Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movies I Watched This Weekend, Part 3: In 3D
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Rogue One

The story is better than Force Awakens. It's not as Star Wars cutesy, either. It's a smidge long, but overall, fun movie.
Alan Tudyk is good as the sassy robot without being annoying. The lead chick is decent, too.
The big bad looks like the head of the Church of Scientology.
Overall, it's
:somey: :somey: :somey: 1/2 out of five.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:19 am 

It's better than Force Awakens and gets 3.5 out of 5? Go fuck yourself

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Rogue One - It's not perfect, but it's as close as they've gotten since Empire. Lots of nods to Ep. IV to make the die hard fans of the original trilogy happy. They didn't do much to tell about back stories of the squadron, but that still didn't soften any of the coming doom. The score takes getting used to, but it gets Williams-esque several times. The big space battle is of the quality that I kept hoping we would see in the prequels and the ending as a whole blew me away.

4.33 dark vaders out of 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Spaz wrote:

How dare you

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:popcorn:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 am 
Site Admin

bigboy wrote:
Rogue One - It's not perfect, but it's as close as they've gotten since Empire. Lots of nods to Ep. IV to make the die hard fans of the original trilogy happy. They didn't do much to tell about back stories of the squadron, but that still didn't soften any of the coming doom. The score takes getting used to, but it gets Williams-esque several times. The big space battle is of the quality that I kept hoping we would see in the prequels and the ending as a whole blew me away.

:babyarm: loved it. my only quibbles are the pacing seems kinda odd at times in the first half and the Forest Whitaker character is bad. Also, how the fuck did R2 and C3PO get from Yavin 4 to Lea's ship so fast? That was a stupid needless cameo that doesn't seem possible timeline wise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Forest Whitaker's character is gone so fast that I didn't really have a lot of time to have much of an opinion about him. Maybe Leia's ship hadn't taken off yet when they showed C3PO and R2 at Yavin 4? I don't know. You're right. It was a pointless cameo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

I put it only behind ESB in the Star Wars rankings. I think that will hold up with time. I've seen it twice. I definitely caught more time #2. Those last 20 minutes are amazing.

Why didn't Jyn's dad just tell them how to blow up the death star in the hologram, instead of making them go through the whole ordeal? Seems like a lot of wasted time and lives.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

:babyarm: :dunno: maybe it would be too hard to locate a small port on a space station the size of a moon without a map

Blade Runner 2049 Teaser Trailer -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8HEBSY_1o

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:29 pm 

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
Spaz wrote:

How dare you

Your scale is off! Just like the one I stand on every morning

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:31 pm 

fruitdog wrote:
bigboy wrote:

:babyarm: loved it. my only quibbles are the pacing seems kinda odd at times in the first half and the Forest Whitaker character is bad. Also, how the fuck did R2 and C3PO get from Yavin 4 to Lea's ship so fast? That was a stupid needless cameo that doesn't seem possible timeline wise.

The Tantive (leia's ship) was in the fleet that was surrounding Yavin. So probably doable. That being said, that cameo added nothing. Neither did the "You better watch yourself" guys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:32 pm 

or somesuch wrote:
I put it only behind ESB in the Star Wars rankings. I think that will hold up with time. I've seen it twice. I definitely caught more time #2. Those last 20 minutes are amazing.

Why didn't Jyn's dad just tell them how to blow up the death star in the hologram, instead of making them go through the whole ordeal? Seems like a lot of wasted time and lives.

He did tell her, or at least start to. But she didn't have the actual plans, so they had to get them. Also, they left the recording on Jedha when it blew up.

Mrs. Spaz didn't even realize Tarkin was CG at first, just thought he looked weird

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Spaz wrote:
rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
Spaz wrote:

How dare you

Your scale is off! Just like the one I stand on every morning

bitch!
I got nothin'. Love you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:53 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Manchester by the Sea - What a downer of a movie, but a really good story and great acting. A real Bahston movie that just didn't irritate the shit out of me. It's a pretty sad look at grief that features a ton of flashbacks and, when you finally see why some of the characters are so fucked in the head in the present time, it's pretty unsettling. I don't need my movies to have a big dramatic buildup and happy ending, so this one was right up my alley. It's getting some awards season buzz and rightfully so.

:stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: :stress: out of 5.5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
Manchester by the Sea - What a downer of a movie, but a really good story and great acting. A real Bahston movie that just didn't irritate the shit out of me. It's a pretty sad look at grief that features a ton of flashbacks and, when you finally see why some of the characters are so fucked in the head in the present time, it's pretty unsettling. I don't need my movies to have a big dramatic buildup and happy ending, so this one was right up my alley. It's getting some awards season buzz and rightfully so.

queer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
bigboy wrote:

queer

it's ok to say this now. #PostTrumpAmerica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:12 pm 

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
bigboy wrote:

queer

it's ok to say this now. #PostTrumpAmerica

We can probably go back to Faggot now! Religious Freedom!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:06 pm 
I'm a tool.

The Anthony wiener documentary is great. His wife is a cold calculating cunt. We got lucky. America

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

La La Land - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's more of a dramedy with songs than a full-blown musical. More Glee than Chicago. Neither of the leads are all that great at singing and dancing, but that plays well with the idea that they're both struggling at their respective talents. That being said, Emma Stone's big solo musical number toward the end of the movie and the alternate reality ending are great scenes. The whole thing is a great big slobbering lovefest over LA/Hollywood/showbiz, so I expect it to clean up come Oscar time.

:fag: :fag: :fag: :fag: out of 5

Patriots Day - It was marginally entertaining and has some potential, but Marky Mark, and more specifically his character, ruined it for me. He becomes Mr. Boston for this movie because I'm assuming Matt Damon and the Afflecks made a big pile of sick when they read the script. They put together a decent group of actors to play a compelling group of real-life individuals involved in the aftermath of the bombing and didn't think that was compelling enough to hold people's attention without shoehorning in Mark Wahlberg as the Forrest Gump of Boston cops. He was everywhere: at the finish line for the bombing, down the street from where the guy that the bombers carjacked escaped, around the corner from the shootout in Watertown, on the same block when the second bomber was found hiding in the boat. Shortly after the bombing, he was called into the investigation headquarters to help reconstruct the crime scene because he was the only cop in Boston that could tell you how long it took to walk between each business security camera on Boylston Street. The movie was surprisingly dark and focused far more on the bombers than on any of the victims. The detail with which the shooting of the MIT cop was depicted was pretty shocking. The end has some touching confessionals from the actual victims and some of the real main characters, but I had pretty much given up on the movie at that point. Go to a NASCAR race before you go see this one.

:violin: out of 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:02 pm 
I'm a tool.

Girl ghostbusters. This was better than boys ghostbusters

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 pm 
I'm a tool.

Bad moms- ridiculous but they are hot. I liked it. Reminds me of frisco moms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 pm 

Masterminds: there was a loomis truck parked in front of Whole Foods this morning and it reminded me that I watched this movie on Friday. Did you know WF has a breakfast buffet set up in the mornings? Sometimes I go for it but I always end up with a bacon orgy which leaves me thirsty and greasy feeling all day. Also, their scrambled eggs are too dry for my liking. I like my scrambled eggs moist. Anyhoo the movie is about a Loomis truck heist,fyi. It gets shit reviews, probably for good reason, but I enjoyed it. Zach Galifinakus is the dim witted crook who worked for Loomis, and yes, it's based on a real life crime. It also has Kristen Wiig (the second i is silent) in it who I'm oddly attracted to. There is a bra scene with her in it, hubba hubba.

It got like 30% on rotten tomatoes but it deserves at least mid 40s.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:03 pm 
I'm a tool.

Triple 9- I don't like the afflacks, but this was good ass bad cop movie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Dunkirk

Movie is very intense out of the gate and remains so throughout the movie. No real gory scenes like Saving Private Ryan. Intensity is maintained by a great musical score. Really sets the tone of each scene.

I give it :babyarm: :babyarm: :babyarm: :babyarm: out of 5 :babyarm:

"A free society endangers us, without doubt. It is our Achilles Heel, and our glory. It is the risk we take…. Did so many Americans give up their lives to save our freedom so that we could give up our freedom to save our lives?" … Neil Steinberg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:46 am 

Ichabod wrote:
Dunkirk

Movie is very intense out of the gate and remains so throughout the movie. No real gory scenes like Saving Private Ryan. Intensity is maintained by a great musical score. Really sets the tone of each scene.

I give it :babyarm: :babyarm: :babyarm: :babyarm: out of 5 :babyarm:

I considered watching it, but the hype machine has prevented me from doing so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

It lives up to the hype. It's a damn good movie. The score is from the great Hans Zimmer who has done the scores of most of Nolan's films. He also did the scores for some of Michael Bay's mid-90's crap, but I'll forgive him. See it in 70 mm IMAX. It was worth the drive for me. Mark Rylance will probably get another Oscar nod for his work here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:59 pm 

Hired Gun-- this was an enjoyable documentary about musicians for hire. Really interesting. Oddly, Alice Cooper was interviewed a good bit. He looks an awful lot like Michael Scott.

