Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tit Whistle watches all the Best Picture winners
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Looking over the list, it'd be really fucking hard to get thru. Fortunately, the 3rd winner, Inchon, has never been released on video, so no one can do it even if they wanted to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Go backwards and we'll find a way to get it. I've only seen 7 of them and they're pretty bad, but if you can get through Crash a 2nd time ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I think Stu would be the better person for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Pfffffft ... He can't be counted on. He is the Lebron James of the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I need to watch real movies for a while. Ones where I have the right to shut it off if I don't like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Looking over the list, it'd be really fucking hard to get thru.

Color of Night would make the whole effort worthwhile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:

I was thinking I was more like Jim Spanarkel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I found what I can do for a followup: 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:57 am 

Tit Whistle wrote:
The King's Speech - In some ways it's appropriate that we end here with this film. If we've learned anything along this journey it's that while the Best Picture winner is rarely the best film of the year, it at least is a reflection on where we were and how we were feeling as a people at that particular moment in time. Going My Way comforted everyone in the middle of a huge war. Around the World in 80 Days allowed us to celebrate new technology. Midnight Cowboy gave us the chance to finally explore the darker side of ourselves. Each movie was picked for a reason, whether we agree with it or not. And even if many choices seem silly now, with few exceptions, you can't really argue with how people were feeling at that time. I don't know how The King's Speech will reflect on us as time passes, but I'm guessing they'll look back and think we needed a nice warm blanket to snuggle into, especially after the dark times that led to wins by The Departed, No Country for Old Men, and The Hurt Locker, not to mention the depressing rejection of a progressive attitude toward homosexuality that led to Crash receiving a more notable place in history than it deserved. The King's Speech is a safe and comfortable retreat featuring everything Oscar loves: historical characters, the British, royalty, a handicap, overcoming the odds, and Nazis. All it's missing is a kid dipped in shit. It's a good movie, but hardly a great one. It has great performances, but it feels like a standard BBC production of Stuff Americans Care About If They Want to Look Smart. Maybe that's where we are right now. We just want to look smart.

Did it deserve to win?: It wasn't as awesome as Inception, which would be my pick. The Social Network is better also, but it's too cold for these times. I haven't seen The Fighter, Black Swan, or True Grit yet, but I hear they're all better, too. Not a bad year for movies, but a bad choice for a winner. And I have no idea what Tom Hooper did that's so great to win Best Director. He's the new John G. Avildsen.

:ghostking: :ghostking: :ghostking: (out of 5)

*beats Stu to death with bowling pin*
*collapses in heap on floor*
I'm finished!

Good movie but it really felt like during the beginning of the therapy sessions that Lionel was going to draw out some kind of ghastly confession from the King about a childhood trauma which caused the impediment--like getting dipped in shit or being butt raped like so much Nolte in Prince of Tides. Instead, it seemed he only suffered from a mean nanny and the pressure of royalty. What a Nancy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Them Brits are tough 'uns, ain't they?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:38 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

83/83

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

50/83

I probably couldn't have hit 30 before you started this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:30 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:39 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Hamlet - It's kinda unfair to go after Oscars when you're working on a version of Hamlet. You already have a kickass story. If you get some good actors and some competent production values, you can get fitted for your tux while the thing's still in the editing room. That's about what happened here. It's Laurence of Olivier's show. He directed and starred, and managed to grab Best Actor. He's as good as you'd imagine he'd be, especially starting halfway through once Hamlet goes apeshit. It's kinda dull while he mopes around, but it's a lot of fun when he's rhymin' and schemin'. Directing-wise, he makes a few interesting choices with shots and camera movement, but mostly he keeps the camera still and lets the actors do their thing. One scene I did like was the play-within-the-play. Normally, Hamlet describes the action, but here, the scene is entirely silent. We can see what's happening. No explanation is needed. They let it unfold with nothing but action and reaction shots. It's also a nice respite from the dense dialogue. I could've used subtitles on this one, but I streamed it through Netflix and they don't offer that yet. Sometimes it wasn't easy to understand what they were saying, but the plot machinations were still easy to follow. Don't ask me how it compares to other filmed versions of Hamlet because I don't know.

Did it deserve to win?: It won Best Picture but The Treasure of the Sierra Madre won Best Director. Usually that means they were 1 and 2 and pretty close. I've seen both now and enjoyed Sierra Madre more. It and The Red Shoes are still widely-considered and viewed while no one talks much about this version of Hamlet, so no, it probably didn't deserve it.

The Red Shoes comes on tonight. 8:45. I've seen it, and it's ok, but doesn't get an official recommendation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:20 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We're waiting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

When does it come out on video?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

Stu wrote:
or somesuch wrote:

I was thinking I was more like Jim Spanarkel.

