Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Major League Ballparks you've attended a game at
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Arlington (Arlington Stadium and Ballpark)
Houston (Astrodome and Enron/Minute Maid)
Cincinatti (Riverfront only)
San Francisco (Candlestick and Whatever the Hell Its Called Now)
Florida (Joe Robbie only)
Dodger Stadium
Philadelphia (current)
Nationals (RFK only)
Mets (Shea only)
Yankees (old Yankee Stadium only)
Fenway
Coors Field

Current count: 12

Top 5:
5. Riverfront -- My first experience of real baseball fans. Didn't need to be told when to cheer or stand. Stadium sucked but the setting in downtown on the river was great. I was there for Deion Sanders's first game as a Red. Yeah.
4. Old Yankee Stadium -- The stadium itself was a toilet. The actual game-watching experience blew. But it's fucking Yankee Stadium. I was only feet from where Ruth, DiMaggio, and Mantle had played. This alone puts it in the top 5. First time we sat in the bleachers and the fans couldn't have been nicer. When they found out we were from Texas they were surprisingly complimentary of the Rangers and were very knowledgeable about the franchise. Moreso than most Ranger fans, probably.
3. The Ballpark -- Was a great stadium prior to Hicks plastering advertisements on every conceivable surface and the fucking flea market circus for the kids in center field. Haven't been since the remodel.
2. Fenway -- Ancient park that was really clean and friendly. Doesn't quite have the history of old Yankee stadium, but the atmosphere around the stadium before and after the game is fantastic.
1. San Francisco (current) -- No better setting in baseball. Beautiful Stadium. And my favorite team.

Twist 1: I attended a Peoria Chiefs game in the mid 80s that Greg Maddux pitched in.

Twist 2: I attended a Spring Training exhibition game between the Mariners and Cubs at the Las Vegas 51s ballpark.

Twist 3: I've been to Cooperstown.

Post subject: Re: Major League Ballparks you've attended a game at
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Arlington - both
Atlanta - Turner Field
Dodger Stadium
San Diego - Petco Park
Washington - RFK only

No real need to do a top 5. At the Ballpark, I've been to 8 playoff games (2 WS games and 2 game 6 ALCS games where they clinched) and a game where they came back from 14-4 to win 16-15, so I can't really compare my experiences anywhere else with that. I was at old Arlington Stadium when Nolan got his 5000th K, but that's the only memorable game I went to there.

Petco was my favorite by a mile. Cool, clean stadium, the fish tacos were unbelievable, the weather was in the 60s. SD went to the playoffs that year, so the atmosphere was great. We were high fiving people after the game. I usually root for the home team to lose just because I like the fans to be pissed off, but I couldn't do it here. Awesome experience.

Saw Bascik get shelled by the Brewers in RFK. Saw this game with Fruitdog, so it ranks pretty high.

Dodger stadium was fine. A dude ran out on the field wrapped up like a mummy. Still took security forever to catch him.

Turner was brutal. It was so fucking humid and we couldn't even make it to the end. Barry Bonds hit 2 HRs in that game so that was pretty cool. Atlanta fans were going crazy over a young prospect they had named ... Jeff Francouer. Another reason no prospect is ever untouchable in my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 pm 
I'm a tool.

Ballpark and old Arlington stadium
Fenway
Wrigley
Kaufman stadium
Oakland Alameda County stadium
Astro dome
Minute maid park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

My list is pretty short:

Arlington - Both
Houston - the dome
Mets - Citi

I've seen 4 playoff games, including the game 6 blowout against Detroit last year. By far the best baseball experience of my life. Jack Ingram national anthem, the Rangers dominated, the celebration in the stadium and walking out of the stadium, and I made it on the Fox 4 broadcast celebrating in the parking lot. Little did I know, I would have my heart unceremoniously ripped out less than 2 weeks later. I've had some fun opening day and opening night game experiences over the years. My favorite opening day moment came probably somewhere around 06 or 07. In the pre game ceremony, there was a moment of silence for some longtime league exec that had passed away. During a fairly quiet moment of silence, someone from the upper deck behind the Rangers dugout screamed out, "WILKERSON, YOU SUCK!" People started laughing out loud. That pretty much sums up the Tom Hicks era of Rangers baseball.

