Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Unofficial Mavs offseason thread
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Donnie the new coach?

It wouldn't kill me, though I think they may need some new blood in here that is totally distant from the last 3 seasons. The main thing is to get a coach in here who will let Kidd be Kidd and not try to turn him into a newer version of himself. That was part of Avery's problem.

Only 7 guys are under contract - Dirk, Howard, Kidd, Bass, Dampier, Stack, Terry.

The only way I trade Dirk is if someone offers the world for him and that's not gonna happen. His value to this team is too much and he still has more than a couple of good years left.

Obviously, they have to get more athletic at the 2/3. Two guys I like are CJ Miles (who Followill talked about yesterday) from Utah and Kellena Azubuike from GS. They're both restricted FAs, so their teams have the option of re-signing them, but if they don't, they could be cheap. Not sure what their teams think of them. There might have to be a sign and trade in there somewhere. Followill also mentioned Gerald Green. Looking at his player page, he looks like he would be pretty easy to get.

Of the free agents the Mavs have, I try to re-sign Tyronn Lue, Devean George and Antoine Wright. Antoine Wright is young and athletic - he just needs some more minutes. Lue is a good backup who could be a servicable starter if the needs arises. I re-sign George because they have to fill a team out and he won't count against their cap as much. Plus, he puts a lot of effort out there, unlike some of the guys. Then I dangle Terry, Howard and Stackhouse out there to see how much value they have. Stack probably has none. Terry probably has some. Howard, I'm not even sure of. I'd also see what I could get for Dampier, but I imagine his worth to the Mavs is more than anything they could get for him. Diop is an unrestricted FA with NJ. Wouldn't mind seeing them making a run at him, though I imagine the Mavs don't have much to offer.

Post subject: Re: Unofficial Mavs offseason thread
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

donnie just told the musers he would be last on the list of coaching candidates.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:16 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Best case scenario, I see a 40-45 win team next season.

It's a tragedy for me to see the dream is over...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:18 am 
Site Admin

If that's the case, then fuck it. Trade everyone, Dirk included. I don't think that's the case though. I think some tweaking can keep them in it.

but I never will forget the day we met.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:30 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sagger's big on Jeff Van Gundy.
That name sounds ok to me; what do the sports brains of somey and MikeCunt think?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:34 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

will van gundy be able to help the mavs not look like little bitches in the playoffs? if so, then bring him in.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I'm so down on this team right now that I don't think it really matters who they hire.

Dirk is the only All-Star.
Kidd looks really old. A new coach and offense might revitalize him, but he is at best the 4th best PG in the West. I don't think there is any chance he is here past next year.
I don't even know what to think about Josh anymore.
Stack is done.
Terry is best as instant offense off the bench as a 6th or 7th man.
Bass is a solid rebuilding piece.
The rest of the team is interchangeable with any other spare in the league.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Sportsguy mentioned in his chat a few days ago that Melo might be on the outs with Denver. He suggested Dallas should swap problem childs with Denver and send Howard their way. Would Terry Stack and Howard even work salary wise for Anthony? Doesn't Howard and maybe even Terry have one of those poison pill or early bird fucked up contracts where we end up taking a bigger hit making them much harder to trade?

The only problem I have with Jeff Van Gundy is that he seems just as inept at coaching offense as Avery is.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

shiiit, give me Melo over Howard any day. He's a thug, but he's got more goin' on then Howard.
The Sports Idiot has spoken!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Admin

[quote="Mike Hunt"]he is at best the 4th best PG in the West. [quote]
is that a bad thing? Williams Nash and Paul are pretty fucking awesome. Nash is a Hall of Famer, Paul will be and I'd trade my left nut to have Williams on the team.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I heard a sound bite from Dirk this morning about how right now he is in his prime and feels like this year was wasted. I hope that doesn't turn into grumblings next year with him hinting that he might be happier somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:
The Sports Idiot has spoken!

:notsure:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
I heard a sound bite from Dirk this morning about how right now he is in his prime and feels like this year was wasted. I hope that doesn't turn into grumblings next year with him hinting that he might be happier somewhere else.

he'd better just goosestep his ass back on the court next year and sieg heil his ass to the Finals and stfu.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:08 am 
Site Admin

fruitdog wrote:
Sportsguy mentioned in his chat a few days ago that Melo might be on the outs with Denver. He suggested Dallas should swap problem childs with Denver and send Howard their way.

I would be all over that, but I doubt Denver would.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
Mike Hunt wrote:
he is at best the 4th best PG in the West.
Quote:
is that a bad thing? Williams Nash and Paul are pretty fucking awesome. Nash is a Hall of Famer, Paul will be and I'd trade my left nut to have Williams on the team.

I was putting Parker ahead of him, so I guess he's 5th best. Him being 5th isn't necessarily a bad thing by itself, but when all of the points that are better than him are on better, younger, more athletic teams, that IS a problem.