after everything it ended up being Melvin Turpin :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Diello alerted me to this one. Actually, I knew about it way back when but didn't watch it since it belonged in a grey area. He pointed me to a Rotten Tomatoes ranking of the critical response to all Best Picture winners which now lists 85 instead of 84, and I'm not going to argue with the Rotten Tomatoes people. At the first awards show, they essentially awarded two Best Pictures: Wings won Outstanding Picture, Production while Sunrise won the Unique and Artistic Production award. The difference is basically between awarding Best Crowd Pleaser vs. Best Art Film. They dropped the separate categories the next year and Wings has historically been considered the winner, but let's be fair here: They gave out two awards the first time out, so Sunrise deserves a look. It's another silent, and directed by the German Expressionist F.W. Murnau, whose most famous film is 1922's Nosferatu, which remains creepy 90 years later. Sunrise lacks a lot of the oddness in set design that I've seen in the handful of German Expressionist films I've films, but those are all horror films and this is a love story. Still, it has it's share of artsiness, for example, the characters have no real names. They're just The Man, The Wife, etc. Keeping it simple makes it all metaphoric and parable-ish. The man is a simple farmer and he is seduced by a vacationing hussy from the city. She convinces him to come to the city with her but first he needs to kill his wife and make it look like a boating accident. He takes his wife out there on the water but can't go through with it. She sees his intentions, however, and runs the fuck away when they reach the shore. They flee to the city where he tries to prove to her that he still loves her. It's a nice story, and you root for these kids despite how crazy violent the man can get at times, but that's more of the silent film overacting of the time. More unique is the camera tricks that set it apart from other films of the time. There's lots of use of dissolves and superimposing, some of which are really cool like the hussy fading in and wrapping her arms around the man. I also liked how chaotic the city was with people walking and cars driving in every direction. Imagine driving to work with no stop lights or lines on the road and no one giving a shit and you have city travel in the 1920s. It's used for a scary moment when the wife wanders grievingly into traffic and the cars just miss her. It's worth a reminder that back then they had to do everything for real, so this was a really cool tracking shot that was probably a pain in the ass to choreograph. They did a similar shot after the two reconcile which loses some impact because it's obviously filmed in front of a screen, but by switching backgrounds on the screen, they were able to convey a more complex emotion behind the scene. So I liked this movie a lot. It had some silliness at the end of the 2nd act that reminded me of the drunken time waste in Wings, but otherwise it's a strong, emotional film that was pushing the limits of film technology of the time.

Did it deserve to win?: Best art film? Yeah, sure. The better question is "Is it better than Wings?" and the answer is a slight yes. Again, it comes down to comparing two completely different films. Wings had those amazing dogfight scenes but it's essentially a crowd pleaser. Sunrise had a more resonant message. Maybe it was best that they had separate categories and would've been nice if they continued it to this day. That Sunrise has been shoved aside historically is telling. It wouldn't be the first time flash won over substance

:diello: :diello: :diello: :diello: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Artist - Uh-oh, looks like someone found a gimmick. The thing about a gimmick is that it makes people think that there's much more going on here than there actually is. The story is about a silent film star who turns his nose up to the new "talkies" and sees his career go into the toilet. It's all done in the style of an old silent movie, so there's the gimmick. It works for a short time but gets old fast. At first, it's fun to watch the lead, Jean Dujardin, do his thing. He nails the broad emoting of the early film actors and pulls off some Chaplinesque moves like a natural. I'm cool with him winning Best Actor because not everyone can do what he did. Unfortunately, he only gets to show off like that for a short time before the plot kicks in and the fun stops. The biggest problem is the story isn't exactly original. We've seen the King of His Shit fall many times only to learn from his experience and pick himself back up by the end. The silent movie stuff only masks the simple, predictable story for so long. Between an energetic first act and an admittedly nice ending, there's not a lot to keep this thing going for an hour and a half. This may have worked well as an experimental short film, but it's stretched way too thin at feature length. Without the gimmick, no one would've thought twice about this movie.

Did it deserve to win?: The only reason it won was because the Weinstein boys were behind it and they marketed it as something greater than it is. I didn't see a lot of movies from last year, but The Descendents, Moneyball, and Hugo were all much, much more deserving.

:bus: :bus: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:17 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I watched Argo. It was pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:50 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Hobbit - Why all the hate? I dug it. I haven't read the book in 10 or so years so I don't know how faithful it is. As far as looks and pacing it fits right in with LotR. Should be a really good set of movies when it's all over with.

Still though... 3 movies? Probably could have been just 2.

:gammy: :gammy: :gammy: 1/2 outta 5

btw, fuck those eagles for dropping them off 20 miles from the mountain. Thanks for nothing, guys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Star Trek into the Darkness - I enjoyed the lack of lens flare. The dude that plays Kirk is seriously ugly. Uhura is fucking hot though. This wasn't as good as The Wrath of Kahn.

:alien: :alien: :alien: outta 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Admin

I don't remember those movies winning Best Picture.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:56 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

thread = ruined

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 am 
I'm a tool.

dammit, gam!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

This is on me. I shouldn't have started the thread in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:32 am 
Site Admin

In hindsight, yeah. It bought the forum another year or so, but it just prolonged the pain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

wth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It's been a long time since I've seen Being There, but I loved it back then. It gets extra points from me for showing part of the Basketball Jones video. When I was about 11, someone explained the final shot to me and the reason he walks across the lake is "because no one ever told him he couldn't." I don't know if that's true or not, but it's been a tough point to unlearn all these years and I always watched the movie with that in mind. It may have skewed my viewings inappropriately. People can be real bastards to kids sometimes. And Hal Ashby made some great films in the 70s. He fell off a cliff after Being There, but his work is worth exploring.

I have never seen The Loved One.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Another ranking of all the best picture winners.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I got 40. Nobody here can beat that score. NOBODY!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Haven't seen 12 Years a Slave yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

37 for sure, but in a weird way, I'm not sure if I've seen Sound of Music or West Side Story. I know I've seen most of those two and could tell you what they're about, but I've never sat down and watched them start to finish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

I know I haven't seen them but I feel like I have since they are so referenced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:57 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You guys should watch them all. It's a rewarding experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:02 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've seen 40 as well.

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:

That sounds like a dumb thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

That sounds like a dumb thing to do.

You just cut me deep, somey.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

33, and I don't feel like I'm really missing anything in my life.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

33, and I don't feel like I'm really missing anything in my life by not having seen more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next