No huge significant moments in the old stadium here. A whole bunch of hot ass weekend day games in the outfield. It was fun at the time, but you couldn't pay me to do that now.

I was probably 13 or 14 when I saw a game at the dome in Houston. Astros-Mets with Doc Gooden on the mound. We were sitting in around the 5th row behind the visitors bullpen, so were 15 feet or so from where Gooden was warming up in the pre game.

Citi was a pretty kickass experience. Mets-Yankees on a Sunday night. Save number 500 for Rivera. I was surrounded by a pretty even distribution of Mets and Yankees fans. One outspoken Mets fan behind me that was pretty funny. I scored a single seat on Stub Hub for around $125 that was 10 rows from the top directly behind home plate. The stadium itself is pretty meh. Riding the train out from Grand Central was pretty cool. The entrance rotunda that faces the subway station is neat, but the stadium is a big fucking museum for the Brooklyn Dodgers (confusing). The view from the upper deck is nice and the center field area is much larger version of what the Rangers have tried to do with their center field remodel.

The wife and I went back to NYC this summer and the Yankees were in town all but our last day there. I wanted to go to a game, but a Sunday day game was about the only option that would have worked for us. I think it made it up to 95 that day and the humidity was fucking miserable. The idea of the long ass train ride and sitting in the heat made it pretty easy to pass it up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 am 
Site Admin

I think a west coast trip to see Petco, PacBell, Chavez Ravine and Safeco would be pretty awesome although Safeco isn't really on the way. I've hardly been to any other parks and of the 5 playoff games I've seen they've lost 3 of them. I did get to see the Nellie Cruz Walkoff game last year in the ALCS and that was fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Angels/Anaheim Stadium
Arlington (both)
Old Yankee Stadium
Petco Park
Minute Maid Park

Petco is the nicest. Old Arlington was the worst. Planned on visiting Coors on a trip to Colorado a few years ago but didn't have enough time to get a game in. Wish I'd worked that angle a little harder now.

My Old Yankee Stadium story: I went with my dad on September 21, 1996 to see them play the Sawx. It was a ridiculous back and forth game that lasted 10 innings and nearly 5 hours. Nomar was a recent call-up and he tore that place apart. However, in typical Soxian fashion, they blew a 5-run lead. The Yanks won 12-11 in the bottom of the 10th on a bases-loaded base hit by some kid named Jeter. A month later, they won the World Series.

The stadium itself wasn't anything great. The facilities were old and the food wasn't great. And I remember how scary it was getting after the game as dusk approached and the locals started hitting the streets. We bee-lined to subway as quickly as we could and got out of that hellhole. But holy shit, what a game!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:17 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Arlington
Arlington

I liked the old one better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:40 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Arlington Stadium memories:

1.) As a band nerd, we volunteered at the 3rd base concession stand to raise money. We used to lie all the time to the gate security guard and say we were working and just go sit in the outfield. One time that I was actually working, I very casually caught a Rueben Sierra foul ball (after a rain delay, I was leaving in the 5th inning at midnight). An usher told me that employees weren't allowed to keep foul balls. I told him as soon as I got a check in my name from George W. Bush, I'd give the ball back.

2.) Opening day 1991 our marching band played the National Anthem. This was about 2 months after the end of the first Gulf War and George Bush was throwing out the first pitch. We had to go through Secret Service. They dismantled my tuba to check for weapons. Seriously. When we were waiting in the center field gate to march out, the presidential limo pulled up right behind us. It had been circling all day as Bush toured the area. We all watched it intently even as we were on the field. Then they announced him and he popped out of the first base dugout. He had never been in the limo all day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm 

1. Ballpark in Arlington

2. Progressive/Cleveland: the company I work for has a corporate office in Cleveland. A couple of years ago at a national meeting a bunch of us went to a game. Downtown stadiums kick ass. The locals always refer to Cleveland as the mistake on the lake, but I've always enjoyed the trips up there. Then again, I'm from Shreveport, so suck is relative. One year we went to the Rock and Roll hall of fame which was also cool. I enjoyed the game more. They've tightened the purse strings the last couple of years and we've gone bowling.