:click: :gun2: :click: :gun2:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Avengers: Infinity War

:weenie: :bigtime: :babyarm: :D :shock: :popcorn: :robot: :sock: :bolt: :picknose: :babyarm2: :police: :norm: :bananaf: :twirl: :nerd: :bananapepper: :gelf: :fag: :hookem: :patriot: :snowcone: :boogie: :kisshand: :candy: :claw: :goldstar: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:32 pm 
I'm a tool.

spoiler alert

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Solo - Fuck all the people trashing this movie. It's flawed like every movie usually is, but it was entertaining and beat the hell out of 2 hours of work. I fully expected Ron Howard to find a way to screw up Star Wars, but he actually did right by the franchise. Han felt more like another piece of a great ensemble cast in a good heist movie rather than the focus of the story, but that's probably the only thing I can find to complain about.

:picknose: :picknose: :picknose: :picknose: and 1/2 out of 5.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 am 
Site Admin

:babyarm:

I didn't love the guy who played Han - I felt they forced that smirk too much. Also thought the fan service was a bit much and I didn't love Lando's sidekick droid. They also really flew through the "12 parsecs" storyline. But those are really my only beefs and the movie exceeded my expectations. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of all Star Wars movies. 4.08 stars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 am 
I'm a tool.

I bet Fruitdog trashed it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

He liked it more than I did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

:babyarm: really liked it. saw it again a few days later

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Bohemian Rhapsody - Good little 2 1/2 hour music video. They went over board with the teeth. Remi Malik did pretty good. They played with the facts a bit but its a movie so whatever. It was focused on Freddy (of course) but I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the rest of the band as well.

:fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: 1/2 out of 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 pm 

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is the creepy Netflix movie that should be getting the accolades that are instead going to the silly Birdbox.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

The secrecy behind Birdbox is dumb. It's not like there's a big M Night Slammalamma reveal at the end. Or if it's supposed to be, it wasn't to me. To top it off, it doesn't really affect what is happening. There's no real resolution to the main issue. It's like they combined the worst parts of "The Happening" and "I Am Legend"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Searching - Harold's - from Harold and Kumar fame - daughter goes missing. When no leads are found, Harold starts searching his daughter's laptop for clues. Pretty intense little movie that totally falls apart in the end.

:postemote: :postemote: :postemote: .25 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Vice - The Dick Cheney movie starring the good Batman. Reminded me of all the politico arguments on the forum back in the day about what Bush and them were up to. According to the movie, Walt was right and Cods was wrong.

:puakfwalt: :puakfwalt: :puakfwalt: :puakfwalt: (out of 5)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

When I saw The Big Short, I remember thinking, "they should make one of these about politics." That's pretty much what it was. Great movie, but I didn't like it as much as The Big Short. The fake credits thing and the mid-credits scene both made me LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 am 
Site Admin

First Man - A look at the life of the "first man" on the moon, Neil Armstrong. There has been a lot made about the lack of flag planting in the film and the hillbillies protesting the movie because of it. Defenders will say it's a movie about Neil Armstrong and not anything else. As you may have gathered from prior posts, I am far from a nationalist and I think "respecting the flag" is almost as dumb as "respecting the star". However, this film was not just about Neil Armstrong, as the defenders will claim. There were several references to outside stories, such as the debate on whether we should be funding the space program, or the actual space race between the US and the Commie Soviet Union. I would have put the flag planting in the movie. You don't have to have angels singing in the background or Jesus looking down approvingly while it happens. It doesn't even have to be a focal point. Just show it for the clumsy exercise it was and move on. Getting to the moon was about the space race - the movie is titled "First Man", not "Neil Armstrong", afterall. The protesters and their fake outrage are still stupid though.

All that said, this was a bit underwhelming. I was expecting epic-ness.

:cap: :gammy: :gammy: .5 (out of 5)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

See, I thought it was more about Armstrong's personal journey than the space race, as evidenced by focusing on his action on the moon after the landing (the part where he wanders away from the capsule for a bit.) And I think that was the reasoning for not showing the flag planting, because it was his journey not America fuck yeah's. I liked the movie a little more than you did, but yeah it's kinda slow and Armstrong was never the most riveting guy.

:alien: :alien: :alien: (out of 5)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 81  Next