for the right inflection. By the end, it becomes massive battles in the OASIS mixed with loads of intrigue and trickery in the real world. It's not Gravity's Rainbow obviously, but it's still a lot of fun. I read the last half of the book in one sitting, which I never do. I'm a 20-30 page at a time reader. This is around 375 pages so not a big investment of time. The first 50 pages were fine, but it kicks into high gear after that. Good dorky times.

I have found that 400 pages is probably my max. Anything more than that and I will never finish. I have Game of Thrones and the Shining by the bed and got maybe halfway through each of them before just kind of stopping. And I can't pick them up later because I will have forgotten the first half pretty much all together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I read WWZ a few years ago and it's a fun little read. It's one of the only zombie-related entertainment things that takes a look at how fucked up everything would be if we were overrun by zombies, despite how awesomely cool they are. The Zombie Survival Guide by the same author is also good to read and have around, ya know, just in case.

You had me at Zork with the other book. I'm checking that one out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Fight through the first part. It's a first-time author so there's a curve. I started to want to read more when he found the first key.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I just finished the third game of thones book. That one was the best one yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
I just finished the third game of thones book. That one was the best one yet.

:babyarm: The 4th one isn't as good because it doesn't check in with a handful of characters, but the 5th is supposed to be a return to form. I got maybe a dozen chapters into the 5th before I had to take a break from it all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:27 pm 
I'm a tool.

Have ya'll finished the 3rd Shades of Grey book?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Stop pretending you know what a book is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:59 pm 
I'm a tool.

I know The Book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:22 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Cap, you're Shades of Grey books started out as Twilight fan-fiction. I need to amend the cap facebook blog to the further evidence of cap eating balls blog.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Stop pretending you know what a book is.

In his circle they're called "kindling".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
Fight through the first part. It's a first-time author so there's a curve. I started to want to read more when he found the first key.

I'm about 50 pages into it right now and I like it. My only problem is this is set 30 years into the future and they're talking about how people are still playing Deathmatch and Capture the Flag games. There's no new lingo, and everything seems like what we currently have but with better graphics. It comes off as anachronistic to me. If they don't keep inventing new shit, the future won't be as cool as you'd imagine. Still digging the book so far, though. But these little things take me out of it.

This post was just an excuse for me to use the word 'anachronistic'.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

They get more into the tech of it when they talk about the haptic/total immersion rigs people with money have. And mainly how day-to-day activities are conducted in the OASIS. It seems like school itself would be so much better with this tech. Kids can't talk unless the teacher lets them, etc.

Looking to the future is always tough in sci-fi. Consider, though, we've been playing death-matches and capture the flag for a long time now. I'm sure it existed before, but I remember it first on Goldeneye in the mid 90s. He could've come up with a few new ways of playing. But that stuff doesn't come into play much in the rest of the book any way.

My problem with the first part was the over-explaining of the references. I don't need footnotes to tell me Dead Man's Party is an Oingo Boingo song. But that stuff goes away, too.

I usually don't like it when someone gets overly referential (it's why Family Guy is very hit and miss for me). It smacks of unoriginality. But I liked it here because he went completely over the top with it and made no bones about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:31 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It went to a whole new level for me when it got to Tomb of Horrors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:37 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Was that the place with the first key and Joust?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:41 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Yes. It harkened back to my days as an 11-year-old D&D nerd.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Exactly. That's when it took off for me, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 pm 
I'm a tool.

What is D&D?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Dumb and Dumberer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Finished Ready Player One. It's not great literature but it's a shitload of fun. Like Diello, I zipped through the last half in almost one sitting. Thanks for the recommendation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Fuck the Sux0rs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Just finished book 4 of got. While not near as good as three it doesn't deserve the bad reviews it gets online.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
I'm a tool.

that one sucks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm 

Sweaty Palms: The Neglected Art of Being Interviewed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 pm 

Fuck. Just fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:23 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Finished a book called The Passage by Justin Cronin. The government fucks up an experiment and these nasty vampire-like creatures are unleashed. They're all animal-like and not at all sparkly. Society is destroyed save for a couple small pockets of humanity. It's pretty good, but also kinda long. There's a sequel and I'll read that sometime soon, though not right away. Kinda fatigued from it all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm 
I'm a tool.

So, it's like Twilight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You farted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

On weekends I work as a janitor at a local college and sometimes I'll see half of an equation and I'll just figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson -- On a nerd-lit kick after WWZ and Ready Player One and had heard good things about this, plus Spielberg was going to direct the movie version (which has now been shelved indefinitely). I was turned off when I see "ingenious" in the blurbs on the cover when it's essentially WWZ with Robots. Seriously. It's the retelling of the Robot Uprising and New War after the war has ended. I don't mind the copying, I just hate when that gets called "ingenious". But the book is still good. More action-oriented than WWZ, and more of a straight-forward story. There's a 5-10 charcters or groups that we follow around the world instead of every chapter being about someone new. The ending is a little meh, but it was a quick, fun read. Right at 400 pages. Good book for a trip.

:robot: :robot: :robot: out of 4.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries - Neil deGrasse Tyson

:goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar: :goldstar:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My brain hurts just reading that title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

:antibabyarm: The title is misleading. NdGT (that's what we call him in the scientific community) breaks it down to where normal humans can understand and also not feel stupid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next