3.Kauffman/Kansas City: did a special project for work about 3 years ago in the midwest. Was able to take in a Royals game. Loved their ball park. It is old and right next to Arrowhead. Had some good bbq downtown before the game. The co-worker I went with looks like that ugly Indian from Last of the Mohicans, Mogwai, or something, only with worse hair. Anyway, I packed in a rush that morning and forgot to flush a Skoal bandit pouch. My wife found it floating in the toilet. You'dve thought it was black tar heroin. She had a fit on the phone on the way to the game. When I used mouf tobacco I did it on the down low like a kid in high school hides vices from their parents. I remember being pissed for like the first 4 innings about the stupidity of it all. Never really regularly used the stuff again though.

4.Tropicana: my boss lives in the Tampa area. He's a boozer, a gambler, and a big baseball guy. All in all, pretty easy to hang out with. There were 6 of us there for a district meeting last summer. We went to a game as our "team building" exercise. Beat the hell out of role playing.

5.Minute Maid/Houston: used to work with a guy who lived in Houston. I worked with him one week at a trade show. We scored a couple of free tickets one day and went to the game. He was local so he swung by the hotel where I was staying and picked me up. I always kinda liked him, but he was the kind of coworker you didn't want look too chummy with at corporate functions. He whipped out a monster joint on the way and I got totally baked. I exceeded my $40 dinner per diem at the ballpark by $50. Fucked up some concessions, big time. He talked incessantly. When I wasn't eating I stared open mouthed down at the field and wondered what he was babbling about. When it was all over I felt like I drank a bottle of canola oil and it was seeping out of my skin.

6. Turner Field/Atlanta: About 12 years ago, I had to go to Atlanta for 2 weeks of training. An eclectic work group of about 20 of us went to a game. It was a beating. They all just talked shop the whole time in work lingo. I kinda wished I had stayed in the room.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Quote:
5.Minute Maid/Houston: used to work with a guy who lived in Houston. I worked with him one week at a trade show. We scored a couple of free tickets one day and went to the game. He was local so he swung by the hotel where I was staying and picked me up. I always kinda liked him, but he was the kind of coworker you didn't want look too chummy with at corporate functions. He whipped out a monster joint on the way and I got totally baked. I exceeded my $40 dinner per diem at the ballpark by $50. Fucked up some concessions, big time. He talked incessantly. When I wasn't eating I stared open mouthed down at the field and wondered what he was babbling about. When it was all over I felt like I drank a bottle of canola oil and it was seeping out of my skin.

^Winner.^

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

bigboy wrote:
Quote:

^Winner.^

:babyarm: I kinda picture him chowing down on a big foam finger.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:14 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Despite being a Giants fan, I actually like Dodger Stadium quite a bit. Caught a Giants game there two years ago without being attacked by fans. Also twist-worthy is that I went to a game there in 1997 (with a girl, no less) on a whim. Drove up to the stadium in the morning while we were sight-seeing and got the tickets without inquiring who they were playing against. Got back in the car and saw that they were playing the Rangers. Dodgers first inter-league game. Saw Bobby Witt hit the first home run by an American League pitcher in inter-league play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Despite living in LA for 3+ years, I have never been to Dodger Stadium. It has everything to do with my hatred for Tommy Lasorda.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I am a fan of old stadiums that are kept up and clean. California weather doesn't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Just bought a bunch of tickets for games in August. Me and a buddy both turn 40 this year and our other buddy turned 40 last year. So instead of going the full-on coke and stripper route, we're doing a mid-life crisis baseball road trip.

We'll hit KC on Saturday, St. Louis on Sunday, White Sox on Monday, Cubs on both Tuesday (night game) and Wednesday (day game), and the Brewers on Thursday. Discussed then driving to Detroit, but that's a long way. May get real gay and visit the Field of Dreams field in Iowa too.

