Nostalgic? Here's the... Way Old Forum | Out of Date Site | If you'd like to help keep Remove Rowdy going, donations are appreciated. About $400 a year nowadays is required for hosting and domain fees.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Look at Old Children's Shows. Love, Hoob
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 pm 

I got to thinking about watching Romper Room as a kid. Here are various things about the version that was broadcast in the DFW area:

1. It was on channel 11, which used to be an independent station.
2. There were many versions of this show all over the country and even overseas. They all had the same formula, though.
3. The host was "Miss Mary Lynn," which I actually remembered
4. Miss Mary Lynn would later marry Phil Crow, who has produced Texas Rangers games. She has since remarried some other guy, but she goes by Dr. Mary Lynn Crow.
5. She is now a Licensed Clinical Psychologist in Fort Worth.
6. There are only four things I remember from this show: a) the prayer they'd say before eating a snack (God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, Amen). b) the balloon balls on strings they would play with, c) her cuing music by saying "Mister Music, and d) looking through the magic mirror and calling out names of viewers in TV land. She never said "I see Hoob." Sad.
7. In doing research for this dumb entry I saw the story of a Phoenix Romper Room hostess who had taken thalidomide during pregnancy and had to go to Sweden for an abortion. The fetus had no legs and one arm.

That really cheered me up.

Hoob.

Post subject: Re: A Look at Old Children's Shows. Love, Hoob
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am 
Site Admin

jim jack wrote:
(God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, Amen)

Everytime I tried to pull that one out for predinner pray or the even more popular 'Good Lord, good food, good meat, let's eat' I would get smacked upside the head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:13 pm 

fruitdog wrote:
jim jack wrote:
(God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food, Amen)

Everytime I tried to pull that one out for predinner pray or the even more popular 'Good Lord, good food, good meat, let's eat' I would get smacked upside the head.

In a dark homage to their hostess, Phoenix Romper Room kids were smacked upside the head for changing the predinner prayer to 'Good Lord, good food, a baby died, thalidomide'.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

:D so dark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:16 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

Slam Bang Theater's title image always disturbed me. I think it was Punch n Judy.

Every Sunday morning I watched Bill Kelly introduce Davey and Goliath and Jot shows. Then he would read the Sunday funnies with some lucky kid. When he would read Dagwood's boss' cursing he would grunt "sasser frasser rasser ramble". Good times.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:31 pm 
Forum Illuminati
Forum Illuminati

fruitdog wrote:
:D so dark

:babyarm:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:31 pm 
I'm a tool.

go to hell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 am 

I've been looking at the lineup of 1969 Saturday morning cartoons for an entire hour. It brings back memories.

7:00
CBS-Jetsons
ABC-Casper
NBC-Heckle and Jeckle
Hoob's comment: I was asleep and usually missed these shows.

7:30
CBS-Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour
ABC-Smokey the Bear
NBC-Heckle and Jeckle
Hoob's comment: I usually watched Bugs.

8:00
CBS-Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour
ABC-Catanooga Cats
NBC-Here Comes the Grump

8:30
CBS-Dastardly & Mutley Flying Machines
ABC-Catanooga Cats
NBC-Pink Panther (debut)
Other than the cool theme song, the Catanooga Cats wasn't much about the Cats, but other sub-cartoons instead like "It's the Wolf."

9:00
CBS-Penelope Pitstop
ABC-Hot Wheels
NBC-H.R. Pufnstuf
I had to alternate with my sister at 9:00. I got to watch Hot Wheels one week, she got to watch Pufnstuf the next. I loved Hot Wheels. Too bad the FCC labeled this as a 30 minute commercial and kick the show the hell off of the air. It's cool now to say you watched Pufnstuf. Really? Pufnstuf was for fags and it is overrated.

9:30
CBS-Scooby Doo
ABC-Hardy Boys
NBC-Banana Splits
Hoob's comment: I hated all 3 of these and went outside during this time.

10:00
CBS-Archie Comedy Hour
ABC-Sky Hawks
NBC-Banana Splits
I think I watched Archie. I hated the Banana Splits and don't remember Sky Hawks.

10:30
CBS-Archie Comedy Hour
ABC-Gulliver
NBC-Jambo
WTF is Jambo?

11:00
CBS-The Monkees
ABC-Fantastic Voyage
NBC-Flintstones Reruns
I watched the Monkees.

11:30
CBS-Wacky Races
ABC-American Bandstand
NBC-Underdog
Since the Wacky Races were reruns and I had seen them all, I watched reruns of Underdog, which I had not seen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 pm 

When I was 10, a Saturday morning show came on called, "Lance Link, Secret Chimp." This show had monkeys with human voiceovers. As kids, we always thought the monkeys were chewing gum to make their mouths move. The show was a monkey version of Get Smart, complete with good guys, bad guys, spies, and the like.

How much did I like this show? I got a cassette tape recorder for Christmas that year, and my sister and I wasted hours recording our own skits. I was Lancelot, and she was Mata Hairi, his female friend. My sister could talk exactly like Mata.

I learned a few years ago that some of the guys involved with this show were former writers for Get Smart. Oh, and my sister has no memory of this show. Dumb broad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:44 pm 

Sweet Greggo wrote:
Slam Bang Theater's title image always disturbed me. I think it was Punch n Judy.

Every Sunday morning I watched Bill Kelly introduce Davey and Goliath and Jot shows. Then he would read the Sunday funnies with some lucky kid. When he would read Dagwood's boss' cursing he would grunt "sasser frasser rasser ramble". Good times.

I really liked The Children's Hour, and we always watched it before heading to church. Bill Kelly was talented. I think he drew some on this show, too.

Some episodes of Davey and Goliath have been poo-pooed by the PC crowd. One of those was "Man of the House," which was one of my faves.

And Jot? We had an old guy in our town who was known for jacking off. His name was Tom, and we called him "Jack off Tom," which later got shortened to JOT. Shame on us.