Do you really think he'll be here past next season?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:18 am 
Site Admin

I think he might retire after next season. If he doesn't I can't imagine anyone paying a whole bunch for him.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:23 am 
Site Admin

I'm not down on Kidd. I think he has 2-3 more good years left if he wants to play. He can't shoot, but we knew that when the trade was made and everyone was still for it. He would have averaged 14 assists in the NO series if people could hit a fucking jump shot.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:27 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Eddie Nacho will be available

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
I'm not down on Kidd. I think he has 2-3 more good years left if he wants to play. He can't shoot, but we knew that when the trade was made and everyone was still for it. He would have averaged 14 assists in the NO series if people could hit a fucking jump shot.

you know the system is bad when the player with the biggest bball iq can't figure it out. kidd should look a lot better next year if the right changes are made.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:37 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

rowdyhatinwalt wrote:

he's guilty of over hustle, but at least looks like he's trying to play a little d. if the mavs have room to bring him back i wouldn't have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:40 am 
Site Admin

I wouldn't either, but he plays the same position as Dirk and Bass. Whatever funds they have would probably be best served using elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 am 

Does anyone really think Cuban's going to keep Devean George around after his Kidd-trade-killer-clause being used? I don't think there's any way Cuban's forgotten that.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:53 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
Would Terry Stack and Howard even work salary wise for Anthony? Doesn't Howard and maybe even Terry have one of those poison pill or early bird fucked up contracts where we end up taking a bigger hit making them much harder to trade?

Josh's poison pill went away last offseason. And based on realgm and espn, even Josh and Stack make too much. Josh makes 9 next year and Melo makes 13.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:55 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
I wouldn't either, but he plays the same position as Dirk and Bass. Whatever funds they have would probably be best served using elsewhere.

oh snap.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:57 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

If you added in cash considerations, Josh, Stack and Terry could go for Kenyon and Melo. But I don't think Donnie would be on board with getting both of these malcontents. Plus, would denver be willing to do that?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:14 pm 

Sagger Pance wrote:
If you added in cash considerations, Josh, Stack and Terry could go for Kenyon and Melo. But I don't think Donnie would be on board with getting both of these malcontents. Plus, would denver be willing to do that?

Dirk for Melo, straight up. Keep Howard aka Towelie around, trade Stack for Ron Artest, and trade Kidd & his expiring contract for Al Harrington & Stephen Jackson. That lineup has the potential for more wheels-off behavior than any Dallas team since the White House days.

And yes, I'm aware I have 2/3rds of the Detroit/Indiana brawl participants on the same team. That's half the fun of this scenario.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

A. that doesn't work.
B. Thats insane
C. You're high
D. But I like the DET/IND part

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:23 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Bitterwhiteguy wrote:
Sagger Pance wrote:

Dirk for Melo, straight up. Keep Howard aka Towelie around, trade Stack for Ron Artest, and trade Kidd & his expiring contract for Al Harrington & Stephen Jackson. That lineup has the potential for more wheels-off behavior than any Dallas team since the White House days.

And yes, I'm aware I have 2/3rds of the Detroit/Indiana brawl participants on the same team. That's half the fun of this scenario.

everyone will want to go to the games but be too scared to sit in the lower bowl.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Which players have termination options and probably won't re-sign with their current team when current deal is up?

Arenas? Artest? Marion? Brand? Iverson?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:01 pm 

Sagger Pance wrote:
A. that doesn't work.
B. Thats insane
C. You're high
D. But I like the DET/IND part

A. I know
B. That's the point.
C. Probably
D. Yer welcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:15 pm 

The more I screw around with the NBA trade machine, the more I realize just how completely hosed the Mavs are. I think this gets easier when the playoffs are over because a lot of the trade restrictions will be lifted, but right now half the Mavs squad is untradeable.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Half the squad are free agents. Only 7 guys are under contract. Eddie Jones has a player option also.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:35 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Bitterwhiteguy wrote:
The more I screw around with the NBA trade machine, the more I realize just how completely hosed the Mavs are. I think this gets easier when the playoffs are over because a lot of the trade restrictions will be lifted, but right now half the Mavs squad is untradeable.

thats when its better to use realgm.com

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 pm 

Sagger Pance wrote:
Bitterwhiteguy wrote:

thats when its better to use realgm.com

I think I like the ESPiN trade machine interface more, but they both have their good points.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:04 pm 

I think we could do some sign and trades for Maggette and Jermaine O'Nealboth are probably going to ETO. Having Kidd Maggette Dirk and O'Neal on the floor at the same time makes me happy in my nether regions.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

ETO?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

and remind me why The clips would get rid of Magette.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:22 pm 

Sagger Pance wrote:

Because they're idiots?

btw O'Neal has more injury issues than Pants running a 10k. He hasn't played 70+ games since 2003, and played in less than 50 games twice in the last 4 years.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sagger Pance wrote:
ETO?

early termination option

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:26 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sagger Pance wrote:

The Clippers are the Clippers for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:29 pm 

Magette was also making noise at this year's deadline that he wanted out of LA right? They almost had a deal to ship him to Sacramento for Artest I think. Sterling is always willing to dump salary.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

based on salaries alone, i think I found a trade that would get the mavs out from behind the eightball. I don't know the ins and outs of the restrictions on these players, but the salaries match up.
Its a three way between Indy, denver and dallas. All of this is based on the idea that Denver wants out of Melo and Indy wants out of Oneal... You could throw bass in the deal to denver and put Barea in for Jones to get the same general numbers since I don't know that Denver would give melo up for Howard and a crew of spares.

Indy gives Oneal at 19.728 mill for Terry (8.98m) and Kenyon martin (13.25)
Denver gives Melo (13m) and Kmart (13.25m) for howard (9.5m), stack (6.75m), and Eddie Jones (1.8m) +3 mill
Dallas gives Howard, terry, Stack and Jones for Oneal and Melo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next