Twist: The ticket costs are kind of interesting. Cubs games average almost $40 each on StubHub (that's actually the same price as the single game tickets when they go on sale). The night game we'll be sitting in the upper deck and the day game we'll be in the bleachers. KC and the White Sox are both $17 for upper deck seats. St. Louis tickets aren't on sale yet but look a little expensive. Kicker is that we got upper deck seats for the Brewers on StubHub for $6.85. Seriously. Regular price is $9.00.

Double twist: There's three of us and only two beds in a motel room. Do the math.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Fruit would, I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

It depends on much the rooms were. I probably would at like $150 a night. But I might pay upwards of $300 not to sleep in the same room as your log sawing ass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You think maybe if I were to put my face under your right boob while sleeping it would muffle the noise where we could both sleep soundly?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

You motorboatin' sonofabitch!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've traced out a Midwest Baseball Road Trip in my quest to attend every ballpark. My route is KC -> MIN -> MIL -> CHI (2) -> STL. DET is in the DET-> CLE -> PIT -> TOR trip. I'll probably never do either.

We considered a quick trip to CHI this year to catch a couple games but the Cubs and Sox are only both playing at home on one weekend this season. I also didn't want to go to Chicago just to see games then split. There's too much else to do there.

I'll likely see the Marlins this year, but that may be it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:30 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Marlins Park - Looks a lot like Minute Maid Park in Houston, but it's a lot more colorful and reflects nicely on the coke and hot Cubans culture of Miami. It has a retractable roof and AC which might not be traditional but is growing on me as an ideal way to watch a game as I get old and grumpy. The Shitty Marlins played the Cardinals and beat them 7-2 behind a stellar outing by Ricky Nolasco. No home runs were hit, but we got to see the big gay fish thing in center field in action after the final out. I had an Italian sausage and it was covered in all this extra Cuban shit which I couldn't identify but enhanced the flavor by a metric shitload. I want another one right now. Got a free Marlins fedora as a Father's Day promotion. Oh yeah, it was Father's Day and I took my dad and Tit Jr to the game. What did you do for your dad on Father's Day?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I took my dad to lunch on Father's Day and I stuffed myself silly for dinner that night at Texas de Brazil. The fedora giveway must be an across the MLB deal. The Rangers are doing it in July. How was the the attendance on Father's Day? A friend of mine posted a pic to Facebook from a weeknight game last week and there may have been a hundred people visible in the shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:12 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

They had a pretty good crowd there that day. The lower sections were about 75-80% full. The upper sections were nearly empty. There were a lot of Cards fans there, but they were pretty quiet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:55 am 
Site Admin

Deloise is about to dominate this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:

I wish I could do what he's doing. I'm trying to convince a non-innernet friend of mine to do the Midwest tour with me, but he's a workaholic and probably won't want to be away from the office that long. Stu would've gone with me. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:58 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
non-innernet friend

I've heard of these

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I saw NYY-Det at Yankee Stadium last Friday. Bought $29 face value tickets in the upper grandstand behind homeplate for 13 on Stub Hub. I really dig this stadium. It makes RBiA look like the trailer park that it is - sight lines not ruined by the cluttered shit show beyond the outfield wall in Arlington, a street level concourse that doesn't look worthy of a high school stadium, and public transportation that drops you off at the door. The rain delay allowed us to get there to hear the chaos of A-Rod's first at bat, but we didn't stay long enough to see Rivera's blown save.

Bonus: went to a Staten Island Yankees game on Sunday. Short season a ball in a stadium right on the harbor. Pretty kick ass view. The starter for the visiting team took a no hitter through 5 and the reliever came in and gave up a hit on his first pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm 
I'm a tool.

or somesuch wrote:

i dare he go to US Cellular field at night

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:

:babyarm:
Now up to 18.

