Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tit Whistle watches all the Best Picture winners
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I thought this was a lifetime achievement award. Kind of like Return of the King was a salute to the trilogy as a whole.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

I like a lot of movies from 2006, but nothing blows me away. If you're not going to give it to Snakes on a Plane or Borat, then the Departed is as good as any.

I'm one of the 10 people who liked Babel. I also really liked Blood Diamond, Children of Men, Little Miss Sunshine, Stranger than Fiction and Pan's Labyrinth.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I forgot about Blood Diamond. That was good. Little Miss Sunshine was a good comedy but I don't know how well it holds up.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

No Country for Old Men - I don't know if this is true for everyone or just me, but nearly every Coen Brothers movie requires more than one viewing before I truly see its genius. This goes for all of them, even the ones that are considered undoubted classics. Raising Arizona, Fargo, Big Lebowski...I enjoyed all to various extents on first viewing, but repeated viewings revealed to me their start to finish genius. I've seen Blood Simple and Miller's Crossing once each. They're good movies. I'm sure if I gave them another glance my esteem would increase. Maybe I'm just slow, I dunno. Certainly could be. It doesn't really matter. No Country was the same deal for me. I didn't catch it until it was released on DVD. I heard all the kudos of it being on par with Fargo, and I certainly looked forward to seeing it. First time, I thought it was a good movie but it didn't strike me as great. It lacked their usual quirkiness and in fact was stone sober, which threw me off. But let's admit something: when a filmmaker makes a different film than what you were expecting, that's your problem and not theirs. And I needed to approach this movie on their terms and not mine. Fortunately, it stuck with me and stayed in my brain, so I was ready to give it another go soon after. I've watched it about half a dozen times now and it's become one of my favorite movies of all time, just like Fargo, Raising Arizona, and Big Lebowski. It's an immediate stop down when it's on cable. It's atypical Coen Brothers in that it's missing the aforementioned quirkiness, which may be a bit of maturity for them since there's plenty of opportunity with some minor yokel characters. I'm glad they didn't go for that as it may have ruined the intensity of the entire film. It's all about the money, as usual for the Coens, as a resourceful Vietnam vet tries to stay a step ahead of one of the most evil dudes ever, all while a local sheriff follows their trail and realizes the world is moving beyond him. It's the sheriff's story, even if the action occurs when he's not present and he himself doesn't show up in the first 30 minutes of the film. As the bodies pile up, and there's a shitload of them here, he ponders his place in the world and his own mortality. A nice sense of dread permeates the entire film and never lets up. It's kind of like the last 10 minutes of Unforgiven stretched out to 2 hours. I think this is a great, great film. If you disagree, watch it again. You'll come around.

Did it deserve to win?: Yes. There are some near equals in Zodiac and There Will Be Blood, but those are each slightly flawed and No Country is perfect so it wins.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (out of 5)

Up next:
Slumdog Millionaire

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:26 pm 

It seemed like a lot of people at the time had trouble with how it ended but I thought it was bad ass.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It is greatness.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The ending is abrupt, but that's also how the book ends, and they were very faithful to the book. This is also the movie that got me to start reading Cormac McCarthy, so there's another good thing about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Diello wrote:
It is greatness.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Slumdog Millionaire - There's a lot of talk each year about Oscar bait movies. Regardless of the quality of the film, if it features stuff like Nazis, the handicapped, Limeyness, ornate costumes, etc., it'll be considered for an Oscar. I've noticed another potential piece of Oscar bait. It's not a trend yet. We need one more winner before it becomes a trend. It's just something to watch out for. If you want to win an Oscar, your movie should have...a kid dipped in shit. It worked for Schindler's List, and it worked again for Slumdog Millionaire. I kinda fear it happening again because they've upped the gross ante each time. Schindler's List's kid was in black and white and it was a horrible image given the context. Slumdog's kid is in full, vibrant color and he's completely doused in the disgusting goo of a thousand digested curries. It's absolutely puke-inducing. And the kid wasn't even trying to escape the Nazis. He just wanted a movie star's autograph. That's dedication. Slumdog 1, Schindler 0. As for the rest of the movie, it's a high energy fairy tale about an Indian slum kid who wins big on the India version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? The story is told mostly in flashbacks as the grown kid tries to explain to an investigator how he knew the answers to all the questions on the show. You see not only how he knew all the answers, but how he grew up, his relationship with his brother, the girl he loves, and the circumstances which led him to appear on the show in the first place. The energy and creativity of director Danny Boyle make this movie a lot of fun to watch. It doesn't flinch from the horrible living conditions in India, but it also doesn't wallow in the filth (shit kid notwithstanding.) The kids stay positive as they're surviving so the movie doesn't get all depressing like an American inner-city story would. This is a fairy tale about fate and destiny. It tells a tough story while keeping things upbeat. What I admired most about is that it's feel-good without being all Rocky rah-rah. He wins the money, but the money is never really considered. He's more concerned about the girl. They reunite and it's a happy ending. He's a millionaire now too, but really, who cares? He got the girl despite the fact that he probably still smells like shit.

