Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010 Season
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Is Molina coming back and if not then you can't really roll with Treanor as your starter can you? He's almost as old as Molina anyways.

I'm fine rolling with Moreland most the time at 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:08 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Moreland is the real deal. He will be ok at first. Not once did he look lost at the plate like Davis and Smoak. Expect him to move up to 5 in the order behind Hamilton and Cruz.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:09 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Stu wrote:
Moreland is the real deal. He will be ok at first. Not once did he look lost at the plate like Davis and Smoak. Expect him to move up to 5 in the order behind Hamilton and Cruz.

You said the same thing about Davis once.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:12 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Tit Whistle wrote:
Stu wrote:

You said the same thing about Davis once.

I think Smoak will be a great first baseman. He just wasn't ready at the plate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 am 
Site Admin

They're not going to have the money to upgrade C, both corner infielders, CF and re-sign Cliff Lee. A lot of players who had big years are arbitration eligible, so they'll need to budget for that. And they've also made it clear that they are going to pay Cliff Lee if he wants to stay, so they'll need to budget for that. If you go out and "get someone" at other positions, will you be able to re-sign all the guys whose contracts are up soon? The Rangers are "stuck" with Mike Young. Nobody wants that salary and he's still a good player overall. If you want to DH him for 33% of the games and let Blanco play 3B, fine, but you need to be DHing Hamilton quite a bit too. If Francouer is still here, he is probably the 5th outfielder or a platoon guy with Murph (since RW is obsessed with righty/lefty). I think you have to let Moreland and Chris Davis fight it out at 1B. I don't really have much of an opinion on C, but I'm rooting for Teagarden with Ramirez as the backup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Admin

fruitdog wrote:
What's wrong with Murphy in left Hamilton in center and Cruz in right with Borbon as the 4th with the condition that Hamilton gets a lot time off and at DH?

This.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:52 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
They're not going to have the money to upgrade C, both corner infielders, CF and re-sign Cliff Lee. A lot of players who had big years are arbitration eligible, so they'll need to budget for that. And they've also made it clear that they are going to pay Cliff Lee if he wants to stay, so they'll need to budget for that. If you go out and "get someone" at other positions, will you be able to re-sign all the guys whose contracts are up soon? The Rangers are "stuck" with Mike Young. Nobody wants that salary and he's still a good player overall. If you want to DH him for 33% of the games and let Blanco play 3B, fine, but you need to be DHing Hamilton quite a bit too. If Francouer is still here, he is probably the 5th outfielder or a platoon guy with Murph (since RW is obsessed with righty/lefty). I think you have to let Moreland and Chris Davis fight it out at 1B. I don't really have much of an opinion on C, but I'm rooting for Teagarden with Ramirez as the backup.

:mad:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Hamilton, Cruz and Wilson are all arbitration eligible and will receive handsome raises.

Murphy, O'Day, Nippert and Lowe are also arbitration eligible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Not that I know anything, but can Moreland play 3rd and move Young over to 1st? Perhaps he wouldn't be so exposed and you wouldn't have to over pay for him to just DH.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 am 
I'm a tool.

or somesuch wrote:
Hamilton, Cruz and Wilson are all arbitration eligible and will receive handsome raises.

Murphy, O'Day, Nippert and Lowe are also arbitration eligible.

somey raises

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Not that I know anything, but can Moreland play 3rd and move Young over to 1st? Perhaps he wouldn't be so exposed and you wouldn't have to over pay for him to just DH.

Mitch Moreland throws left. When did you start watching baseball?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

Don't remember the exact date, but it was sometime in August.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:

Now you got me considering a move.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

What other options do they have for a 5th starter (or a 4th and 5th if they don't sign Cliff Lee and I say 4th and 5th for quantity, not quality)? Are there other ace-types available if Lee isn't back? I noticed yesterday that Chris Young is free. He's no replacement for Lee, but he's not terrible. Are any of the prospects like Kirkman or Sheppers possible starters?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

So...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Admin

bigboy wrote:
What other options do they have for a 5th starter (or a 4th and 5th if they don't sign Cliff Lee and I say 4th and 5th for quantity, not quality)? Are there other ace-types available if Lee isn't back? I noticed yesterday that Chris Young is free. He's no replacement for Lee, but he's not terrible. Are any of the prospects like Kirkman or Sheppers possible starters?

So are you getting rid of Holland or Hunter?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
bigboy wrote:

So are you getting rid of Holland or Hunter?

Who am I missing?

CJ, Colby, and Hunter are the only ones I would call locks for the rotation. If they don't sign Lee, that leaves 2 open spots, right? Did Holland show them much this year? I like the guy, but he was painfully inconsistent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:35 am 
Site Admin

If they sign Lee I think you take your chances with Holland, Feldman, Nippert or Harden assuming they are still under contract. We are talking about the fifth starter after all.

If they don't sign Lee then sure go get someone but it's hard to speculate till Lee makes a decision.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Harden is free but who cares?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I heard a rumor on overnight radio that the Yanks were going to offer Lee 5/125. If that's the case we don't need to wonder if he's going to be here or not. The idea of paying a 38 year old 25 mil might be okay with the Yankees, but that's too risky for the Rangers to chance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
I heard a rumor on overnight radio that the Yanks were going to offer Lee 5/125. If that's the case we don't need to wonder if he's going to be here or not. The idea of paying a 38 year old 25 mil might be okay with the Yankees, but that's too risky for the Rangers to chance.