Kaufman Stadium -- Really liked this one for a 40 year old stadium. Doesn't try to be retro like most new parks, but isn't outdated despite the appearance of a mid-70's stadium. Fairly small and intimate. Nice hall-of-fame with high levels of baseball history for a fairly young franchise. Side note, only got to hit Oklahoma Joe's for barbecue. But the Z-Man sandwich was worth the drive by itself. And I have never seen so much tailgating before a game. Tents, canopies and other shelters were up when we got there 2 hours before game time. Lots of cornhole, ladderball, and beer pong. And this wins:

Busch Stadium -- Kinda meh. Nice looking downtown stadium with a great outfield view of the city and the arch, only blocks away. But the stadium itself was just like every other new retro stadium. Nothing to distinguish itself. Had some dudebros sitting right behind us that wouldn't shut up. I hate people. Only hit Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard after the game. It was greatness.

U.S. Celluar Field -- Nice stadium for its age. I cut it some slack for it really being the first of the new retro stadiums. The fans around us sucked. Stadium was nice, the upper decks still feel close to the action. But you cannot access any other levels if you have tickets on the upper deck. I assume to keep the degenerate South Siders from disturbing the people in Elysium. We got to see Jose Iglesias make the best defensive play I've ever seen live. Yes, cap, I went after dark.

Wrigley -- What am I supposed to say? We did a night game in the upper deck behind home plate and a day game in the front row of left center in the bleachers. Glad we saw it before the (needed) renovations. I've been to old Yankee Stadium and Fenway, and this compares favorably with Fenway. I felt Yankee Stadium was a toilet and Fenway was well kept and awesome. Like Fenway, Wrigley felt clean and convenient despite its age. It had trough-style pee facilities, but still usable. Also, was offered ganja outside the stadium.

Side note -- Did the food tour of the city. Giordano's, Gino's East, Portillo's, Ed Debevic's. All great. Saw Mario Batalli walking in his orange crocs. Saw an improv show at Second City. Good times.

Miller Park -- Outside of the Mecca of Wrigley, this was probably my favorite stadium. We paid $7 to sit in the upper deck behind home plate and they gave us a $10 voucher for food/beer. Thank you, Ryan Braun! Great view of the field and the open roof mimics the lines of the field for a nice aesthetic (gay). Did nothing else in Milwaukee.

Side trip -- Got to do this in Iowa.

Target Field -- Really cool, despite what it looks like on TV. Never liked the travertine behind home plate on TV, but in person, the look distinguishes itself from the rest of the new retros. Downtown stadium with the skyline view, but has plenty of parking, namely an attached garage. We originally had tickets in the third deck in left field but then this happened and was awesome:

Best nachos: Target Field. Triangular chips that didn't feel like store-brand versions of Tostitos.
Best sausage/dog: Brats at Miller Park. Makes sense.
Best beer: Old Style at Wrigley. Fuck you and your craft beer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:34 pm 

:babyarm: good read

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:58 am 
I'm a tool.

old style is piss, but when you

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Going to finish that thought?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 am 
I'm a tool.

cap wrote:
old style is piss, but when you

but when you go to wrigley that is the most affordable beer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

*exhale*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:27 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Made another trip down to Minute Maid on Saturday. I bought the tickets a couple months ago in hopes of catching one of Rivera's last games but instead got to see Andy Pettitte's. It was special. The Astros are still dreadful. No one wants to admit it, but Pettitte's final game wouldn't have been so awesome against any of the other 28 teams. He would've had to fight against anyone else. I think the Jacksox could beat the Astros. And that's with Dirty Dead Stu on the mound. The crowd was about 3 to 1 Yankees fans and my whole section was full of them. So was the hotel we stayed at the ballpark. Houston may be a shithole, but downtown near the ballpark and where the Rockets play is pretty nice. But it's still humid as a mug there. I still appreciate the retractable roofs they have in these swamp ass-inducing climates, but an open air field just feels so much righter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:20 am 
I'm a tool.

Did any Yankee players cry like a bitch at the game?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:45 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

cap wrote:

So Christian.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
cap wrote:

So Christian.

Is that a yes?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
cap wrote:

So Christian.

Is that a yes?

I think that's a yes, and it goes for their fans, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

No, no one cried.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:50 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
No, no one cried.

How could you tell? You probably couldn't see anything through all of your tears.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Tit Whistle wrote:
No, no one cried.

How could you tell? You probably couldn't see anything through all of your tears.

I don't cry over baseball. Meg Ryan movies? That's different.