Did it deserve to win?: In 2008, the prestige movies were underwhelming and the big blockbuster fun movies were pretty damned good. Slumdog wasn't perfect, but it was definitely among the best movies of the year. If they're not gonna give it to The Dark Knight or Tropic Thunder, Slumdog is probably the next best thing. Plus it had a kid dipped in shit.

:terd: :terd: :terd: :terd: (out of 5)

Up next:
The Hurt Locker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:45 pm 

John Rambo might've been the first character in film to be shit dipped. Although it didn't help the First Blood franchise, it is pretty neat that other directors saw the potential impact of the scene and took it a step further.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 pm 

Also, that Paper Planes song by MIA is maybe gay but catchy all the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I thought it was decent. Give me Milk, Frost/Nixon or Step Brothers.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
John Rambo might've been the first character in film to be shit dipped. Although it didn't help the First Blood franchise, it is pretty neat that other directors saw the potential impact of the scene and took it a step further.

Rambo was dipped in shit, but he was a grown up. The Academy is looking specifically for kids.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:

That song is not gay. That song is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Paper Planes is awesome and so is Slumdog.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I had The Hurt Locker at the top of my Netflix queue, but it was bypassed twice for the 2nd and 3rd movies on the list, one of which is The King's Speech which came off as some cruel cosmic joke right at the end of arduous ordeal. I mean, I can't go out of order, dudes. There's rules to this thing. Then Netflix emailed me and said they skipped it because it wasn't on hand on my local shipping center, but now it is and they're sending it to me. So crisis averted by the awesomeness of Netflix who consistently go above and beyond, and that is why I will vote for them in 2012.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

If you have Showtime, they're showing The Hurt Locker at least once a day right now on one of their channels.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:36 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Hurt Locker - Here we have one of the most tenses war movies I've ever seen. First time I saw it, I was constantly on edge waiting for an asplosion. This time, I knew when the asplosions were coming so instead I could focus on the story, themes, etc. The movie works in two ways: It works as an edge-of-your-seat war thriller, and as a study of the psychological effects of high pressure situations on soldiers. The thriller part is great as we follow an EOD team in Iraq through several extended pieces of disarming IEDs. All this is done matter-of-factly. There's no music cues, just the soldiers looking in every direction for any trouble, and there's a lot when every lookie-loo raghead could be an insurgent. On top of that is the guy with the wire cutters trying to disarm the bomb. As each second ticks by, the scenes get more and more nerve-wracking. This is when the psychology kicks in. The main character is Sgt. James, who is addicted to the adrenaline rush he gets from his dangerous job. The other guys on the team don't handle it as well and his maverick behavior adds an even greater stress to their already stressful jobs. The movie stays out of the politics of the war and sticks with the effects of it on the soldiers. You appreciate how they do this if you've ever seen a movie that exaggerates the negatives. If you've ever seen Stop-Loss, you'd think everyone comes back from the Middle East ready to shoot up a shopping mall. For once, it's nice to see someone who actually gets off on the danger. I've seen some criticisms of this movie that it's not accurate. First, that's just another kind of macho posturing. Yeah, I'm sure the last thing you want to do with a bunch of IEDs wired together is drag them by the wires out of the dirt, but it makes one helluva cinematic shot. Which leads to my second point: This is a work of fiction. Don't take it as gospel. There's not a single work of fiction anywhere that you can use to prove a factual point. You can use it to discuss philosophies, etc., but they are all just stories some dude made up. If you sit back and enjoy them and don't be a nitpicking prick, you might find yourself amazingly entertained, like I was with this movie.

Did it deserve to win?: Yeah, it's pretty damned good. It's main competition was Avatar, which was neat to look at but also pretty lame. The only movie I may have enjoyed more was Inglourious Basterds, but it's a toss-up for me. I do wonder what the people who once voted for The Greatest Show on Earth and Around the World in 80 Days would think if they knew one day those films would share a distinction with another that featured a scene where a guy disarms a bomb installed inside a dead kid. I would also like to add that this movie was awesome on Blu-ray. Meh sideroom was rattlin' and shit.

:robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: (out of 5)

Up next:
The King's Speech

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
I had The Hurt Locker at the top of my Netflix queue, but it was bypassed twice for the 2nd and 3rd movies on the list, one of which is The King's Speech which came off as some cruel cosmic joke right at the end of arduous ordeal. I mean, I can't go out of order, dudes. There's rules to this thing. Then Netflix emailed me and said they skipped it because it wasn't on hand on my local shipping center, but now it is and they're sending it to me. So crisis averted by the awesomeness of Netflix who consistently go above and beyond, and that is why I will vote for them in 2012.

