Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: racing series other than NASCAR-2010
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:07 am 

Having nothing to do on Saturday evening, I drove out to the Bucc-ee's on I-35 north of Fort Worth. It's across from the speedway. Noticed that there was activity at TMS, gave some thought to going in to see what was up. Didn't. Nothing is scheduled for this time of the year.

Back at home, I figured out that they were finishing up an Indycar race that was rained out a couple of months ago. Watched it on the teevee.

What a wildass ending that thing had. I wish I had gone in now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:12 am 

Juan Pablo Montoya is going to drive in the Indy 500 this year. Ask a NASCAR fan to name five things about his time there, and they will mention him hitting a jet dryer at the Daytona 500 and it catching on fire.

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck

Fitzgerald Glider Kits is sponsoring Juan Pablo Montoya in the Indy 500, and the owner of the company just intro'd him as "Mr. Jet Dryer."

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:19 pm 

The 101st Indy 500 was awesome. It was exciting at the first, and exciting at the end.

The crowd wanted Helio Castroneves to win, but Takuma Sato was having none of that. That is Michael Andretti's fifth win as an owner. Sato has long been a punch line for fans: a race is not official until Sato Satos (crashes).

Fernando Alonzo's impressive run was big news, and so was the horrible crash by Scott Dixon. We narrowly missed seeing death there.

I enjoyed seeing Sato win, and I am glad I didn't stay away from this race. No way that tonight's NASCAR race is that good.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 pm 

For Homer Call of the Week, Dick Hicks nominated the Japanese call of this race. He has a good point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I went to the my first Indy race at TMS on Saturday. That's good stuff. More pack racing and much more entertaining than the single file NASCAR parade. I'm glad you didn't tell me to stay away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:32 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
I went to the my first Indy race at TMS on Saturday. That's good stuff. More pack racing and much more entertaining than the single file NASCAR parade. I'm glad you didn't tell me to stay away.

I dug the one I watched in 96 or 97... I think it might have been the first Indy race at the track ( :bigtime: ). I was kinda disappointed the cars didn't sound like a swarm of bees like it does on the teevees.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 pm 

Back in the awful days of USENET, a common criticism about those cars was that they sounded like lawn mowers on TV. I thought they sounded more like bees, but what did I know. I figured these people were just haters of the new racing league.

When I made it out to TMS, the first thing I thought was, 'those don't sound anything like fucking lawn mowers.'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm 

The year's Indianapolis 500 will be the 54th year in a row that ABC Sports has broadcast it.

NBC is getting it next year.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03 ... ouncement/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

:eek:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:42 am 

Grayson County Speedway is a little dirt track that is east of Sherman. I follow Grayson County Scanner on Facebook and this showed up tonight:

Report of a fight at Grayson County Speedway with approximately 15 people involved. Officer on scene requesting backup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

jim jack wrote:
Grayson County Speedway is a little dirt track that is east of Sherman. I follow Grayson County Scanner on Facebook and this showed up tonight:

Report of a fight at Grayson County Speedway with approximately 15 people involved. Officer on scene requesting backup.

Were they all jacked up on Mountain Dew and going at each other like spider monkeys?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am 

Roger Penske is buying the Indianapolis Motor Speedway AND the Indycar series. This guy is 82, so I would think it's a little late in life to be taking a step like this.

The track has been in the Hulman family since Tony Hulman bought it in 1945 and saved it from ruin.

Wow.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:12 pm 

Today's Indy 500 was good stuff and oddly, I watched nearly every lap. Glad I didn't stay away from this race.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5