:babyarm: I heard that on Mike and Mike too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Sweet Greggo wrote:

Jesus Christ dude, stop posting. He's only 31.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:47 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

I heard the Musers a couple of days ago say they thought he was going to be 33 around the start of the season. Screw me then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:52 am 
Site Admin

August 30th 1978 so I guess he's 32. He's also not a power pitcher so I don't doubt that he can pitch well into his late 30s.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:55 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Sweet Greggo wrote:
fruitdog wrote:
Sweet Greggo wrote:

I heard the Musers a couple of days ago say they thought he was going to be 33 around the start of the season. Screw me then.

He's 32 and he turns 33 toward the end of next season. All this talk about his age is kinda silly. I'd be more concerned with his health than his age. If his back problems persist, he could be costly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

If you let him walk, you can probably say good-bye to these fun Octobers. They may be in the playoffs again next year, but I can't see them advancing without Lee. And apparently LAA is going to load up again this offseason, so who even knows about winning the AL west. The core of this team is built to win now. If Lee gets a 5 yr/125 mil offer from NYY, I give him 6/150 and worry about the consequences later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

By the way, let's not be so quick to say CJ and Colby will repeat their seasons. Feldman had a good 2009. Fuck it, blow this thing up and rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

or somesuch wrote:
By the way, let's not be so quick to say CJ and Colby will repeat their seasons. Feldman had a good 2009. Fuck it, blow this thing up and rebuild.

Maybe one of those guys drops off and maybe Feldman goes back to 2009 form.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:13 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:
If you let him walk, you can probably say good-bye to these fun Octobers. They may be in the playoffs again next year, but I can't see them advancing without Lee. And apparently LAA is going to load up again this offseason, so who even knows about winning the AL west. The core of this team is built to win now. If Lee gets a 5 yr/125 mil offer from NYY, I give him 6/150 and worry about the consequences later.

The Yanks will go even higher than that. They need a pitcher and no one else fits what they need. How about this: Yanks sign Lee; Rangers sign Carl Pavano. Deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

:gammy: "When they sign Lee, why don't we just sign Sabathia?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:12 pm 
I'm a tool.

or somesuch wrote:
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

or somesuch wrote:

:gammy: "Wait, isn't Kevin Brown still pitching?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm 
I'm a tool.

:txpatriot:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 pm 

ESPN has fired Jon Miller and Joe Morgan from their Sunday Night Baseball broadcasts. WTF.

I like both guys but they've been on for 21 years, so I guess their time is up. Not only that, but ratings for baseball aren't that great any more, so I guess ESPN wants to trick things up. Maybe they could hire Josh, Tag, and Knoxie.

It is shocking the amount of hate that Morgan has built up over the years. Even though I'm a gripey old sonofabitch, I have NEVER become aggravated over anything he has said, not even once. However, plenty of people have. It's not like he flaps his back arm while he makes his baseball points, people.

Hoob.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:20 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Most people don't like Morgan because he refuses to acknowledge sabermetrics and other new stats the geeks like to use. He's stuck on Avg, OBP, RBIs, ERA, and W-L. I didn't like him because he wouldn't admit any team might've been better than his Big Red Machine back in the 70s. I always liked Jon Miller except for his awful dress shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

While we're on the subject of firing baseball commentators, was Josh really that bad? I know he was a bit kitchy, but I never had a problem listening to him. Greive got on my nerves a helluva lot fast than Josh, but apparently Tag is untouchable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Admin

I always liked Miller and Morgan.

and to answer gam - I always liked Lewin too. I don't need a 100% baseball guy to tell me about every little detail. Because I already understand it anyway. Make me laugh. Talk about hummus. I think Grieve sucks, but I realize that's a terrible thing to say around these parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:38 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

I've said it many times before, Josh was annoying as hell if you're a fan of the visiting team. Tag just seems eternally grumpy because Texas isn't the center of the baseball universe, but I don't have a problem with him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 am 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

This may have already been brought up but Lewin is on 105.3 opposite Norm. I like Lewin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Tit Whistle wrote:
Most people don't like Morgan because he refuses to acknowledge sabermetrics and other new stats the geeks like to use. He's stuck on Avg, OBP, RBIs, ERA, and W-L. I didn't like him because he wouldn't admit any team might've been better than his Big Red Machine back in the 70s. I always liked Jon Miller except for his awful dress shirts.

Morgan also would either misremember or totally make shit up. He'd say something like 'when I used to play with so and so..." and he never fucking played with the guy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 am 
Site Admin

or somesuch wrote:
I always liked Miller and Morgan.

and to answer gam - I always liked Lewin too. I don't need a 100% baseball guy to tell me about every little detail. Because I already understand it anyway. Make me laugh. Talk about hummus. I think Grieve sucks, but I realize that's a terrible thing to say around these parts.

:babyarm: It's like talking shit about Rusty Greer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Was Greer really that great?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next