What if they run for mornings?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:35 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

OMGOMGOMGTHATWASTHEGREATESTBITEVARILOVETHEMUSERSANDGEORGEANDCRAIGANDGORDO4EVAR!!!!LMAOMASHUCLASCUBA@U!!!!!!111!!!!!1!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:13 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:

OMGOMGOMGTHATWASTHEGREATESTBITEVARILOVETHEMUSERSANDGEORGEANDCRAIGANDGORDO4EVAR!!!!LMAOMASHUCLASCUBA@U!!!!!!111!!!!!1!

coked up ticket fan = still genius....wait, scuba?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure the last thing you want to do with a bunch of IEDs wired together is drag them by the wires out of the dirt, but it makes one helluva cinematic shot.

I'm not sure I've ever had a say-it-out-loud "oh shit" moment like I did during my first time of watching this. The scene at the end with the guy wearing the suicide bomb vest made the movie for me. It went totally against what you would have expected to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
If you sit back and enjoy them and don't be a nitpicking prick, you might find yourself amazingly entertained, like I was with this movie.

<-----nitpicking prick :fist:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

We got a lot of them here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 am 
Site Admin

I guess I didn't love the movie because I just couldn't stand the main character after he took off into the city in the dead of night and got one of his dudes shot. I just wanted him to get blowed up or shot for the rest of the movie after that point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 am 
Site Admin

:babyarm: Consider me "whelmed" by the Best Picture movies (other than No Country for Old Men) of the aughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:29 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
:babyarm: Consider me "whelmed" by the Best Picture movies (other than No Country for Old Men) of the aughts.

:babyarm: No Country is the only true classic of the bunch. The rest won't age well, and 40 years from now there'll be a lot WTF thoughts. I do appreciate them picking darker, non-standard fare in the post-Crash years, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:48 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The King's Speech - In some ways it's appropriate that we end here with this film. If we've learned anything along this journey it's that while the Best Picture winner is rarely the best film of the year, it at least is a reflection on where we were and how we were feeling as a people at that particular moment in time. Going My Way comforted everyone in the middle of a huge war. Around the World in 80 Days allowed us to celebrate new technology. Midnight Cowboy gave us the chance to finally explore the darker side of ourselves. Each movie was picked for a reason, whether we agree with it or not. And even if many choices seem silly now, with few exceptions, you can't really argue with how people were feeling at that time. I don't know how The King's Speech will reflect on us as time passes, but I'm guessing they'll look back and think we needed a nice warm blanket to snuggle into, especially after the dark times that led to wins by The Departed, No Country for Old Men, and The Hurt Locker, not to mention the depressing rejection of a progressive attitude toward homosexuality that led to Crash receiving a more notable place in history than it deserved. The King's Speech is a safe and comfortable retreat featuring everything Oscar loves: historical characters, the British, royalty, a handicap, overcoming the odds, and Nazis. All it's missing is a kid dipped in shit. It's a good movie, but hardly a great one. It has great performances, but it feels like a standard BBC production of Stuff Americans Care About If They Want to Look Smart. Maybe that's where we are right now. We just want to look smart.

Did it deserve to win?: It wasn't as awesome as Inception, which would be my pick. The Social Network is better also, but it's too cold for these times. I haven't seen The Fighter, Black Swan, or True Grit yet, but I hear they're all better, too. Not a bad year for movies, but a bad choice for a winner. And I have no idea what Tom Hooper did that's so great to win Best Director. He's the new John G. Avildsen.

:ghostking: :ghostking: :ghostking: (out of 5)

*beats Stu to death with bowling pin*
*collapses in heap on floor*
I'm finished!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Congrats, Tit. Pretty impressive feat. I would have quit before the musicals era.

Next, you should review all Best Actor nominations.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 am 
Site Admin

:babyarm: We need something.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

No more...please.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

What about the Worst Picture? There's only 31 of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Best Song?
Best Barry Fitzgerald movie?
Best John Ford Movie?
Most Overrated?

Your Top 10?
Bottom 10?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 am 

Ween songs 101-200.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:22 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Trained Goucho wrote:
Ween songs 101-200.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The Best:

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
2. Casablanca
3. Unforgiven
4. No Country for Old Men
5. The Godfather
6. On the Waterfront
7. Mutiny on the Bounty
8. All About Eve
9. The Silence of the Lambs
10. Schindler's List

The Worst:

1. Around the World in 80 Days
2. Cavalcade
3. Going My Way
4. Gigi
5. The Broadway Melody
6. Crash
7. How Green Was My Valley
8. Out of Africa
9. My Fair Lady
10. The Deer Hunter*

* I decided I'd rather sit thru An American in Paris than The Deer Hunter again.

Biggest Mistakes:

1. Crash over everything
2. Gump over Shawshank and Pulp Fiction
3. How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane
4. Driving Miss Daisy over a bunch of stuff
5. Rocky over Network, Taxi Driver, and All the President's Men

Barry Fitzgerald:

Who?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:40 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Not a lot of boobs in your top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:43 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I like boobs, but that's just the way it goes.

boobs = sorely underrepresented in the Best Picture field

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
What about the Worst Picture? There's only 31 of those.

:babyarm: Make it happen, Tit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next